FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Thoughts on new job I've started please

Thoughts on new job I've started please

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I applied for an outdoor job, general labouring role.

In the interview, I was told that they'd want me in an office role, sorting forms, fiddly mundane job but if I mess it up categorising then it can cause big trouble! I was told that if I didn't like it they'd find other work for me.

I started and being shown The ropes by a woman who's due and going on maternity leave tomorrow for 9 months.

I hate the job allready, I thought I'd manage it but got home tonight after getting a knot in my stomach with stress all day.

There's an older woman there who is really calm and saying not to worry.

She's also nosey and knows the area I live in. And knows people I went to school with.

I had a horrible school experience and was heavily bullied and not keen on the older woman listening to crap others may spout n about me and making snide remarks.

I'm from an area where everybody knows everybody

I am waiting for the pregnant woman to go on maternity leave before saying I don't like the job incase she's pressured or feels compelled to rturn to work.

I'm also skint and need the money but my elf are comes first

Have I got a valid reason to pack the job given the stress in feeling or is it best to stick it out?

Thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

#wellfare comes first

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

I hate every job when I first start come home and cry! Stick with it if u can for bit longer! Know what u mean that horrid what have I done feeling in tummy I wish u well x

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

OP, For most people the first few days or even weeks in a new job are not pleasant and loaded with anxiety - you are not alone in this. The more you learn (and by the sound of it there is at least one person who is telling you not to worry) the more you will relax and begin to feel more comfortable.

Before you chuck it in, give it a good try. At the end of the day your mental health comes first but imagine for a moment that you actually can do the job well, what a sense of achievement this might give you. Leaving is always an option but perhaps give it good try first.

Also, ask as many questions as you need to ask and make notes of the answers would be my advice.

Best of luck! xx

By *ouise73Woman  over a year ago

Crawley

How long have you been there?

I've just started a new job and it's soo boring and keep thinking it's not for me but you need to give it time.

By *uzz And WoodyCouple  over a year ago

Maidstone

How about finding another job before jacking this one in? Or politely say you’d feel more comfortable in the role you originally applied for.

I don’t think many people like a job when they first start, it takes a while to settle in, learn the ropes and feel confident with the job and the people.

As for the nosey colleague, just be polite and keep her at an arms length. So what if she knows people you know? Unless you have lots to hide then don’t worry about it. And school was a lifetime ago, it’s a shame you had a bad experience but you can’t let control your future.

Good luck x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yeah your health comes first but the reality is you won't get universal credit if you give the job up. You could keep looking for another job while your there, seems easier to get another job if your working rather than not x

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Also op the older woman probably either won't mention you outside of work or if she does won't take any notice of anything people say.

Anxiety is horrible. Ask for as much help as you need at work, if you're not sure if something you've done ask someone to double check it...after a couple of times of being told you've done it correctly your confidence will build.

We all want to get things right but nobody ever knows everything when they're new at a job.

Good luck op.

May not be applicable, but if you spot a task that isn't being done well, needs doing, you can do it, nobody else bothers, give it a try...it could expand into a niche role that you do well...worked for me for 20 years!

Good luck.

By *elshkinkyMan  over a year ago

south wales

You are outside your comfort zone atm and it’s fight or flight… my view is that you stick with it and see how it goes for a bit longer … once you get used to the role then see how you feel

Thanks for the replies, been in job 2 days. Indoors Office environment with women in it isn't what I'm used to.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It's a new experience. You will get used to it.

You are nearly 60 - Hardly anyone you went to school with remembers anything about anything.

You are over anxious but you need to STAY and face that bear or it will still be there next week.

You don't have a legitimate reason to give up the job = not in my world.

You will like and respect yourself so much better if you stick it out, at least for now.

"Thanks for the replies, been in job 2 days. Indoors Office environment with women in it isn't what I'm used to. "

Keep your head down and look for something else. Look at this as temporary until something else comes along

I started a new job in the summer and I knew after the first couple of days that it was not for me but kept thinking it would improve but it never did, it was toxic, I was bullied and my boss took no responsibility for her staff, my MH suffered, just not worth it. Luckily something came along at a place I worked at prior, best feeling ever walking out and now I'm much happier.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Thanks for the replies, been in job 2 days. Indoors Office environment with women in it isn't what I'm used to. "

after I had my children I worked in all sorts of jobs that fitted in with childcare etc. Once they started school I could go back to what I'd been doing pre children but things had changed dramatically even in the short time I'd been away. I spent the first month in my new job shaking like a leaf, literally. I worried about every damn thing but it was ok in the end and I stayed there until I decided not to work anymore.

By *AYENCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Tell yourself you'll do it for one month and if you still feel the same, you'll quit. Also think about how you'll reward yourself when you receive your first salary payment.

Hope I didn't make myself out to be soppy or anything

Thanks for the help everyone

By *obyn GravesTV/TS  over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

Am I reading this right..?.. the job was advertised as outside work..yet when interviewed they tell you different..so basically they misleaded with the job description...?..

"Am I reading this right..?.. the job was advertised as outside work..yet when interviewed they tell you different..so basically they misleaded with the job description...?.."

They said I'd applied for the outdoor work labouring ob, but because I have a history of working as an it field engineer, asked if I'd try out the office work sorting out paperwork as the woman in office was going on maternity.

By *obyn GravesTV/TS  over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

"Am I reading this right..?.. the job was advertised as outside work..yet when interviewed they tell you different..so basically they misleaded with the job description...?..

They said I'd applied for the outdoor work labouring ob, but because I have a history of working as an it field engineer, asked if I'd try out the office work sorting out paperwork as the woman in office was going on maternity.

Oh I see...well on the plus side working indoors this time of year maybe a bonus.. once it starts snowing..

"

"Am I reading this right..?.. the job was advertised as outside work..yet when interviewed they tell you different..so basically they misleaded with the job description...?..

Oh I see...well on the plus side working indoors this time of year maybe a bonus.. once it starts snowing..

"

Lol yeah your right there

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Hope I didn't make myself out to be soppy or anything "

No, you didn't. I think too many of us keep these sort of very normal anxieties to ourselves. Quite often just talking this stuff through can make you feel better.

"Hope I didn't make myself out to be soppy or anything

No, you didn't. I think too many of us keep these sort of very normal anxieties to ourselves. Quite often just talking this stuff through can make you feel better. "

Phewww thanks lol

» Add a new message to this topic