FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Gas and Electric Price Hike!

Gas and Electric Price Hike!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As winter is well and truly on it's way for many of us it's a comforting though that those lovely people at British Gas and a number of other power companies have our best interest at heart!! NOT!!

How do you feel about the latest price hikes? Will you be off down the shops to buy a onesie, some thermals, or a duvet to snuggle under whilst you watch tv, will you turn down your thermostat, turn off the lights, use the washing machine less, or will you just grin and bear it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Gas £79 per month

Electric £50 per month

Its a killer even with everything on energy saving lightbulbs etc...

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Older Hot Guy For 20’s-30’s Girls

Thankfully, I'm immune to all these price hikes - I tied-in, to an EDF Blue tariff, a couple of months ago, which is fixed till, April 2014. Can also leave whenever I like, with no exit penalty. I can rest easy for a while.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I refrained from using the underfloor heating downstairs last year, and wore thicker clothing in the evenings.

Not used the air-con much this year as it had not been that hot.

I pay monthly, and have been receiving a nice rebate for the past couple of years every 6 months, so I cannot complain.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Thankfully, I'm immune to all these price hikes - I tied-in, to an EDF Blue tariff, a couple of months ago, which is fixed till, April 2014. Can also leave whenever I like, with no exit penalty. I can rest easy for a while.

"

EDF ?

"Thankfully, I'm immune to all these price hikes - I tied-in, to an EDF Blue tariff, a couple of months ago, which is fixed till, April 2014. Can also leave whenever I like, with no exit penalty. I can rest easy for a while.

"

I'm on an ancient British Gas tariff going back some 6 yrs and still pay my bills quarterly (long story! ) I pay about £90 a qtr for Electric and now thanks to my log burning stove which I had fitted two winters ago £110 a qtr for gas. I get free fuel from a number of sources for my log burner and at the end of this winter it should have paid for it's self (£600+) with the money I have saved on my gas bill

I pay monthly by direct debit so haven't actually had any bills in since I moved in in June. But I haven't had the heating on yet, so I am hoping I get a rebate too.

EDF ?"

Yep, EDF, I'm on a dirt cheap tariff!

"

I did the same as you, I received an email this morning informing me that mine will not be increasing.

I did the same as you, I received an email this morning informing me that mine will not be increasing."

*checks email* and receives same!

I did the same as you, I received an email this morning informing me that mine will not be increasing.

*checks email* and receives same! "

Am noticing it's the guy's who have their head around this fixed price malarky!

Personally I am gonna jet off to warmer climes soon ... YAY for holidays during a cold snap!!!

No drop when prices went down and all hiking them up by double figures its just a big ripoff.

Am noticing it's the guy's who have their head around this fixed price malarky! "

I've Martin Lewis (Money Saving Expert) to thank. Receive his weekly email. If you're not subscribed already, I'd highly recommend.

Saves you money!

Am noticing it's the guy's who have their head around this fixed price malarky! "

We need to save the cash where we can. Treating you women well is an expensive task.

Damned if im gonna be cold for anyone..heating on full..what we spend in the winter we save in the summer. Life as normal lol

[Removed by poster at 27/10/12 13:32:19]

I'm on an ancient British Gas tariff going back some 6 yrs and still pay my bills quarterly (long story! ) I pay about £90 a qtr for Electric and now thanks to my log burning stove which I had fitted two winters ago £110 a qtr for gas. I get free fuel from a number of sources for my log burner and at the end of this winter it should have paid for it's self (£600+) with the money I have saved on my gas bill "

The cheapest way to pay is by monthly direct debit.

Even if you don't change your tariff, you'll save a bit by switching to that payment method.

I'm on an ancient British Gas tariff going back some 6 yrs and still pay my bills quarterly (long story! ) I pay about £90 a qtr for Electric and now thanks to my log burning stove which I had fitted two winters ago £110 a qtr for gas. I get free fuel from a number of sources for my log burner and at the end of this winter it should have paid for it's self (£600+) with the money I have saved on my gas bill

Even if you don't change your tariff, you'll save a bit by switching to that payment method. "

Ah but....to change to direct debit I have to change my tariff! They are smart cookies at British Gas

Its all about profit the end user just doesn't count sadly I wonder how many will endup sitting in the cold this winter due to not being able to afford it.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"Damned if im gonna be cold for anyone..heating on full..what we spend in the winter we save in the summer. Life as normal lol "

Thats how I do it. I class being warm as a necessity during winter, and just eat less.

"Personally I am gonna jet off to warmer climes soon ... YAY for holidays during a cold snap!!! "

Likewise. Off, in The New Year

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"Ah but....to change to direct debit I have to change my tariff! They are smart cookies at British Gas "

I seriously recommend you check out some price comparison sites. You might think you have a good deal but British Gas is one of the most expensive out there and you may find you will be paying less on a monthly direct debit with another company than you are now.

I racked up a £200 credit with BG and they wouldn't give me it back. So I moved to nPower, who are still chiselling bastards but don't take the piss quite as much as BG did. And I get a rebate for doing Dual Fuel and DD with them. Its worth a look.

Even if you don't change your tariff, you'll save a bit by switching to that payment method.

Ah but....to change to direct debit I have to change my tariff! They are smart cookies at British Gas "

You'd probably still be better off switching, even now. I'd do a price comparison and see what comes up...

By *mm_n_ZedCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

I feel sorry for those on low incomes who may have to make uncomfortable choices when it gets really cold. It saddens me to think of old people swathed in blankets trying to keep warm just so the big-wigs of the energy companies can have their new BMWs and multiple foreign holidays.

I'm making my daughter and her fiancé novelty onesies for Christmas to try and help them combat the cold - she was made redundant several months ago and is struggling to find another job. It's going to be a tough Winter for them

Ah but....to change to direct debit I have to change my tariff! They are smart cookies at British Gas

You'd probably still be better off switching, even now. I'd do a price comparison and see what comes up... "

Had all the quotes and they always come out at more than I'm paying quarterly which is why I'm happy with my lot. Even with the "save £5 if you pay by DD" they still want more and yes I know I'll get a rebate against fuel used, but I'm happy paying each qtr which coincides with monies I receive.

You'd probably still be better off switching, even now. I'd do a price comparison and see what comes up...

Had all the quotes and they always come out at more than I'm paying quarterly which is why I'm happy with my lot. Even with the "save £5 if you pay by DD" they still want more and yes I know I'll get a rebate against fuel used, but I'm happy paying each qtr which coincides with monies I receive. "

Fair enough. As long as you're happy, that's what counts.

» Add a new message to this topic