FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Why do we exist? Was it by a slump or by a higher power?

Why do we exist? Was it by a slump or by a higher power?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I watched a very interesting program about it, the more knowledge we get from the universe the stronger becomes the hypotheses that there is a creator of a higher power.

That is the best explanation of why we exist, the thought that the universe have appeared by slump is very slim.

The knowing of a higher power created all this, here is little tips, go out in the beautiful summer nature and pic a flower or 2 and then look very carefully on this flower and study the colours and at the same time ask this question, can this have happened by a slump? Or take the human body with all the complicated organs and functions, the ears, the eyes and the stomach, why not the sexual urges, did the slump create all this? Why are there yellow bananas and red strawberries, there are more examples to this, is this all a slump? Or is there a creator that are behind all this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ecadent_DevonMan  over a year ago

Okehampton

The arrogance of man is that they believe perfection has to be “created”

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I thought colour was all perception of our brains..

Are bananas really yellow and strawberries really red?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I see no evidence of a creator in our world. The argument from complexity or incredulity does not change that in the slightest.

If you have an explosion big enough, then by the laws of probability, some of the dust will coagulate in a way that it becomes self aware and create a website where you can fab photos each others genitals.

They reckon there was something here before the big bang now, the big bang wasn't the start anymore

Was it the big bang that started fab

By *awk90Man  over a year ago

Hamburg, Germany

If you look close enough, everything is a jumbled mess! It had taken a long time for most things to develop into something that works, and the fact of the matter is that whatever works best will be more successful! Hence the things that exist now, and the things that have gone extinct

By *tue555Man  over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

The Babylonians believed there are two conflicting higher powers, chaos and order. Which is could be believed if your look through history. The universe was created out of chaos, our solar systems was created out of chaos - so one power exerting force over another. But chaos or order can't be contained there must be balance. For order to rule there must be chaos somewhere else.

Synonyms for Order/Chaos

Angels/Deamons

God/Devil

Love/War

Nature/Human race

Etc

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

"The arrogance of man is that they believe perfection has to be “created”"

[Removed by poster at 26/07/21 11:52:00]

The scientists will have s hard time proving their "big bang theory". I dont believe in it.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I watched a very interesting program about it too, the more knowledge we get from the universe the stronger becomes the hypotheses that there isn't a creator of a higher power.

Always study the historian/scientist/writer as well , if not more , that what they say.

King's Crustacean

*than*

"The scientists will have s hard time proving their "big bang theory". I dont believe in it."
Have "a".

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

The thing is what created the creator? Why did it exist for an eternity then think “ mmm I need a cosmos?”

Thing is as far as we know, we’re the only things mapping the universe. Would it exist if nothing was there to observe it? It has a beginning we can see and by prediction a very slow and dismal burn out.

By *angerous123Man  over a year ago

Leeds

There's something beyond our comprehension as humans behind all this, that I'm sure of

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

But just saying God did everything explains nothing

What is a 'slump' by the way?

Actually the more scientific knowledge we gain the less likely a creator becomes!

Not on a Monday my head hurts …

"The scientists will have s hard time proving their "big bang theory". I dont believe in it."

But an invisible sky fairy is more believable?

Either way it's all fascinating stuff I think

Fareham

As Richard Feynman said when asked about God in reference to the Earth , consider the restof the universe too. It’s not in proportion.

King's Crustacean

"As Richard Feynman said when asked about God in reference to the Earth , consider the restof the universe too. It’s not in proportion."

What about the multiverse ?

By *Marvel-Man  over a year ago

In The Gym

"Actually the more scientific knowledge we gain the less likely a creator becomes! "

You are correct.

In the future mathematics will evolve and problems that don't currently have answers will be solved.

There's plenty of theories about at the moment some more feasible than others.

Ipswich

"Actually the more scientific knowledge we gain the less likely a creator becomes! "

Indeed. The God of the gaps is really all that's left. What science cant explain yet is always attributed to God. Until science fills that gap too

Fareham

"As Richard Feynman said when asked about God in reference to the Earth , consider the restof the universe too. It’s not in proportion.

What about the multiverse ?"

Even more not in proportion

King's Crustacean

Asked my dog about the strawberries and bananas and she said it's a very grey area to her.....

God i'm funny. ... Slump!

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

The biggest failure of the creation theory is this…

If the universe is too complicated to have sprung into being without there being some higher power who created it…. Where the hell did he come from?

"Asked my dog about the strawberries and bananas and she said it's a very grey area to her.....

God i'm funny. ... Slump!"

Too funny

Did your dog say your blue rinse is greyish too

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

Not as hard a time as someone has proving a god exists

King's Crustacean

"The biggest failure of the creation theory is this…

If the universe is too complicated to have sprung into being without there being some higher power who created it…. Where the hell did he come from?"

he ? Everyone knows it's genderless

King's Crustacean

"Asked my dog about the strawberries and bananas and she said it's a very grey area to her.....

Too funny

Did your dog say your blue rinse is greyish too "

No. She knows who can open the chum cupboard.

P.S. I don't have a dog. So .. don't ask me to recommend a vet or food or holiday

Too funny

P.S. I don't have a dog. So .. don't ask me to recommend a vet or food or holiday "

Bingo hall?

King's Crustacean

Too funny

P.S. I don't have a dog. So .. don't ask me to recommend a vet or food or holiday

Bingo hall?"

