FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Do you have a pond?

Do you have a pond?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rincess peach OP   Woman  over a year ago

shits creek

On the telly box they're on about climate change and how ponds have decreased hugely.

It did make me think about putting one in my garden. Nothing major, no fish or anything but some plants and hopefully attract some wildlife.

If it had actual running costs tho I might have to forget about it.

What you got in yours?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes and if it hadn’t rained the past few days, it would be out of water and just some dry stones

shits creek

"Yes and if it hadn’t rained the past few days, it would be out of water and just some dry stones"

Do you have any "must haves" or "wish I'd done that"?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Not yet but we are going to sink an old container in the ground this winter, make a little pond with it and plant it up. Hoping to attract frogs to eat all the slugs .

Have a Google about, it don't think a small one like we're considering costs any more than the initial outlay on plants, it doesn't need a pump or anything.

By *agerMorganMan  over a year ago

Canvey Island

Parents have a large Koi pond. I’m round there often cleaning the filter and helping doing general maintenance on it.

By *llaboutthewifeCouple  over a year ago

Cardiff

Yes 5 goldfish in ours, they seem quite happy. There is also a little waterfall thingy, which is v relaxing

Jo x

shits creek

"Not yet but we are going to sink an old container in the ground this winter, make a little pond with it and plant it up. Hoping to attract frogs to eat all the slugs .

Have a Google about, it don't think a small one like we're considering costs any more than the initial outlay on plants, it doesn't need a pump or anything."

The one I saw the dude literally dug a hole, lined it with pond liner sheet, secured the sheet with slabby things on the outside and filled it with water. Within 2 weeks it had bugs in it and after a couple of months there were frogs.

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

It’s easy except dealing with blanket . But with a good filter, pump and enough plants it’s a lovely feature for the garden.

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

Doesn’t cost much when up and running

I’ve got an attenuation pond on my new estate if that’s any good?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Not yet but we are going to sink an old container in the ground this winter, make a little pond with it and plant it up. Hoping to attract frogs to eat all the slugs .

Have a Google about, it don't think a small one like we're considering costs any more than the initial outlay on plants, it doesn't need a pump or anything.

The one I saw the dude literally dug a hole, lined it with pond liner sheet, secured the sheet with slabby things on the outside and filled it with water. Within 2 weeks it had bugs in it and after a couple of months there were frogs.

"

Sounds lovely . I've got a little solar powered fountain, you could float one on a pond like that to keep the water aerated.

Ps I wish I could say "dude" and not look like an old lady trying to be cool

shits creek

"I’ve got an attenuation pond on my new estate if that’s any good? "

I had to Google I'm that poor and had never heard of it

No, don’t think It would be a good idea as my toddlers once went ‘swimming’ in somebody else’s pond.

I saw I segment on bbc breakfast this morning… I keep contemplating putting one in my garden. I think they look great and very relaxing!

shits creek

Sounds lovely . I've got a little solar powered fountain, you could float one on a pond like that to keep the water aerated.

Ps I wish I could say "dude" and not look like an old lady trying to be cool "

I think I'm gonna do it!

Give me a couple of years and I will be that old lady who people think is trying to be cool when it's just my everyday chatter.

I'm totally gonna be a candidate for the "crazy old bird down the road" title

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Yes but it's from the previous owners. Need to make it safe for the chickens first though. And then look at sorting it out think that's next year's project though.

By *ruebameMan  over a year ago

from the womb and tryout to get back

My previous house had a large pond and a river running through it my new little home doesn't have a garden just a large yard so I've built a water feature with a old wooden barrel put a solar water pump in to create a waterfall there's a few oxygen plants in with some gold fish and I've somehow got frogs this year can't beat the sound of water

No because I don’t like frogs

shits creek

"I saw I segment on bbc breakfast this morning… I keep contemplating putting one in my garden. I think they look great and very relaxing! "

I bet that's the bit I caught this afternoon. I only want a little something and I'll put it next to where girl dog is buried. At the back of that bit I've planted some climbers, a clematis and a passion flower so if it all comes together it should look full up but literally upwards and not actually take up much garden space

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

My parents did and I loved sitting on the bench next to it, listening to the fountain noises.

