Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rishunicorn OP   Man  over a year ago

Cookstown

What’s peoples views on karma?

Does it exist

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No, not for me.

But……A bunch of seemingly connected, but totally random occurrences, that lead us to a point in time……yes.

By *rishunicorn OP   Man  over a year ago

Cookstown

"No, not for me.

But……A bunch of seemingly connected, but totally random occurrences, that lead us to a point in time……yes. "

Lol i am having a lot of those @ minn

I don’t believe in karma or nietzchean eternal recurrence but I do believe things happen that make me think back on previous things I’ve done and reassess them. Turns out I’ve been a terrible person at times.

I do. And maybe one day I will have that confirmed.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Karma sharma

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

To a point if you're a bitch to everyone when life is good, who are you going to turn to when life is bad? Believe in consequences to ones actions not necessarily in karma itself

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

A lot of people think karma is a universal retribution system that only targets those who are nasty to *them* and they actively invoke it They never stop to consider that the act of wishing ill on another person might attract karma to them.

My opinion is that karma *if it exists* is the damage you do to your 'self' when you do bad stuff and think bad things.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Also relying on a mystical, external force to right wrongs means you don't have to do it yourself.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Also relying on a mystical, external force to right wrongs means you don't have to do it yourself."

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

When one has been badly treated most of one's life, can't we hope Karma will one day bring us good?

Yes I believe in karma and I believe that those who have mistreated people in this life will be mistreated in the next; I believe my abuser may not suffer in this life, but she’ll go through hell in the next. It makes me think about my actions and my words towards people in my life; it’s definitely made me kinder, a better listener, and more understanding. Alas; I’ve had my fair share of karma for things that have happened in the past.

One of the hardest questions that religion has to answer is "If there is a God who is benevolent, why do good things happen to bad people or bad things happen to good people?"

Abrahamic religions answer it by saying that it's inevitable where there is free will and these people will face the consequences after death when they are being sent to heaven/hell.

Hinduism and other Indian religions believe in reincarnation. Their explanation for the above question is that the good person who had a tough life is paying for his sins from past life and as he is good in this life, he will get a much better life in the next. This is what they call Karma. Karma doesn't have to wait till the next life to happen. It can happen in this life too.

The above definition is probably way too simplistic and there are many more nuances. But that's the high level idea. I personally find it hard to believe. But respect people who believe it. I have some religious friends in my hometown. It's always a pleasure to debate with them about these things.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

The problem with Karma is that it means people deserve the bad stuff that happens to them.

It also means that either the people of several middle Eastern nations and much of Africa - not to mention parts of Central and Southern America are either bad people (and have been for many generations or bad people are statistically more likely to be reincarnated as POC.

I can't say that either of these ideas has any attractive qualities so given the utter lack of evidence I'm out.

* I do like what Frida said that our actions can have consequences that hurt us but this is by no means universal nor applied in any just or fair way.

Mr

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

Kinda. I think when you do something good it gets passed down some of the time so eventually you will be on the receiving end.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I don't believe in it as a mysterious force but I do believe that if you put out positivity or negativity into the world you tend to get the same back.

By *parkle1974Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

Yes because I dish it out myself x

No, not at all. If, and it's a big if, there are several states of existence that my consciousness has to experience I find it difficult to believe that a higher power would be interested enough to pay attention to my exploits and form a judgement in order to dole out punishment or reward.

For the informal meaning of the word, if you're a decent person people are more likely to treat you well. If you're a dick you're more likely to be rejected. That's just common sense.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

It might be worth considering what all the victims of the recent earthquakes in Afghanistan did in a past life to deserve that and how they happened to conveniently all be concentrated in a relatively small area.

By *ilverjagMan  over a year ago

swansea

In the good book it says in Deuteronomy, "Vengeance is mine sayeth The LORD," but sometimes The LORD needs a helping hand. So I have been known to save him a job now and again, as he's probably busy dealing with other more pressing matters.

