FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Alcohol, dying out?

Alcohol, dying out?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *illlogan OP   Man  over a year ago

Essex

I have noticed in my friendship group that over half have them have quit drinking or are in the process of doing so.

I quit in 2014 and was seen as basically an alien by most.

But the generation below me (gen z) find drinking very 'uncool' in articles and polls I've seen. Much like my generation tend to see smoking as a filthy, pointless habit, wheres as the generation above me (boomers if you will) have little issue with it.

How do you feel about alcohol? Do you think its becoming more popular to be alcohol free?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Woooooooooah lad steady on, you rattled me so mych i need a pint abd a fag

By *affron40Woman  over a year ago

manchester

Ive had one alcohol evening in over 2 years.. I don’t need booze and prefer to live booze free.

By *ixenforfunWoman  over a year ago

banes mask

I dont drink. I figured very early on alcohol was not for me.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I don't think I know many people who don't drink alcohol.

I have the odd bottle of cider rarely. I had 7 pints back in October 2 year ago. But I haven't really d*unk anything heavy since my 18th. (Last I remember it was 730pm)

I just don't see the fascination...

By *dward_TeagueMan  over a year ago

wolverhampton

What is this giving up alcohol of which you speak?

By *uby StarCouple  over a year ago

Durham

We don't know many people who don't drink. We rarely drink in the house but we enjoy a few drinks when we are out, but not to the d*unk stage.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I'm what you might call a binge drinker, but can easily lay off the for 3 weeks or more with no side effects

Follow your heart.

I much prefer a less boozy lifestyle. Been there done that. Getting shit faced just isn't appealing and hasn't been for a while.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"I much prefer a less boozy lifestyle. Been there done that. Getting shit faced just isn't appealing and hasn't been for a while. "

This is my stance as well

I never liked the vast majority of alcoholic drinks so stuck to beers, but being prone to headaches/migraines made drinking any alcohol untenable. I also witnessed first-hand the effects of alcoholism on a family and a friend was killed by a d*unk driver.

I suffer with migraines which alcohol doesn't help, so I tend to avoid it.

I had my unmemorable nights when I was younger but I got that out of my system and it very quickly lost it's appeal.

I'll have the odd tipple now and again with a meal, but I rarely drink more than one and a quite happy without it.

I can’t afford to drink these days, it’s been that way for some time so I’ve not missed it. I reflect on some of my boozier escapades and wonder why the fuck I behaved like that. It all seems so pointless when I look back on it now.

It’s turned me away from drinking, apart from the very occasional (months apart) rum shot.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I've never tasted alcohol or smoked not even out of curiosity and never felt the need or understood the attraction.

I was told once that I wasn't a real man if I didn't drink and replied that it took a bigger man not to.

I've been told by an Englishman on a course that I couldn't really be Irish if I didn't drink and exactly the same by an American woman on hols.

"Follow your heart."

That's the spirits.

By *erverseintentionsMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Worst drug of the lot , I used to manage a pub and IV witnessed several people die from alcohol related deaths . .really irks me how a drug like alcohol is tolerated and promoted whilst drugs like are criminalised and the users are convicted.. there's not one single recorded death from cannabis use.. for cannabis to be toxic and lethal something like 30 k joints would have to be smoked simultaneously. With no extra added oxygen .. whereas iv seen people die from consuming less than a litre of vodka . Deplorable country we live in... And just for awareness .. Britain is the biggest producer of medical cannabis in the world ...and theresa Mays husband is the companies CEO . Hypocrisy or what.

I like alcohol.

No story as to why, just this informative post.

It's all fun and games when your younger hanging around the canal with a bottle of frosty jacks cider thinking your hard. These days all I want is a cup of tea.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I enjoy a glass off wine at home on my nights off but going out for a drink is far too expensive so I usually drive.

By *RANDMRSJAECouple  over a year ago

chester

Love a drink! The end

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

I think it's just part of growing up. I used to smoke but gave that up in the 80s and don't know anyone that smokes. I drink significantly less these days and prefer to remain in control, plus this older version of me can't hack a hangover.

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

As my profile says I am a social drinker, I do keep a well stocked cupboard of wines and spirits and to be sociable will always offer visitors whatever alcoholic drink they would like.

Personally I drink perhaps a couple of bottles of wine a week with my evening meal. I will never drive if I have had alcohol in the previous 24 hours.

Like many things in life I can take it or leave it.

By *errocaWoman  over a year ago

Shropshire

I really do like a drink from time to time, not very often though, because once I start, I don't like to stop.

