FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > To catch a predator

To catch a predator

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Has anyone seen this show?

Just wondered what people made of it?

For anyone who has'nt seen it its basically a programm about catching phedofiles, what happens is a internet chat room has been set up to attract them, the phedofiles get talking to a chosen 'child' that isnt really a child its people that are working with the police to catch the men grooming the kids, meets are set up and when the guy goes to meet the child he is meet by a tv crew and the police, everything is logged and saved, all the conversations in the chat room etc so when it goes to court it can be proven that this person really was expecting to meet a child for sex, they do ask very leading questions to make it clear what is expected so the guy cant say it wasnt for sex etc, on one show a guy who thought he was talking to a 12 year old girl said to her when she explained it was her first time....i'll show you what to do its like licking a lolly pop

Anyway the shows started again and it got me and my friends into a bit of a heated discussion, now this kind of thing would never stand up in a English court as it is classed as entrapment, which is what his argument was, these guys are set up and he found it unfair, but in my eyes set up or not nobody made these guys go into child chat rooms, no one made these guys talk sexually to kids, no one made these guys arrange meets or have sex with them, to me its just lucky it was a set up because guys like this really do talk to real children and has it not been a tv crew and police that turned up god knows what they would have done, why does someone have to get hurt before the law steps in, if we can catch these people before they strike and harm a child how can that be a bad thing?

Just wondered what other peoples views was on this kind of 'set up'

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

use what ever means..then take them away and shoot them...case closed.

Feckin Costa Dels get everywhere

By *riendlyfunfemWoman  over a year ago

A world of my own

"use what ever means..then take them away and shoot them...case closed."

Agree!

[Removed by poster at 10/11/09 22:29:07]

There was a thread a while back.. similar.. To Catch a Pedophile

Personally anything at all used to catch and punish the scum bags is good and monet WELL spent.. I'd even chip in more to catch the evil perverted dirty scum pond bottom feeding gits..

"use what ever means..then take them away and shoot them...case closed."

well yeah thats my thought to sum it up in one, but to be honest i was suprised at the amount of people i have spoken to who actually think this kind of 'setting a trap' approch is wrong

Forum Mod

I don't think its the wrong approach at all

If they had met the "child" they thought they were meeting,what may have happened does'nt bear thinking about

"I don't think its the wrong approach at all

If they had met the "child" they thought they were meeting,what may have happened does'nt bear thinking about

"

Better the police do it than vigilantes!!

Better the police do it than vigilantes!! "

now im glad you bough that up because the one thing i do think is wrong about all this is the fact it is put on telly, ok so noone gives a feck about the guy having his face splashed on telly showing him for who he is but most of these guys are married with kids, imagine what their children must go thro when their mates at school saw their dad on telly arrested for being a phedophile i think this kind of set up is good and more countries should use it but not make a show out of it

just my opinion

Forum Mod

Better the police do it than vigilantes!!

now im glad you bough that up because the one thing i do think is wrong about all this is the fact it is put on telly, ok so noone gives a feck about the guy having his face splashed on telly showing him for who he is but most of these guys are married with kids, imagine what their children must go thro when their mates at school saw their dad on telly arrested for being a phedophile i think this kind of set up is good and more countries should use it but not make a show out of it

just my opinion"

I have to agree with the showing of faces,when it was on a couple of months ago I was surprised all the mens faces were shown,I thought you had to give permission for stuff like that

When you watch some police programmes most faces are blurred out

Provided the basics of Innocent till proven are adhered to.. Stuff em!

Nail em to a plank... BUT I do feel for the families, their world is torn in two but the pedo is to blame, lets not lose sight eh...

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)  over a year ago

birmingham

"the pedo is to blame, lets not lose sight eh..."

There's enough publicity in the public domain regarding paedophilia and how the authorities are tackling it, if the paedophile chooses to be ignorant of it so be it.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

Dont send a film crew, send army snipers, best form of training is a live target.

"Has anyone seen this show?

