FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Cyclist aggression..

Cyclist aggression..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

A pedestrian has been killed by a cyclist running a red light.. he or she fled the scene.. I hope they catch the lowlife..

I pulled out of a junction today seeing a cyclist with a go pro the size of a zeppelin on his helmet who accelerated and steered towards me shouting obsene comments..

There are some idiots out there on two wheels who think a go pro gives them diplomatic immunity .. slow down FFS and read the road..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *inkyInkedBiWoman  over a year ago

I read today he was jailed for two years

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Tom, this sort of thing is incredibly rare.

Cyclists are more often than not the ones in danger. My husband cycles to work most days and says that he rides in ths assumption that other road users are trying to kill him.

He has had numerous incidents with drivers who are completing oblivious or just idiots.

By *redwilma666Couple  over a year ago

Kilbirnie

If they want to use the roads, they should have the same rules as everyone else. Reg plates, Tax, MOT & Insurance

Scunthorpe

"If they want to use the roads, they should have the same rules as everyone else. Reg plates, Tax, MOT & Insurance"

This is just unworkable and cyclists were using roads well before cars were the main mode of transport.

If anything the cars are the interlopers

Chelmsford

"Tom, this sort of thing is incredibly rare.

Cyclists are more often than not the ones in danger. My husband cycles to work most days and says that he rides in ths assumption that other road users are trying to kill him.

He has had numerous incidents with drivers who are completing oblivious or just idiots."

You are right but the other day some fool run a red light and lucky boy...

But if he got hit by a car.. the car driver suffers too...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 29/07/21 21:15:32]

Scunthorpe

He has had numerous incidents with drivers who are completing oblivious or just idiots.

You are right but the other day some fool run a red light and lucky boy...

But if he got hit by a car.. the car driver suffers too..."

All road users need to be more tolerant, less rushed and follow the rules.

Ahhhh. You are going after cyclists again.

That would mean my son who does a paper round would need an mot tax insurance!

Ridiculous comment

#notallcyclists

For sure some are car-hating militants, and also rules of the road-disregarding dickheads. I've seen plenty who feel they're entitled to run reds and almost hit pedestrians or cause a RTA.

But the vast majority are just hoping they're not going to get killed by some twat in a car.

"If they want to use the roads, they should have the same rules as everyone else. Reg plates, Tax, MOT & Insurance"

Its an emissions tax so theyd be exempt anyway..... not that i like cyclists as here (edge of the New Forest) theyre bloody awful amd think they own the road!

I have insurance for my bike. I don’t pay tax (road fund license) on it because it’s zero emissions. Also not all cars have to have MOT or “tax”

Are you going to insist that kids have all this on their bikes too?

What about people who drive uninsured. What about drivers that use mobile phones or drink drive or speed. Let’s not pull on this thread.

By *nkforthekinkMan  over a year ago

london/fareham

"If they want to use the roads, they should have the same rules as everyone else. Reg plates, Tax, MOT & Insurance

This is just unworkable and cyclists were using roads well before cars were the main mode of transport.

If anything the cars are the interlopers "

Try riding a horse on any main road theses days

Scunthorpe

"If they want to use the roads, they should have the same rules as everyone else. Reg plates, Tax, MOT & Insurance

Try riding a horse on any main road theses days "

I imagine it's a nightmare...

Chelmsford

I imagine it's a nightmare..."

Am absolute mare

Chelmsford

This moron actually accelerated and veered towards me shouting obscenities with a go pro on his by head that was the size of a house.. it was a 20mph zone..

I wouldn’t be a cyclist for any money offfered. They take their life in their own hands when they go out. Yes there are one or two bad apples. But most are really pleasant. When was the last time a cyclist got done for d*unk driving.

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

Jeez Tom.

Yes. A person being killed by a cyclist is awful. Truly awful. But I'd imagine that there are far less dangers of death by bicycle than by car. A tonne of car being driven by a dick is far more dangerous than roughly 10kg of bike being ridden by one. And I see cars running red lights and almost into pedestrians a lot more often than bikes.

