FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > When your brain won't play nice

When your brain won't play nice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *az080378 OP   Woman  over a year ago

Cromer

So out of the blue, my anxiety decided to go into overdrive and I can't think rationally.

I wish sometimes I could just control my mind and not get lost in worst case scenario.

Im sorry for posting in the forums but needs some advice on how to be calm and figured posting on here was better than showing my kids how worried I feel right now!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Can you pinpoint what might have kicked it off?

Can you write it down? Talk it through with a friend, even if only via text?

Distracting yourself may help. Doing something to keep you busy.

It's a horrible feeling, hope you can kick it soon. X

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Focus on one of your extremities. A finger or a toe. How does it feel? Hot, cold, wet, prickly, pain, not, numb? Lean into it. I bet it doesn't feel anxious. Your anxiety is not your entire experience. Lean into the feeling of not anxious, whatever that is.

If you feel disconnected, try grounding. Identify several items you can feel, see, smell, hear. Name them out loud. Focus on them. Come back to your reality.

Focus on the physical sensation of breathing. The air going in your nose or mouth, and out again, the physical sensation. When your mind wanders, return to it. Don't beat yourself up when you wander (you will), just return to it.

There are other techniques, but these help me a lot when my anxiety is spiralling.

Feel better soon. Solidarity x

"So out of the blue, my anxiety decided to go into overdrive and I can't think rationally.

I wish sometimes I could just control my mind and not get lost in worst case scenario.

Im sorry for posting in the forums but needs some advice on how to be calm and figured posting on here was better than showing my kids how worried I feel right now!

"

I was in that place earlier today.

Anxiety is crap.

Don't be sorry for posting on here.

Take a few minutes to do some deep breathing, and hopefully that will calm your mind and body.

Please message me if you need too.

Xxx

"Focus on one of your extremities. A finger or a toe. How does it feel? Hot, cold, wet, prickly, pain, not, numb? Lean into it. I bet it doesn't feel anxious. Your anxiety is not your entire experience. Lean into the feeling of not anxious, whatever that is.

If you feel disconnected, try grounding. Identify several items you can feel, see, smell, hear. Name them out loud. Focus on them. Come back to your reality.

Focus on the physical sensation of breathing. The air going in your nose or mouth, and out again, the physical sensation. When your mind wanders, return to it. Don't beat yourself up when you wander (you will), just return to it.

There are other techniques, but these help me a lot when my anxiety is spiralling.

Feel better soon. Solidarity x"

This is top advice. Grounding helps to calm you down.

Cromer

"Can you pinpoint what might have kicked it off?"

Yeah, I have extreme anxiety around my children being unwell, it's pretty stupid when I think about it but pretty much always revolves around them.

Cromer

"Can you write it down? Talk it through with a friend, even if only via text?

Distracting yourself may help. Doing something to keep you busy.

It's a horrible feeling, hope you can kick it soon. X"

I'm trying but the stupid thoughts just keep coming back! Thanks for the sound advice though

My mrs has anxiety. If you need a chat you can always talk to her in the phone ok. Do not suffer in silence.

Cromer

"Focus on one of your extremities. A finger or a toe. How does it feel? Hot, cold, wet, prickly, pain, not, numb? Lean into it. I bet it doesn't feel anxious. Your anxiety is not your entire experience. Lean into the feeling of not anxious, whatever that is.

Thank you, I'm trying these things now

By *rSpriteandMsClitBangCouple  over a year ago

hadleigh

I have very similar anxieties and intrusive thoughts of graphic harm happening to me and my children.

I've recently been prescribed sertraline, and have just finished a course of counselling, but for immediate help, I definitely recommend the advice about grounding. The others that work for me are talking through the thoughts to rationalise them, using a mental safe space (you should be able to find a YouTube video to talk you through the exercise).

Good luck, deep breaths, you aren't alone

C (her) x

Cromer

"So out of the blue, my anxiety decided to go into overdrive and I can't think rationally.

I was in that place earlier today.

Anxiety is crap.

Don't be sorry for posting on here.

Take a few minutes to do some deep breathing, and hopefully that will calm your mind and body.

Please message me if you need too.

Xxx"

Thank you, its so bloody draining, I know all the right things to do but my mind doesn't seem to want to let me do them, so I go off in headless chicken mode!!

Hope you are feeling better now x

Cromer

"My mrs has anxiety. If you need a chat you can always talk to her in the phone ok. Do not suffer in silence. "

Thank you this means a lot x

"My mrs has anxiety. If you need a chat you can always talk to her in the phone ok. Do not suffer in silence.

Thank you this means a lot x"

You are welcome x

Cromer

"I have very similar anxieties and intrusive thoughts of graphic harm happening to me and my children.

I've recently been prescribed sertraline, and have just finished a course of counselling, but for immediate help, I definitely recommend the advice about grounding. The others that work for me are talking through the thoughts to rationalise them, using a mental safe space (you should be able to find a YouTube video to talk you through the exercise).

