FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Simone biles.

Simone biles.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Very brave of her to make a stand and put her mental health first.

The pressure on her must be immense.

A God given talent honed by years and years of constant training and competing.

(Let's not discuss all the issues relating the abuse as that's a very different discussion but certainly would add to her mental health)

So let's look at it differently.

A young actor thrust into the limelight from an early age, regularly go off the rails booze, Dr ugs and the like.

Generally these people get lots of support and sympathy because of the pressure of fame .

So a young talented sports star is no different and more power to her for having the strength on the biggest stage possible to highlight this issue.

Thoughts please?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

couple, us we him her.

No one has an opinion on the biggest news story around at the moment?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"No one has an opinion on the biggest news story around at the moment?"

Meh

Injured athlete pulls out of event. Nothing more to see here.

She did what she thought was best for her - not her sport, or her team or her country. Congratulations to her and the team for coming second

By *igmaMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

Haven’t got a scooby who you’re talking about…

couple, us we him her.

"No one has an opinion on the biggest news story around at the moment?

Meh

Injured athlete pulls out of event. Nothing more to see here."

couldn't be r further from the truth if you tried.

Amazing!!

All the mental health thread's on here but because it's an athlete it's suddenly not as important as say a reality TV Star coming out with mental health issues.

This is exactly why she's brave doing what she's doing and why it needs highlighting.

Would people take the piss if a fab member said they where struggling??

No they wouldn't and people would soon bring them to task of they did.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

My heart goes out to her. She is so young and probably been away from family and friends for many weeks. The pressure had got too much. I think they should send her home for some TLC as she looks like a poor lost soul in the arena.

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Mental strength is as important as physical skill & strength in athletes that compete at this level.

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

It isn’t the biggest news story around. It just isn’t.

Hard to understand the situation given the lack of information. She has over 30 Olympic and world champs medals so is a seasoned performer and I’m struggling to understand why she is so stressed out in Tokyo having navigated her way through tons of previous championships. I would have thought that the athletes would have tons of support around them.

I know quite a few Olympic competitors, past and present, and the pressure / breaking points usually come in the dark days of training, when competition days feel too far away and out of reach, and training feels bleak and mundane ... performance is usually the fun bit, the pinnacle, when they have tapered for peak performance.

By *ormorantMan  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Antother multi millionaire athlete wants my sympathy…..

Try the real world….

Realisation of being in a corner comes at the weirdest of times.

Good on her for stepping away. No point in giving a mediocre performance (for the rest of the world to savage you for) or pushing too hard and gaining serious injury. Being an athlete doesn't mean you’re not subject to some of the same foibles as the rest of humanity.

I hope she comes back to Paris on top form and in the meantime gets the help and support she needs.

henley on thames

"Antother multi millionaire athlete wants my sympathy…..

Try the real world…."

When did she ask for your sympathy? Or anybody’s? She withdrew and gave her reasons. I can’t see where she asked for your sympathy. Nor do I see the relevance of wealth. When people have a certain amount of money they should shut up and suffer in silence?

The explanation coming out is that she was suffering from a mental block on spatial awareness, something gymnasts refer to as “the twisties”, where they lose track of where they are in a move. Extremely dangerous.

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

It isn’t the biggest news story around. It just isn’t.

Hard to understand the situation given the lack of information. She has over 30 Olympic and world champs medals so is a seasoned performer and I’m struggling to understand why she is so stressed out in Tokyo having navigated her way through tons of previous championships. I would have thought that the athletes would have tons of support around them.

I know quite a few Olympic competitors, past and present, and the pressure / breaking points usually come in the dark days of training, when competition days feel too far away and out of reach, and training feels bleak and mundane ... performance is usually the fun bit, the pinnacle, when they have tapered for peak performance. "

Because stress can hit you at any time. For pretty much any reason.

Because she's been successful before is no guarantee that stress won't hit at some point, which it clearly has.

It only takes on straw to break a camels back.

Wishing her good mental health.

Lincolnshire

Try the real world….

When did she ask for your sympathy? Or anybody’s? She withdrew and gave her reasons. I can’t see where she asked for your sympathy. Nor do I see the relevance of wealth. When people have a certain amount of money they should shut up and suffer in silence?

