FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Cyclists on Racing bikes

Cyclists on Racing bikes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

I was on a dual carriagway this morning. The roads were quiet and I see a Lycra clad man on a push bike hogging the inside lane.. I indicated and moved to overtake safely..

Not sure that a dual carriageway is the place for cycling

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Chelmsford

"I was on a dual carriagway this morning. The roads were quiet and I see a Lycra clad man on a push bike hogging the inside lane.. I indicated and moved to overtake safely..

Not sure that a dual carriageway is the place for cycling "

He put himself in danger

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

To be honest I agree with you because drivers are more dangerous. A lot drive faster than the posted speed limit and think nothing of other legal road users. The amount of drivers who think they only have to indicate for a millisecond before moving out because they haven't planned well enough ahead for the upcoming obstruction, be that a cyclist or slower moving vehicle. Luckily I leave good breaking distances but still causes me to have to then slow down to allow good breaking distance as they have slotted in where they shouldn't have.

In fact just this week a cyclist was killed on a dual carriageway not far from my house. They hold regular TT events on this road with clear warning signs etc. Have to admit though I'm not sure where I stand on it being used for racing events when the road is open though.

evesham

"I was on a dual carriagway this morning. The roads were quiet and I see a Lycra clad man on a push bike hogging the inside lane.. I indicated and moved to overtake safely..

He put himself in danger "

We all put ourselves in danger whenever we get on the roads, Tom.

Cyclists are legal on dual carriageways and driver should be aware of them.

Chelmsford

"To be honest I agree with you because drivers are more dangerous. A lot drive faster than the posted speed limit and think nothing of other legal road users. The amount of drivers who think they only have to indicate for a millisecond before moving out because they haven't planned well enough ahead for the upcoming obstruction, be that a cyclist or slower moving vehicle. Luckily I leave good breaking distances but still causes me to have to then slow down to allow good breaking distance as they have slotted in where they shouldn't have.

In fact just this week a cyclist was killed on a dual carriageway not far from my house. They hold regular TT events on this road with clear warning signs etc. Have to admit though I'm not sure where I stand on it being used for racing events when the road is open though. "

Very sad.. the two don't mix

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

the ones i hate are the groups who block the whole side of the rod, ants manage to walk in line, why cant the licra cock wombles do it?

Chelmsford

And sadly, go pro cameras do o not protect you

evesham

[Removed by poster at 16/07/21 21:05:11]

evesham

"the ones i hate are the groups who block the whole side of the rod, ants manage to walk in line, why cant the licra cock wombles do it?"

= = = =

Is easier to pass than

- - - - - - - -

Surely?

Also its to make them more visible to cars approaching them.

Chelmsford

Some of them rode in the middle of the road to prove a point

I gave up road cycling a couple of years ago after getting rear ended by a van (normal road, not a dual carriageway).

I don’t know if it’s attitudes, standards of driving/riding, the increase in road users or a combination of all but the roads just don’t feel half as safe as they used to.

evesham

"Some of them rode in the middle of the road to prove a point"

Because they're allowed to for their safety.

Chelmsford

"Some of them rode in the middle of the road to prove a point

Because they're allowed to for their safety. "

With cameras on their helmets...

They need to keep to the left for their own safety. I drive slow but lots of lunatics out there driving too fast

Cyclists would appear to be exempt from speed limits ?

Like anything else, good morists, bad motorists, good cyclists bad cyclists

Now where's that sticky toffee pudding ?

"Cyclists would appear to be exempt from speed limits ? "

Yes and no. They can’t be charged/prosecuted with speeding because bicycles don’t have a fitted/calibrated speedo. There is however something like a furious cycling law that can be used.

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

"the ones i hate are the groups who block the whole side of the rod, ants manage to walk in line, why cant the licra cock wombles do it?"
because it’s safer to ride two abreast and they have just as much rite to be on the road as people in cars

Chelmsford

If I were the Minister of Transport then I would ban these buggers

evesham

"If I were the Minister of Transport then I would ban these buggers "

You got your big spoon out tonight huh, Tom

Chelmsford

It's blooming dangerous

Chelmsford

"If I were the Minister of Transport then I would ban these buggers

You got your big spoon out tonight huh, Tom "

Stop it

All that money used in cycle paths for said cycle paths to become a dog bog

"the ones i hate are the groups who block the whole side of the rod, ants manage to walk in line, why cant the licra cock wombles do it? because it’s safer to ride two abreast and they have just as much rite to be on the road as people in cars "

Wouldn't mind 2 abreast,it's when they are 4or5 abreast ablivious to the mile of cars behind them. And yes before my knees went I cycled,but always tried to make way for cars

This thread shows a lot of intolerance for others. People ride bikes on roads, they have done for a very long time and they will continue to do so. I’m sure we all like the medal tally our Olympic cyclists add every 4 years, they race and train on the roads.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Yes yes yes !! Mark this day in the calender. For once, I actually agree with Tom!!