For anyone who has'nt seen it its basically a programm about catching phedofiles, what happens is a internet chat room has been set up to attract them, the phedofiles get talking to a chosen 'child' that isnt really a child its people that are working with the police to catch the men grooming the kids, meets are set up and when the guy goes to meet the child he is meet by a tv crew and the police, everything is logged and saved, all the conversations in the chat room etc so when it goes to court it can be proven that this person really was expecting to meet a child for sex, they do ask very leading questions to make it clear what is expected so the guy cant say it wasnt for sex etc, on one show a guy who thought he was talking to a 12 year old girl said to her when she explained it was her first time....i'll show you what to do its like licking a lolly pop

Anyway the shows started again and it got me and my friends into a bit of a heated discussion, now this kind of thing would never stand up in a English court as it is classed as entrapment, which is what his argument was, these guys are set up and he found it unfair, but in my eyes set up or not nobody made these guys go into child chat rooms, no one made these guys talk sexually to kids, no one made these guys arrange meets or have sex with them, to me its just lucky it was a set up because guys like this really do talk to real children and has it not been a tv crew and police that turned up god knows what they would have done, why does someone have to get hurt before the law steps in, if we can catch these people before they strike and harm a child how can that be a bad thing?

Just wondered what other peoples views was on this kind of 'set up'"

I believe entrapment to be wrong. However I am not sure that this IS entrapment. It's a grey area but I think entrapment is when you are encouraged to do wrong by an agent of the law or whatever. Great care has to be taken to NOT lead the person on so that it is clear that intention was uppermost in their mind. I'm all for using this method of unearthing pedophiles. Still .... amazes me that no one has mentioned the fact that so many underage children seem to want to meet 'older' sexually explicit males. In order to gather evidence there has to have been a willing 'child'.( adult /actor ) I worry about what I see youngsters wearing, what i hear them saying and what I see them doing. What is society as a whole doing to keep our children as children ? Nothing! Everything revolves around capitalism.

"

I believe entrapment to be wrong. However I am not sure that this IS entrapment. It's a grey area but I think entrapment is when you are encouraged to do wrong by an agent of the law or whatever. Great care has to be taken to NOT lead the person on so that it is clear that intention was uppermost in their mind. I'm all for using this method of unearthing pedophiles. Still .... amazes me that no one has mentioned the fact that so many underage children seem to want to meet 'older' sexually explicit males. In order to gather evidence there has to have been a willing 'child'.( adult /actor ) I worry about what I see youngsters wearing, what i hear them saying and what I see them doing. What is society as a whole doing to keep our children as children ? Nothing! Everything revolves around capitalism."

if we are going to be honest there are so many things that need to be looked into over this subject, yeah your right why do some children want to meet men old enough to be their dads for sex? but then this is only a very small side of a bigger picture, not all children think they are meeting an adult, some children who may have a bad home life may turn to a older person as a father figure to get the love they are not getting at home and have the need abused by these.....sorry but evil b*****d..... there so many different scenarios these men use to get children i suppose using the one where they are offering a 'willing child' is just the quickest way to catch as many as they can in a short time

children do grow up to fast now but we are the adults and we should know better, no matter how old a child thinks they are or what they wear theres no excuse for them being abused in this way

I recently had an argument with a teacher at my children’s school all because social networking sites are now seen as part of my children’s education?!?!?!

I understand that they should be taught about internet security and I have been doing this for years starting when they were very young and I was sitting them on my knee to play games on the cbeebies and Disney websites.

The reason for the argument was I don’t see how a Facebook for kids type website can enhance my daughters education since no one seems to have told the children that they shouldn’t just send out random friends invites!!

I sat watching my daughter in the website and in 10 minutes she had amassed 42 friends invites from children she did not know.

Nor is there for us parents (who do take our kids security and safety seriously) a page telling us how they vet the supposed teachers - I say supposed teachers since anyone with a credit or debit card claiming to home school their child can access the site and talk to or email the children.

Supposedly there are mediators on the site at all times but lets be honest we all know that sometimes there are not any online no matter what website you are using - again something I noticed when my daughter was last on that site.

HOWEVER as a parent it is MY duty to protect my children and I would never allow my kids at the ages they are to go online without either me or hubby watching what they are doing. The reason for this is because it is very easy to start grooming a child as young as my youngest daughter is (6).

Until they start a full time job I will pick their clothes so they don’t wear anything which is not age appropriate - like today I was in a shop and spotted a satin strapless dress which looked lovely until I realised I was in the under 12 section!!! Now both my daughters are under 12 so under no circumstances would I buy it but some children will harass parents until they get their own way, and some parents will do anything and give their kids anything for a quite and easy life.

WELL IN MY OPINION BEING A PARENT IS NOT EASY!!!

And I can promise that if either of my children were groomed I would do what an American woman did.

