whos had it or knows somebody whos had it done x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"whos had it or knows somebody whos had it done x"
i had it done 3 years ago and ive had problems

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I personally know 5 people who had it done. None of them had complications, all of them lost weight. 4 out of the 5 regained most of the weight. I am not sure how representative this is, the people involved are intelligent people who have a good understanding why they are overweight.

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

My sis inlaw had it done 3 yrs ago no problems at all lost 11stones but has been left wit awful sagging skin and now looks much older than her years .

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"My sis inlaw had it done 3 yrs ago no problems at all lost 11stones but has been left wit awful sagging skin and now looks much older than her years ."

yes that is a problem or can be.

and woman do worry about this sort of thing.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

my brother in law had something done, he is a surgeon... he has been poorly the last 4 months since he had it done

wasn't a band but something similar

Depends which type of surgery your talking about. I know someone who has had the band and someone who had the bypass. Friend with the band has had lots of complications but the weight loss was good.

My mum had the bypass and it has been fantastic for her. She was an insulin dependant diabetic before and now no longer has to take any medication for her diabetes. She has just had an operation to have all the excess skin removed and she looks and feel fantastic.

I think a better option if possible is a lifestyle change. Are you considering it?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

i personally wouldnt have one done as i know i havent put the work in to try and lose it naturally.

My mum knows someone who went to belium to get it done and she has had problems i think.

I know a few people. Most had the band, a couple had the bypass. Some had problems, some were ok. All have lost a decent amount of weight. Saggy skin can occur on any diet, seems to depend on genetics.

"I personally know 5 people who had it done. None of them had complications, all of them lost weight. 4 out of the 5 regained most of the weight. I am not sure how representative this is, the people involved are intelligent people who have a good understanding why they are overweight. "
there r alot of thing y ppl put weight on i comfort ate because i was bullied and i had depression after my daugher was born so it continued

"I personally know 5 people who had it done. None of them had complications, all of them lost weight. 4 out of the 5 regained most of the weight. I am not sure how representative this is, the people involved are intelligent people who have a good understanding why they are overweight. there r alot of thing y ppl put weight on i comfort ate because i was bullied and i had depression after my daugher was born so it continued "

I can understand that. There are other ways, less expensive and perhaps less invasive eg hypnotherapy. Also some therapies work well in conjunction with a support group. Some people do very well on Slimming World and on Weight Watchers, again there are support groups to help. If you know why you comfort eat that is the first step in the battle to regain control.

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

You have to drastically change the way you eat after gastric surgery. You have to drastically change the way you eat before surgery. Please consider seriously the consiquences and complications.

I have lost eight stones by drastically changing the way I eat and have maintained it for nearly five years.

Most if the 'healthy eating' advice dished out by the bucket load by governments is absolute b*ll*cks. It's caused an obesity epidemic and will continue to do so.

"

Most if the 'healthy eating' advice dished out by the bucket load by governments is absolute b*ll*cks. It's caused an obesity epidemic and will continue to do so.

"

Well said - it is about protecting certain industries and their advice on most things is at best misleading!

"whos had it or knows somebody whos had it done x i had it done 3 years ago and ive had problems "

My next door neighbours sister had it done and its caused all sorts of problems for her. Its a drastic step and not to be taken lightly.

By *mm_n_ZedCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

If I could I think I would. I think the word 'desperate' would be appropriate in my case.

They operate on you physically but not mentally so the reason for over eating is never addressed:

Your hair falls out from lack of protein In the first 6 months

You have to take calcium and multi vits for life

There is a 30% increase in cross addiction

There is a 40% chance of regaining the weight back over 5 - 10 years

Being slim wont make you happy or have self esteem - only that can come from within

Diet is only one side of the equation. A sedentary existence is also a big factor. Start to increase your physical exertions. Don't be put off by getting out of breath or feeling that you are shattered after a relatively short space of time. The whole point is you have made yourself tired and so burnt something off. Stick at it and increase your exercise steadily (not too slowly or you will start to become frustrated at the lack of progress).

I've watched a few programmes lately where they followed people for 7 years after gastric bypass and only 1 out of 4 lost the weight and kept it off in that time, but it was a major rollercoaster for them all as it doesn't tactle the mental side of why they over ate!

Beware of so called diets u pay for, remember they r companies and the main thing for them is ur money.. Your gp can help u change ur lifestyle through nuticitionists and councelling

"I've watched a few programmes lately where they followed people for 7 years after gastric bypass and only 1 out of 4 lost the weight and kept it off in that time, but it was a major rollercoaster for them all as it doesn't tactle the mental side of why they over ate!

