FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Any commercial drivers here?

Any commercial drivers here?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just a query regarding how you record checks on a vehicle before driving.

Currently where I'm working at the moment, a driver is given an a4 sheet form to complete, with stuff on it like check tread depth, lights, etc..

A4 sheet of paper with about 40 things to check. Do other hauliers do this too?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Just a query regarding how you record checks on a vehicle before driving.

Currently where I'm working at the moment, a driver is given an a4 sheet form to complete, with stuff on it like check tread depth, lights, etc..

"

Ours used to be in a log book that each van had. It's now on our handheld computer.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

I'm not a driver, but I've worked with a lot of logistics companies, and I wouldn't say that this is uncommon. It's probably a requirement of the insurance company. It's also a cheap and easy way of having a record that you have done the checks so that any safety violations are your responsibility rather than theirs.

I'm sure some do it electronically, but depending on the size of the fleet it might be an awful lot of laptops/tablets to buy when a ream of paper costs a few pounds...I'd guess that rising fuel prices will mean no unnecessary spending at the moment.

Currently I've got a few thousand sheets of forms to store, cardboard box loads piling up lol, just was thinking there's got to be an easier way to do this in the 21st century lol

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

"Currently I've got a few thousand sheets of forms to store, cardboard box loads piling up lol, just was thinking there's got to be an easier way to do this in the 21st century lol"

Are you not supposed to hand them in? I would have thought the company needs them for their records

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I'm not a driver but I have worked as a despatch supervisor and everything went paperless about 5 years ago with all prechecks etc on an epod device.

By *ts the taking part thatMan  over a year ago

southampton

"Just a query regarding how you record checks on a vehicle before driving.

"

Yeah sounds about right, most these days have PDA or a defect book but it is a tick box exercise to some extent as quick to see your lights work of if excessive smoke.

You need to see your tyres are legal etc (1mm on hgv) and wheelnuts intact and tight but much of it you'll sail through if on the same vehicle each day as you will be well aware of issues.

Needs doing though and show the first 10 or 15 minute tacho time is committed to it by not driving.

If picking up other trailer regularly then really commit time to this.

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

yes checked the vehicle out everytime.

Also logged any other faults that was on the vehicles when I got into the cab.

If your a hire driver always take a photo before you set off of any faults as well.

Make sure you report to the yard system as well.

"Currently I've got a few thousand sheets of forms to store, cardboard box loads piling up lol, just was thinking there's got to be an easier way to do this in the 21st century lol

Are you not supposed to hand them in? I would have thought the company needs them for their records "

I'm the office guy they hand them into

By *enonlyMan  over a year ago

Stoke On Trent

We do the check list on a gtak hand held device

» Add a new message to this topic