The explanation coming out is that she was suffering from a mental block on spatial awareness, something gymnasts refer to as “the twisties”, where they lose track of where they are in a move. Extremely dangerous. "

You are entitled to your opinion ( which I don’t comment on ) I am entitled to mine.

By *rowser79Man  over a year ago

Cork

For her to withdraw after one performance in the team event was a huge call for her. The girl is under pressure that no other gymnast before her has experienced.

Yes she’s won Olympic and World medals before but that has all just added to the pressure for these games. People expecting her to pull off moves and points totals that nobody ever has before. Only a mtter of time before it all became too much for her and I’m glad she realised she wasn’t right mentally and took the step back.

I hope she recovers and gets back competing.

I think mental health issues have been seen as a weakness or shame for too long in elite sport so all power to SB for her honesty and openness.

henley on thames

Try the real world….

The explanation coming out is that she was suffering from a mental block on spatial awareness, something gymnasts refer to as “the twisties”, where they lose track of where they are in a move. Extremely dangerous.

You are entitled to your opinion ( which I don’t comment on ) I am entitled to mine."

I didn’t comment on your opinion either. I asked some questions which you ducked though.

henley on thames

"I think mental health issues have been seen as a weakness or shame for too long in elite sport so all power to SB for her honesty and openness. "

I agree that mental health issues have historically been viewed by coaches etc as a sign of weakness or unsuitability for high pressure situations.

Coaches want people who produce their best in the best of competition.

henley on thames

The guy steering the GB coxless 4 obviously had a bit of a meltdown in the latter stages of last night’s final, and was bawling his eyes out in the interview afterwards, knowing that his error had cost the crew a medal.

How come there isn’t much coverage or mention of his mental health, given that he was clearly in a state of distress? Is it because he’s a 6 foot 4 bloke, so not seen as vulnerable?

Lincolnshire

Try the real world….

You are entitled to your opinion ( which I don’t comment on ) I am entitled to mine.

I didn’t comment on your opinion either. I asked some questions which you ducked though. "

Everything you said was a commentary on my opinion.

And as for ducking questions, I have no interest in your point of view which is why I didn’t comment on it or engage.

henley on thames

Try the real world….

I didn’t comment on your opinion either. I asked some questions which you ducked though.

And as for ducking questions, I have no interest in your point of view which is why I didn’t comment on it or engage."

You don’t really understand the idea of a forum, do you!

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Very brave of her to make a stand and put her mental health first.

(Let's not discuss all the issues relating the abuse as that's a very different discussion but certainly would add to her mental health)

A young actor thrust into the limelight from an early age, regularly go off the rails booze, Dr ugs and the like.

Generally these people get lots of support and sympathy because of the pressure of fame .

So a young talented sports star is no different and more power to her for having the strength on the biggest stage possible to highlight this issue.

Thoughts please?"

She absolutely did the right thing…. If she knew that she wasn’t on it and she was part of a team, the hardest thing to do is to say “I don’t have it, someone else could do a better job!”

That is really thinking of others within your own mental turmoil…..

She owes people nowt… for example Andy Murray pulled out of the singles to concentrate on the doubles because his body wasn’t up to it… and no one batted an eyelid…

What we need to get out there is that wellness of body and wellness of mind should be treated equally

Lincolnshire

Try the real world….

And as for ducking questions, I have no interest in your point of view which is why I didn’t comment on it or engage.

You don’t really understand the idea of a forum, do you! "

I fully understand, but if I have no interest in a particular opinion it is my choice to engage or not.

Read your own advice on understanding…

couple, us we him her.

Thoughts please?

She absolutely did the right thing…. If she knew that she wasn’t on it and she was part of a team, the hardest thing to do is to say “I don’t have it, someone else could do a better job!”

She owes people nowt… for example Andy Murray pulled out of the singles to concentrate on the doubles because his body wasn’t up to it… and no one batted an eyelid…

What we need to get out there is that wellness of body and wellness of mind should be treated equally "

Absolutely I think this might open the floodgates for many others from many different sports to speak up.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Try the real world…."

She really wants nothing from you.

evesham

I think it shows great sportsmanship. She has great pressure on her. She is the face of gymnastics, not just USA gymnastics.

Ask any young girl in the gymnasyics gym who they want to be and they'll generally say simone Biles.

I know jools and I differ on this opinion but.... This games is very different from all others. Everyone's training has been affected, they are competing in very different atmospheres and for a lot of competitors this has affected them.