Chelmsford

"This thread shows a lot of intolerance for others. People ride bikes on roads, they have done for a very long time and they will continue to do so. I’m sure we all like the medal tally our Olympic cyclists add every 4 years, they race and train on the roads. "

Most of the medals come from the velodrome but no place on modern roads for cyclists.. stick to cycle pathways

Chelmsford

Yes yes yes !! Mark this day in the calender. For once, I actually agree with Tom!! "

You agree ?

"This thread shows a lot of intolerance for others. People ride bikes on roads, they have done for a very long time and they will continue to do so. I’m sure we all like the medal tally our Olympic cyclists add every 4 years, they race and train on the roads. "

i agree and like i said i used to race, but cyclists do often cause problems, nr us there was a great expence a cycle lane put in on a main road, the cyclists dont use it and use the road still. im not bashing all cyclists, many are very respectful, but as usual every group has its idiots

"This thread shows a lot of intolerance for others. People ride bikes on roads, they have done for a very long time and they will continue to do so. I’m sure we all like the medal tally our Olympic cyclists add every 4 years, they race and train on the roads.

Most of the medals come from the velodrome but no place on modern roads for cyclists.. stick to cycle pathways "

You know many Olympic cyclists? Mark Cavendish, Bradley Wiggins? They race and train on the road and win medals on the track.

darlington

"the ones i hate are the groups who block the whole side of the rod, ants manage to walk in line, why cant the licra cock wombles do it? because it’s safer to ride two abreast and they have just as much rite to be on the road as people in cars

Wouldn't mind 2 abreast,it's when they are 4or5 abreast ablivious to the mile of cars behind them. And yes before my knees went I cycled,but always tried to make way for cars"

can’t you just be patient and when it’s safe over take them ? It’s probably a safety thing that they ride like that I’m not in anyway familiar with the rules of cycling on roads I just give them time and space and overtake when safe but then again I’m never in a rush to get anywhere now I just plod along

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Yes yes yes !! Mark this day in the calender. For once, I actually agree with Tom!!

You agree ? "

Yes ban those buggars. Not only do they take ages to pass, hogging the lane with their slowness. They also look ridiculous, the mamils.

Chelmsford

"the ones i hate are the groups who block the whole side of the rod, ants manage to walk in line, why cant the licra cock wombles do it? because it’s safer to ride two abreast and they have just as much rite to be on the road as people in cars

Wouldn't mind 2 abreast,it's when they are 4or5 abreast ablivious to the mile of cars behind them. And yes before my knees went I cycled,but always tried to make way for cars can’t you just be patient and when it’s safe over take them ? It’s probably a safety thing that they ride like that I’m not in anyway familiar with the rules of cycling on roads I just give them time and space and overtake when safe but then again I’m never in a rush to get anywhere now I just plod along "

I am patient.. I just fear for their safety...they think they are invincible

Anyone on two wheels on the road puts themselves in danger. Cycling is my main exercise these days but I barely touch roads, only when I have to.

Oh an anti cyclist.

Chelmsford

"Anyone on two wheels on the road puts themselves in danger. Cycling is my main exercise these days but I barely touch roads, only when I have to."

Ban the buggers off the road

darlington

Wouldn't mind 2 abreast,it's when they are 4or5 abreast ablivious to the mile of cars behind them. And yes before my knees went I cycled,but always tried to make way for cars can’t you just be patient and when it’s safe over take them ? It’s probably a safety thing that they ride like that I’m not in anyway familiar with the rules of cycling on roads I just give them time and space and overtake when safe but then again I’m never in a rush to get anywhere now I just plod along

I am patient.. I just fear for their safety...they think they are invincible "

I’m sure they don’t to be honest I’d imagine they feel anything but invincible and who can blame them when you see certain comments

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Ban cars instead

You agree ?