She noticed her 12 year old was being groomed and took the computer away from her daughter and continued messaging the guy (who had admitted he was over the age of consent by a fair bit) so he asked to meet the “daughter” the mother agreed he told the “daughter” to pack an overnight bag and he would collect her from a local hotel.

When the mother phoned the hotel on the day of the supposed meet she was told he had booked a room for 2 nights.

She called the police and she was taken to the hotel to meet the guy (as she had seen a photo of him and therefore could identify him) and he was promptly arrested charged and subsequently spent time in prison for being a sexual predator.

Shona

x x x

"if we are going to be honest there are so many things that need to be looked into over this subject, yeah your right why do some children want to meet men old enough to be their dads for sex? but then this is only a very small side of a bigger picture, not all children think they are meeting an adult, some children who may have a bad home life may turn to a older person as a father figure to get the love they are not getting at home and have the need abused by these.....sorry but evil b*****d..... there so many different scenarios these men use to get children i suppose using the one where they are offering a 'willing child' is just the quickest way to catch as many as they can in a short time

children do grow up to fast now but we are the adults and we should know better, no matter how old a child thinks they are or what they wear theres no excuse for them being abused in this way"

When I was 16 I lived with my then boyfriend who was 32.

At the time I saw nothing wrong with it but looking back I realise I was sticking both middle fingers up to my parents and saying a huge F you, because they were soooooooooo against it.

It wasnt until I became a parent myself I saw why my mother was dead set against it.

And again being honest I have told my daughter no literally millions of times so far and she will still try to do what I said no to just to see if she can get her own way (typical kid) but as her mother it is my duty to protect her (as my mother tried to do for me) and until she fully understands the implications of her actions I will continue to supervise her at all times online.

Shona

x x x

"I recently had an argument with a teacher at my children’s school all because social networking sites are now seen as part of my children’s education?!?!?!

I understand that they should be taught about internet security and I have been doing this for years starting when they were very young and I was sitting them on my knee to play games on the cbeebies and Disney websites.

The reason for the argument was I don’t see how a Facebook for kids type website can enhance my daughters education since no one seems to have told the children that they shouldn’t just send out random friends invites!!

I sat watching my daughter in the website and in 10 minutes she had amassed 42 friends invites from children she did not know.

Nor is there for us parents (who do take our kids security and safety seriously) a page telling us how they vet the supposed teachers - I say supposed teachers since anyone with a credit or debit card claiming to home school their child can access the site and talk to or email the children.

Supposedly there are mediators on the site at all times but lets be honest we all know that sometimes there are not any online no matter what website you are using - again something I noticed when my daughter was last on that site.

HOWEVER as a parent it is MY duty to protect my children and I would never allow my kids at the ages they are to go online without either me or hubby watching what they are doing. The reason for this is because it is very easy to start grooming a child as young as my youngest daughter is (6).

Until they start a full time job I will pick their clothes so they don’t wear anything which is not age appropriate - like today I was in a shop and spotted a satin strapless dress which looked lovely until I realised I was in the under 12 section!!! Now both my daughters are under 12 so under no circumstances would I buy it but some children will harass parents until they get their own way, and some parents will do anything and give their kids anything for a quite and easy life.

WELL IN MY OPINION BEING A PARENT IS NOT EASY!!!

And I can promise that if either of my children were groomed I would do what an American woman did.

She noticed her 12 year old was being groomed and took the computer away from her daughter and continued messaging the guy (who had admitted he was over the age of consent by a fair bit) so he asked to meet the “daughter” the mother agreed he told the “daughter” to pack an overnight bag and he would collect her from a local hotel.

When the mother phoned the hotel on the day of the supposed meet she was told he had booked a room for 2 nights.

She called the police and she was taken to the hotel to meet the guy (as she had seen a photo of him and therefore could identify him) and he was promptly arrested charged and subsequently spent time in prison for being a sexual predator.

Shona

x x x "

Have to agree with you here Shona, my son and his friends are on fantasy/game sites which allows them to meet (albeit as character not themselves) and I joined them myself to see.....

1) how easy it is to do so and talk/interact with the children.

2)were there no age restrictions even though asked for date of birth? I gave my real one.

I now 'haunt' him on each site in character to keep a watchful eye out.

He knows my character and I never talk to any except him but how easy it would be to do so.