Clearly you'd have more of an idea than me. I've never been into one. In fact - I don't know anyone who has ..... enjoy.

Too funny

Bingo hall?

Clearly you'd have more of an idea than me. I've never been into one. In fact - I don't know anyone who has ..... enjoy. "

I was only joking with you

King's Crustacean

I gathered.

"I gathered. "

"Actually the more scientific knowledge we gain the less likely a creator becomes!

Indeed. The God of the gaps is really all that's left. What science cant explain yet is always attributed to God. Until science fills that gap too"

So science is god then

King's Crustacean

"I gathered.

"

"If you have an explosion big enough, then by the laws of probability, some of the dust will coagulate in a way that it becomes self aware and create a website where you can fab photos each others genitals. "

King's Crustacean

"Actually the more scientific knowledge we gain the less likely a creator becomes!

Indeed. The God of the gaps is really all that's left. What science cant explain yet is always attributed to God. Until science fills that gap too

So science is god then "

Metaphorically - at present.

So science is god then

Metaphorically - at present. "

Solved that one then

By *panddaCouple  over a year ago

West Mids

"I watched a very interesting program about it, the more knowledge we get from the universe the stronger becomes the hypotheses that there is a creator of a higher power.

That is the best explanation of why we exist, the thought that the universe have appeared by slump is very slim.

The knowing of a higher power created all this, here is little tips, go out in the beautiful summer nature and pic a flower or 2 and then look very carefully on this flower and study the colours and at the same time ask this question, can this have happened by a slump? Or take the human body with all the complicated organs and functions, the ears, the eyes and the stomach, why not the sexual urges, did the slump create all this? Why are there yellow bananas and red strawberries, there are more examples to this, is this all a slump? Or is there a creator that are behind all this? "

Very thought provoking.

Could we ask the name of the programme please?

We would love to watch it.

Unlike the view of many that it is definitely yes or definitely no, we remain very open-minded.

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

Everyone has different opinions.

The truth is we wont solve the mystery here.

By *aptainhornpipeMan  over a year ago

manchester

"I thought colour was all perception of our brains..

Are bananas really yellow and strawberries really red? "

Things are a certain colour because they reflect light at a certain frequency. We happen to have photo receptors sensitive to that frequency. Often this is a coincidence as most plants tune their colours to attract insects that benefit them in some way.

Evolution is basically trial and error if it’s done over a long enough period then many possibilities are likely to be tried.

Motherwell

So science is god then "

I cant trust science as god, back in the day science told us smoking was good, and a plethora of other BS.

West Mids

[Removed by poster at 26/07/21 12:51:08]

West Mids

"Everyone has different opinions.

The truth is we wont solve the mystery here."

And the art is to respect all different opinions rather than argue against them.

There is not any concrete evidence for either argument.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

"I thought colour was all perception of our brains..

Are bananas really yellow and strawberries really red? "

Colour exists and is proven, however people can't describe colour.

We teach children to recognise colour, grass is green, banana is yellow a strawberry is red. We do not know the child is seeing the same colour as we see it but we are teaching them to associate whatever colour they see to the name of a colour. In short we could all be seeing different colours for red, but whatever colour you are seeing you will call it red.

Colour is brain bending

By *aptainhornpipeMan  over a year ago

manchester

I don’t believe a higher power was involved in creating life on earth, that was a happy accident.

Was a higher power involved in the creation of the universe we probably will never know.

The thing is if that is the case what created the higher power, what process is there that can create an entity or set of circumstances capable of initiating the birth of a universe. It seems less likely that the universe was created spontaneously than god was created spontaneously and then they created the universe

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Science, unlike faith, is constantly evolving. What is believed one day is challenged and changed in the light of new findings and the new is then embraced by science.

If there is a creator and a vast eternal plan then the creator is a very sadistic entity indeed when you see what has been inflicted on all living creatures.

But although sad it is a good thing that Stephen Hawkins is dead as your lack of belief in the big bang would have been devastating for him.

The higher power doesnt have to be 'god'as such though does it. Just another force exerting a reaction.

Ipswich

So science is god then "

No, science is science. God was invented to explain what science can't. Which is why God shrinks with every scientific discovery

So science is god then

No, science is science. God was invented to explain what science can't. Which is why God shrinks with every scientific discovery "

So if science explains what was previously attributed to god, that makes science the new, better understood, with explanations god.

We don't think it's strange that a hamster can't play the violin or a buffalo can't do algebra, so why should humans be able to understand everything? I'm sure the universe has a rational explanation but it may always be beyond our comprehension, so we invent answers that we can grasp.

By *tew008Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

Only thing we figure out is how little we understand.

Ipswich

So science is god then

No, science is science. God was invented to explain what science can't. Which is why God shrinks with every scientific discovery

So if science explains what was previously attributed to god, that makes science the new, better understood, with explanations god. "

No it doesn't. Why invoke a God when we have a better explanation

So science is god then

So if science explains what was previously attributed to god, that makes science the new, better understood, with explanations god.

No it doesn't. Why invoke a God when we have a better explanation "

Yes it does. That god was infact science after all.

[Removed by poster at 26/07/21 13:02:16]

Absolutely but these people are like conspiracy theorists, delusional

Ipswich

So science is god then

No it doesn't. Why invoke a God when we have a better explanation

Yes it does. That god was infact science after all. "

But just postulating a God doesn't meant that one ever existed

West Mids

Absolutely but these people are like conspiracy theorists, delusional "

So we have scientific proof now, or scientific theory?