As for go pro culture.... most cyclists wear them for defensive purposes. Car drivers don't see them, don't look, or actively drive at them sometimes. I'd rather a cyclist had the footage to prove reckless driving from a car driver. Maybe there would be one less idiot behind the wheel of a car. And dash cam footage from motorbikes, cars and vans is just as prevalent. In fact about 20% of cars have dashcams for the same reasons I've mentioned.

You have a real bee in your bonnet about cyclists Tom. Did you have a traumatic experience with one once?

Chelmsford

"Jeez Tom.

Yes. A person being killed by a cyclist is awful. Truly awful. But I'd imagine that there are far less dangers of death by bicycle than by car. A tonne of car being driven by a dick is far more dangerous than roughly 10kg of bike being ridden by one. And I see cars running red lights and almost into pedestrians a lot more often than bikes.

As for go pro culture.... most cyclists wear them for defensive purposes. Car drivers don't see them, don't look, or actively drive at them sometimes. I'd rather a cyclist had the footage to prove reckless driving from a car driver. Maybe there would be one less idiot behind the wheel of a car. And dash cam footage from motorbikes, cars and vans is just as prevalent. In fact about 20% of cars have dashcams for the same reasons I've mentioned.

You have a real bee in your bonnet about cyclists Tom. Did you have a traumatic experience with one once?"

Yes...Today.

Read my post

"This moron actually accelerated and veered towards me shouting obscenities with a go pro on his by head that was the size of a house.. it was a 20mph zone.. "

That's ONE moron. And I hope you checked his speedometer. Chances are he wasn't going that fast.

"Jeez Tom.

You have a real bee in your bonnet about cyclists Tom. Did you have a traumatic experience with one once?

Yes...Today.

Read my post "

I meant prior to today, as this isn't the first time you've complained about cyclists.

london/fareham

I imagine it's a nightmare...

Am absolute mare"

Chelmsford

In a 20mph zone I would expect all be vehicles and cycles to travel at 20mph or less...it's not a target speed ...it's the maximum speed

Chelmsford

"Jeez Tom.

Yes...Today.

Read my post

I meant prior to today, as this isn't the first time you've complained about cyclists."

I moan and complain about many things... That's me...get over it

london/fareham

Both of these are extremely good points.

I’d also like to point out that I’m a MASSIVE petrol head and love cars more than cycling but I’m in favour of everyone co exisiting. This thread is just trolling. As always from the OP "

I just think today’s society has lost to much etiquette.

"This moron actually accelerated and veered towards me shouting obscenities with a go pro on his by head that was the size of a house.. it was a 20mph zone.. "

Hahaha. Very few cyclists get above 20mph anyway. I’m fast and I can’t average much more for long periods. I definitely can’t get to 20mph quickly when changing direction like you are describing. I feel like somebody may be telling porky pies. Also the bigger early GoPros were about the size of three 9v batteries together. The new ones are tiny. More exaggeration.

Do you maybe have a little crush on mark cavendish? Is it his wife? She’s stunning. Is it the rejection?

Chelmsford

"This moron actually accelerated and veered towards me shouting obscenities with a go pro on his by head that was the size of a house.. it was a 20mph zone..

Hahaha. Very few cyclists get above 20mph anyway. I’m fast and I can’t average much more for long periods. I definitely can’t get to 20mph quickly when changing direction like you are describing. I feel like somebody may be telling porky pies. Also the bigger early GoPros were about the size of three 9v batteries together. The new ones are tiny. More exaggeration.

Do you maybe have a little crush on mark cavendish? Is it his wife? She’s stunning. Is it the rejection? "

You can't get to 20mph?

Do you have a butchers bike?

Basket on the front, full of meat and a straw hat and stripey apron..

Begone slowly at you 5 mph

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

The problem I have with cyclists is this fascination they have with wearing all black and not having lights.

I am sure it looks cool but out in the country they are often incredibly hard to see. The main issues IMHO are either in bright sunshine between rows of trees where the contrast is really high or when it is dusk and the light is that horrible murkiness where lights don’t quite work.

