FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > what to wear to my sons wedding ?

what to wear to my sons wedding ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

One for the ladies really ? My son is getting Maried in six weeks just a small family affair for around 30 people (hes having his main wedding celebration abroad)I was on the phone to him last week and said Ive got my wedding outfit .....then the conversation went like this .........

HIM

i hope its apropriate ???

ME

well yes its a lovely Red suit

HIM

RED ?????? you are wearing RED to my wedding ???

ME

Well yes I bought a lovely red suit

HIM

Is it OK to wear RED to a wedding ?

Well ladies is it Ok to wear Red to a wedding ?????...im a bit worried now that he thinks its Inappropriate ? or should I just be loud and proud and wear it ???

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

End of the day it SHOULDN'T matter ......

Red tho .... really ?

There's red and red ......is it really red like ... REALLY red ?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Depends on the red,is a subtle shade or does it scream RED!!! the last thing you would want would be to detract from the happy couple in the photos

By *aris23Woman  over a year ago

France

Firstly congratulations - my son got married recently too. The brides mother was intending to wear a red outfit but was told by her mother that because it is a colour associated with 'harlots' it wasn't suitable for a wedding...lol. She did change to blue so as not to offend anyone. But at the end of the day it's up to you and I bet you'll look smashing whatever you choose...I wore green & cream.

King's Crustacean

apparently .... according to tinternet ...

Red means you slept with the Groom ..... ewwwwwwwwwww.......

its red ... really red im afraid but its gorgeous and spanish designed ( my daughter in law is spanish) so it seemed just right ,but now im not so sure ?

"apparently .... according to tinternet ...

Red means you slept with the Groom ..... ewwwwwwwwwww....... "

well i checked debretts and it said no white ivory or plain black !!!! didnt mention RED

Hi, it is a winter wedding so can't see the problem with red!!

King's Crustacean

Does Debretts know more than the tinternet ?

Tinternet also says don't wear green!

By *heekyladyCouple  over a year ago

manchester

My mum wore red to my wedding and looked fabulous. Yes it was red red but it was a beautiful suit very demure and it was a Christmas wedding.

Wear what you are comfy in but always bear in mind if the style is suitable for the wedding more than the colour and enjoy the day.

King's Crustacean

Hmmmmmmm Kate Middleton did it in 2010 and 2011 ...

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I love red and wear it whenever possible. And it is totally ok to wear red at a wedding - lets face it, you bought the outfit because you like it and feel comfortable in it. So wear it with joy

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I think red suit, red hat, shoes and bag might be a bit OTT and post boxish....

but with coordinating colours, it seems ok to me.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

have a lovely day x

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

as someone else said it shouldn't matter but I remember my friends son recently married and the mother of the bride wore a cartwheel hat and dramatic outfit and people were quite scathing about her trying to outshine the bride etc.

I think it's difficult because you want to look your best and don't want to dress in a way that isn't you. I'd say that if you are happy with your outfit and your son and his bride are too then stuff everyone else but if they express reservations have a rethink and wear that gorgeous red outfit another time.

Just a thought but is there some way you could make it less red, by teaming the skirt with another jacket or adding a lighter coloured blouse...something like that?

whatever happens I hope its a great day for all of you

Forum Mod

East Sussex

mind you what do I know I wanted to buy a black suit for my wedding

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

Why not ask your daughter in law to be?

If you bought it because you thought it looks nice then wear it xx

The only colour i wouldn't wear is white as people get confused so called who's the bride

A bit funny how your son's saying somthing to you ... just wondering if he's had a nudge from his wife to-be?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Why not ask your daughter in law to be?"

good idea

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

A bit funny how your son's saying somthing to you ... just wondering if he's had a nudge from his wife to-be?"

now that's a possibility too! It's a minefield this wedding business isn't it

Check out the photos of some of the grandest weddings, and one will find ladies wearing red!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

In a way though this isn't about what other people have worn at weddings its more about whats right for this one. I still say be guided by the bride and groom

When my cousin got married all her bridesmaids wore red, a lot of the guests wore red and it looked lovely in the pictures. It was a winter wedding and the bride had chosen that as the theme colour.

Well I wore a very vivid coloured 50s dress which had reds, purples, yellows, pinks etc and I wore a pink ballroom dance petticoat underneath and very high heeled print shoes and a big hat to my best friends wedding.

She wanted me to go as I would want to, she knows I have a quirky dress sense as we've been friends for many years and so for me to dress fairly ordinary just wouldn't be me. She didn't want that so she told me to go with my own ideas. We did have a great time choosing my outfit together though.

When it comes to my sons wedding no doubt I shall be the same. My boys are so used to me dressing the way in a fairly coloiurful way so it wouldn't feel unusual to them. Weddings are about celebration and whilst its appropriate to look smart, I feel people should adhere to their individual style rather than looking out of place in something just because its deemed appropriate

We renewed our vows last year, my dress was cream and red and my daughters/ granddaughters wore red, looked stunning. I wore green for my daughters wedding, so ive broken all the rules ooppps

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Will it clash with the colour scheme of the wedding..bridesmaids brides mother wedding ties flowers ?? did the bride not discuss colours with you when planning ??

By *uddlesloves!Woman  over a year ago

Plymouth

Many, many years ago putting Red and White at a Wedding wasn't heard of as it was looked at being symbols of Blood and Tears. My great aunt of 86 will still not except flowers with these two colours together!!. The meaning went out of the window years' ago. I was a bridesmaid 30yrs ago and flowers were Red and White. Team the suit with black shoes and bag, with either a hat and buy a red flower to put on the brim or fascinator with the two colours. Enjoy the celebrations.

"Will it clash with the colour scheme of the wedding..bridesmaids brides mother wedding ties flowers ?? did the bride not discuss colours with you when planning ?? "

they live in london are organising the wedding themselve snd havnt really wanted any involvement from me ,but i will check what colour she is wearing? my son has said she isnt going to be wearing white for the london wedding ...

I googled 'Mother of the bride' and 'Mother of the groom' pics, and there are plenty of lovely red outfits

xx

» Add a new message to this topic