Yes, everyone is in the same position but not everyone deals with changes like that in the same way.

She knew she wasn't performing to her best and that the team had a better chance without her. She didn't let her standing in the sport and world stage come first.

Commendable and right decision for her, the team and the sport.

By *ovelifelovefuntimesMan  over a year ago

Where ever I lay my hat

Whatever her reasons she quit in the heat of the battle and she will have to deal with that decision. No one knows when mental health is going to become a problem and one can only take at face value that her break down having performed badly in the first event is genuine. If she felt she wasn't right before the competition she should have pulled out in advance. Having made the decision to compete, the sportsman in me says she should have carried on rather than leave her team mates in the lurch. Views will no doubt be divided and influenced by people's own values and experiences.

evesham

"Whatever her reasons she quit in the heat of the battle and she will have to deal with that decision. No one knows when mental health is going to become a problem and one can only take at face value that her break down having performed badly in the first event is genuine. If she felt she wasn't right before the competition she should have pulled out in advance. Having made the decision to compete, the sportsman in me says she should have carried on rather than leave her team mates in the lurch. Views will no doubt be divided and influenced by people's own values and experiences."

but she didn't leave them in the lurch. There was a reserve gymnast in the team ready to step up in case of injury or what not. If there was no one to replace her the team could not have carried on with the competition.

She realised she was not scoring highly enough to get the best result for her team and so chose to step side for someone who could achieve those scores. As a result they came in second place.

By *issAphroditeWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

Regardless of what's going on, she's the absolute GOAT and Piers Morgan can kiss both of our arses

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Haven’t got a scooby who you’re talking about…"

Same.

By *akjourneyMan  over a year ago

WSM

I think she is an excellent young lady and a great example to young girls.

I would go as far as saying her reach and drive is far beyond gymnastics so I wish her all the best.

I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, she has every right to put her well-being first and that's commendable, particularly when so many young people will look up at her.

On the other hand though, if there was a doubt that she was mentally ready for the tournament, couldn't she have stepped aside before leaving the US so that another gymnast could have had a shot at the Olympics? There must have been another who'd have loved to go.

Still, what's done is done, and ultimately she has every right to do what she did.

By *rowser79Man  over a year ago

Cork

"Whatever her reasons she quit in the heat of the battle and she will have to deal with that decision. No one knows when mental health is going to become a problem and one can only take at face value that her break down having performed badly in the first event is genuine. If she felt she wasn't right before the competition she should have pulled out in advance. Having made the decision to compete, the sportsman in me says she should have carried on rather than leave her team mates in the lurch. Views will no doubt be divided and influenced by people's own values and experiences."

You do realise that the moves she was expected to do in her competitions could result in her actually dying if she landed wrong??

I’m sure her mental and physical health are far more important than ‘leaving her teammates in the lurch’ (which she did not do)

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

I think she did the right thing. If her mind isn’t on what she should be doing, focused on her moves, timing, landing, etc then one little loss of concentration could be physically very damaging to her body.

Hopefully she’ll get the time, space and help she needs, giving her the opportunity to return to the sport in the future, which a physical injury might not have allowed her to do

evesham

"I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, she has every right to put her well-being first and that's commendable, particularly when so many young people will look up at her.

On the other hand though, if there was a doubt that she was mentally ready for the tournament, couldn't she have stepped aside before leaving the US so that another gymnast could have had a shot at the Olympics? There must have been another who'd have loved to go.

Still, what's done is done, and ultimately she has every right to do what she did. "

She was well enough and performing during the qualification rounds to help the team get to the finals which is when she withdrew. We don't know when this hit her. We could play shoulda coulda woulda all day.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Thoughts please?

What we need to get out there is that wellness of body and wellness of mind should be treated equally "

Bham

All sports are mental.

That's what makes an elite sportsperson. There are plenty of lower League footballers who are very talented, the difference between them and premier League footballers, their mental capacity, to deal with pressure, to react quicker, to perform consistently.

Sounds a bit like self sabotage because she couldn't handle it.

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

I say good on her x

evesham

"All sports are mental.

That's what makes an elite sportsperson. There are plenty of lower League footballers who are very talented, the difference between them and premier League footballers, their mental capacity, to deal with pressure, to react quicker, to perform consistently.