Is it no longer called the Big Bang Theory? Has it been proved?

Absolutely but these people are like conspiracy theorists, delusional "

Some people just need something to believe in ( that's their choice ) like life after death.

Ipswich

Is it no longer called the Big Bang Theory? Has it been proved?"

You're misunderstanding the word theory

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"They reckon there was something here before the big bang now, the big bang wasn't the start anymore

Was it the big bang that started fab "

The theory of "The Big Bang":

In the beginning, there was nothing... which exploded.

West Mids

You're misunderstanding the word theory"

So how is it being used here?

"a formal statement of the rules on which a subject of study is based or of ideas that are suggested to explain a fact or event or, more generally, an opinion or explanation"

That is how we see it. How do you?

Exactly.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

"I watched a very interesting program about it, the more knowledge we get from the universe the stronger becomes the hypotheses that there is a creator of a higher power.

The knowing of a higher power created all this, here is little tips, go out in the beautiful summer nature and pic a flower or 2 and then look very carefully on this flower and study the colours and at the same time ask this question, can this have happened by a slump? Or take the human body with all the complicated organs and functions, the ears, the eyes and the stomach, why not the sexual urges, did the slump create all this? Why are there yellow bananas and red strawberries, there are more examples to this, is this all a slump? Or is there a creator that are behind all this? "

Can you elaborate on the part where you said “the more we know about the universe the more it points towards a higher power” or whatever it is you said.

Because I’d argue the opposite. The idea of a higher power due to the complexities of life is an old religious belief, it’s not something we develop as we understand more.

If anything the more we learn, the more we think there isn’t a higher power.

We used to think god created man and animals because nothing so perfect could be made by chance.

We now know that through evolution these things can happen

West Mids

The knowing of a higher power created all this, here is little tips, go out in the beautiful summer nature and pic a flower or 2 and then look very carefully on this flower and study the colours and at the same time ask this question, can this have happened by a slump? Or take the human body with all the complicated organs and functions, the ears, the eyes and the stomach, why not the sexual urges, did the slump create all this? Why are there yellow bananas and red strawberries, there are more examples to this, is this all a slump? Or is there a creator that are behind all this?

Can you elaborate on the part where you said “the more we know about the universe the more it points towards a higher power” or whatever it is you said.

Because I’d argue the opposite. The idea of a higher power due to the complexities of life is an old religious belief, it’s not something we develop as we understand more.

We used to think god created man and animals because nothing so perfect could be made by chance.

We now know that through evolution these things can happen"

We know that now? Really??

By *uckandbunnyCouple  over a year ago

In your bed

I guess the question is does it matter?

If it was created then great if it was an accident then great.

Creation is not really what religion is about, it's more of a side issue.

Religion is about a moral code a life guide if you like. What religion has that humanitarian codes don't is consequences for not following the code.

In a non deity code, you can either live by the code or not, but it only matters if you get caught not living by the code.

In a deity code, you are always caught and always accountable.

So from a system perspective the deity rules base is much better as it requires less oversight and monitoring.

In a non deity system, then you can always chance your arm that you will get away with it.

Therefore, whether you believe or disbelieve the non deity system has fundamental flaws for an organised society.

Ipswich

You're misunderstanding the word theory

So how is it being used here?

"a formal statement of the rules on which a subject of study is based or of ideas that are suggested to explain a fact or event or, more generally, an opinion or explanation"

That is how we see it. How do you?"

So you see the word theory as being just an idea. Do you think the theory of gravity is just an idea? Or would you rather the pilot of your plane didn't just switch the engines off?

w

We know that now? Really??"

We know it far more than we know anything about a higher power, so I’m questioning why as we learn more, OP thinks it points towards a higher power. It clearly doesn’t

Another great thread Shag.

Which in itself explains a lot about yourself bless you.

Tony

Can you say what the program was called, what channel was it on, can you explain exactly what you mean by a ‘slump’,if there’s a higher power, where did the higher power come from, if a higher created all this who created the high power, I look forward to you answering these questions Shag, but I won’t hold my breath ?!

Scunthorpe

Is it no longer called the Big Bang Theory? Has it been proved?"

It is impossible to "prove" the validity of the big bang theory, you would need to either witness it or be able to reproduce it to prove it.

However, the observations of the universe and mathematical modelling continue to support the theory. In the absence of a better theory, The Big Bang is the most likely explanation so far.

Cal

West Mids

We know it far more than we know anything about a higher power, so I’m questioning why as we learn more, OP thinks it points towards a higher power. It clearly doesn’t "

Without trying to appear argumentative, we don't really know anything either way do we?

We are not trying to lean either way, but we still do not know anymore facts do we?

w

We know it far more than we know anything about a higher power, so I’m questioning why as we learn more, OP thinks it points towards a higher power. It clearly doesn’t

Without trying to appear argumentative, we don't really know anything either way do we?

We are not trying to lean either way, but we still do not know anymore facts do we?

"

Zero evidence for a higher power

Plenty of “something” for evolution. Maybe we can’t call it evidence, but we have fossils, dna mapping, we’ve seen evolution in animals alive today. We’ve even taken our hand at using it to model dogs or farm animals into favourable things to use.

But it’s zero for god.

West Mids

It is impossible to "prove" the validity of the big bang theory, you would need to either witness it or be able to reproduce it to prove it.