In those conditions cyclists are become invisible. Even more so if they don’t have lights - and most don’t at that point of the day. I have seen them hit by nutters doing crazy speeds and oaps who were barely going faster than the cyclist. Almost universally the car said they literally didn’t see the cyclist and I believe that.

Why don’t cyclists wear reflective clothes and have lights on their bikes at all times? Fashion is higher priority?

"Jeez Tom.

Yes...Today.

Read my post

I meant prior to today, as this isn't the first time you've complained about cyclists.

I moan and complain about many things... That's me...get over it "

I'm aware. I just asked a simple question.

Chelmsford

"Jeez Tom.

Yes...Today.

Read my post

I moan and complain about many things... That's me...get over it

I'm aware. I just asked a simple question."

Ok.. in answer to your question..

No

He has had numerous incidents with drivers who are completing oblivious or just idiots."

It's not that rare that people are injured by cyclists.

Yes deaths are low but that is usually because the speed is lower than cars.

"The problem I have with cyclists is this fascination they have with wearing all black and not having lights.

I am sure it looks cool but out in the country they are often incredibly hard to see. The main issues IMHO are either in bright sunshine between rows of trees where the contrast is really high or when it is dusk and the light is that horrible murkiness where lights don’t quite work.

In those conditions cyclists are become invisible. Even more so if they don’t have lights - and most don’t at that point of the day. I have seen them hit by nutters doing crazy speeds and oaps who were barely going faster than the cyclist. Almost universally the car said they literally didn’t see the cyclist and I believe that.

Why don’t cyclists wear reflective clothes and have lights on their bikes at all times? Fashion is higher priority?

"

I would agree that it would make sense for cyclists to be more visible. Most of those I see are either wearing brightly coloured clothing, covered in reflectors of whatever type or both.

That's something that could be done to avoid cyclists being hurt or killed and would be sensible.

Cyclists tend to be more of a danger to pedestrians than car drivers. We live on a road that has a cycle lane yet they still continue to cycle on the narrow pavement, We have nearly been hit by cyclists several times while crossing a pedestrian crossing when the green man is on because they don't think red lights apply to them. When you have a disability and can't move that fast cyclists on the pavement is really scary.

Cheltenham

"The problem I have with cyclists is this fascination they have with wearing all black and not having lights.

I would agree that it would make sense for cyclists to be more visible. Most of those I see are either wearing brightly coloured clothing, covered in reflectors of whatever type or both.

That's something that could be done to avoid cyclists being hurt or killed and would be sensible."

I always see the ones in bright clothing. It is the ones in dark clothing I don’t see until it is too late

Chelmsford

This man was shouting obscenities whilst speeding...

Plank

"This man was shouting obscenities whilst speeding...

Plank "

People in glass houses Tom...

By *he Ring WraithMan  over a year ago

Bradford

There are good cyclists and bad cyclists as there are good and bad car drivers and motorcyclists.

The problem is that when the idiot ones come into contact with pedestrians the pedestrians generally come off worse.

with cars clearly it is the cyclists who suffer, however living in a city with a million bikes in use everyday, it is clear that the normal rules of the road are not followed by many cyclists, they seem to think that is the drivers responsibility to avoid them whatever they do.

or maybe it is just the ones i see on my daily commute !

"

You habe made an extremely good point, I see this all to often, especially in rural areas. I am a cyclist, I prefer to use cycle paths quieter roads and yes, pavement, s where its quiet, as cars do try and squeeze past, I can understand its frustration but the no of cyclist causing injury is exceptially minimal compared to cars, the problem with cyclist seems to be more in towns and cities and I agree should be charged with breaking the law of the road.

Chelmsford

"This man was shouting obscenities whilst speeding...

Plank

People in glass houses Tom..."

One thing I never do is speed

Chelmsford

It's the aggressive buggers that bother me...

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

A cyclist was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment today for fatally injuring a pedestrian in July last year. This is the second conviction that I know of in the news in recent years so cyclists are not above the law.

All those bemoaning cyclists not bring pulled up for jumping lights. How many motorists actually get pulled up for doing it? Not many I'd wager.

