FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Just do it!

Just do it!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he_original_polo OP   Woman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

We are all capable of putting things off, sometimes indefinitely. We make excuses to ourselves more than others as to why we can’t do something right now. The saddest thing of all is they are things that will likely make us feel happy.

I’ll wait until New Year to start that or stop that.

I love that top but it’s too good for just wearing down to the shop.

I’ll save those shoes for a special occasion.

I’ll look for a change of career soon.

I’ll do that course one day.

I’d love to learn to do that… may be one day.

What if that day in the distance doesn’t come?

Events like Hurricane Sandy and all the other shit going on in the world should make us think and live our life to the full every day in one way or another.

It doesn’t need to be big things, the small things matter just as much.

I was wondering what to have for lunch and part of me started thinking “I can’t do a rack of lamb full roast for a Tuesday lunch”… but another part of me said “why not?” Why do I need to save it if I want it now and can have it now? Why does lunch need to be light and a bigger meal in the evening?

Sometimes it’s like we are telling ourselves we don’t deserve a feel good moment each and every time we put off the things which can give us a happy feeling.

A friend of mine bought a new suit in the sales one year, it was a really nice suit and she loved it. “I’m saving it for something special” she said “too good for everyday wear at work” she said. By the time she got around to thinking the day was special enough to wear it… it didn’t fit. She lost the chance to enjoy the happiness of wearing it.

Big or small……. you do yourself an injustice by, in so many words, saying you don’t deserve it right now.

Now what veggies shall I have with this rack of lamb?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I had clothes that i used to save for a special occasion.. now i wear them when i get a chance...if i fancy something i have it...life is for living

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Hell yes, vital advice this. We could all be dead any minute. So get on it!!

By *amnationsedgeMan  over a year ago

Ashborne

I agree that you should grab chances for happiness but it isn't always down to what you can do. For example I joined this site wanting to add to my otherwise stagnating life but obviously just joining isn't going to result in anything without someone else. Also carrot goes well with lamb.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

im so guilty of doing this. things of late have made me look at my self

"I agree that you should grab chances for happiness but it isn't always down to what you can do. For example I joined this site wanting to add to my otherwise stagnating life but obviously just joining isn't going to result in anything without someone else. Also carrot goes well with lamb."

You joined a site, that is only one step towards what you want not the end of the journey.

Many years ago my mum bought a beautiful outfit she fell in love with in a wee boutique when we were on holiday in the july.

She went to a few functions (a 40th birthday party, a christening and umpteen christmas do's) but insisted she was keeping the outfit for my big cousins wedding the following Spring. My sister and I urged her to wear it but she was adamant.

By the time spring and the wedding came round she was in hospital near the end of her life with cancer.

She didn't make it to the wedding and a couple of months later after she died I was out with my Aunt and she met a friend in the street I wandered over to look in a charity shop window and their was my mums dress, jacket, shoes and bag on a mannequin. I stood there with tears streaming down my face. I was 11 years old and I learnt a valuable lesson.

I don't keep things for good! I wear my expensive perfume every day, I never save money for a rainy day and if I want to have leftover chinese for my breakfast - then i do!

So you go ahead and have your lamb for lunch - savour every bite and I'd go for honey roast parsnips, butternut squash and sweet potato

L xxxx

I'm denying myself things today for a better, healthier tomorrow/next week/next year.

If those days don't come, they don't, but I owe it to myself to think about them instead of hedonistically blundering on today with no regard for problems I may have tomorrow as a result.

That said, I bought shoes I don't need this morning and fully intend to wear them.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

ooh thats a bit spooky..

walking the dogs with the oh this morning and she suggested rack of lamb for dinner..

i said 'on a tuesday?'

good post..

By *amnationsedgeMan  over a year ago

Ashborne

"I agree that you should grab chances for happiness but it isn't always down to what you can do. For example I joined this site wanting to add to my otherwise stagnating life but obviously just joining isn't going to result in anything without someone else. Also carrot goes well with lamb.

You joined a site, that is only one step towards what you want not the end of the journey."

Indeed, but if it were a journey I could make alone joining the site wouldn't be necessary at all. I'm still making the effort and staying hopeful until the next step is made possible but we all need others to proceed in life.