However, the observations of the universe and mathematical modelling continue to support the theory. In the absence of a better theory, The Big Bang is the most likely explanation so far.

Cal"

Thanks Cal. Like we said nothing proved yet.

It is an argument that can go on forever, but in the absence of facts why don't we all respect others beliefs rather than trying to ridicule them??

West Mids

Plenty of “something” for evolution. Maybe we can’t call it evidence, but we have fossils, dna mapping, we’ve seen evolution in animals alive today. We’ve even taken our hand at using it to model dogs or farm animals into favourable things to use.

But it’s zero for god."

In your opinion.

Explain the evidence for evolution? The 'something' that you talk about?

w

But it’s zero for god.

In your opinion.

"

Why don’t you give me some evidence for god and then I can just link you to the Wikipedia article for evolution which is going to have an endless amount of rabbit holes you can go down about the subject and endless books written on the subject

I believe in evolution, in the sense that our bodies evolved on this planet under various conditions. But I do not believe our consciousness/ soul evolved here, but comes from somewhere else and our earth-developed bodies are merely vessels.

Whether there is a creator or higher power that our souls come from, yes I more believe that. I do not believe our inner self has gone by biological chance. I will no doubt sound far out to some, especially sceptics, but I am comfortable in my beliefs.

w

"I believe in evolution, in the sense that our bodies evolved on this planet under various conditions. But I do not believe our consciousness/ soul evolved here, but comes from somewhere else and our earth-developed bodies are merely vessels.

Whether there is a creator or higher power that our souls come from, yes I more believe that. I do not believe our inner self has gone by biological chance. I will no doubt sound far out to some, especially sceptics, but I am comfortable in my beliefs. "

Although I don’t believe it, I actually like this idea. And I kinda hope it’s true

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The existence of complexity does not mean that it had to have been started by any 1, or several, different things. It just is.

We know many things already about the processes that have resulted in much of the amazing complexity that we have. Evolutionary processes, arising from the passage of time and billions of cell replications - including billions of mutations - are necessary for the continuation of much life as we know it. Mutations are evidence of imperfections in the life continuation process but pose opportunities for the potential improvement of the matches between the newly mutated individuals and an environment that changes too.

Many species of all life forms have died out, because they became less fit for purpose in the changing world, potentially whilst others were more suited to it. Most living organism species no longer exist. Things could have been different today, should none of the previous species have mutated sufficiently to allow them to continue their lives.

This world has had conditions that supported the creation and development of life. Most planets that we know have not. There is an almost unimaginable amount of mass and space in the known universe. We don't understand or know of much of it. The existence of such substantial volumes of matter still doesn't justify any assumptions other than that it exists, as far as I am aware. Whether the universe is big or tiny, complex or simple, doesn't make it any different from that perspective - it just is.

Ipswich

But it’s zero for god.

In your opinion.

"

With all due respect you appear to be saying that because you don't know about evolution then that means nobody else does

I assume you have had the covid vaccine? The only reason we know how to beat viruses is because we know of our kinship with them

Scunthorpe

Cal

Thanks Cal.

------------

Like we said nothing proved yet.

It is an argument that can go on forever, but in the absence of facts why don't we all respect others beliefs rather than trying to ridicule them??

"

The issue of religion is always difficult, for those who are brought up as believers it is often impossible to entertain the notation that God's are not real. Obviously for those of us who don't believe, it is beyond ridiculous that the concept of God's is still even discussed in this day and age.

I personally fall into the second group and have no doubt in my mind that the existence of any sort of higher beings would be very easy to evidence if they were real. On the other hand though, it is totally fine for people to believe whatever it is that they believe.

Cal

Just answer me this one question Shag, how did the higher power come into being ?

No mention of evolution in the opening post, like everything came into being in its current state, humans have always been around.

w

"No mention of evolution in the opening post, like everything came into being in its current state, humans have always been around. "

Bananas have 5 ridges around it

We have 5 fingers

It’s the perfect set up to pickup and eat

You can’t say that was by accident

"No mention of evolution in the opening post, like everything came into being in its current state, humans have always been around.

We have 5 fingers

You can’t say that was by accident "

It’s all making sense now, I’m a believer.

There is no perfection in life, which to me is the biggest proof of evolution or 'slump' as I'm guessing you're referring to. We need oxygen to survive but it slowly ages and kills us. Our bodies are highly vulnerable to injury and disease, all ensuring there is enough death to allow for evolution to continue.

Ipswich

"No mention of evolution in the opening post, like everything came into being in its current state, humans have always been around.

We have 5 fingers

Just like a puddle thinking to itself how perfectly the dip in the ground fits him

Scunthorpe

"No mention of evolution in the opening post, like everything came into being in its current state, humans have always been around. "

That is the creationists view, how the various holy texts sat it happened.

Cal

Scunthorpe

"There is no perfection in life, which to me is the biggest proof of evolution or 'slump' as I'm guessing you're referring to. We need oxygen to survive but it slowly ages and kills us. Our bodies are highly vulnerable to injury and disease, all ensuring there is enough death to allow for evolution to continue.

"

I personally think that to a large extent, modern medical practices have stopped to evolution of humans. Survival of the fittest has been replaced of "Survival of almost everyone" due to access to medical services. There is no longer any evolutionary advantages from being bigger/stronger/faster etc.