Make sure your own house is in order before trying to tear others down

Chelmsford

"A cyclist was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment today for fatally injuring a pedestrian in July last year. This is the second conviction that I know of in the news in recent years so cyclists are not above the law.

All those bemoaning cyclists not bring pulled up for jumping lights. How many motorists actually get pulled up for doing it? Not many I'd wager.

Make sure your own house is in order before trying to tear others down "

Is it the coward who ran away from the scene ?

"A cyclist was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment today for fatally injuring a pedestrian in July last year. This is the second conviction that I know of in the news in recent years so cyclists are not above the law.

Is it the coward who ran away from the scene ?"

Yeah, car drivers NEVER run away from incidents where innocent people have been injured or killed. Oh there was that driver in Liverpool who killed two cyclists a couple of years ago who has just gone to jail. He ran away like a coward.

Chelmsford

Yeah, car drivers NEVER run away from incidents where innocent people have been injured or killed. Oh there was that driver in Liverpool who killed two cyclists a couple of years ago who has just gone to jail. He ran away like a coward. "

Well this coward got caught and nailed and thankfully I hope his only exercise is on a static bike in a HMP gym

evesham

Is it the coward who ran away from the scene ?"

Yes. An illegal immigrant no less who fled the scene for dears over his immigration status. I'm surprised you missed that bit.

Chelmsford

Yes. An illegal immigrant no less who fled the scene for dears over his immigration status. I'm surprised you missed that bit. "

Well that's ok then and just dandy...shame he didn't escape to preserve his status eh?

evesham

Yes. An illegal immigrant no less who fled the scene for dears over his immigration status. I'm surprised you missed that bit.

Well that's ok then and just dandy...shame he didn't escape to preserve his status eh?"

What?! I was providing you with more outrage fodder! I personally think he should be deported.

Chelmsford

Well that's ok then and just dandy...shame he didn't escape to preserve his status eh?

What?! I was providing you with more outrage fodder! I personally think he should be deported. "

We almost agree...deported after his jail sentence

evesham

What?! I was providing you with more outrage fodder! I personally think he should be deported.

We almost agree...deported after his jail sentence "

Why after? Why should we pay to keep him in jail?

Although his time served on remand is counted in to his sentence so he will probably only be in for another 6 months or so and any deportation proceeding will be longer than that I'm sure.

Chelmsford

We almost agree...deported after his jail sentence

Why after? Why should we pay to keep him in jail?

Although his time served on remand is counted in to his sentence so he will probably only be in for another 6 months or so and any deportation proceeding will be longer than that I'm sure. "

Not messing with you girl...

You would be a hanging judge

I have no issue with cyclists, live and let live. Drive/ride to within the laws and there won't be a problem, we all have a duty of care to each other and ourselves.

It does annoy me when they ride 2 or 3 abreast making it difficult to overtake. Had this and had aggression aimed at me when the cyclist tried to wave me past him - no you narna, it's a blind bend...I cannot see around corners, I decide when it's safe to overtake thank you.

Chelmsford

"I have no issue with cyclists, live and let live. Drive/ride to within the laws and there won't be a problem, we all have a duty of care to each other and ourselves.

It does annoy me when they ride 2 or 3 abreast making it difficult to overtake. Had this and had aggression aimed at me when the cyclist tried to wave me past him - no you narna, it's a blind bend...I cannot see around corners, I decide when it's safe to overtake thank you. "

Had this too...

More than once...

I must say that in my experience...the more fashionable the cyclist then the more aggressive.. can't you see I am dressed like Bradley Wiggins...Give way you fool..

Horses!

evesham

"I have no issue with cyclists, live and let live. Drive/ride to within the laws and there won't be a problem, we all have a duty of care to each other and ourselves.