I can take it or leave it, but once I take it I get carried away. And don’t suffer hangovers so can mix stupid drinks and be fine the next day.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I very rarely drink anymore and if I do it might be just one drink when I'm out. But I've never been a big drinker even when younger. I've had a few nights where I got d*unk but 95% of the time even back there I was driving so I didn't drink.I had two hangovers in total in my life and after the second one I decided it wasn't worth it.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Follow your heart.

That's the spirits. "

He drinks Martini off the rocks ^

By *igBrianSWMan  over a year ago

Near WSM

I thought it was an age thing - I got to the stage where even a mile hangover lasts well into the next week, and even a couple of drinks leaves me feeling below par the next day. It stopped being worthwhile a few years back.

As for the young ‘uns, I think it could just be that they peak early, spend their teenage years throwing up in the local park and have it out of their system by the time they’re adults?

Recovering alcoholic. Nearly 7 weeks sober... and proud

Had my first sober night out last Friday and it just so happened to be at a club. A night I will remember, fir so many reasons haha

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Never been a big drinker! Like a glass of red wine now and then and the fruity ciders in the summer x

By *errocaWoman  over a year ago

Shropshire

"Recovering alcoholic. Nearly 7 weeks sober... and proud

Had my first sober night out last Friday and it just so happened to be at a club. A night I will remember, fir so many reasons haha"

That's amazing.. Keep up the good work. X

By *for2Man  over a year ago

Bristol

Like the occasional beer or sometimes a glass of wine with a meal. Might have a nice brandy or a liqueur coffee after a meal, but probably only 2/3 times a year so not a drinker per se but now and then it can be enjoyable. More about the taste than the alchohol for me.

"Recovering alcoholic. Nearly 7 weeks sober... and proud

Had my first sober night out last Friday and it just so happened to be at a club. A night I will remember, fir so many reasons haha

That's amazing.. Keep up the good work. X"

Thankyou for that, I intend too.

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

I went years without drinking alcohol but now drink the occasional gin and tonic

By *llabouttheladyMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

Love the stuff, I have a drink every night, I find it relaxing and believe the natural ingredients have a positive effect on my health.

By a drink I mean a couple of bottles of beer, a glass of red wine or a can of Guinness with my meal. I very rarely binge drink.

My next door neighbour lived in to his late 90’s and swore by it, and just look at the Italians and French

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

Chichester

"I have noticed in my friendship group that over half have them have quit drinking or are in the process of doing so.

I quit in 2014 and was seen as basically an alien by most.

But the generation below me (gen z) find drinking very 'uncool' in articles and polls I've seen. Much like my generation tend to see smoking as a filthy, pointless habit, wheres as the generation above me (boomers if you will) have little issue with it.

How do you feel about alcohol? Do you think its becoming more popular to be alcohol free? "

I find younger generations like drugs way more especially and prescription drugs from my observations of where I live and work (globally usa / eu / uk )

Myself I don’t drink / smoke / use drugs .

I think young people drink less outdoors nowadays hence decline of pubs , though it seems they drink indoors / parties

Most likely because all the young’uns are all too busy stabbing one another to have time to drink.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

I just don't drink alcohol. I neither like it nor enjoy it. Zero interest in it. I've seen the dark side of what it can do, and distanced myself from it early on.

My guess is that a lot of those in younger generations have done the same or similar to myself. It's also a luxury I don't need to consider giving up whenever money gets tight. Also helps prevent money getting tight!

Not sure I'm totally in your court.

I predicted 20 years ago the the relaxation of licensing laws could lead to more relaxed attitude to drinking and that binge drinking because of the short opening hours would reduce considerably. I think that there are more than signs of this.

Smoking had been on the wane for years, the public place ban has accelerated this. I smoked, as did most of my peers but gave up 40 years ago. Best decision ever.

Pub sales of alcohol are going down and covid also had accelerated this. But supermarket sales are increasing and the popularity of designer drinks is encouraging this trend

By *uv2kissMan  over a year ago

fenland

I've never been a big drinker and using a motorbike every day meant I couldn't really drink anyway.

But one Christmas riding back to London on the A12 I put my foot down when I came to a set of traffic lights and missed the road and fell over.

I realised then I could not drink at all.

That was over 40 years ago and now I may have one Alcoholic drink with a meal but it's so rare I may as well be tee total.

By *ixi n DogCouple  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

What a load of quittin' talk..