Cal

w

"There is no perfection in life, which to me is the biggest proof of evolution or 'slump' as I'm guessing you're referring to. We need oxygen to survive but it slowly ages and kills us. Our bodies are highly vulnerable to injury and disease, all ensuring there is enough death to allow for evolution to continue.

I personally think that to a large extent, modern medical practices have stopped to evolution of humans. Survival of the fittest has been replaced of "Survival of almost everyone" due to access to medical services. There is no longer any evolutionary advantages from being bigger/stronger/faster etc.

Cal"

You are forgetting about the sexual selection part of evolution.

Evolution is all about who can pass on their genes. You don’t need to be bigger or stronger or smarter to do that.

w

Cal"

If anything I’d say evolution is harming us now. Welfare states allow the dumbest to procreate without risk. Council estate mums having 5 kids with no father present. Back in the day survival of the fittest would have fixed that. There’s now no risk to being sexually irresponsible and financially unstable

Cal"

Yes this is probably true. Although there is still plenty of death, so natural things might be the only evolution now ... Such as immunity against diseases. I'm not just talking about humans though, evolution applies to all living creatures. One of the flaws of humanity (in my opinion) is that we rate ourselves more important than other living things.

The thing is that a lot of these programs are subjective.

The program makers have a view they wish to present and then interview people who support that view and as such is not an unbiased presentation of facts.

Evolution has been proved.

w

"The thing is that a lot of these programs are subjective.

The program makers have a view they wish to present and then interview people who support that view and as such is not an unbiased presentation of facts.

Evolution has been proved."

Hmm… I’ve never seen evolution happen with my own eyes, so how can it be proved?

Plus, look at my banana example. 5 ridges, 5 fingers, that can’t be by accident.

/s

Scunthorpe

Cal

You are forgetting about the sexual selection part of evolution.

Evolution is all about who can pass on their genes. You don’t need to be bigger or stronger or smarter to do that. "

But there are still no evolutionary advantages to ensure "getting laid", in the animal world that usually works through being the strongest or best fighter and earning the right to impregnate all the females. In people, the females are allowed to choose their own mates and their preferences are infinite.

Cal

Hmm… I’ve never seen evolution happen with my own eyes, so how can it be proved?

Plus, look at my banana example. 5 ridges, 5 fingers, that can’t be by accident.

/s"

Evolution is happening right now. It's all around us. Mostly it's too slow to see because it takes generations for small changes to occur, but you can see it very easily in bacteria and even viruses, they evolve quickly and it's very visible.

w

/s

Evolution is happening right now. It's all around us. Mostly it's too slow to see because it takes generations for small changes to occur, but you can see it very easily in bacteria and even viruses, they evolve quickly and it's very visible. "

The /s at the end means sarcasm. I completely understand that I can’t see it with my own eyes. It’s satire aimed at the creationalists that use that type of reasoning

Sorry should have explained better

We have 5 fingers

Also it's one of our five a day.

I think we exist purely to feel a hard cock in our warm holes.

Scunthorpe

/s"

There are actually many cases of evolution in our own lifetimes, so yes the evolutionary process has been proven. The argument about bananas though is fairly irrelevant, our fingers don't actually rotate in a way as to allow us to place one digit on each side... so if this was "by design" then it needs updating

w

/s

There are actually many cases of evolution in our own lifetimes, so yes the evolutionary process has been proven. The argument about bananas though is fairly irrelevant, our fingers don't actually rotate in a way as to allow us to place one digit on each side... so if this was "by design" then it needs updating "

See my comment above about what /s means

I forget this isn’t Reddit

Scunthorpe

/s

There are actually many cases of evolution in our own lifetimes, so yes the evolutionary process has been proven. The argument about bananas though is fairly irrelevant, our fingers don't actually rotate in a way as to allow us to place one digit on each side... so if this was "by design" then it needs updating

I forget this isn’t Reddit "

I did see it afterwards... I have now evolved my level of understanding

Central

So science is god then

I cant trust science as god, back in the day science told us smoking was good, and a plethora of other BS."

Obviously scientific evidence can and does change. It will also be used by some people to justify their own ends, however loosely or closely they adhere to it. The tobacco industry, like other discredited bodies, employed people to sow doubt and confusion amongst the public as well as governments, to enable them to continue their profit making. Governments used the same tactics too sometimes - but it doesn't devalue the scientific process, which remains as robust as ever, merely the vested interests that employed the illusion of scientific evidence backing their message and demands.

For those who are also sceptical about life after death which judging by some of the comments here is a good guess, I think we can at least agree that humans are energy. When we die, that energy does not die, it lives on and maybe in a different form

/s

I forget this isn’t Reddit "

I didn't realise that /s meant sarcasm.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

I recommend the book "Climbing Mount Improbable" by Richard Dawkins for an excellent explanation of how complexity in nature can arise through simple physical and biological processes. [Note that this does imply any endorsement of Dawkins latter day views, he was a good scientist who more recently seems to have become somewhat insufferable, mysogynistic and transphobic.]

The emergence of consciousness is a more complex question for which there currently seem to be no definitive answers, but there has been some interesting speculation and tendrils of ideas around the subject. The works of Douglas Hofstadter and Daniel Dennett are well worth a read.