Beware of so called diets u pay for, remember they r companies and the main thing for them is ur money.. Your gp can help u change ur lifestyle through nuticitionists and councelling"

So tru, why would a diet company (who are in it to make a profit!) want you to keep the fat off? They want you to lose it, quit their scheme, pile it back on and join up again. Your GP is the best person to give you diet advice, they can even give you a meal plan. Stick to it, you won't get ill, and you are taking charge of your own body, not allowing Marjorie Dawes or whoever, to dictate your weight loss and shouting it out to roomful of people.

All diets work if you do them right.

All diets fail if you do them wrong.

I haven't a " complex " about myself.

"whos had it or knows somebody whos had it done x i had it done 3 years ago and ive had problems

My next door neighbours sister had it done and its caused all sorts of problems for her. Its a drastic step and not to be taken lightly."

i had 18 years of diets n wl plans n nothing worked i ballooned up 2 a size 34 and 4 years of begging doc 2 refer me

"I haven't a " complex " about myself."
i dint post 4 sympathy jus wanted 2 know if anyone had similar problems as me after surgery x

thank u for all the nice thing i see here its explained alot even pm but alot of negative thingr said everybody has their own opinion but i didnt go on here 4 sympathy wanted 2 see who had problems similar 2 mine thanks 4 support guys n gals x

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Dont want to sound cheeky....

OP it says on your profile you are size 20+

You had the surgery 3 yrs ago?

Has it not worked? Or did it work and bring you down to size you are now?

"whos had it or knows somebody whos had it done x"

I have had the gastric band and had no problem with it and lost over 5stone

There is a support group for people who had/want gastric surgery at drewsbury hospital every 1st wendsday

There is no 'magic cure' to losing weight just pure maths and willpower. Having a mentor or someone to support and encourage you through the process is invaluable, especially if you plan to start exercising more.

I'd really recommend using a free app called MyFitnessPal. It logs calorie intake and exercise levels and has a cool bar code scanner you can use to evaluate the calorific content of your meals through the day.

It also tells you what your BMR is(cals needed to maintain body weight at rest) and has a portion size option. All foods logged are stored so you only have to scan or enter them once.

If you want to go this route rather than a risky, invasive procedure (combining light exercise with diet management) I'd be more than happy to help you set up a program specific to your needs and walk you through the app til you're used to it.

Good luck whatever you decide. x

My post above applies to anyone on the forum by the way ..

By *inkjjWoman  over a year ago

Ewell

I had a gastric bypass 21 months ago. Since then I have lost over 13 stone in weight. I had lots of health problems before and now I am hardly ever ill. I have excess skin but its not so bad and it's to be rom over next year. I have had no real problems at all, just sickness at times with certain foods or at the beginning when I was learning what I could and couldn't eat and how much.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

[Removed by poster at 25/11/12 16:20:23]

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

"My post above applies to anyone on the forum by the way .. "

wot a very kind gesture !

"Dont want to sound cheeky....

OP it says on your profile you are size 20+

You had the surgery 3 yrs ago?

Has it not worked? Or did it work and bring you down to size you are now?

"

it brought me down 2 the size i am now x

"My post above applies to anyone on the forum by the way .. "

It was my hubby that wrote the replies earlier.

I just wanted to add that I used to be over weight. Dieting wasn't enough to lose the weight. I had to add exercise to the equation to get results.

Through monitoring calorie intake and going to the gym at least three times a week (I make sure that I burn 1000 calories on the stationary bike before doing resistance work), I have lost a lot of weight.

My hubby has been instructive (he knows a lot about exercise and fitness) and supportive throughout this process, which has been a huge help. MyFitnessPal has been invaluable.

I used to use the excuse that I have a busy life and didn't have time to go to the gym but then I realised that going there wasn't like having a hobby ... it is essential to my health and well being. That's when I reevaluated my life and shifted my priorities.

I still find the gym boring ... but the results that it has given me has kept me going. I relieve the boredom by listening to audio books on my phone.

The weightloss has given me a new lease on life and is worth every minute of sweat, pain and endurance.

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

I know one person who had a gastric band and she lost loads of weight .she is fit and healthy.

I know two people who had gastric by pass both American one went to mexico and she died within a month with infection. Another women aged 30 had it done and was dead in a week with a huge blood clot in the lung..very sad and unlucky.

"I know one person who had a gastric band and she lost loads of weight .she is fit and healthy.

I know two people who had gastric by pass both American one went to mexico and she died within a month with infection. Another women aged 30 had it done and was dead in a week with a huge blood clot in the lung..very sad and unlucky. "

sorry 2 hear that hun x

I've lost 6 stone over the last 3 years through calorie counting. It worked for me because I'm a control freak and planning freak so planning ahead and doing all the sums suited me. I knew what my output was and I just had to ensure what I was putting in was less so I would then lose weight. Over time, I learnt if I had a treat, I had to cut back on a meal.