Sounds a bit like self sabotage because she couldn't handle it. "

Possibly. She's been at the top of her game for many years. Could be burnt out. Doesn't make it any less of an issue though.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"Whatever her reasons she quit in the heat of the battle and she will have to deal with that decision. No one knows when mental health is going to become a problem and one can only take at face value that her break down having performed badly in the first event is genuine. If she felt she wasn't right before the competition she should have pulled out in advance. Having made the decision to compete, the sportsman in me says she should have carried on rather than leave her team mates in the lurch. Views will no doubt be divided and influenced by people's own values and experiences.

You do realise that the moves she was expected to do in her competitions could result in her actually dying if she landed wrong??

I’m sure her mental and physical health are far more important than ‘leaving her teammates in the lurch’ (which she did not do)"

Some need to read what ‘twisties’ are and how it can affect gymnasts

"All sports are mental.

Many elite sportspeople suffer regular physical injuries but no one says they can’t cope. Mental health issues can affect anyone at anytime and don’t mean someone can’t cope with the pressure permanently, or can’t continue to compete with the proper support and treatment.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"All sports are mental.

We all know that's not true about footballers. There's an awful lot of being in the right place, at the right time; having the right manager or coach etc etc. If David Beckham's family hadn't parceled him off to Man U, all the way from Essex at a tender age, his talent might only ever have made it as far as Colchester United. His family put him in the "right place" for him to get the coaching he needed but that didn't change his inherent talent. Some lower league players are former Prem players who are knocking on a bit, winding down to retirement etc.

I've watched many a lower league club shred premier league opposite in cup matches over the years - often the higher tier players can't cope with the lower quality pitches, the more physical game that remains part and parcel of the lower leagues etc.

Simone Biles has made the right choice for her health. Physical and mental health are no different from one another. You wouldn't ask her to compete with a broken leg, so don't ask her to compete with a broken "head", so to speak. She might have felt under massive pressure to travel to Japan. The US team might have said "see how you go, don't worry if you have to step back" - we don't know, because it's not our business.

She's achieved more success than the vast majority of athletes and is an incredible sportsperson. Let's hold her up as an example for looking after her whole body and not trashing her health for a medal.

Bham

"All sports are mental.

Sounds a bit like self sabotage because she couldn't handle it.

Possibly. She's been at the top of her game for many years. Could be burnt out. Doesn't make it any less of an issue though. "

Yeah point taken. The mental pressure, especially as you say she's been top of her game (I don't follow gymnastics) would have been intense and it's tough at the top.

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

Southern Wales

Considering she has ADHD which can affect depth perception, peripheral vision, visual search, visual processing speed, and difficulties with color perception etc., I’d say she’s done a bloody marvellous job of getting 25 gold medals in her gymnastic career.

She also knows her body better than anyone, she was struggling, she spoke up.

She has nothing to prove to anybody.

Meh

Injured athlete pulls out of event. Nothing more to see here. couldn't be r further from the truth if you tried.

Amazing!!

All the mental health thread's on here but because it's an athlete it's suddenly not as important as say a reality TV Star coming out with mental health issues.

This is exactly why she's brave doing what she's doing and why it needs highlighting.

"

I'm certainly not taking the piss at all (but can see my post wasn't clear).

I was equating her mental health to a physical injury.

In my mind, at least, there should be no difference between having a mental or physical problem that prevents participation.

Of course she has done the right thing. In her line of work, if you are not tuned in 100% mentally, a serious physical injury won't be far away.

couple, us we him her.

Meh

Injured athlete pulls out of event. Nothing more to see here. couldn't be r further from the truth if you tried.

Amazing!!

I'm certainly not taking the piss at all (but can see my post wasn't clear).

I was equating her mental health to a physical injury.

In my mind, at least, there should be no difference between having a mental or physical problem that prevents participation.

Of course she has done the right thing. In her line of work, if you are not tuned in 100% mentally, a serious physical injury won't be far away."

She pulled out of something, based upon her mental health. I think it helps others show that it can impact anyone and both her previous successes and traumas have probably played their parts in her difficulties, clearly in differing ways.

