FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > spending Xmas alone

spending Xmas alone

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *abio OP   Man  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

always a happy topic....

it has actually dawned on me today that a month out this is going to be the first xmas I will be spending on my own....

the rest of the family are going down to the caribbean for my nans 90th, and with mum not being here, there no real need/urge to go down to london and spend time there ....

so a question, how did you cope your first xmas on your own... part of me is sad, part of me is releived that I am only cooking for 1 as opposed for 20...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Older Hot Guy For 20’s-30’s Girls

"always a happy topic....

it has actually dawned on me today that a month out this is going to be the first xmas I will be spending on my own....

the rest of the family are going down to the caribbean for my nans 90th, and with mum not being here, there no real need/urge to go down to london and spend time there ....

so a question, how did you cope your first xmas on your own... part of me is sad, part of me is releived that I am only cooking for 1 as opposed for 20...

"

Likewise.

Due to family stuff which I'm not going to get onto on here, it looks as if I'll be spending my first Christmas, solo, too.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

Don't thinkmincould cope with Christmas on my own. Hope I never have to. Think I would probably offer my help at a shelter somewhere.

"

Fabio, you're putting me to shame. I'm not even sure I can be bothered to cook for just myself!

By *evilwolfCouple  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"

Don't thinkmincould cope with Christmas on my own. Hope I never have to. Think I would probably offer my help at a shelter somewhere."

Think I'd rather do a shift at the soupkitchen too than be on my ownsome that day...

Wolf

I spent one Christmas in the army so it wasn't alone as such, but it wasn't the best either. I had one Christmas totally on my own, just a couple of months after my ex wife left. Never want to do that again.

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Fabio meet Donky. Donkey meet Fabio...

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)  over a year ago

birmingham

Ol is not a Christmas person, it'll come and go, just another day.

Ill be spending Xmas eve and Xmas day night alone, have done a few years before, got a little d*unk as made me miss having someone in my life... But right now I'm just going with the fact that I make it what it is x

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

The year after my Mum died, I was in my late teens and my new boyfriend (now my husband) was sent out to the States with work....my older brother was serving overseas and my sister was living in Zimbabwe.

I spent Christmas alone as my flatmates were back home with their families....and it was a terribly lonely time.

So I hope you get through the holidays Ok Fabio....try to keep busy.

"Fabio meet Donky. Donkey meet Fabio..."

PMSL!

I spent Xmas on my own 2 years ago due to unexpected circumstances.

I rushed out to the shops on Xmas eve for food as I had little in the house and on the big day made myself a great meal and totally indulged myself.

Had a few drinks and watched a few films online and really enjoyed my day.

Not something I would wish to do every year but I was determined to have a good time and did so,

Newcastle and Gateshead

i wasn't say it was the worst thing, just something I think that struck me today as i was going thru the stuff I am going to need to buy to get thru the holibobs...

the fact i get to control the remote is cool, and that i don't have to get up at silly o'clock is alluring, it just made me feel the whole atmosphere was just weird...

I have only spent one Xmas alone, but I quite enjoyed it. Got all the phone calls out of the way first thing and then the rest of the day indulged myself.

Can't remember my first Christmas alone as it was over 25 years ago. I much prefer to be on my own than with peeps I do not know well.

Newcastle and Gateshead

mind you.. on the plus side I have the week off... so I may have to do some travelling to see some friends..... lol

By *ssexguy69Man  over a year ago

around and about thurrock

HALF OF MY CHRISTMASES IM ON MY TOD , AV MY SON HF IT THEN ITS JUST ME AND THE BUDGIE LOL

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Im not allowed to spend christmas on my own, but the years ive got away with it its been heaven. One year i had a corned beef sandwich for my lunch. Loved it, guess it depends if you look at the positive or negative.

You could always go and help those less fortunate

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I am this year and that is by choice as my family are abroad and I chose not to go.

I am really looking forward to it

I have to work christmas day, I will gladly swap with you

Altho if you are looking for something to keep you occupied, many charities especially homeless shelters, soup kitchens and help the aged would certainly be glad if some help

I spose it depends on what Christmas means to you. To me it means family celebration. To others it is truly christ's mass, celebrating the coming of the messiah. If it means neither of these it really is just another day .........