It does annoy me when they ride 2 or 3 abreast making it difficult to overtake. Had this and had aggression aimed at me when the cyclist tried to wave me past him - no you narna, it's a blind bend...I cannot see around corners, I decide when it's safe to overtake thank you. "

They are allowed to cycle 2 abreast as per the highway code and its actually easier to pass

= = =

Than it is to pass

- - - - - -

Chelmsford

It does annoy me when they ride 2 or 3 abreast making it difficult to overtake. Had this and had aggression aimed at me when the cyclist tried to wave me past him - no you narna, it's a blind bend...I cannot see around corners, I decide when it's safe to overtake thank you.

They are allowed to cycle 2 abreast as per the highway code and its actually easier to pass

= = =

Than it is to pass

- - - - - - "

Well it's one or the other.

evesham

= = =

Than it is to pass

- - - - - -

Well it's one or the other.

"

Huh?

Had this too...

More than once...

I must say that in my experience...the more fashionable the cyclist then the more aggressive.. can't you see I am dressed like Bradley Wiggins...Give way you fool.."

Sounds like you drive on the same stretch of road as me

The best advice was given to me by my driving instructor who said

"presume that everyone else on the road is an idiot, keep yourself safe and trust your instincts"

So so true

Chelmsford

Had this too...

More than once...

I must say that in my experience...the more fashionable the cyclist then the more aggressive.. can't you see I am dressed like Bradley Wiggins...Give way you fool..

Sounds like you drive on the same stretch of road as me

The best advice was given to me by my driving instructor who said

"presume that everyone else on the road is an idiot, keep yourself safe and trust your instincts"

So so true

"

So so true..

london/fareham

= = =

Than it is to pass

- - - - - - "

I had this debate when I was 16 on a moped with L plates. Correct 2 abreast is legal but it must be staggered not parallel

= = =

Than it is to pass

- - - - - -

I had this debate when I was 16 on a moped with L plates. Correct 2 abreast is legal but it must be staggered not parallel "

Thank you, was going to say this too....and some of the roads I drive on (rural lanes) to ride abreast just is not safe.

By *aulaxd500TV/TS  over a year ago

Wigan

Riding 2 abreast or a single rider riding in the middle of the lane is a defensive technique called the primary position.

Cheltenham

"

I had this debate when I was 16 on a moped with L plates. Correct 2 abreast is legal but it must be staggered not parallel

Thank you, was going to say this too....and some of the roads I drive on (rural lanes) to ride abreast just is not safe. "

100% agree. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean that you should.

Chelmsford

= = =

Than it is to pass

- - - - - -

Thank you, was going to say this too....and some of the roads I drive on (rural lanes) to ride abreast just is not safe. "

You are so right but some just want to exercise their rights and ignore their own safety...

The clue.. go pro on their helmet usually

Chelmsford

"Riding 2 abreast or a single rider riding in the middle of the lane is a defensive technique called the primary position."

And herein lies the problem

= = =

Than it is to pass

- - - - - -

Thank you, was going to say this too....and some of the roads I drive on (rural lanes) to ride abreast just is not safe.

You are so right but some just want to exercise their rights and ignore their own safety...

The clue.. go pro on their helmet usually"

Exactly....

And the highway code states that cyclists should ride single breasted around bends....

Chelmsford

"Riding 2 abreast or a single rider riding in the middle of the lane is a defensive technique called the primary position."

How dare you knock me over...there may be a perfectly safe cycle lane that I choose not to use.. but I am in the PRIMARY position..

Cheltenham

How does that work for you when you are clearly blocking a whole bunch of traffic? I understand it is legal - but doesn’t the speed difference mean that cars are eventually going to try and get past and the longer they wait the higher the likelihood that there will be an “idiot” who gets frustrated and makes a misjudgment?

I get that it is the drivers fault but don’t you think there is some responsibility on the cyclist to adjust to road conditions behind them? Farmers in slow moving tractors move over to allow backed up cars past. Why don’t cyclists do the same in that situation?

It's a faur point, but cyclists are the only wheeled road users that don't contribute to their upkeep. Nor are they actually required to prove they are competent enough to use them, nor are they required, by law, to insure themselves against incurring damage or injury to other road users.

Wigan

"Riding 2 abreast or a single rider riding in the middle of the lane is a defensive technique called the primary position.