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I've just had a pm off the back of this thread, obviously I need to drink more

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Hope not. I like a few drinks on a night out.

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

I've never liked it. It's never been something I've ever had any difficulty avoiding.

I think not drinking alcohol is becoming more popular. I don't think it's seen with the revulsion that smoking often is. I can't see it dying out though. Luke

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Hope not. I like a few drinks on a night out.

"

She pours Gin on her Cornflakes ^

Rugby- I say no more, tonic water or soft drink won't cut it

By *exy Ruby 100 300Couple  over a year ago

unknown

Morning we both enjoy a drink ,love to party couldn't imagine not drinking never entered my mind.We both look 4ward to finishing work n a Friday n having few JDs lol x

"Morning we both enjoy a drink ,love to party couldn't imagine not drinking never entered my mind.We both look 4ward to finishing work n a Friday n having few JDs lol x"

Honey Jack straight oh hell Yes

By *bostCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

I (Mr) really enjoy beer, to the point that I’d maybe class it as a hobby. It doesn’t mean I’m an insufferable beer snob/bore, more that I enjoy trying the way adding different hops or yeasts can completely change the flavours produced in a beer.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

She pours Gin on her Cornflakes ^ "

. I’m not that bad. Although I do sometimes look at the time and think is it too early for a bit of baileys in my latte

By *illingVicMan  over a year ago

Sevenoaks

I drink maybe one or two units a year.

That said, on the rare occasion I get to go out with my BFF (she’s a super bad influence) I have historically been the very definition of a binge drinker.

Poor lass has had to dissuade me from making various...mistakes

By *xiled BikerMan  over a year ago

York

Well I am baby boomer gen, only just, dont smoke, stopped 20 years ago but yes no problem with alcohol although now its usually odd night on a weekend at home with meal.

Have just as many friends drink as dont.

She pours Gin on her Cornflakes ^

. I’m not that bad. Although I do sometimes look at the time and think is it too early for a bit of baileys in my latte "

Err.. it’s never too early for baileys in coffee.

By *r_GreyscaleMan  over a year ago

North Herts

I'm having a month off alcohol, it may become two months....

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

I don't drink and neither does my brother or cousins because we feel like we learned from the previous generation which had a big drinking culture. I can understand it to be fair, especially with rising costs of living that alcohol has been seen as an unnecessary spending habit.

By *ausageNmashCouple  over a year ago

Andover

We don't smoke but like a beer. Each to their own.

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Judging by the amount of bars, nightclubs and the fact that the local Asda has 3 alcohol isles, may suggest that alcohol is thriving.

I smoke in phases, need to stop for good really. Can't imagine not drinking though, I don't mind taking or leaving it at home but not sure what I'd do socially as all my friends drink. Would certainly save a bit of money quitting I guess..maybe that's partly why it's been on the decline?

By *ulfilthmentMan  over a year ago

Just around the corner

"Judging by the amount of bars, nightclubs and the fact that the local Asda has 3 alcohol isles, may suggest that alcohol is thriving."

Same here. York exists almost solely on booze judging by the ratio of pubs, bars and clubs to other outlets.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

How do you know so much about the habits and preferences of different age groups ?

NO one I know smokes. That's because of who we are and what we think and is not much to do with our age.

I used to work in a Uni student rich area. Like stats wise I think it’s something like 60% students and 40% professionals and families.

Student drinking is still there but like OP has noticed it is reducing. The majority of them are either full of toot and Colombian marching powder and the other half are supplying it through county lines

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

I was never a big drinker anyway but stopped a few years ago. Nieces and nephews don't drink.

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

I am not normally a huge drinker though I drank most days in lockdown.

It doesn't bother me if I don't drink for months at a time.

Judging by the amount of kids who come to sit on the grass in front of these flats to get slaughtered on vodka and alcopops though, binge drinking has by no means died out in younger generations, they just don't do it in bars and clubs in the way my mates and I did at that age.

By *illlogan OP   Man  over a year ago

Essex

"How do you know so much about the habits and preferences of different age groups ?

NO one I know smokes. That's because of who we are and what we think and is not much to do with our age. "

My job has me speaking to all age ranges daily, it crops up in conversation and just noticed a trend in opinions

But similar to you, I literally know no one from my personal friendship groups that smokes, one or 2 that vape at best.

Like others have mentioned, as the hangovers got worse, the attraction died for me!

Looks like there are more non/rare drinkers than I thought on here!

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm a rare drinker and I get a lot less stick for it than I used to

» Add a new message to this topic