The big bang theory gives the current best fit to cosmological evidence and particle physics knowledge. There is ongoing refinement of and conflicting ideas from different physicists about specific details of the theory. This does not imply any disagreement about the fundamental concept of the big bang, more that discerning the exact details of the first few microseconds of the bang and what if anything happened "before" the bang is still a work in progress. ("before" in quotes as there is strong reason to believe that the whole concept of time becomes invalid when trying to probe beyond the start of the bang).

Manchester (she/her)

"I recommend the book "Climbing Mount Improbable" by Richard Dawkins for an excellent explanation of how complexity in nature can arise through simple physical and biological processes. [Note that this does imply any endorsement of Dawkins latter day views, he was a good scientist who more recently seems to have become somewhat insufferable, mysogynistic and transphobic.]

The emergence of consciousness is a more complex question for which there currently seem to be no definitive answers, but there has been some interesting speculation and tendrils of ideas around the subject. The works of Douglas Hofstadter and Daniel Dennett are well worth a read.

The big bang theory gives the current best fit to cosmological evidence and particle physics knowledge. There is ongoing refinement of and conflicting ideas from different physicists about specific details of the theory. This does not imply any disagreement about the fundamental concept of the big bang, more that discerning the exact details of the first few microseconds of the bang and what if anything happened "before" the bang is still a work in progress. ("before" in quotes as there is strong reason to believe that the whole concept of time becomes invalid when trying to probe beyond the start of the bang)."

By *trideMan  over a year ago

Plymouth

Why do we exist? Was it by a slump or by a higher power?

1. To the best of our current knowledge, we don’t exist for any reason. We evolved by accident, and were not manufactured by any “higher power”, either directly or indirectly.

2. The Big Bang theory is WRONG. BIG TIME. It fails to provide adequate explanations for:

The absence of most of the anti-mater which was created at the same time as the matter - about 100% of the universe

Dark energy - about 73% of the universe

Dark matter - about 23% of the universe

The horizon problem - the lack of “lumpiness” or clumping in the universe

The flatness problem - the universe’s energy density shouldn’t still be “flat”

The extreme weakness of gravity

And much more.

3. Scientists are very, very well aware of all this, and billions of pounds are being spent on attempts to find solutions to these problems.

4. However, the Big Bang theory DOES do a very good job of explaining the observable universe and the way in which if functions. A very large number of its postulates have been proven to be correct without any possible doubt.

5. I find it astonishing that educated people will readily believe even the most outlandish fantasies rather then simply admitting that they don’t know.

6. The Covid-19 virus is evolving rapidly, the Chinese Sinovac vaccine gives far less protection against the Delta virus than the original one. But people STILL don’t believe in evolution!

Plymouth

Humans skin bananas from the stalk end.

Monkey’s skin bananas from the flower end.

Elephants can’t be bothered. They just gobble-up the whole lot. And smile!

Why the differences?

Because that’s the way I made ‘um.

(signed) GOD.

Stockport

"Why do we exist? Was it by a slump or by a higher power?

1. To the best of our current knowledge, we don’t exist for any reason. We evolved by accident, and were not manufactured by any “higher power”, either directly or indirectly.

2. The Big Bang theory is WRONG. BIG TIME. It fails to provide adequate explanations for:

The absence of most of the anti-mater which was created at the same time as the matter - about 100% of the universe

And much more.

3. Scientists are very, very well aware of all this, and billions of pounds are being spent on attempts to find solutions to these problems.

4. However, the Big Bang theory DOES do a very good job of explaining the observable universe and the way in which if functions. A very large number of its postulates have been proven to be correct without any possible doubt.

5. I find it astonishing that educated people will readily believe even the most outlandish fantasies rather then simply admitting that they don’t know.

6. The Covid-19 virus is evolving rapidly, the Chinese Sinovac vaccine gives far less protection against the Delta virus than the original one. But people STILL don’t believe in evolution!

"

I would not say that the Big Bang Theory is wrong. It is incomplete, and there are conflicting ideas about how it could be refined. But as per your point 4, the overall concept of the BBT has stood every test against it from the 1960's onwards (in fact I think it was back in the late 40's that Fred Hoyle mockingly came up with the name while promoting his alternative Continuous Creation theory).

I suspect that we are in fact in very broad agreement about the BBT, merely emphasising details in different ways.

West Mids

But it’s zero for god.

In your opinion.

Why don’t you give me some evidence for god and then I can just link you to the Wikipedia article for evolution which is going to have an endless amount of rabbit holes you can go down about the subject and endless books written on the subject "

Hate to piss on your flames.

Rabbit holes are not facts, Theories are not facts.

The facts are that there is no evidence of your argument or ours, so why on go on about it?

Motherwell

And much more.

"

Evolution is real, but i dont believe we evolved from monkeys, do you?

Manchester (she/her)

And much more.

Evolution is real, but i dont believe we evolved from monkeys, do you?"

We share a common ancestor

Motherwell

And much more.

We share a common ancestor"

Doesnt all life on earth?

West Mids

You know what always cracks me up?

I have never wanted or had any inclination to try to convince anyone that God exists, if someone doesn't believe I really couldn't care less.

But people who don't believe, they see it their job to convince people like me that their way is the only way.

That to me stinks of insecurity.

Just saying.

I don't have any problem believing matter self-organises from chaos then evolves to the point of being self-aware and perceiving beauty and creating a framework for understanding it. No higher creator needed, just a basic understanding of science. The universe will self-organise given enough time and propitious environment.

