FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Cultural Appropiation

Cultural Appropiation

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Pepopy criticising Adele.

In my opinion. Anybody who accuses another of cultural appropriation is a moron.

End of...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Well that's settled that then

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Well it's true.. I get fed up of people criticising others for so called cultural appropriation.. if anything it's a compliment

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

When it comes to hairstyles I think what the actual fuck.

Bigger battles to fight.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

more like cultural APPRECIATION ..

Brixton girl.. probably grew up with lots of amazing British/Jamaican influences on her life.

By *oodnitegirlWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

What’s she done?

By *oodnitegirlWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

"What’s she done?"

Ah just see it.

Side note... Christ, If I had a new figure that good I’d be rocking than teeny Jamaican bikini too

Super glad there's so many cultural appropriation expert here, I came to the right place

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

I don't think it's appropriation if the person has a respect and understanding of the culture and it's history.

I think that the criticism of Adele is unhelpful, drawing a colour line between cultures only serves to increase segregation and sets race relations backwards.

By *bi_AstrayTV/TS  over a year ago

Plymouth

"When it comes to hairstyles I think what the actual fuck.

Bigger battles to fight.

"

Had this discussion with a friend, she had been talking to a Caribbean friend about white people having dreadlocks, whilst they're not exactly sure where dreadlocks originated it was either Egypt or India and Germanic tribesmen and vikings were known to wear dreadlocks, it certainly never started with afro-Caribbeans, she was still adamant that it was cultural appropriation though.

I'm sure if a native american chief was at a festival and watched pissed up stoned people bumble around in a native american headdress, they maybe offended. Not sure there are many native american chiefs attending festivals though. I guess it's sort of like a walter mitty situation, headdresses were earned and embellished over time.

Welcome to life in the world of the perpetually offended

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"What’s she done?"

Lost a load of weight?

Made a load of money?

Can't stand her music but good luck to anyone who can achieve what she has

By *istretchMan  over a year ago

leeds

So if thats the case im 3rd gen Norwegian so im more entitled to dredlocks , now im offended steeling my culture .

I think it entirely depends on whither someone of the culture in question is actually offended.

Being offended on behalf of others is a waste of everyone’s energy if the “offended party” doesn’t give a shit.

I use the example of the Ghost in the Shell movie with Scarlett Johansson. There was huge outrage that Johansson was cast as the Major in the film, with many accusing the studio of whitewashing the anime/manga for a western audience.

However, the film did well in Japan, with little or no reaction to any apparent “whitewashing”. The fact that The Major as a character has always been drawn or animated with western features should be mentioned too

So yeah... make your own mind up, but I try not to take offence on behalf of others.

By *aul1973HullMan  over a year ago

East Hull

There will always be somebody who gets offended at the actions of others.

I wonder how many of those bitching at Adele for wearing a Jamaican flag bikini also have a favorite UB40 song? or enjoy eating Italian/Chinese/Indian food? We're all influenced by what we find appealing no matter what culture it originated from.

By *emma HoldenTV/TS  over a year ago

Ramsey

Nobody says a thing about black people dying their hair blonde, notably premiership footballers & popstars etc. How is that not racial appropriation when a white girl with dreadlocks is? Please explain the difference as I can't see it. Can't have one without the other.

» Add a new message to this topic