The internet is an amazing thing were you get get information in seconds about anything and everything. The danger with it is that anyone can use it and they can be anyone they wish to be on the net. How many people on this site alone have complained about guys saying their women or couples when their not? The same goes for paedophilles. They can and do make out that they are children. They will use the same language and terminology that a child uses. So even as a parent it would be very very hard to spot if your child was not talking to another child. There was an advert on the tv a while ago where a child thought she was talking to another child when it was a man pretending to be a child. Scary stuff. Its our duty as parents to do everything we can to protect our child.

Theres a website called

www.ceop.gov.uk

Its a government website that gives information on how to protect your children whilst there online.

I know that naming other websites isnt normaly allowed on here but hope that this one is allowed due to its nature and value to other site members.

Thanks

What strikes me is how similar most of the guys getting caught are. In a word, losers.

Below average intelligence, unattractive, probably pretty unsuccessful with adults.

I think more should be done to understand how they get themselves in this state and therefore, how to stop people going down that path. It's all very well saying shoot them, but at that stage they've already become a threat and may have victims. It seems to me they weren't born like that and it's a largely preventable condition.

To answer your question on "why must someone get hurt for the law to step in" because you can't & shouldn't jail someone for almost committing a crime or thinking they were about to committ one.

I mean its easy to understand, do the crime do the time. No crime no time.

They are doing more episodes? I loved this show! Haha felt such righteous justice watching them fall to the ground!

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

"What strikes me is how similar most of the guys getting caught are. In a word, losers.

Below average intelligence, unattractive, probably pretty unsuccessful with adults.

I think more should be done to understand how they get themselves in this state and therefore, how to stop people going down that path. It's all very well saying shoot them, but at that stage they've already become a threat and may have victims. It seems to me they weren't born like that and it's a largely preventable condition. "

There is an argument that people are attracted to children in much the same way men are attracted to men, women are attracted to women etc. It hasn't won a lot of public support for obvious reasons, but there are still professionals that argue it.

I've never seen the programme, but I can assure you that many child sex offenders are not 'losers' with below average intelligence. They are quite manipulative and often high functioning adults.

Just wondered what other peoples views was on this kind of 'set up'"

I doubt the solicitors, barristers, MP's & Lords will use this method,

There needs to be a better way to catch the upper class who regularly participate

By *uvesmuffinCouple  over a year ago

Barking

Just wondered what other peoples views was on this kind of 'set up'

I doubt the solicitors, barristers, MP's & Lords will use this method,

There needs to be a better way to catch the upper class who regularly participate "

i dont think they have many MP's Lords and Barristers in America

Lord Gimp junior

"What strikes me is how similar most of the guys getting caught are. In a word, losers.

I think more should be done to understand how they get themselves in this state and therefore, how to stop people going down that path. It's all very well saying shoot them, but at that stage they've already become a threat and may have victims. It seems to me they weren't born like that and it's a largely preventable condition.

There is an argument that people are attracted to children in much the same way men are attracted to men, women are attracted to women etc. It hasn't won a lot of public support for obvious reasons, but there are still professionals that argue it.

I've never seen the programme, but I can assure you that many child sex offenders are not 'losers' with below average intelligence. They are quite manipulative and often high functioning adults. "

There is also a significant amount of scientific literature that shows they brain abnormalities that in some cases, can be fixed. I guess it would depend on whether they had always shown this attraction or whether it's something that developed right around the time they became overweight, shunned by adults and on the margins of society.

I can only go on what I've seen in the programme but it certainly isn't the most diverse group of men getting caught.

I do agree they are highly manipulative but they do it in a way that is fairly obvious to an adult. When you see the transcripts of their online chats, the spelling is usually awful too.

"To answer your question on "why must someone get hurt for the law to step in" because you can't & shouldn't jail someone for almost committing a crime or thinking they were about to committ one.

I mean its easy to understand, do the crime do the time. No crime no time."

Except that it is a crime to dicuss sex with a minor, to send porn to a minor and to meet a minor with the intent of having sex. So actually the guys committed multiple crimes without touching a child.

"They are doing more episodes? I loved this show! Haha felt such righteous justice watching them fall to the ground!"

It gets boring pretty quick. They basically have 1 of 3 standard reactions.

- make excuses and promise never to do it again (most common)

- break down crying

- walk out straight away

Few of them show any real remorse and the ones that do sometimes get caught. One got busted twice in 24 hours which shows you have manipulative / messed up they are.

» Add a new message to this topic