By *reemindCoolMan  over a year ago

between Barnsley and Wakefield

Ask Sheldon

Plymouth

"For those who are also sceptical about life after death which judging by some of the comments here is a good guess, I think we can at least agree that humans are energy. When we die, that energy does not die, it lives on and maybe in a different form "

Complete bollocks!

Humans are made of matter, not energy.

Sure, we make electrical, heat and mechanical energy, but stop doing so when we die. The various energies then dissipate into the environment, just like the heat from a boiled kettle. These energies aren’t “alive” by any definition of the word, and to say they “live on” is utter nonsense. When we die, our brains and all stored memories still remain as material chemical constructs, and are “resurrected” routinely in hospitals around the world.

A person in a deep induced coma, is very nearly dead. Almost all electrochemical activity has ceased. Very little energy of any type is being created or used. The brain stops most communications within itself, and with most of the rest of the body. No memories are being created, organised, or recalled. The body lies still. The person would have been declared “dead” a hundred years ago. Then, hospital staff click a few switches, and, hey presto! All life returns. Memories and personality are intact. Muscles function as usual.

Most of the time, most of a person’s brain is “dead”. There is no electrochemical activity present – just the material constructs that, all together, are our memories, personalities, etc. There is no volume of our brains that in any way represent our personality, soul or id. It’s all in the various ways that the whole shebang is wired-up. This wiring is by a very long way the most complicated system in the known universe, and remains intact in the absence of energy, which, for most of the time, is most of it.

When you’re dead, mate, you’re DEAD. The end!

By *nigma1000Man  over a year ago

Braintree

If you believe in quantum physics we are mere holographic images of what exists on the outer reaches of the universe

We are just a speck of dust floating in an infinitesimal sea of matter

West Mids

This all makes fascinating reading.

We are very open minded so we do not close our minds to anything.

Nothing at all has yet been proven or disproved, so we personally think staying open minded is the sensible way to be.

Manchester (she/her)

And much more.

Doesnt all life on earth?"

Yes, but we're like, cousins to monkeys in the grand billions of years scheme

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

Ah! The old "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" debate... Or rather the sperm or the egg...???

Guess we'll never really know. Just one of lifes' big mysteries.

I just know I'm here because of my parents', and they had me because of theirs and so on.

Whatever the story that brought us all here, we should all live like today is gonna be our last and never, never say "I'm bored" because for somebody, somewhere, they may be breathing their last.

Eat the cake, drink the beer, f**k the hottie, suck the joy out of every single moment.

That's my take on life. x

Plymouth

"You know what always cracks me up?

I have never wanted or had any inclination to try to convince anyone that God exists, if someone doesn't believe I really couldn't care less.

But people who don't believe, they see it their job to convince people like me that their way is the only way.

That to me stinks of insecurity.

Just saying."

How many people murdered other people today because they were “unbelievers” in some esoteric religious fantasy?

How many scientists murdered other people today because they were “unbelievers” in some esoteric scientific theory?

Does the difference the two numbers crack you up?

Is trying peacefully to convince people like you of your stupidity “stink of insecurity”, or does it maybe demonstrate a desire to stop the widespread religious insanity?

If you’re a Proddy, you’d care a bit more when a Catholic knife was stuck in your back!

Just saying, like.

Shame such an interesting topic has descended into this

"Shame such an interesting topic has descended into this "

It's a regular occurrence. God is looking down tutting

Motherwell

And much more.

Doesnt all life on earth?

Yes, but we're like, cousins to monkeys in the grand billions of years scheme"

pretty sure i see a documentary saying we share 85% na with bananas,

By *acksLamentMan  over a year ago

Chester

Fareham

"If you believe in quantum physics we are mere holographic images of what exists on the outer reaches of the universe

We are just a speck of dust floating in an infinitesimal sea of matter"

Quantum physics tells me I am a region of space with certain properties.

King's Crustacean

"42"

Chop Suey ?

By *acksLamentMan  over a year ago

Chester

"42

Chop Suey ? "

The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything," calculated by an enormous supercomputer named Deep Thought over a period of 7.5 million years.

By *reya73Woman  over a year ago

Whitley Bay

'higher power' is a human construct.. I dont think the universe can't be arsed with that. Although, I like the idea that my existence may be just an elaborate game or idea or even a mistake. It saves me from troubling over the meaning!

I love not knowing. The great mystery.

Cynical people faced with the word "god" always seem to believe it means a white dude with a flowing beard, sat on a cloud dishing out all sorts of good and bad. This isn't what I believe god is. I don't believe in a god in the religious sense, but I do believe "god" to be an amalgamation of everything we don't know. Science, nature, chance, thought, belief etc. These things together certainly represent a higher power than we currently have, so yes, I believe we exist because of all of the above. - a higher power.

Coincidentally I just fabbed a couple of your pics, and now I look at this thread and see this comment from you which I'd also like to fab

Stockport

And much more.

Not that we evolved from monkeys specifically, no. However at some stage the various types of primate all shared some common ancestor, which species is very unlikely to still be around. Further back the primates ancestor shared some more distant common ancestor with say the feline species. Further back still there would be some point of divergence of mammals and avian species. Further back etc, until some type of primordial sludge that is ancestor to all live on Earth.