Yes ban those buggars. Not only do they take ages to pass, hogging the lane with their slowness. They also look ridiculous, the mamils. "

What other groups do you show your disdain for? This is just another form of intolerance. Ban this, outlaw that. Looking to the government to protect you from being slightly inconvenienced while I’m guessing also grumbling about how much tax you have to pay.

Live and let live.

evesham

He's just winding people up. It's his forum thing.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Crikey Tom you are distracted by women in lycra and think cyclists pose a danger to motorists. I think it might be best if you don't drive, it's clearly far too stressful for you.

"Crikey Tom you are distracted by women in lycra and think cyclists pose a danger to motorists. I think it might be best if you don't drive, it's clearly far too stressful for you."

Probably for the best.

By *jkuk72Man  over a year ago

London & Herts

I'm a road cyclist and always avoid dual carriageways. Just not safe. Quiet(ish) country lanes (wherever possible) is where we should be riding

By *iving Bi a TryMan  over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

It's safer in a block.

If the cyclist is anywhere in the lane, you need to cross the white line to overtake, thereby giving them enough room. So it doesn't matter if there are two of them abreast, you still need to cross the white line to pass them safely, just cross it all the way.

If there is a car coming toward you, you will have to wait. Don't worry, this might add about a minute to your journey, perhaps only 15 seconds.

What often happens though is that a cyclist thinks it's safe to be near the kerb and drivers will squeeze past them even when there is oncoming traffic. The cyclist is in all the gravel, broken glass, drains etc in the gutter. The car passes them way too close and makes them wobble or even crash.

The roads are there for all legal road users, cyclists being one of the groups!

Gbat

On a dual carriage way i mean i know that TdF can do 60km uphill, but us mere mortals would struggle to hit 50/60km downhill

By *iving Bi a TryMan  over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"All that money used in cycle paths for said cycle paths to become a dog bog"

Trouble is, if the cycle path doesn't go where I want to go, then I use the road. I'd prefer the cycle path but they are often poorly designed and very selective in their destination.

Gbat

He put himself in danger "

It's great that you applied common sense and gave the slower road user thoughtful space, i am sure they were grateful even if it wasnt apparent

However, that attitude is what stinks about blaming all victims... She was r*ped because she put herself in danger

By *jkuk72Man  over a year ago

London & Herts

"Cyclists would appear to be exempt from speed limits ?

On a dual carriage way i mean i know that TdF can do 60km uphill, but us mere mortals would struggle to hit 50/60km downhill "

Yep!

evesham

"All that money used in cycle paths for said cycle paths to become a dog bog

Trouble is, if the cycle path doesn't go where I want to go, then I use the road. I'd prefer the cycle path but they are often poorly designed and very selective in their destination.

Gbat"

They're also poorly maintained and littered with all sorts of debris that cause punctures etc.

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

He put himself in danger

It's great that you applied common sense and gave the slower road user thoughtful space, i am sure they were grateful even if it wasnt apparent

However, that attitude is what stinks about blaming all victims... She was r*ped because she put herself in danger "

Chelmsford

Poorly maintained...?

Like the real roads are great.. I hear some cyclists would rather antagonise other road users then stick to their designated lanes..

But if a car driver drives down a cycle lane then the same idiots would be the first to moan..

"Poorly maintained...?

Like the real roads are great.. I hear some cyclists would rather antagonise other road users then stick to their designated lanes..

But if a car driver drives down a cycle lane then the same idiots would be the first to moan.. "

What an *sshole comment

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Poorly maintained...?

But if a car driver drives down a cycle lane then the same idiots would be the first to moan.. "

Maybe if you rode a bike occasionally you would be more tolerant. Cyclists have every right to be on the road. Far more annoying to me, are other drivers that honk their horn at me, because I am waiting for a safe place to pass a cyclist.

If all road users were more tolerant and less rushed, the roads would be safer for everyone.

By *hristopherd999Man  over a year ago

Brentwood

No they're not

Chelmsford

There are good cyclists and not so good

The not so good have cameras on their heads looking for confrontation...

Not sticking up for cyclists, but I done a speed awareness course and they guy running the course, said that cyclist are told to ride side by side if they can, so that a car would have to take care over taking them, as if they were over taking a car...

I cycle, long distance, touring … pan Europe.