Now what I will say is the sentiment is right but sometimes its nice to Just have something for special That lifts your spirits and makes you feel good in it, now if you wore that thing everyday it would lose its feeling of been special and wouldn't have the same effect, too much of a good thing and all that, I love roast beef dinner but wouldn't eat it every night because it wouldn't be as special, but on a Sunday to Just have a nice big dinner makes me feel special it wouldn't do if I'd already had one on Tuesday

I am a great believer in you only life once so "just do it".

Society conditions us like you have said, roast dinners for Sunday, smaller meals at lunch time etc...

I don't conform to that and would suggest cauliflower cheese, carrots and a lovely mint gravy for your lamb

I never keep any clothing/shoes/make up etc for best or an occasion.

The only things I tend to put off, are not things that will bring me happiness, more like great annoyance but the end result may end in satisfaction.

For example being overcharged by a utility company, I have a call to make, but the cons are outweighing the satisfaction I would achieve after been made to listen to infuriating music, press no 4, 5, 3, 1, 9 speak to someone and oh no wrong department...or oh yes we see you have called 5 times in the last month, I am sorry blah blah blah

I’m guilty as charged….

There are many unfinished instances in my life which haven’t come to fruition purely because the moment didn’t or doesn’t feel right ….. I guess sometimes it just takes the wisdom of others to point out the futility of my irrational practice for putting certain things off ………. So today I’m gonna do stuff that I’ve been hold back on while waiting for the “so-called” optimum moment !!!….

Thank-you for the kick-up the arse Polo…

"I agree that you should grab chances for happiness but it isn't always down to what you can do. For example I joined this site wanting to add to my otherwise stagnating life but obviously just joining isn't going to result in anything without someone else. Also carrot goes well with lamb.

You joined a site, that is only one step towards what you want not the end of the journey.

Indeed, but if it were a journey I could make alone joining the site wouldn't be necessary at all. I'm still making the effort and staying hopeful until the next step is made possible but we all need others to proceed in life."

I look at it that you have two choices:

1 - think about what else you can do to make it happen....... and there are plenty of options there.... and do it.

2 - sit back and think, well I'm doing something the rest is down to everyone else.

I can drive, have a track license and own a helmet... I am not expecting Red Bull or McLaren to turn up anytime soon.

It's your journey... you need to do the walking to get there. There is only one person who loses out if you don't.

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

"

We are all capable of putting things off, sometimes indefinitely. We make excuses to ourselves more than others as to why we can’t do something right now. The saddest thing of all is they are things that will likely make us feel happy.

I’ll wait until New Year to start that or stop that.

I love that top but it’s too good for just wearing down to the shop.

I’ll save those shoes for a special occasion.

I’ll look for a change of career soon.

I’ll do that course one day.

I’d love to learn to do that… may be one day.

What if that day in the distance doesn’t come?

Events like Hurricane Sandy and all the other shit going on in the world should make us think and live our life to the full every day in one way or another.

It doesn’t need to be big things, the small things matter just as much.

I was wondering what to have for lunch and part of me started thinking “I can’t do a rack of lamb full roast for a Tuesday lunch”… but another part of me said “why not?” Why do I need to save it if I want it now and can have it now? Why does lunch need to be light and a bigger meal in the evening?

Sometimes it’s like we are telling ourselves we don’t deserve a feel good moment each and every time we put off the things which can give us a happy feeling.

A friend of mine bought a new suit in the sales one year, it was a really nice suit and she loved it. “I’m saving it for something special” she said “too good for everyday wear at work” she said. By the time she got around to thinking the day was special enough to wear it… it didn’t fit. She lost the chance to enjoy the happiness of wearing it.

Big or small……. you do yourself an injustice by, in so many words, saying you don’t deserve it right now.

Now what veggies shall I have with this rack of lamb?

"

Follow your own philosophy!..just have one vegetable with your rack of lamb..maybe some purple sprouting broccoli with mint butter..have a light starter or fruit/cheese course..why do we have to a load of veg with a meat?

I found what goes best with rack of lamb for lunch on a Tuesday...... the rest of the rack of lamb

Now I think a sprawl on the sofa and a good film are in order.

» Add a new message to this topic