Where did the primordial sludge come from? Fairly simple chemistry experiments show that water + primordial type atmosphere (methane, nitrogen, carbon dioxide etc) + big electric sparks (lightning) will produce amino acids, the building blocks of proteins. The step from there to anything resembling life has not been recreated in the lab, but given enough oceans full of protein soup and enough time, it only takes one accidental combination into a self reproducing molecule (some kind of precursor to RNA/DNA) and zing! Life becomes inevitable.

Manchester (she/her)

"'higher power' is a human construct.. I dont think the universe can't be arsed with that. Although, I like the idea that my existence may be just an elaborate game or idea or even a mistake. It saves me from troubling over the meaning!

I love not knowing. The great mystery. "

Or, "ooh, science doesn't know everything!

Science knows it doesn't know everything - otherwise, it'd stop" Dara O'Briain

Terra Firma

Blimey my mate Brian was right, the secrets of the universe and why we are here are being uncovered on a swinging site forum.

He doesn't want me to mention his last name, he thinks you will assume it is a wind up, being a swingers site you wouldn't take hime seriously, so it is just Brian (for now).

Rest assured budding philosophers, quantum mechanics (ps if you are, do you know how to fold up a decathlon kayak so it goes back in the bag?) relatively junkies and flat earthers he is watching and learning.

Perpetual motion rocks and things can only get better, Brian.

Stockport

"Blimey my mate Brian was right, the secrets of the universe and why we are here are being uncovered on a swinging site forum.

He doesn't want me to mention his last name, he thinks you will assume it is a wind up, being a swingers site you wouldn't take hime seriously, so it is just Brian (for now).

Rest assured budding philosophers, quantum mechanics (ps if you are, do you know how to fold up a decathlon kayak so it goes back in the bag?) relatively junkies and flat earthers he is watching and learning.

Perpetual motion rocks and things can only get better, Brian. "

Of course the secrets of the universe get discussed on a swinging site forum! Why else would any of us be here?

Terra Firma

"Blimey my mate Brian was right, the secrets of the universe and why we are here are being uncovered on a swinging site forum.

Of course the secrets of the universe get discussed on a swinging site forum! Why else would any of us be here? "

Don't start asking difficult questions

I consider this… not religious - but do find the possibility of a ‘Prometheus’ type being seeing suitable planets with the building blocks of life and seeing what happens….

Think about it. The ‘universe’ is what, 13bn years old. The solar system about 4.5hb. Human like beings have been around abut 6 million, and modern ‘man’ about 1/4 million years.

If ‘mankind’ Is the pinnacle if life on earth then they’ve probably been back a few times and figured. Fk it - basket cases beyond salvation.

Now if it is all pure chance then twe’re doing sentient life even more a disservice.

So the idea that there are other places similar to earth where the beings are more evolved gives me comfort on some level.

Maybe the creators and the created are one and the same and that over millions of years those created eventually learn to create - until something goes wrong and then it all starts over? As the basics are all sculpted by physics and chemistry then eventually similar results are bound to happen given similar conditions?

Give an infinite number of gods an infinite number of universes and with enough time one will create a fab website where someone gets a meet? Or is that too far fetched?

Of course the secrets of the universe get discussed on a swinging site forum! Why else would any of us be here?

Don't start asking difficult questions "

Nothing like uncovering the secrets of the universe and life inbetween the sea of tits and penises, it beats smoking a ciggie

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

"The thing is what created the creator? Why did it exist for an eternity then think “ mmm I need a cosmos?”

Thing is as far as we know, we’re the only things mapping the universe. Would it exist if nothing was there to observe it? It has a beginning we can see and by prediction a very slow and dismal burn out."

This is the perfect answer to "this complexity can't just happe, it needs a creator". By supposing a creator, you have added an extra layer of complexity and so not answered your own questions. Take the following convo,

Where did all this come from?

It was created

Where did the creator come from?

The middle statement simply shifts the question one step on. Having a creator causes all kinds of new difficulties (why did they create the universe, how did they create it, what is their plan etc etc) yet it gives no answers.

Occams razor says to take the simplest explanation so I give higher credence to explanations that don't involve a hypothetical invisible being.

Mr

By *egasus NobMan  over a year ago

London

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_ad-rfvtIA

Central

And much more.

You presumably think that humans and monkeys have evolved from earlier species though - you're just not certain about the specifics?

Humans today include many of us, especially those with Caucasian European ancestry, who have a mixture of Neanderthal and Homo sapiens DNA - we're hybrids, though had evolves from an earlier common ancestor, as well as interbreeding with other human species.

It seems reasonable clear from the current evidence that the various humans and apes evolved from shared ancestors, rather than humans trickling down from a cricket etc, whilst apes came from the earlier ancestor of apes, for example.

With enough time, sufficient mutations occur, to enable the mutations to better fit the world as it had also changed.

Most of the earlier, less suited to the newer world environment, became dead ends and became extinct.

That evolutionary principles have been shown to exist and to explain how forms of life have managed to develop, to be sufficiently well suited to the world as it progressively came to be, is enough for me to accept that we're just another form of life here.

The evolution of the universe seems no less explicable than evolution of earth and the life on it, everything has just been changing from the very start of it. There doesn't seem to be any need for anything other than the very physical processes that have existed, to get this to happen, no need for some thing that has special magical powers. The universe and ourselves, are just aspects of the mundane, yet wondrous to us, progression of an enormous system of energy and matter. It's all been a succession of experience that just needed space and time

Interesting debate everyone and yes, it is also interesting one when it comes to science v religion

» Add a new message to this topic