I drive and rebuild classic car … you know the type, big engines, lots of fuel, flames out of the exhaust, oil cooled boxster 6 or flat plain V8

I race in motor sport, endurance 12/24 hours.

I have a CAT C+E from my time in the Army.

The edge of the road is unsafe for cycling, drains, pot holes, water hazards etc. 99% of drivers are courteous and I move out of their way as soon as I can, and they know that …. Yet there are the 1% who because they manage to pass one test in a mini metro think they own the road ….. which are you?

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

"I cycle, long distance, touring … pan Europe.

I drive and rebuild classic car … you know the type, big engines, lots of fuel, flames out of the exhaust, oil cooled boxster 6 or flat plain V8

The edge of the road is unsafe for cycling, drains, pot holes, water hazards etc. 99% of drivers are courteous and I move out of their way as soon as I can, and they know that …. Yet there are the 1% who because they manage to pass one test in a mini metro think they own the road ….. which are you?

"

You're dealing with Essex Tom. Definitely a 1%-er.

Chelmsford

"I cycle, long distance, touring … pan Europe.

You're dealing with Essex Tom. Definitely a 1%-er."

He agrees 99% lovely intelligent and witty..

1% misunderstood by morons..

Cyclists on racing bikes!, a person already riding a bike then tries to ride a racing bike as well

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

How do they know how fast they are going, I don't have a speedo on my bike?

By *ulfilthmentMan  over a year ago

Just around the corner

And the Highway Code recommends it.

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"This thread shows a lot of intolerance for others. People ride bikes on roads, they have done for a very long time and they will continue to do so. I’m sure we all like the medal tally our Olympic cyclists add every 4 years, they race and train on the roads.

i agree and like i said i used to race, but cyclists do often cause problems, nr us there was a great expence a cycle lane put in on a main road, the cyclists dont use it and use the road still. im not bashing all cyclists, many are very respectful, but as usual every group has its idiots"

I used to race in my late teens early 20's, there is a dual carriageway that we used to time trials. All the way along the road there is a nice wide cycle path, no one used it as it was littered with broken glass.

I have just got back into riding, still won't use cycle paths. I still laugh as I filter down the side of cars, when they are at lights. Or over take them, when they are moving slowly, or in my way on a nice downhill bit.

By *ulfilthmentMan  over a year ago

Just around the corner

How do they know how fast they are going, I don't have a speedo on my bike?"

Who are these supermen? Elite riders in the Tour de France only average 25mph.

We use to pull along side on motorbike and grab their saddle.

Then gas it and let them go on the bend

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"We use to pull along side on motorbike and grab their saddle.

Then gas it and let them go on the bend"

I do hope you are joking?

If not that's fucking idiotic.

I've had a few friends killed by motorists and if you think what you did was funny then frankly you need locking up.

In my eyes that's attempted mur Der.

I gave up doing TTs because of the danger of the roads.

I never ride cycle lanes as there's too many dangers ,dog walker's with long lead's pedestrians and the fact people who take great pleasure in smashing bottles on cycle ways to make people puncture.

Eastbourne

How do they know how fast they are going, I don't have a speedo on my bike?

Who are these supermen? Elite riders in the Tour de France only average 25mph."

I could hit 30 mph, with a slight tailwind 40 mph on rare occasions.

Eastbourne

"We use to pull along side on motorbike and grab their saddle.

Then gas it and let them go on the bend"

That happened to a mate, he got hurt quite badly. Not as badly as the rider when he got intentionally wiped out, I believe the rider ended up in a wheel chair.

We still laugh at that one.

By *reemindCoolMan  over a year ago

between Barnsley and Wakefield

you have two problems modern life has everyone rushing around and stressed.

The other problem is we all tend to want to blame some one else when things are not going our way.

the reality is if it was a tractor going down the duel carriageway which they do it would be wider thean two cyclists riding side by side and probably a lot slower.

I am an ex racing Cyclist and motorist so i see both sides.

But to be fair there seams to be a lack of road discipline with a lot of cyclists these days

"

you have two problems modern life has everyone rushing around and stressed.

The other problem is we all tend to want to blame some one else when things are not going our way.

the reality is if it was a tractor going down the duel carriageway which they do it would be wider thean two cyclists riding side by side and probably a lot slower.

I am an ex racing Cyclist and motorist so i see both sides.

But to be fair there seams to be a lack of road discipline with a lot of cyclists these days

"

Voice of reason, well said

» Add a new message to this topic