FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Women with naturally dark hair what do you do about your grey?

Women with naturally dark hair what do you do about your grey?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I’m literally fed up with the grey/white hairs.

Every time I have my hair coloured and roots done it only takes 2 weeks for the grey to start coming through again around my hair line, behind my ears and my parting. I manage between colours with root touch up spray bit it does my head in.

Is it time to try transitioning into blonde hair? Even though my skin colour is quite brown for blonde hair.

What do people do and does blonde hair hide the greys better or do you still have to colour your hair frequently?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I had this issue for the past few years.

I decided to go blonde in the summer. Have 2 different colours of blonde highlights and root base very similar.

Now go around 6 wks between roots and 4 mths between highlights.

"I’m literally fed up with the grey/white hairs.

Every time I have my hair coloured and roots done it only takes 2 weeks for the grey to start coming through again around my hair line, behind my ears and my parting. I manage between colours with root touch up spray bit it does my head in.

Is it time to try transitioning into blonde hair? Even though my skin colour is quite brown for blonde hair.

What do people do and does blonde hair hide the greys better or do you still have to colour your hair frequently?"

I went from dark to blonde for about 8-9 months, it does last a bit longer between colours, or maybe it is just less noticeable.

But I got bored with blonde and I am back to dark hair. I just dye it more often *Honey

i don't really mind but it's all down too you and how you feel forget what others think

Being blonde can take some getting used to, I didnt like it at all and I was sure it shows my wrinkles up more so I just went back dark and do the roots about once a month. Total pain really.

Can’t you embrace it, I think it’s hot

Dyed it blonde about 3 years ago, love it & never go back to dark now

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

I look like a witch after 2 weeks.

I've been toying with the idea of platinum coz my greys are more white than grey. Truth is tho it's cheaper to spend a tenner a month on dye and that's what I have to look at.

The last week or so before payday I normally wear a bandana

Erm, not being an hairdresser but if your hair's turned grey, apart from dyeing it all grey, arnt the growing roots always going to look grey and s different colour!

"I look like a witch after 2 weeks.

I've been toying with the idea of platinum coz my greys are more white than grey. Truth is tho it's cheaper to spend a tenner a month on dye and that's what I have to look at.

The last week or so before payday I normally wear a bandana "

i thought you still black natural wow mind blow

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

Isn't it more effort to transition to blonde to hide the grey's and maintain that blonde look compared to dying the grey's with your natural hair colour?

By *ang bang bangity bangCouple  over a year ago

Sunderland

S has been going grey in random little streaks since she was in her mid 20s.

She does nothing with it. It looks hot as fuck

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

The last week or so before payday I normally wear a bandana i thought you still black natural wow mind blow "

Nah, my hair is dark brown naturally with white roots

The last week or so before payday I normally wear a bandana i thought you still black natural wow mind blow

Nah, my hair is dark brown naturally with white roots "

tbh i one of besties anyway so still give big cuddle grey ,black or whatever

Laboratory Garnier helps me

I cant afford to go to the hairdressers

Even if i could, I would still do it myself. Cant be doing with them faffing

I have been known to leave a hairdressers half way through the blow dry thing

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Can’t you embrace it, I think it’s hot "

This would be my vote. I've not experienced it myself (yet) but Mr KC is going grey and it looks

I have grey coming through and tbh it looks cool. I have a smooth streak of grey in fringe and I like it.

"Being blonde can take some getting used to, I didnt like it at all and I was sure it shows my wrinkles up more so I just went back dark and do the roots about once a month. Total pain really. "

See, I've felt the exact same the two times I tried to go dark...really felt it aged me but maybe I didn't get the make up right to go with it. You forget about all these things when you just grab a box dye and a bottle of wine on a Friday night!

Silvery blonde here....no idea how grey I am now as they blend in with the colour. I'm jealous of folk with dark shiny hair though.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

I used to full head colour med brown and needed to find a different solution as the roots were very noticeable. So now I just have low lights of copper and brown streaked through it, they mix in with my grey and my roots are hardly noticeable

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I haven’t had it coloured since August and I had a full head of foils to try and start the process of going lighter.

I just use root touch up spray or been wearing a bobble hat when I go out!

My hair is more white than grey when it comes through. Would love to have all over silver hair but there’s so many years worth of colour build up throughout the length of my hair, it would take years to get all one colour.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I haven’t had it coloured since August and I had a full head of foils to try and start the process of going lighter.

I just use root touch up spray or been wearing a bobble hat when I go out!

My hair is more white than grey when it comes through. Would love to have all over silver hair but there’s so many years worth of colour build up throughout the length of my hair, it would take years to get all one colour. "

the hair that grows through grey is actually white, it just looks grey on your head because its mixed in with dark hair.