It’s a sign of strength via self-awareness. Previous comments around her financial status, or leaving team mates in the lurch etc, i just do not understand, at all, as they will not be the driver in her decision making and she has made tough decisions many times over pre fame and pre financial strength. Plenty of high profile people have had struggles as we all know, that’s the real world. I’ve never experienced mental health challenges but I have seen the whole spectrum of difficulties that it brings upon people and respect those who need to make such decisions for themselves, and those around them.

During the Euros I was surprised to hear that some of our players had joined teams as young as 7. They probably had been playing soon after they learned to walk to hone their talent. I know it's the way with gymnasts and figure skaters. No doubt lots of these people love their "chosen" sport but at what point was it their choice. Is it a kind of "Stockholm syndrome" where they have become conditioned through endurance? I would never "push" my kid to do anything but if we don't have pushy parents and coaches would we have to settle for mediocre competitors?

couple, us we him her.

"During the Euros I was surprised to hear that some of our players had joined teams as young as 7. They probably had been playing soon after they learned to walk to hone their talent. I know it's the way with gymnasts and figure skaters. No doubt lots of these people love their "chosen" sport but at what point was it their choice. Is it a kind of "Stockholm syndrome" where they have become conditioned through endurance? I would never "push" my kid to do anything but if we don't have pushy parents and coaches would we have to settle for mediocre competitors?

"

Very good point and I do wonder about the countries where speaking out would be career suicide I talking about the communist block countries like China and Russia where they treat athletes like a product on a conveyor belt.

How many of these athletes over the years have been emotionally destroyed by a system that has little compassion and time for what they see as weakness.

I watched the women's diving the other day and the two Japanese girls I think it was made a hash of their dive putting them out of a medal.

One of the girls was in tears as the coach stood there telling them what they did wrong.

Clearly in a state of distress the Diver just stood crying.

When all she probably needed was a cuddle from mum or dad.

I do think that the lack of support available from friends and family at this games has and will play a huge part in the mental health of lots of athletes.

In the past we have seen loved ones available almost immediately to congratulate or console, for many the best they can manage is a zoom call.

Which leaves many vulnerable people alone in a covid bubble probably with little to no access to emotional support.

Yes team mates and coaching staff are there but it's not the same.

Perhaps in hindsight the IOC should have been more active in providing emotional support to athletes during the games knowing that family and friends are in some cases thousands of miles away and they are in lockdown in the Olympic village away from everything.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

She has achieved so much for herself, family and country. She will of had her reasons and I hope she is ok. The team have supported her decision and it gave others an opportunity to shine. She will be back.

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

She hasn't let her team, her country or anyone else down.

She's recognised she has a mental health challenge. Too many people don't make it that far.

The decision wouldn't have been easy.

I hope she gets the support she needs. And I hope her openness helps others recognise their own challenges and get the support they need.

There is still way too much stigma and missunderstanding around mental health.

Wishing her and any others who struggle with these challenges good mental health.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"

"

With a reserve gymnast in the team, this is exactly what she did. She decided that, for whatever reason, the reserve member of the team would be able to do a better job than she could. Rather than carrying on and doing a crap performance which could have lost everything for the whole team, she allowed someone else to show their talent.

"During the Euros I was surprised to hear that some of our players had joined teams as young as 7. They probably had been playing soon after they learned to walk to hone their talent. I know it's the way with gymnasts and figure skaters. No doubt lots of these people love their "chosen" sport but at what point was it their choice. Is it a kind of "Stockholm syndrome" where they have become conditioned through endurance? I would never "push" my kid to do anything but if we don't have pushy parents and coaches would we have to settle for mediocre competitors?

Very good point and I do wonder about the countries where speaking out would be career suicide I talking about the communist block countries like China and Russia where they treat athletes like a product on a conveyor belt.

How many of these athletes over the years have been emotionally destroyed by a system that has little compassion and time for what they see as weakness.

I watched the women's diving the other day and the two Japanese girls I think it was made a hash of their dive putting them out of a medal.

One of the girls was in tears as the coach stood there telling them what they did wrong.

Clearly in a state of distress the Diver just stood crying.

When all she probably needed was a cuddle from mum or dad.

I do think that the lack of support available from friends and family at this games has and will play a huge part in the mental health of lots of athletes.

In the past we have seen loved ones available almost immediately to congratulate or console, for many the best they can manage is a zoom call.

Which leaves many vulnerable people alone in a covid bubble probably with little to no access to emotional support.