Looking back, I should have consulted with my GP first to ensure I was giving myself what I needed in terms of nutrition but the way I saw it, it had to be better than the 2 fast food meals a day I was gorging myself on.

Different things will work for different people and although what I did worked for me, I know it won't work for all. I hope anyone who wishes to change their appearance finds confidence to be happy with themselves and who they are as a person. crystal x

By *eryBigGirlWoman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

I've a friend who's works in a substance misuse clinic and they've done some research and a large amount of cases they've had over the last couple of years have been those who have had weight loss surgery and simply replaced one addiction with another!!

Having gastric surgery isnt an easy option for anyone, the fact that you have tried all the diets and tablets from the doctor and what you can buy online and nothing works.

For some people going to the gym isnt an option due to back problems or joint problems and other medical conditions, exercise is hard for anyone but when you are over weight and in pain the exercise seems pointless because you are just putting yourself through more pain for no results.

Gastric bypass for me was a last resort , i have tried the diets slimming world , weight watchers, and orlistat nothing worked for me.

Also it depends what other medical conditions you have, that stop you from losing weight.

Good luck to anyone out there who has had or is trying to get weightloss surgery, and im sorry about those who lost their lives trying to better them.

I dont know anyone who has replaced one addiction with another, im not saying there isnt anyone out there but i dont know anyone who has.

I wouldnt worry about negative comments from any one hun you are you and nothing will ever change that, do your best because thats about all you can x

"I had a gastric bypass 21 months ago. Since then I have lost over 13 stone in weight. I had lots of health problems before and now I am hardly ever ill. I have excess skin but its not so bad and it's to be rom over next year. I have had no real problems at all, just sickness at times with certain foods or at the beginning when I was learning what I could and couldn't eat and how much."

the basics to loosing excess fat is to use more energy than u consume so that ur body uses the excess fat.

any gastric surgery only eliminates hunger and restricts the amount u can eat, but as has been said u still have to follow an eating plan.. so it isnt a magic cure of eat what u want and loose weight.

I see hunger as a way of ur body saying "oomg i need energy, if u dont feed me im gonna have to use ur fat supplies" so thats a good thing surely XD

routine helps eliminate hunger as ur body will learn to only be hungry when its time to eat..

also excersise will force ur body to use ur fat supplies and satify the hunger.. so u can always go for a brisk walk or do some energetic housework for 10 mins.. also keeping urself occupied will stop u dwelling on the hunger..

it takes time to get started.. but with time it gets easier..

my wiehgt has been up and down over the years.. but i would never resort to any surgery as i dont want to put myself at unnessercary risks for something i can do, and i know alot of my eatign is physcological.. and surgery isnt going to cure that, after all u can blend a mars bar..

but the risks arent just from the surgery itself, there is the long term risk of not being able to take enough nutritants on board.. suregery is a fairly new thing.. whats going to start happening when these people reach the 30 years after surgery mark? when their bodies age anyway? i dont wanna find out the hard way..

also i have insulin resistance linked to PCOS and therefore i dont burn energy correctly.. so its actually important i dont eat thigns like sugar as it messes my body whcih cant cope with the sudden burst of energy from such a high energy food! it means i end up with too much insulin in my body and that messes up the (cant spell it) gland in ur neck that regulates female hormaones etc.. also messes ur brain messages up causing mood swings.. i have also realised it gives me a false hunger, a hunger that makes me think im gonna die if i dont eat yet i dont need the food, my stomach is full, my body just cant isnt turning the food into energy as it should..

yh ive done alot of research over this..

building up excersise is vital.. as the more u way the more energy u burn just doing everyday things like climbing stairs.. so as the weight comes of u need to increase excersise to maintain the energy u have been burning.. also u need to tone muscles that have been neglected with all the fat attched to them.. and also helps to soften the hard fat thats been there for years, as the first part of dieting is newer fat and not so compact..

saddens me when people resort to surgery to force them to do something they CAN do without the surgery.. why take the risks to force urself to eat less when all u have to do is eat less..

"Having gastric surgery isnt an easy option for anyone, the fact that you have tried all the diets and tablets from the doctor and what you can buy online and nothing works.

For some people going to the gym isnt an option due to back problems or joint problems and other medical conditions, exercise is hard for anyone but when you are over weight and in pain the exercise seems pointless because you are just putting yourself through more pain for no results.

Gastric bypass for me was a last resort , i have tried the diets slimming world , weight watchers, and orlistat nothing worked for me.