Good luck, deep breaths, you aren't alone

C (her) x"

This is exactly what I feel, when you say graphic do you mean you have visual intrusive thoughts, as that's what happens to me, I'm on sertraline and clonazepam for the anxiety but tonight I'm just feeling totally overwhelmed xx

I can't offer more help than has already been offered OP, but I'd like to send you

I'm pleased you have reached out, the community here is really special

X

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

Have you looked into CBT? It might not help for tonight but having a way forward might make you feel more hopeful. Happy to chat if it would help.

By *rSpriteandMsClitBangCouple  over a year ago

hadleigh

"This is exactly what I feel, when you say graphic do you mean you have visual intrusive thoughts, as that's what happens to me, I'm on sertraline and clonazepam for the anxiety but tonight I'm just feeling totally overwhelmed xx"

Yes, exactly that, very visual, like I'm watching a horror scene on repeat. I've been really lucky that my meds and the counseling I've had to deal with my originating trauma have really helped, and the thoughts don't get stuck on repeat now, they just pass by.

Before though, I used to find the only thing that would help me when I was really spiralling, was to mentally 'get ahead' of the thought and prevent the imagined harm. It would usually take me a few attempts but I could change the outcome of the thoughts and calm myself down. I find distraction extremely helpful too - watching something funny, doing yoga, or calling a friend.

Xx

Cromer

"I can't offer more help than has already been offered OP, but I'd like to send you

I'm pleased you have reached out, the community here is really special

X"

Thank you xxx

By *edeWoman  over a year ago

the abyss

There is some amazing advice given already especially focusing on things around you. But something else might be if you feel your anxiety it triggering worse and your body is going into 'fight or flight' mode try putting and ice cube in your mouth.

It sounds random but anxiety stops saliva production so eating and ice cube tricks the brain out of fight or flight mode

Cromer

"There is some amazing advice given already especially focusing on things around you. But something else might be if you feel your anxiety it triggering worse and your body is going into 'fight or flight' mode try putting and ice cube in your mouth.

It sounds random but anxiety stops saliva production so eating and ice cube tricks the brain out of fight or flight mode "

I've not heard that before, I will try anything thank you x

By *xtrafun4youMan  over a year ago

Dunstable

My anxiety kicked in this night last yesr. Still? Paying for it now. Get control.

By *lanor the FairWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

Great advice xx

By *urls and DressesWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere near here

I’m right there with you. I’ve been struggling over the last few days. Tonight I’m alone at work and not having a good night mentally but don’t want to disturb anyone’s celebrations. I feel so alone right now

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Hug of support to you OP and to anyone else who needs one.

By *ooo wet tight hornyWoman  over a year ago

lancashire

To OP and 'curls and tresses'....opening up on how you feel is hard, but you have done it..good for you..and help is here, just reach out and grab hold of it, your welcome to message me on forum or privately..Big hugs to you both.. x

By *ooo wet tight hornyWoman  over a year ago

lancashire

Bloody hell its Dresses not tresses....so sorry!!! x

By *hubaysiWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"I’m right there with you. I’ve been struggling over the last few days. Tonight I’m alone at work and not having a good night mentally but don’t want to disturb anyone’s celebrations. I feel so alone right now"

Chin up honey. Hope everyone is getting through tonight including OP xx

By *ed VoluptaWoman  over a year ago

Wirral.

"Can you pinpoint what might have kicked it off?

Yeah, I have extreme anxiety around my children being unwell, it's pretty stupid when I think about it but pretty much always revolves around them. "

It's not stupid, OP.

We all know it's irrational when we're not in the grips of it. But anxiety is insidious, that's how it gets us.

Some excellent advice on the thread, I hope you are feeling calmer now?

Love & hugs xx

By *ed VoluptaWoman  over a year ago

Wirral.

"I’m right there with you. I’ve been struggling over the last few days. Tonight I’m alone at work and not having a good night mentally but don’t want to disturb anyone’s celebrations. I feel so alone right now"

I hope you are ok, too.

Please don't worry about disturbing celebrations - most of I can't anyway!

Chat on here if it can make you feel better.

Love & hugs xx

"

Massive hugs Sweetie. I've not read all the responses, but wanted to add some of my anxiety self-care ideas for when I'm at home.

Fluffy blanket to wrap up in as a protector to shut anxiety out.

Notebook/journal to doodle, draw, write, scribble in.

Favourite uplifting music.

Candles

Contacting someone you can let know you're not great and just having them on the phone for you.

xxx

By *iggyStarjumpsMan  over a year ago

Stockport

Great advice already on this thread. All I can add is virtual hugs and admiration for opening up. Hope you feel better soon x

I'm also on Sertraline for my anxiety and depression. Please see your doctor as soon as you can xx

» Add a new message to this topic