FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > MSM and manipulation

MSM and manipulation

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he BWC OP   Man  over a year ago

Stafford

What are your thoughts on the MSM and manipulation of the masses.

Eveytume your on social media everything gets logged and churned through and then all of a sudden you see ads for example on fb that are catered to your likes / interests. Do you think that MSM are manipulating ppl and changing their thought processes.

I for one think that it is. Its more than just a case of big brother is watching you.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What's MSM

That's called cookies. The stuff you search is remembered and saved and then brought up in other places as ads to try and get your attention. It's possible to switch all these settings off, no conspiracy theory needed.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think it's up to us to critique what we're told and exercise critical thinking. Switch it off.

Stafford

"What's MSM "

Main stream media (Google, fb, snap, tiktok etc)

I was at a friends a few weeks back talking about how I needed a back rub and my shoulders cracked back into place.

For weeks now her tailored ads have been for back treatments, massagers all sorts.

She has an alexa, and thats exactly why I wont have one.

I will ask my influencer

Stafford

"I was at a friends a few weeks back talking about how I needed a back rub and my shoulders cracked back into place.

For weeks now her tailored ads have been for back treatments, massagers all sorts.

She has an alexa, and thats exactly why I wont have one.

"

Your not the only one I have heard of similar things going on.

Manchester (she/her)

"What's MSM

Main stream media (Google, fb, snap, tiktok etc) "

I think apart from Google that's social media.

Mainstream media is non fringe news outlets.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Watch The Social Dilemma and you’ll get some of your questions answered

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I thought this was about men who have sex with men

Manchester (she/her)

"I thought this was about men who have sex with men "

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I think it's more a case that Social Media is quite intrusive if you want it to be, and people seem to live in an echo chamber on social media. Once you add in that anyone can be an "expert" (and I use the term loosely), then it's a bit of a recipe for disaster.

Hence the whole conspiracy theories taking off.

Just my 2p

Mr KC

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

"What are your thoughts on the MSM and manipulation of the masses.

Eveytume your on social media everything gets logged and churned through and then all of a sudden you see ads for example on fb that are catered to your likes / interests. Do you think that MSM are manipulating ppl and changing their thought processes.

I for one think that it is. Its more than just a case of big brother is watching you. "

Mainstream media and social media are two different things. You seem to be conflating the two.

The BBC is mainstream media and Facebook is social media. Which are you talking about?

Is social media manipulating people? Yes. It is in their interests to keep you in a bubble where they show you things you already agree with or things that get you riled up and messaging about. Moderate content does not achieve that in the way that extreme content does. It's a good business model for them. It's shit for the world though.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

"I thought this was about men who have sex with men

"

I blame work

Watch the great hack on Netflix that goes into everything about it

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

They don't need to manipulate , MSM like the guardian and daily mail exist because the people that read them already think that way , they don't take any convincing, they even expect and value fake news that adds to the narrative

This was written in 1951, quite accurate..

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7662360

Manchester (she/her)

"I think it's more a case that Social Media is quite intrusive if you want it to be, and people seem to live in an echo chamber on social media. Once you add in that anyone can be an "expert" (and I use the term loosely), then it's a bit of a recipe for disaster.

Hence the whole conspiracy theories taking off.

Just my 2p

Mr KC"

I need to find and reread the article I read on conspiracy theories. I think it was from the University of Queensland. On how adherence involves an authoritarian mindset and a sense of powerlessness/ loss of control, so a need to blame someone.

Obviously the jumps involve both cognitive flaws and an inflated sense of one's own intellect.

Ruislip

"They don't need to manipulate , MSM like the guardian and daily mail exist because the people that read them already think that way , they don't take any convincing, they even expect and value fake news that adds to the narrative

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7662360"

Here's a question people who use the "fake news" trope never answer.

How do you personally assess something as "fake news"? You presumably have some source of truth above what journalists have which enables you to compare news reports with reality so youcan make declarations like that. What is it?

Manchester (she/her)

"They don't need to manipulate , MSM like the guardian and daily mail exist because the people that read them already think that way , they don't take any convincing, they even expect and value fake news that adds to the narrative

How do you personally assess something as "fake news"? You presumably have some source of truth above what journalists have which enables you to compare news reports with reality so youcan make declarations like that. What is it? "

Christ I loathe the expression. It's an oversimplification of a complex and growing problem.

Ruislip

How do you personally assess something as "fake news"? You presumably have some source of truth above what journalists have which enables you to compare news reports with reality so youcan make declarations like that. What is it?

Christ I loathe the expression. It's an oversimplification of a complex and growing problem."

I agree. It's incredibly arrogant and damaging. Things should be considered genuine or fake based on evidence, not on whether they fit in with your preconceptions, which is how people seem to use the term.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"That's called cookies. The stuff you search is remembered and saved and then brought up in other places as ads to try and get your attention. It's possible to switch all these settings off, no conspiracy theory needed. "

Cookies... Hungry now

Manchester (she/her)

Christ I loathe the expression. It's an oversimplification of a complex and growing problem.

I agree. It's incredibly arrogant and damaging. Things should be considered genuine or fake based on evidence, not on whether they fit in with your preconceptions, which is how people seem to use the term. "

Indeed. If it seems off, consider why, consider your sources, seek out better. (Better does not mean "more agreeing with you")

» Add a new message to this topic