I went from dark brown to blonde but I was in my early to mid fifties I think you might be a bit young to consider it. I started out with highlights which bleached out in the sun and just gradually transitioned over a couple of years. I'd also say leave bleach alone and go for high lift tint if you can. Bleach ruins hair and the older you get the worse it will be.

"Being blonde can take some getting used to, I didnt like it at all and I was sure it shows my wrinkles up more so I just went back dark and do the roots about once a month. Total pain really.

See, I've felt the exact same the two times I tried to go dark...really felt it aged me but maybe I didn't get the make up right to go with it. You forget about all these things when you just grab a box dye and a bottle of wine on a Friday night!

Silvery blonde here....no idea how grey I am now as they blend in with the colour. I'm jealous of folk with dark shiny hair though."

I might not have helped I always dyed my own hair blonde, I have a phobia of hairdressers, I just never could settle under it though. Your hair now sounds the ideal colour.

I’m too dark to go blonde, I home colour my hair and yes the roots are coming through much quicker now. I’m not ready to let them grow all over yet x

I thought about going blonde or lighter but I don’t think I could pull it off, I’m naturally quite pale skinned and think I would look odd, plus I like my dark hair.

I have a big streak of grey like Rogue from X-Men, I just don’t pull it off like her so I dye my hair once a month ish with a shade that matches my natural colour.

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

Wales

I have naturally very dark hair with pale skin. I transitioned from ordinary colour to henna but it dried my hair out.

Blonde goes orange on my hair unless it is bleached to death and I didn’t want that.

So about 18 months ago I just stopped colouring it. It’s taken ages for the henna to grow out but now I have natural grey streaks (almost white) at the sides of my hair which I love. The rest of my hair is still quite dark though which I was surprised at.

It might make me look older, I dunno, but I aim to have long flowing grey hair into my old age and I don’t really give a stuff.

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

Had all my hair shaved off during first lock down, looked like a concentration camp prisoner, zero highlights so a solid block of brown, not blonde, was so grateful when I could have some colour back.

But no, EVERY six weeks, colour.

Embrace it ladies, there's nothing wrong with it...

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

I've got naturally dark blonde hair that goes much lighter at the front in the sun, and the grey hairs around my temples just blend in with it

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

My mum used to just use one of those root touch up dye kits on the parting and temples between doing a full dye.

I have dark red hair now I dye it a darker red from my natural red colour it hides the grey's better

I count myself very lucky that I've really just starting to get a lot of grey these last few months

I couldn't go blonde it just wouldn't look right on me

By *irewolffMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Its such a pain in the ass to deal with. Dont get jig time out of my salon colour.

I too wonder wtf I am going to do. Cant keep up the cost of the upkeep.

Lookee up funky grey hair do's so when I do decide to fully embrace the grey, I have an idea what I want.

Going to chat to my hairdresser on 5th Dec...booked in for roots & a chop!

MsD

I have dark hair and silvery hair at the temples.

I haven't bothered with having it coloured since February. I did have about 8 inches cut off the length in July though so I cannot pull my hair back at longer. The streaks at the side just look like that.

I am embracing the look at the moment.

Once I go back to the office fulltime and resume a social life I guess I will have the brown put back in.

By *uzie69xTV/TS  over a year ago

Maidstone

"But no, EVERY six weeks, colour."

Wow you're brave to shave head! Mind you, you are pretty and very short hair suits pretty faces...

Yep, it's home colour every six weeks for me too... Being Oriental, my hair is naturally glossy black but lots of grey coming through. So I choose a bright red in the summer which makes it dark copper. I am thorough with applying round roots but less careful applying on remaining length, which gives it highlight streaks. In winter I go deep cherry brown.

OP, have you tried different brands? Strangely I find the more expensive brands like Olia, Garnier, L'Oréal actually fade quicker. The cheaper Schwarzkopf or even Boots own brand colour last a lot longer on me.

By *iss LovelyWoman  over a year ago

Here and There

I’m growing my colour out and embracing the grey. My hair is waist length and I think I’ll always have it long, so don’t want to wait until it’s too grey to grow it out because that would look terrible and take ages. I don’t want to have to keep dying it forever.

By *uzie69xTV/TS  over a year ago

Maidstone

"Embrace it ladies, there's nothing wrong with it..."

Haha when a man goes grey, it is considered distinguished... When a woman goes grey she is well past her prime!

I am an Contractor (Agency Worker) so have to go for job interviews several times a year... You definitely don't want to look like you're past your prime...

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Embrace it ladies, there's nothing wrong with it...

Haha when a man goes grey, it is considered distinguished... When a woman goes grey she is well past her prime!

I am an Contractor (Agency Worker) so have to go for job interviews several times a year... You definitely don't want to look like you're past your prime..."

also I don't want to embrace it.

» Add a new message to this topic