"Can't remember my first Christmas alone as it was over 25 years ago. I much prefer to be on my own than with peeps I do not know well. "

I spend much of Christmas on my own, my son always comes around for Christmas day lunch, but he has his own life so I'm happy to see him go off and enjoy himself.

Christmas's past used to be grand affairs when my mum and dad were alive, but now there is just me and my son left

To be honest over the last three years I have found encouragement from friends and forumites on here like Pearl who tackle Christmas head on with every intention of enjoying themselves even though they will be home alone, somehow it helps me cope a little better xxx

I still live with my ex while we're going through divorce(both on fab). I'm also in the process of buying her out as part of that process.

Last year we still spent it together at her parents end. This year will be the first one apart(we're still friends and being amicable). She's going to visit her parents for xmas(about 3hrs away) and i'll be going round to visit mine for xmas day itself though might mean being home alone xmas eve and waking up with nothing but the dog for company.

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

This year will be my 3rd of 4th xmas on my own, and I will admit that I love it.

I do cook myself a mini xmas dinner, always have a few bottles of bubbly in the fridge and then settle down watching all the films....bliss (for me!)

Of the few times I spent Christmas with peeps other than just my ex-hubby/late partner, they all ended in tears/arguments.

Hence I'd rather be on my own than with anyone else.

I'll be busy cooking for a start. The joy of having full control of the remote control, and eat, drink and do whatever I want, whenever I want, is pure bliss.

Not unlike my usual weekends alone, except the food and drinks will be more elaborate.

When there was a mumble of working on Christmas and Boxing Days, I said straight away that I shan't be available, as I will start drinking Bucks Fizz as soon as I get up!

If they want me to be on-call for the alarms, then I'll only agree to it if they agree to ferry to and from work by taxi, as I shan't be fit enough to drive!

Can't wait!

"Of the few times I spent Christmas with peeps other than just my ex-hubby/late partner, they all ended in tears/arguments.

Hence I'd rather be on my own than with anyone else.

I'll be busy cooking for a start. The joy of having full control of the remote control, and eat, drink and do whatever I want, whenever I want, is pure bliss.

Not unlike my usual weekends alone, except the food and drinks will be more elaborate.

When there was a mumble of working on Christmas and Boxing Days, I said straight away that I shan't be available, as I will start drinking Bucks Fizz as soon as I get up!

If they want me to be on-call for the alarms, then I'll only agree to it if they agree to ferry to and from work by taxi, as I shan't be fit enough to drive!

Can't wait! "

I'm not a big fan of this single life malarky, but reading many of your posts Pearl has made me realise that it really isn't all that bad!

Surely there's scope for a xmas do at your place then? You seem like a top bloke who talks a lot of sense and I reckon you'd throw a heck of a partay!!

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Its my first Xmas not at my Mums for 5 years so me and my daughter are going to have a nice meal, lots of booze and chocs, and spend it vegging in front of the TV. I cannot wait!

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

The first and best thing to do is not tell anyone - but you've blown that.

Given that people now know, you need a strategy to ensure you can refuse all the invitations you're sure to get without upsetting anyone.

The best way is to tell A you've already agreed to go to B. Tell B you've agreed to go to C. Tell C you've agreed to go to D and so on.

NB. This only works if no two consecutive 'letters' actually know each other.

I'm working & will be on my own for the whole of the holidays. I think on my days off it will be me & a bottle of grey goose,,,,well it's christmas after all

Forum Mod

Although I probably don't need to on other peoples behalf but I just get really sad at the thought of anyone spending christmas day alone,although I know that some people would rather be alone and not have all the hassle it just upsets me

I was in tears this week because my daughter was telling me about someone she knows whos family is going though a hard time and all I could think of was how miserable their christmas will be and how unfair it is that there is so much pressure on people to have the "perfect" christmas and how in reality it is'nt for a lot of people

Hi there,

Not out of choice, but when I was 18 I spent my Christmas in a house with no electricity, food and other people. But, ironically it was the most enlightening and educational I ever had

"Its my first Xmas not at my Mums for 5 years so me and my daughter are going to have a nice meal, lots of booze and chocs, and spend it vegging in front of the TV. I cannot wait!"