No if it did i would have won my prize

By *ollydoesWoman  over a year ago

Shangri-La

"When one has been badly treated most of one's life, can't we hope Karma will one day bring us good?"

Its the onloy thing keeps me going sometimes..that the good stuff is yet to come!

By *mp411Man  over a year ago

chester

Karma relates to luck and well to coin a phrase... If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

"It might be worth considering what all the victims of the recent earthquakes in Afghanistan did in a past life to deserve that and how they happened to conveniently all be concentrated in a relatively small area. "

Yep, as I noted above, I'm pretty sure, if it exists, karma is an raving racist. It seems to massively favour a coloured skin when reincarnating bad people. Seems to have a few favourite areas too that it comes back to year after year. For example, when Belgium invaded the Congo it became one of karma's favorite places to re-birth bad people and has remained close to the top of its list ever since. It occasionally uses other countries in the vicinity too, of note are Rwanda, Sierra Leone and Angola. Europe used to be popular but since the second world war has largely been saved for nice people to be born in.

Mr

By *issmorganWoman  over a year ago

Calderdale innit

Nope I don't think it does .

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think it's very unlikely

Yes, but not in a western sense.

I do believe in karma, yes. But not in the sense that some people do. It's not a magical revenge system.

It's science.

Energy is not destroyed. It becomes something else. So the energy that makes you you will become the energy in something or someone else when your current flesh vessel dies. It'll dissipate but it'll still be there.

So, if you make the world a better place, the energy that was once a bit of you will have a better world to stay in. But if you don't, then the world becomes more negative.

That's what karma means to me.

I’d like to believe in karma but in reality I should have dealt with them myself and stopped things instantly

But then I might have been locked away

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

"I do believe in karma, yes. But not in the sense that some people do. It's not a magical revenge system.

It's science.

Energy is not destroyed. It becomes something else. So the energy that makes you you will become the energy in something or someone else when your current flesh vessel dies. It'll dissipate but it'll still be there.

So, if you make the world a better place, the energy that was once a bit of you will have a better world to stay in. But if you don't, then the world becomes more negative.

"

That's interesting, I have never thought about it that way.

The energy when we die, yes .. but about leaving a little bit of positive energy behind....I like that idea.

So life after death and kama are linked, for you?

I don't believe in life after death and I don't believe in kama.

I do believe in being a positive force to friends and strangers alike where ever possible.

"I do believe in karma, yes. But not in the sense that some people do. It's not a magical revenge system.

It's science.

The energy when we die, yes .. but about leaving a little bit of positive energy behind....I like that idea.

I do believe in being a positive force to friends and strangers alike where ever possible.

"

Argree with this but when someone makes your life hell for five years and nobody willing to do something about it

I had a choice of burying him or moving

It's science.

"

According to the law of the conservation of energy, I'm not going anywhere. I just won't be all in the same place!

I don't believe in a religious afterlife. I think if there's a heaven, we're there. Planet earth is incredible. It's beautiful! That's why I try to do my bit to protect it and leave it a better place.

B38

It's science.

Argree with this but when someone makes your life hell for five years and nobody willing to do something about it

I had a choice of burying him or moving "

I hope that you are in a much better place now...free if that kind of stress/pressure x

B38

It's science.

According to the law of the conservation of energy, I'm not going anywhere. I just won't be all in the same place!

I don't believe in a religious afterlife. I think if there's a heaven, we're there. Planet earth is incredible. It's beautiful! That's why I try to do my bit to protect it and leave it a better place. "

I think that's a great way to think about it

"

I had a choice of burying him or moving "

I hope life is better for you now.

"

I had a choice of burying him or moving

I hope life is better for you now. "

Yes I moved and so much better now

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

Not really, but sometimes there are stunning coincidences in life that defy the odds.

I believe in karma... good and bad things will come back

Karma doesn't exist

I didn't believe it until I was in the car teasing my friend over his fear of wasps then when he nipped into a shop a wasp flew into the car and sat on the door handle so I couldn't even get out

» Add a new message to this topic