How does that work for you when you are clearly blocking a whole bunch of traffic? I understand it is legal - but doesn’t the speed difference mean that cars are eventually going to try and get past and the longer they wait the higher the likelihood that there will be an “idiot” who gets frustrated and makes a misjudgment?

I get that it is the drivers fault but don’t you think there is some responsibility on the cyclist to adjust to road conditions behind them? Farmers in slow moving tractors move over to allow backed up cars past. Why don’t cyclists do the same in that situation?"

I do pull over, when it's safe to do so, as i said it's defensive to stop cars passing at high speed millimetres away

How can cyclists riding 2 abreast both be in the primary position? I.e left of the middle? They'd be riding too close together then surely if both were trying to ride in the primary position?

= = =

Than it is to pass

- - - - - -

The clue.. go pro on their helmet usually

Exactly....

And the highway code states that cyclists should ride single breasted around bends.... "

Just copied this from highway code:

"never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends"

So its not just they can ride two abreast as previously posted

Cheltenham

"Riding 2 abreast or a single rider riding in the middle of the lane is a defensive technique called the primary position.

I get that it is the drivers fault but don’t you think there is some responsibility on the cyclist to adjust to road conditions behind them? Farmers in slow moving tractors move over to allow backed up cars past. Why don’t cyclists do the same in that situation?

I do pull over, when it's safe to do so, as i said it's defensive to stop cars passing at high speed millimetres away"

I don’t think I have ever seen a cyclist pull over in this situation (same as caravans )

Wigan

How dare you knock me over...there may be a perfectly safe cycle lane that I choose not to use.. but I am in the PRIMARY position.."

As clearly stated it's a defensive technique, it's so drivers don't pass millimetres away.

As to cycle lanes the ones near me are used as parking spaces.

evesham

It's a faur point, but cyclists are the only wheeled road users that don't contribute to their upkeep. Nor are they actually required to prove they are competent enough to use them, nor are they required, by law, to insure themselves against incurring damage or injury to other road users."

What pays for the upkeep of roads?

Cheltenham

How dare you knock me over...there may be a perfectly safe cycle lane that I choose not to use.. but I am in the PRIMARY position..

As clearly stated it's a defensive technique, it's so drivers don't pass millimetres away.

As to cycle lanes the ones near me are used as parking spaces. "

I agree with that - people who park in cycle lanes and on double yellows should be shot.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

As to cycle lanes the ones near me are used as parking spaces.

I agree with that - people who park in cycle lanes and on double yellows should be shot."

And on dropped kerbs too

evesham

= = =

Than it is to pass

- - - - - -

I had this debate when I was 16 on a moped with L plates. Correct 2 abreast is legal but it must be staggered not parallel "

Says nothing about being staggered in the highway code unless it's changed since you were 16.

I'll admit it does say to ride single file on bust roads and round bends though

It's a faur point, but cyclists are the only wheeled road users that don't contribute to their upkeep. Nor are they actually required to prove they are competent enough to use them, nor are they required, by law, to insure themselves against incurring damage or injury to other road users."

Low emission cars don’t contribute to road fund license either. I pay road fund license on 3 cars so I think I earn the right to cycle on the road too.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

"It's a faur point, but cyclists are the only wheeled road users that don't contribute to their upkeep."

ALL tax payers contribute to the upkeep of the roads, so unless you think cyclists are magically exempt from all taxation because they ride a bike, you are mistaken.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Education time!

There is not legal requirement for cyclists to have reg plate, an MOT, tax or insurance.

The road traffic act clearly states that motorised vehicle require a suitable level of insurance cover. However some cycling organisations, offer an insurance policy with the membership.

As for tax, that is calculated on the amount of emissions that the engine produces. A bicycle has no engine, therefore not tax. Just the same as electric cars.

Bikes have to be road worthy, but no one checks them. Where would you put a number plate on a bike

Please feel free to read the highway code sections 204 to 225, you might find it interesting.

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"A pedestrian has been killed by a cyclist running a red light.. he or she fled the scene.. I hope they catch the lowlife..