Yes team mates and coaching staff are there but it's not the same.

Perhaps in hindsight the IOC should have been more active in providing emotional support to athletes during the games knowing that family and friends are in some cases thousands of miles away and they are in lockdown in the Olympic village away from everything."

Very well put. I think we have all known what expectations are put on athletes from other parts of the world and turn a blind eye when it happens at home. I guessing on a lesser level but when a footballer or boxer finds "alternative sources of stress relief" they are hounded by the media. Yes I know people are paid well but it must be so hard when you are a god one moment then public enemy number 1 the next, Bukayo Saka being a prime example of this. Can any amount of pressure emptive emotional coaching prepare these kids for that kind of abuse.

"

With a reserve gymnast in the team, this is exactly what she did. She decided that, for whatever reason, the reserve member of the team would be able to do a better job than she could. Rather than carrying on and doing a crap performance which could have lost everything for the whole team, she allowed someone else to show their talent. "

Oh yes, I know this for the team's gymnastics, I just meant for the US squad in general, and for the individual competition. Each country can only bring so many people.

But hey, I'd never want someone to risk their mental health, so it's all good. Just a shame that's all.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

I feel for her, but at the same time it’s a little unprofessional and maybe even a little disrespectful.

Either turn up and do your best, or drop out before so another athlete gets the chance.

You’re a professional athlete. Act like one

This doesn’t mean I don’t respect her issues, I just feel she should have handled it better.

By *heGateKeeperMan  over a year ago

Stratford

She has 30 Olympic and World medals at the age of 24. To suggest that she ‘couldn’t handle it’ is laughable.

By *aisyRayneCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 29/07/21 11:22:28]

Manchester

"She has 30 Olympic and World medals at the age of 24. To suggest that she ‘couldn’t handle it’ is laughable.

"

If there was an Olympic event for being an armchair critic some of the forum users would be in with a big shout for the Gold medal lmao

By *traight_no_iceMan  over a year ago

Stoke

I like Simon Biles. I admire that she has achieved so much despite all her emotional difficulties.

However, she let her team down. 3 other athletes who were preparing for years to win the gold medal. The issue whether they would be able to achieve this without Simon Biles. With the 5th best athlete in the US gymnastics.

She was not feeling the pressure and being emotionally distressed a few days before the competition? She had nothing to prove other than add to her gold medal tally.

During quallifying she has already made some uncharacteristic for her mistakes. She certainly was not in the best condition.

Still, she took part in the team finals. And she did poorly in the first aparatus that cost points to her team. And then she withdrew leaving her team with 3 athletes.

I hope she will sort her mental issues but if she did not feel right in the first place why take part in the team competition?

She's been a top contender for a long time, she can have a whiff if she wants.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

With a reserve gymnast in the team, this is exactly what she did. She decided that, for whatever reason, the reserve member of the team would be able to do a better job than she could. Rather than carrying on and doing a crap performance which could have lost everything for the whole team, she allowed someone else to show their talent.

Oh yes, I know this for the team's gymnastics, I just meant for the US squad in general, and for the individual competition. Each country can only bring so many people.

But hey, I'd never want someone to risk their mental health, so it's all good. Just a shame that's all."

Only so many from each countries can complete in the individual finals… 2 I think… anyway, biles just happens to be replaced by the next individual that couldn’t qualify.. which happens to be the 3rd American….

So she really didn’t take anything from anyone….

By *wist my nipplesCouple  over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

If any professional sportsperson injures their leg/arm/whatever, then they can be forced to withdraw.

Why is it considered to be different when it's your mental rather than physical health?

None of us know if she had doubts about her fitness previously. Nobody knows how she felt until that very moment she withdrew. And does it matter? If an athlete is nursing a physical injury of any kind, it might be OK on the day, might not, are they considered to be disrespectful or letting people down if they try to push through to compete in something they've been training for for years, only to have to withdraw? Or do we commend them for their fighting spirit?

I don't doubt that it's an environment with incredible pressure, and part of an athlete's training is to be able to cope with that. However, when someone suffers a physical injury, we don't blame them for not being up to it. We see that they put their bodies under immense strain each and every day and inevitably sometimes it's pushed too far, resulting in injury. It's exactly the same with their brains. We just can't see it the same way we can with a broken leg.

