FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Halloween

Halloween

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ifornow OP   Couple  over a year ago

Skegness

Here it comes again.

We think it's great fun every year !

Do you enjoy it or is it getting too mundane ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Never celebrate it. It's an American thing.

By *anesjhCouple  over a year ago

LONDON.

"Never celebrate it. It's an American thing."

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I love it!!!

It's great to dress up with the kids and fun when you go to a party as well

Another Hallmark moment designed to part us from our cash like the way Easter is now being promoted the way Christmas is. Easter cards, crackers, decorations, food, etc.

We have a traditional celebration at this time of year which is linked to our great history. Guy Fawkes night.

Penny for the guy, anyone?

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

There's one that goes back even further and is the origin of trick or treat - mischief night anyone?

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

Got a big box of laxative chocs for the little fuckers that come bangin' on our front door

I love putting on my mask and sheet and going round to other people's houses. A great alibi for my serial stalking habits

Sheffield

"Got a big box of laxative chocs for the little fuckers that come bangin' on our front door"

You should have been a northern kid - mischief night is when you just run round doing all the tricks without the poncy knocking on doors (unless.you run off) and asking for sweets.

We used to go out armed with lipstick for graffiti, golden syrup or treacle for knobs and handles, fishing line for door knocking from a distance, toilet paper for covering stuff and pocket full of tools to assist in the removal of gates

"There's one that goes back even further and is the origin of trick or treat - mischief night anyone? "

It fell out of favour for hundreds of years, and it certainly wasn't like the current trick or treating which is an American construct. Regardless of the origin generations have never celebrated it in this country. We never had it as kids, nor did my daughter. It is a new phenomenon which has crossed the pond via media - films and tv.

It is not a British tradition. If people wish their children to enjoy it, fine. But I object to having it imposed on me. I have to go out and buy treats for children I do not know or they will trick me - which, in my neighbourhood, involves having doors egged, cars scratched and unpleasant things posted through the letterbox. No thanks.

Sheffield

Mischief night was routinely celebrated when and where I was a kid. We all looked forward to micky night and all the adults let us take over the village.

It was understood that nothing was to be done which caused damage or needed more than warm soapy water to remove.

But the kids owned the night and it was fantastic

"Mischief night was routinely celebrated when and where I was a kid. We all looked forward to micky night and all the adults let us take over the village.

It was understood that nothing was to be done which caused damage or needed more than warm soapy water to remove.

But the kids owned the night and it was fantastic "

Sounds awesome never done it done south but my miss's did it up north for years

"Mischief night was routinely celebrated when and where I was a kid. We all looked forward to micky night and all the adults let us take over the village.

But the kids owned the night and it was fantastic "

But that was not a nationwide tradition the way it is promoted now. If it were something more like that I would not mind. The extortion with menaces we get now is unacceptable, in my opinion. My mum was disabled and could not open the door. One year she was so terrified by the kids she called me out to deal with it. I went round to every parent explaining the situation. Those that got stroppy I threatened with the police. It didn't happen again.

"Never celebrate it. It's an American thing."

No it isn't. 'Trick or Treat' is an American thing. Halloween ain't

» Add a new message to this topic