Also it depends what other medical conditions you have, that stop you from losing weight.

Good luck to anyone out there who has had or is trying to get weightloss surgery, and im sorry about those who lost their lives trying to better them.

I dont know anyone who has replaced one addiction with another, im not saying there isnt anyone out there but i dont know anyone who has.

I wouldnt worry about negative comments from any one hun you are you and nothing will ever change that, do your best because thats about all you can x"

weight watchers, slimming world etc.. they do not knwo u or ur lifestyle, but they do knwo u own a wallet.. as for tablets, and supplements etc.. what r they going to do :/

as i say eating less calories than u burn a day will make u loose wiehgt, afterall thats all the surgery is forcing u to do..

sorry to keep on..

but so many people moan diets dont work.. but then i see them treating themselves with a cake cos they have eaten so well all day..

loose cane sugar it has no nutricional value and after time food tastes so much better without cane sugar in ur life.. eat loads of vegetables.. good slow releasing energy and tons of nutricion..

oh and one big tip i have is i have a treat day.. one meal a week of fish and chips wont kill u! it also means any foods u crave in the week u can save for treat day.. so its not like ur not going to feed ur craving.. altho my treat days never involve sugar! also food is sociable.. and u cant go to a BBQ and expect urself to resist temptations around u and its rude to the host to pick at the food.. but a uilt free treat day is fine

Diets dont work.

Ive been doing them over the years, slimming world and weight watchers etc.

And i also considered the gastric band option.

but didnt want the loose flesh.

Everyone gains weight for a multitude of reasons. After losing the love of my life, i didnt want the pain again so gained the weight thinking it would keep the guys at bay...It didnt work.

We wear our weight like an overcoat and get used to it very quickly.

We really do have to learn to be happy within ones self and accept what we cant change and change what we cant accept...really does work.

Ive stopped the dieting, eat sensibly when im hungry...and its worked.

Im losing weight and have dropped 4 dress sizes in about 8mths.

Good luck to all who persevere

"Diets dont work.

Ive been doing them over the years, slimming world and weight watchers etc.

And i also considered the gastric band option.

but didnt want the loose flesh.

Everyone gains weight for a multitude of reasons. After losing the love of my life, i didnt want the pain again so gained the weight thinking it would keep the guys at bay...It didnt work.

We wear our weight like an overcoat and get used to it very quickly.

We really do have to learn to be happy within ones self and accept what we cant change and change what we cant accept...really does work.

Ive stopped the dieting, eat sensibly when im hungry...and its worked.

Im losing weight and have dropped 4 dress sizes in about 8mths.

Good luck to all who persevere "

well done..

and well done for not choosing surgery and doing things the sensible way XD

"the basics to loosing excess fat is to use more energy than u consume so that ur body uses the excess fat."

Whilst that is basically true, it's a very over-simplified statement.

You body may end up burning lean tissue (that is, muscle) as well as fat for energy.

Firstly, your heart is a muscle and could be weakened by the body burning lean tissue. Secondly, your muscles use calories so losing muscle means lowering your metabolism (i.e. burning fewer calories).

People who yo-yo diet tend to lose some fat and some muscle and then replace the weight with fat, so gradually their metabolic rate drops (making them more susceptible to gaining weight) and their body fat percentage increases.

There is more to weight loss than cutting calories. If you are overweight and want to lose some of that weight, see your GP and get some expert advice. Otherwise you could be hampering your own chances without even knowing it.

GPs can prescribe exercise too now, so you may get a discount at local sports facilities, and additional help and support getting started and getting into the habit of taking exercise.

Basically, eat regularly. Don't skip meals or starve yourself. Eat little and often. Ensure you are getting the right vitamins and minerals. Taking a good quality vitamin supplement may help. Cravings may be psychological but they may also mean you are missing essential nutrients. Listen to your body. It knows when it needs fuel and what it needs.

Exercise will help. It will use your muscles, and help ensure your body isn't burning them for food. It will build new muscle, increasing your metabolism. It will make you feel happier and give you more energy. However, exercise doesn't actually burn a lot of calories, (unless you're running marathon or swimming the channel). The bulk of the "calorie defecit" that you need to lose weight will come from reducing the calories you consume.

Weight loss isn't easy (for most people) and there's more to it than eat fewer calories than you burn.

some people including myself have struggled with weight since an early age, also have been to the drs and done the exercise and counted calories and nothing worked, surgery for me was a last resort, not everyone has the same metabolism so wont all lose weight by doing any certain thing.

people who can lose weight easily obviously do not need surgery but for people like myself theres really no choice and believe me its no easy option.

» Add a new message to this topic