I commend Simon Biles for being so open in an environment where any sign of weakness is pounced upon. I don't know if I would be so brave. I hope she recovers well.

Mrs TMN x

Manchester

"I like Simon Biles. I admire that she has achieved so much despite all her emotional difficulties.

However, she let her team down. 3 other athletes who were preparing for years to win the gold medal. The issue whether they would be able to achieve this without Simon Biles. With the 5th best athlete in the US gymnastics.

She was not feeling the pressure and being emotionally distressed a few days before the competition? She had nothing to prove other than add to her gold medal tally.

During quallifying she has already made some uncharacteristic for her mistakes. She certainly was not in the best condition.

Still, she took part in the team finals. And she did poorly in the first aparatus that cost points to her team. And then she withdrew leaving her team with 3 athletes.

I hope she will sort her mental issues but if she did not feel right in the first place why take part in the team competition?"

Because much like a physical injury, mental health can get worse if left untreated. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

evesham

"I feel for her, but at the same time it’s a little unprofessional and maybe even a little disrespectful.

Either turn up and do your best, or drop out before so another athlete gets the chance.

You’re a professional athlete. Act like one

This doesn’t mean I don’t respect her issues, I just feel she should have handled it better."

Attitude like this are exactly why what she did is so important.

And how do we know that isn't what the American Olympic committee put in her.

'everyone is counting on you. Duck it up buttercup and go do some flips!'

I honestly thought the narrative on mental Hesket had moved forward a lot more. Sad to see it hasn't.

Chelmsford

I agree with Evie bit won't make a habit of it ??

If she can't win she ain't playing.

By *nkforthekinkMan  over a year ago

london/fareham

Some would call it crumbling under pressure.

evesham

"I agree with Evie bit won't make a habit of it ??"

evesham

"If she can't win she ain't playing. "

evesham

"Some would call it crumbling under pressure. "

Some would be dickheads then

North West

"

I'm aware of a 7yo lad who started training with Man City recently, so yes, the pressure is there from very early on. It's even earlier for gymnastics. Many start before they attend school. My son did a bit of gym competition at the age of 4/5 but didn't want to do it anymore when the classes started getting really serious. He was 6 (obviously he stopped going)

Chelmsford

It's usually the parents who put the pressure on the kids and not the club's

North West

"It's usually the parents who put the pressure on the kids and not the club's "

If a coach finds a promising pupil, they exert just as much pressure, if not more than parents. It could be quite lucrative for the right coach in the right sport.

I just feel bad that now instead of having time to centre herself and focus, she's at the centre of a massive shit storm.

Chelmsford

I'm aware of a 7yo lad who started training with Man City recently, so yes, the pressure is there from very early on. It's even earlier for gymnastics. Many start before they attend school. My son did a bit of gym competition at the age of 4/5 but didn't want to do it anymore when the classes started getting really serious. He was 6 (obviously he stopped going) "

Don't tell me.. To protect his mental health....

North West

I'm aware of a 7yo lad who started training with Man City recently, so yes, the pressure is there from very early on. It's even earlier for gymnastics. Many start before they attend school. My son did a bit of gym competition at the age of 4/5 but didn't want to do it anymore when the classes started getting really serious. He was 6 (obviously he stopped going)

Don't tell me.. To protect his mental health...."

??? Do you think it would be appropriate to force a 6yo to do an activity they didn't want to do? No. So when he said he didn't want to do it anymore, we stopped going. As simple as that.

Chelmsford

??? Do you think it would be appropriate to force a 6yo to do an activity they didn't want to do? No. So when he said he didn't want to do it anymore, we stopped going. As simple as that. "

Obs.. and if he said he no longer wants to go to school then I am sure you will oblige

North West

??? Do you think it would be appropriate to force a 6yo to do an activity they didn't want to do? No. So when he said he didn't want to do it anymore, we stopped going. As simple as that.

Obs.. and if he said he no longer wants to go to school then I am sure you will oblige "

He's nearly 19 now, so he's free to make his own choices, Tom. Education and gymnastics clubs are rather different things.

Chelmsford

Obs.. and if he said he no longer wants to go to school then I am sure you will oblige

He's nearly 19 now, so he's free to make his own choices, Tom. Education and gymnastics clubs are rather different things."

You surprise me..

North West

He's nearly 19 now, so he's free to make his own choices, Tom. Education and gymnastics clubs are rather different things.

