FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Has someone ever challenged you about something and didn’t know you were an expert

Has someone ever challenged you about something and didn’t know you were an expert

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usman 199 OP   Man  over a year ago

Stockport

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Not exactly challenged. A really nice man was mansplaining the design of a roof on a local building , telling me that it was made that way so as to resist high wind. He was making lovely gesticulations with his hands and arms until I said ...... Oh yes , the design seems to have incorporated Bernoulli's Principle ..... and he ended his demo.

Like that do you mean ?

I'm no expert but men do like to explain as if they are your daddy or you are thick.

By *anBerksMan  over a year ago

Berkshire

Ah yes, at work where someone tried to belittle me in front of a group of peers until I systematically and categorically disproved all of their claims and backed it up quoting the exact industry standards that should be applied and why.

They tried to make me look an arse, but only succeeded in making themselves look like a total unknowledgeable twat.

I love moments like that!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have worked in my industry for 20+ I would never claim to be an expert bur tend to know my stuff.

I do get a lot of this is how you should do it. I tend to listen and take it in but just leave it at that

Not directly.

Few instances when working and people are discussing materials selection and they quite clearly have no clue what they're talking about. I butt in and they scoff at my suggestions, saying I'm wrong. That is until I show them I was the lead on the research for the very issue we are discussing and the conclusions for selection are now globally accepted as the standard to follow.

A few people have try to pass off my research as their own in other papers not realising I was one of the peer reviewers, never goes down well.

Bit of a less serious one here.

KG once challenged me to Scrabble

He hasn't bothered since

PNG x

By *RANDMRSJAECouple  over a year ago

chester

No! Regrettably, I’m not an expert in anything

When I was in my early twenties, I lived in France for a year as part of my degree course. One day, I was on a train to Luxembourg … in a carriage of French soldiers I’m sure it would be a fantasy for many, but I was shy and on my own.

A couple of them were talking about me - in French obviously - in a disrespectful way. They would have assumed I didn’t understand, as every person I ever encountered seemed to know I wasn’t French

So I told him off in French, in front of all his mates. Face was priceless

Expert on Jaffa cakes

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

We l had some trades guys trying to tell you something that you know is not right as you have quite a good knowledge yourself in that area. Lots of IT guys are very knowledgeable and really know their stuff but hate it when they tell you yo check it's plugged in or turn it on and off and such like as if you wouldn't have done that already

By *indergirlWoman  over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

In my job for 16 years, wouldn't class myself as an expert but anything I recommend is for a reason, not because I'm trying to upsell (not on commission as a lot like to believe).

So when the product comes back and you're not happy, I'll refer back to my notes and say well you declined this and that so......

By *irthandgirthMan  over a year ago

Camberley occasionally doncaster

Often...last one was a lady in my office trying to tell a group of us "a Harrier jump jet would fall out of the sky without its flight computer"

Me:"erm, that's not right"

Her: "what would you know?"

Me: Well I worked on them for 5 years and passed exams on the avionics systems. I could draw you a diagram if you like"

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Trust me , I’m no expert.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

A company I managed agreed to accept equipment from another company that owed us a lot of money at the time. A year later it was obvious that the equipment was not fit for purpose and was affecting our longstanding image in the industry for quality and service.

We returned it all and told them to pay what they owed but when they refused it ended up in court.

Their barrister tried to discredit our business and me in particular by claiming that the equipment was perfectly fine and the issue was lack of training on our part.

He said his clients had attempted on numerous occasions to arrange training days for our staff and we had refused.

I then explained that the reason we had refused was that just 2 years earlier his clients were not even in the industry and were completely inexperienced when they started their business.

So much so that they delayed opening for a month so that all their directors and staff could spend the time shadowing me and my staff and getting one to one training at the same time. Therefore it was highly unlikely that any of them had anything to offer in regards to training us in the use of equipment that we had 50 years combined experience in using.

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple  over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

Many moons ago, very high spec project on a significant London landmark.

The project is going hideously wrong due to the architects lack of experience on this type of project.

Despite every contractor doing their best to help him, all ignored because "I'm the architect" and "I'm the professional here"

Finally the client calls a meeting. His representatives, engineers, contractors, butcher, baker, candlestick maker.

And the architect......

At one point he picks up a recessed downright and hurls it down the table. "Can somebody tell me why on a high profile project, for a blue chip client, you are installing cheap, chappy, 3rd rate fittings like this!!!!!!!!!! "

Our PM stands up with a copy of the Architects spec in his hand, and with the best poker face I've ever seen says; "because it's what you said you wanted"

No I didn't!!!!!!!!!

"Yes you did, its here in section 3, you've even given us a quotation number and reference from the manufacturer"

No!!!!!!! That's design intent only!!!!!!!

"Oh......(long pause) It says on the drawings, For Qotation............"

Watching everyone around the table scrabbling through the spec to find the reference...comedy gold.

Even the clients representatives pissed themselves laughing.

Winston

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Not so much challenged but I often hear people talking utter rubbish about what I did my degree in and I have to bite my tongue.

I also once had an ex boyfriend who believed he knew more about female orgasms than me... a woman .

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Expert is a strong word, but yeah, happens quite a bit

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

People challenge Dick on a daily basis, he's been working in his industry since and knows his stuff.

One person questions me daily at work hence me putting in a grievance and leaving.

All the freaking time, telling me about thoughts on things they haven’t experienced on their own skin and have absolutely have little knowledge about. Yet they are expert on those issues

Makes my blood boil

» Add a new message to this topic