I don't want to be in tears on Christmas Eve because the ex-outlaws were driving me nuts with their comments and demands about food; or to find myself packing up leaving on Christmas Day with my late partner because his mother was throwing a hissy fit; etc. etc. ever again.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"there is so much pressure on people to have the "perfect" christmas and how in reality it is'nt for a lot of people"

Yes that is quite depressing, knowing that for some people this is a bad time of year. But for me spending time with sulky teens and a mother who is slowly but surely driving me batty is much worse than having a day with no demands on my time.

Having said that, I haven't broken the news to my daughter that, if I am cooking, she is washing up!

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I've had one entirely on my own and it was fine. This will be the first year for some 15 years where I will be alone for NYE. I suppose I'll be able to see the whole Hootenanny.

I have no family that I'm in contact so often have to explore alternative ideas for Christmas. So there was the year I went out cycling around a deserted Central London with a load of other waifs and strays, there was the year I went trekking in Thailand, but my favourite was when I voluntered at the Salvation Army in Camden, way more volunteers than they needed, so minimal work for everyone, chatting to old people who were happy to have some new faces to talk - one of my favourite ever Christmases to be honest

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I have no family that I'm in contact so often have to explore alternative ideas for Christmas. So there was the year I went out cycling around a deserted Central London with a load of other waifs and strays, there was the year I went trekking in Thailand, but my favourite was when I voluntered at the Salvation Army in Camden, way more volunteers than they needed, so minimal work for everyone, chatting to old people who were happy to have some new faces to talk - one of my favourite ever Christmases to be honest"

I have yet to meet the person who hated the Christmas volunteering stint.

"I have no family that I'm in contact so often have to explore alternative ideas for Christmas. So there was the year I went out cycling around a deserted Central London with a load of other waifs and strays, there was the year I went trekking in Thailand, but my favourite was when I voluntered at the Salvation Army in Camden, way more volunteers than they needed, so minimal work for everyone, chatting to old people who were happy to have some new faces to talk - one of my favourite ever Christmases to be honest

I have yet to meet the person who hated the Christmas volunteering stint."

I think everyone should do it at least once. It was humbling but also great fun.

By * starr -Woman  over a year ago

Burton on Trent.

i enjoy it being on my own, no hassle, arguments, remote hogging, its bliss.but i do spend a moment to think of those less fortunate than myself, i may not have much but i have a roof over my head, some dont.i hope they are looked after somewhere this year and dont get too cold.if only there were more places to help them.

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Gonna be a bit of a weird one for me this year - having my hip replaced on 14th December so I'll be out of hospital, but not very mobile so not sure whether I'll be leaving the house or not - depends who turns up to see me and whether I'm able to get in their car or not...Not over bothered as to what happens, don't want to put anyone to any trouble, be as happy watching crap Christmas telly as being in company if everyone has to look out for me...bit cheesed off that I can't book to go to Egypt for the New Year again as not allowed to fly for 8 weeks after my surgery

The positives are beginning to outweigh the negatives, of spending Christmas Day alone now, after reading all of the above posts.

Thank you, everyone.

By *ovingit2012Man  over a year ago

Dudley

This will be my first christmas alone.. not looking forward to it one little bit. No parents or family the thought of christmas looming fills me with dread but hey ho treat it as a lazy sunday and spend it in bed.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

well if you lived nearer you could all have come to mine

Last Christmas was the first time it was just Titch and I, everyone else was busy, so I got us a last minute skiing/snowboarding holiday to Austria it was fantastic.

We flew out Christmas eve and flew back into Scotland NY eve after a brilliant holiday and the best snow on the slopes for years.

"Last Christmas was the first time it was just Titch and I, everyone else was busy, so I got us a last minute skiing/snowboarding holiday to Austria it was fantastic.

We flew out Christmas eve and flew back into Scotland NY eve after a brilliant holiday and the best snow on the slopes for years. "

That's not quite the same as being solo, though

"Last Christmas was the first time it was just Titch and I, everyone else was busy, so I got us a last minute skiing/snowboarding holiday to Austria it was fantastic.

We flew out Christmas eve and flew back into Scotland NY eve after a brilliant holiday and the best snow on the slopes for years.