I pulled out of a junction today seeing a cyclist with a go pro the size of a zeppelin on his helmet who accelerated and steered towards me shouting obsene comments..

There are some idiots out there on two wheels who think a go pro gives them diplomatic immunity .. slow down FFS and read the road.."

Apparently he is an illegal immigrant, he fled the scene as he was afraid he might get deported.

Eastbourne

That was the first thing my dad told me at the age of 7, before he took me out on the roads for the first time on my first racer.

Eastbourne

"In a 20mph zone I would expect all be vehicles and cycles to travel at 20mph or less...it's not a target speed ...it's the maximum speed "

How does a cyclists know how fast they are going, I don't have a computer or speedo on my bike.

"It's a faur point, but cyclists are the only wheeled road users that don't contribute to their upkeep.

ALL tax payers contribute to the upkeep of the roads, so unless you think cyclists are magically exempt from all taxation because they ride a bike, you are mistaken.

"

There would be a lot more cyclists about if they were exempt from all taxes. Maybe that’s the way to stop congestion and lower pollution

For no other reason than safety, for all concerned, I think there should be some sort of cycling proficiency that should be passed before venturing on the highways.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"It's a faur point, but cyclists are the only wheeled road users that don't contribute to their upkeep.

There would be a lot more cyclists about if they were exempt from all taxes. Maybe that’s the way to stop congestion and lower pollution "

What about people who cannot ride a bicycle or walk?

People can be arseholes, if they are driving a car or riding a bike.

The real issue is, we need to separate bicycles and motorised vehicles for the safety of the cyclists. Until we do this there are going to be deaths and injuries caused by both parties.

I think we can all agree that we don't want to see people injured or killed.

By *ulldog_71Man  over a year ago

Sedgefield

I fully understand people riding defensively, personally I don't ride aggressively defensive but I have had so many near misses that I can see why some do. Yes some riders need to read the highway code but a lot more drivers do as most have no idea how they should treat cyclists the biggest example is overtaking most cars that come passed me I could stick my hand out and touch them.

By *ean counterMan  over a year ago

Kettering/ Market Harborough

In a lot of central london the speed limit is now 20mph and a lot of people on push bikes are going faster than that! Some, not all, ignore red lights and don't stop for people on zebra crossings. Ive seen quite a few near misses and if a bike hits someone at 20mph plus its going to hurt. Like a lot of road offences these people get away with it as there simply aren't enough police out and about every day

Wigan

"In a lot of central london the speed limit is now 20mph and a lot of people on push bikes are going faster than that! Some, not all, ignore red lights and don't stop for people on zebra crossings. Ive seen quite a few near misses and if a bike hits someone at 20mph plus its going to hurt. Like a lot of road offences these people get away with it as there simply aren't enough police out and about every day"

Highly doubtful many people are exceeding 20mph, a good amateur rider does about 18mph on the flat. Professionals would do about 25mph.

Nobody should jump red lights.

Every road user should obey the limits and show respect to other users

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

You best get ready for the new Highway Code due in the autumn then OP

Bristol

"In a lot of central london the speed limit is now 20mph and a lot of people on push bikes are going faster than that! Some, not all, ignore red lights and don't stop for people on zebra crossings. Ive seen quite a few near misses and if a bike hits someone at 20mph plus its going to hurt. Like a lot of road offences these people get away with it as there simply aren't enough police out and about every day

Highly doubtful many people are exceeding 20mph, a good amateur rider does about 18mph on the flat. Professionals would do about 25mph.

Every road user should obey the limits and show respect to other users"

Any reasonably fit cyclist can hit 25mph at a sprint (depending on the bike!)...and when Strava sections are involved, there is a lot of potential for city sprinting.

evesham

"In a lot of central london the speed limit is now 20mph and a lot of people on push bikes are going faster than that! Some, not all, ignore red lights and don't stop for people on zebra crossings. Ive seen quite a few near misses and if a bike hits someone at 20mph plus its going to hurt. Like a lot of road offences these people get away with it as there simply aren't enough police out and about every day

Any reasonably fit cyclist can hit 25mph at a sprint (depending on the bike!)...and when Strava sections are involved, there is a lot of potential for city sprinting."