I had lots of children in my garden for years so I didn't have one.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Ps I wish I could say "dude" and not look like an old lady trying to be cool

I think I'm gonna do it!

Give me a couple of years and I will be that old lady who people think is trying to be cool when it's just my everyday chatter.

I'm totally gonna be a candidate for the "crazy old bird down the road" title "

No because my children and husband are clumsy.

My mom has a large pond, with koi carp in. Has a waterfall too. It’s lovely to sit and watch, but the pump etc can be expensive and takes a lot of upkeep x

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

"I saw I segment on bbc breakfast this morning… I keep contemplating putting one in my garden. I think they look great and very relaxing!

I bet that's the bit I caught this afternoon. I only want a little something and I'll put it next to where girl dog is buried. At the back of that bit I've planted some climbers, a clematis and a passion flower so if it all comes together it should look full up but literally upwards and not actually take up much garden space "

That sounds lovely.

shits creek

"No, don’t think It would be a good idea as my toddlers once went ‘swimming’ in somebody else’s pond. "

Oh jeez

By *asian_fruitMan  over a year ago

Fuckingham Palace

Pond dipping is great fun

shits creek

"I saw I segment on bbc breakfast this morning… I keep contemplating putting one in my garden. I think they look great and very relaxing!

I bet that's the bit I caught this afternoon. I only want a little something and I'll put it next to where girl dog is buried. At the back of that bit I've planted some climbers, a clematis and a passion flower so if it all comes together it should look full up but literally upwards and not actually take up much garden space

That sounds lovely."

In my head I think so, however this is me we're talking about so expect it all to be lop sided and easy to see it's been done by someone who's giving it a go instead of accomplished handy garden person

By *otplumMan  over a year ago

Margate

Got a deep pond with koi, love it

"Yes and if it hadn’t rained the past few days, it would be out of water and just some dry stones

Do you have any "must haves" or "wish I'd done that"? "

The previous owners put it in. From dealing with, the bushes they put around it are a pain because they drop leaves in there all the time and any week now, one of them will dump it’s whole load (fnar) in a day or two.

Other than that, it’s simple to maintain and a nice addition to the garden

I bet that's the bit I caught this afternoon. I only want a little something and I'll put it next to where girl dog is buried. At the back of that bit I've planted some climbers, a clematis and a passion flower so if it all comes together it should look full up but literally upwards and not actually take up much garden space "

Oh that sounds lovely do it! That would look really pretty you can even get little solar powered water features and lights for it

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

No, I don't have one, but being as I live on the top floor, it's useless pondering on the thought

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man  over a year ago

Stourbridge

Got frogs and other assorted wildlife, the Heron ate the fish sadly. Birds use the waterfall to bathe and the foxes venture up to drink in warm weather but the dogs aren’t keen on that

By *ickshawedCouple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

My parents put a pond in their garden about 30 years ago when I was old enough to be trusted not to drown myself in it. Originally they used a sunken barrel but after that rotted they used a plastic pond that was already shaped to have a deep part and a shallow channel on the edge.

They use water to keep it oxygenated. There's some bricks and rocks at the bottom so creatures have places to hide. Also there's plants around the edge, not too many but enough to give some cover.

They have frog orgies every year and so many tadpoles my mum chops up slices of ham to feed them (it's lovely to watch them eating). They've also had newts and the birds stop for a drink.

Ongoing costs are minimal. They've never had to buy more water, it's so healthy they have to pull some out occasionally before it takes over the whole pond.

It's a lovely thing to have in your garden if you don't have small children to worry about

Put a preformed pond in my garden couple weeks ago no fish but plenty of birds bathing in it and seen squirrels and couple hedgehogs drinking from in in the night

By *hunderace...Man  over a year ago

Porthmadog and Dudley

Have spade PP will travel

» Add a new message to this topic