FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The Birth Of Marmite

The Birth Of Marmite

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

When German scientist, Liebig discovered that brewer's yeast cells could be concentrated, bottled and eaten, Marmite was as close to being invented as it's possible to be, without actually having being invented...

It was in 1902 that the Marmite Food Company (later Marmite Ltd) was set up in Burton on Trent. Our mission, then as now, was to share the joy of Marmite-eating and make it available to all those with excellent taste.

It took a while to get the machinery and manufacturing process right, but soon enough we started producing great quantities of the spread you know and love today. (Cue widespread celebration and dancing in the streets!)

Any time before 1680 can safely be considered the Dark Ages, certainly as far as Marmite is concerned.

The raw ingredients existed - Marmite is made from brewer's yeast that's been used to ferment sugars into alcohol - but Marmite was yet to be invented.

People simply binned the by-products of brewing before they knew any better.

The penny dropped over the next few centuries when people took a closer look at the brewing process.

First of all Dutch scientist, Leouwanhoek, examined the used brewer's yeast with a microscope and saw it was made of tiny cells. The French scientist Louis Pasteur then realised these cells were in fact living plants. These men had not so much discovered yeast (or Marmite), but they'd discovered its potential nutritional benefits, an important step.

In fact, these men should have been given medals for their contribution to society!!

Making Marmite

The basic production method has changed little since Marmite was first invented. Basically, the used brewer's yeast is broken down to release soluble amino acids and proteins. This soluble material is then concentrated and filtered a few times before going through a unique (and top secret) process for flavour development.

At the end of all this, we end up with yeast extract paste - nearly Marmite but not quite. The finishing touches make all the difference. We add an extra blend of vitamins, vegetable and spice extracts to create the taste your mouth adores!

It's because we add a special vitamin blend to Marmite, enhancing the naturally nutritious yeast that's already there, that you can be sure Marmite's good for you.

Plus, we think toast with Marmite tastes better than most vitamin pills...

B vitamins benefit your body in all sorts of ways. They help regulate the kidneys, liver and nervous system as well as assisting with skin disorders and boosting energy...

Anyone for a dance?

Thanks to its high B vitamin content, Marmite did its bit for the UK in two World Wars.

By the time of the First World War it was included in soldiers ration packs. It also became a staple food in hospitals and schools.

During World War II, Marmite became a dietary supplement in prisoner-of-war camps, and in 1999, it was sent to British peacekeeping forces in Kosovo after we received morale boosting requests from the field.

Marmite originally came in a small earthenware pot, similar to the kind of French casserole dish called a 'Marmite', (pronounced MAR-MEET). This may be where Marmite gets its name from.

You can still see the original 'Marmite' dish pictured on the front of the pot, but we started using glass jars in the 1920s. The shape of the jar and the distinctive red and yellow label have remained pretty much the same since then.

Marmite leaves little room for a middle ground - you either love it or you hate it.

Our recent advertising campaign played on this. It all started when the two people coming up with the ideas found themselves divided by their tastebuds: one of them adored it and the other didn't. And thus a campaign was born.

We celebrated our 100th birthday in 2002 and public demand shows no signs of slowing - so long as you keep eating it, we'll keep churning it out. Surely it must be time for more rejoicing, now where were those dancing shoes?!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Your talent with marmite is only second to your copy and paste skills sir! Well done!

By *lirty14uMan  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

If he's that mad on Marmite, don't start him on paste!

meat paste ?

oh yuck...minced whatever in a jar

Is there some connection between swinging and marmite that i am missing?

"Is there some connection between swinging and marmite that i am missing? "

Is just a buzzword on these forums don't worry about it

"Is there some connection between swinging and marmite that i am missing?

Is just a buzzword on these forums don't worry about it "

A buzzword on a swinging site lol. Thought that was "meet"

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmarmite

love the stuff

i love marmite threads always make me happy lol

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

ooooooh someone smother me in marmite pppppppppllllllllleeeeeeeease

All Hail the sacred Marmite....

I luv it - cover me in it - better still, cover somebody cute in it and let me lick it all off...

Mmmmmm - am I visibly drooling...?

dirtybigbadsgirlville

yes no behave and pass the marmite jar

nutella

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"nutella"
same to you

By *imfromGlasgowMan  over a year ago

er...guess

New use for Marmite found.

"Prisoners at Addiewell jail in West Lothian are said to be making hooch - from Marmite.

The prisoners held at Scotland's newest jail, which opened last December, and is run by private firm Kalyx, are reported to be creating an illicit brew dubbed a Marmite Mule, it was reported today.

The yeast in Marmite is said to kick off the fermentation process when it is added to fruit, vegetables, bread and water."

» Add a new message to this topic