In Central London?

Bristol

Any reasonably fit cyclist can hit 25mph at a sprint (depending on the bike!)...and when Strava sections are involved, there is a lot of potential for city sprinting.

In Central London? "

In any city. Sprint sections can be tiny.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Any reasonably fit cyclist can hit 25mph at a sprint (depending on the bike!)...and when Strava sections are involved, there is a lot of potential for city sprinting."

I very fucking unfit, but can still hit 30 mph. Not sprinting per se, just winding up through the gears.

When I raced I hit 35 mph when sprinting, used to be able to keep 26 to 30 mph on the flat.

Till some twat didn't like it.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

My question is this,

Why do cyclists campaign and shout about wanting and needing more cycle tracks building, and when they get them, they don't use them but continue to ride on the road??

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

In Central London? "

Lots of dedicated cycle paths, so easy done

evesham

"My question is this,

Why do cyclists campaign and shout about wanting and needing more cycle tracks building, and when they get them, they don't use them but continue to ride on the road??"

Because they are poorly designed, improperly located, poorly maintained and littered with shit that give you punctures.

Also. They don't have to n

Chelmsford

I could do 30mph on a butchers bike carrying a leg of lamb in the basket..

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I've lost cycling friends in car related deaths.

As sad as it was a death caused by a cyclist is extremely rare.

But death's of cyclist's by motorised vehicles is a regular occurrence.

The only way to make things safer is education and respect.

All road users need to be educated in road safety and all road users should have respect for others.

It's simple.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"A pedestrian has been killed by a cyclist running a red light.. he or she fled the scene.. I hope they catch the lowlife..

There are some idiots out there on two wheels who think a go pro gives them diplomatic immunity .. slow down FFS and read the road.."

Even more idiots on four wheels on the roads x

Chelmsford

Well there are more motorists than cyclists so I suppose it works out in the end...

By *ulldog_71Man  over a year ago

Sedgefield

Op just wondering what he was shouting about?

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Did he know you?

Should we also have all of these to walk down a country Lane or cross the road.

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Tom I wish you would post amusing, funny and interesting things instead of gloomy, negative and scaremongering. It’s so depressing ..

Cheer up! Cheer everyone else up! Be positive

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

The new Highway Code has a change of emphasis: walkers and cyclists will have priority over motorists.

Chelmsford

"Tom I wish you would post amusing, funny and interesting things instead of gloomy, negative and scaremongering. It’s so depressing ..

Cheer up! Cheer everyone else up! Be positive "

I do lots of threads, my sharks, my poisonous snakes, my crocodiles, ketchup, all sorts

I know I cannot please everybody all of the time but I try to entertain...

"The new Highway Code has a change of emphasis: walkers and cyclists will have priority over motorists. "

WTF, when and where, I hope that's take news

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

"The new Highway Code has a change of emphasis: walkers and cyclists will have priority over motorists.

WTF, when and where, I hope that's take news "

Well, whatever "take news" is, this is apparently happening. About time too, given tbe lack of consideration shown by many, whether on four or two wheels.

Chelmsford

Whoever started this post is a moron.. Live and let live.. cyclists and car drivers and other road users need to learn how to share and get on.. Simples

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"The new Highway Code has a change of emphasis: walkers and cyclists will have priority over motorists.

WTF, when and where, I hope that's take news

Well, whatever "take news" is, this is apparently happening. About time too, given tbe lack of consideration shown by many, whether on four or two wheels."

Errmm I think you will find that's been the case for donkeys years.

Pedestrians, horse's, people pushing prams, cyclists have always had right of way over motorised vehicles.

Unless the vehicle is already in a manoeuvre.

Pretty much the same as car Vs car the car that's already committed to the manoeuvre gets right of way.

Sadly many don't see it that was particularly on a roundabout, you can be halfway across the roundabout and some twat assumes that he has the right to enter the roundabout at high speed and aim for anyone already on it.

There's some real selfish arrogant assholes driving these days.

» Add a new message to this topic