You surprise me.. "

Great story, Tom

Chelmsford

You surprise me..

Great story, Tom "

Stop it..you are making me blush...

Elite sport like the rest of modern life is all about results and how you get there is not really that important.

Coaching a 7 year old to me seems completely ridiculous ..........ask any early years teacher.

The concept of sport for enjoyment and achievement was lost when elite sports people thought it acceptable to take supplements to enhance performance. The game of sport and achievement was lost when those who accepted the accolade of winning knew it was tainted.

So any excuse for not being elite has to be viewed with a degree of scepticism. If Ms Biles hadn’t of stumbled on the vault would she have retired? We will never know.

That said to do what she did in running up to the vault is something I could never dream of doing but by being there having a go would have my admiration.

Sport is lost to the masses .........

Chelmsford

"Elite sport like the rest of modern life is all about results and how you get there is not really that important.

Coaching a 7 year old to me seems completely ridiculous ..........ask any early years teacher.

The concept of sport for enjoyment and achievement was lost when elite sports people thought it acceptable to take supplements to enhance performance. The game of sport and achievement was lost when those who accepted the accolade of winning knew it was tainted.

So any excuse for not being elite has to be viewed with a degree of scepticism. If Ms Biles hadn’t of stumbled on the vault would she have retired? We will never know.

That said to do what she did in running up to the vault is something I could never dream of doing but by being there having a go would have my admiration.

Sport is lost to the masses ........."

Agreed and if in doubt just give up ..aged 6

"Elite sport like the rest of modern life is all about results and how you get there is not really that important.

Agreed and if in doubt just give up ..aged 6"

No, just play sport for the right reasons.

Never give up! I wanted to play for Manchester United and score the winning goal in front of the Stetford End, still do but at 7 I also played cowboys and Indians!

Chelmsford

And if they don't want to go to bed aged 6 ?

Never give up! I wanted to play for Manchester United and score the winning goal in front of the Stetford End, still do but at 7 I also played cowboys and Indians!"

Can I say cowboys?

Chelmsford

Never give up! I wanted to play for Manchester United and score the winning goal in front of the Stetford End, still do but at 7 I also played cowboys and Indians!

Can I say cowboys?"

Cow person...can I say person?

Can I say cowboys?

Cow person...can I say person?"

ET you can say anything you like seemingly!

Chelmsford

Can I say cowboys?

ET you can say anything you like seemingly!"

Within the rules obs

Can I say cowboys?

ET you can say anything you like seemingly!

Within the rules obs "

What rules are those ET?

Newcastle and Gateshead

Okay… question.. do we now treat Ben stokes differently to Simone biles or Naomi Osaka ?

You really do see the best and the worst of people on here

couple, us we him her.

"Okay… question.. do we now treat Ben stokes differently to Simone biles or Naomi Osaka ? "

It is a good question and simply no everyone deserves to be treated equally.

Tom demulin was given a whole year off by Jumbo visma, clearly worked if you saw his TT form.

If Stokes needs the time off he needs it.

Chelmsford

"Okay… question.. do we now treat Ben stokes differently to Simone biles or Naomi Osaka ?

It is a good question and simply no everyone deserves to be treated equally.

Tom demulin was given a whole year off by Jumbo visma, clearly worked if you saw his TT form.

If Stokes needs the time off he needs it."

The governing bodies ask too much.. too many tours .. too much money.. Ching ching

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"Okay… question.. do we now treat Ben stokes differently to Simone biles or Naomi Osaka ? "

Nope. All successful sports stars. Who perform under intense pressure at the very top of the game. But underneath it all they are human beings and bend to the same pressures we all do. Money does not make a peaceful mind.

Wonder if those pouring scorn have ever been in that position.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Okay… question.. do we now treat Ben stokes differently to Simone biles or Naomi Osaka ?

Nope. All successful sports stars. Who perform under intense pressure at the very top of the game. But underneath it all they are human beings and bend to the same pressures we all do. Money does not make a peaceful mind.

Wonder if those pouring scorn have ever been in that position. "

I was interested to see what piers Morgan would say (knob)… Funny enough he is hiding behind the “busted finger” to try and say there is a difference….

So this is going to be the party line…. They are going to say he did it before, as opposed to biles and Osaka who did it during…

» Add a new message to this topic