That's not quite the same as being solo, though "

true, but after him having big family Christmases every year to be reduced to just me with him, I thought if he was having fun snowboarding in a crowd he wouldn't miss everyone else so much.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I'm not religious

Why not organise a Fab xmas dinner/meet with a few forumites

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Its so sad hearing that some of you are spending xmas alone...

I feel sorry for those who have to spend 2 days of their well-earned holidays with people they seldom see, for the sake of "family".

"I feel sorry for those who have to spend 2 days of their well-earned holidays with people they seldom see, for the sake of "family". "

That made me chuckle but pretty accurate with many.

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

OMG!!! Im sooooooooooo looking forward to spending xmas day alone!!!

My first time and im not getting out my PJ's for anyone

Glasgow

"I'm not religious"

What's religious got to do with it? It's Christmas were talking about.

Glasgow

"Its so sad hearing that some of you are spending xmas alone... "

Don't be sad. Some of us have worked hard and long to make this possible.

Don't confuse 'alone' with 'lonely'. They're two wholly different things.

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

"

Don't confuse 'alone' with 'lonely'. They're two wholly different things."

"Its so sad hearing that some of you are spending xmas alone...

Indeedy!

By *H.coupleCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"

Never been on my own at xmas, but have been on operational tour for 3 xmas' that was pretty shite.

I think being alone would be worse for me personally, but on the flip side you dont get the hassle and cleaning to deal with

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"

great post

"

Don't confuse 'alone' with 'lonely'. They're two wholly different things.

great post"

I feel sorry for those who cannot differentiate between the two.

Never been on my own at xmas, but have been on operational tour for 3 xmas' that was pretty shite.

I think being alone would be worse for me personally, but on the flip side you dont get the hassle and cleaning to deal with"

Cleaning??

Morrison's has a cute little brie for one in a ceramic dish for baking, and I was very tempted to get one as one of the starters, had I not bought the starters for this year's meals already.

I bought a garlic mini brie from Aldi's and had it baked as a starter for Christmas Day in 2010, and it was lush when eaten with warm crusty bread.

Just me and two of my boys this year...very quiet compared to previous years.

They've be off to their mates asap I would think, so will probably have most of xmas day alone.

Bliss

"Its so sad hearing that some of you are spending xmas alone...

I do understand that you can be alone and not lonely...i do understand that they are 2 different emotions so can tell the difference...i was just saying that i feel sad about it..

Glasgow

Alone isn't an emotion.

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

"Just me and two of my boys this year...very quiet compared to previous years.

They've be off to their mates asap I would think, so will probably have most of xmas day alone.

Bliss

"

you will make up for it on Hogmanay

By *ctavius StuntMan  over a year ago

london

"

I wouldnt worry mate you look like a big lad. I am always alone at xmas.

[Removed by poster at 26/11/12 18:50:01]

"Alone isn't an emotion. "

There are certain emotions asociated with being alone to some its happiness and qnd joy.. to some its dread and saddness..

"

Happened to me the first and only time so far, three years ago.

It's just one day Fabio - like the old song says '24 little hours'.... you get through it. Not easily. And I have to admit a bottle (or three) of Merlot did help....

Pork

By *he Original TTMan  over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

I won't be alone but may feel lonely as it will be my first Chrustmas single for many years...

we are sure you will get plenty of invites to Christmas lunch Fabio

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

I spent one Christmas isolated from anyone and truly disliked it. As a family we usually do something for those less fortunate than us. One of the best Christmas we had was visiting a children ward with presents and food for everyone. Whenever I feel like moaning just think of those kids and it does make me smile.

Fabby do whatever makes you happy, but just remember to phone your mom, happy Christmas hope its a good one

King's Crustacean

"I'm not religious

What's religious got to do with it? It's Christmas were talking about."

Sadly ......how true.

I've never been alone at Xmas and never will be, I hope.

Mum & Dad won't be here forever I know, but I've got three kids and a wife so someone will be around to take me in when I'm old and grey lol.

"Alone isn't an emotion.

There are certain emotions asociated with being alone to some its happiness and qnd joy.. to some its dread and saddness.. "

And you said you understand the differences between being alone and lonely in one of your previous posts?

"I'm not religious

What's religious got to do with it? It's Christmas were talking about.

Sadly ......how true. "

Oh the irony!

Glasgow

"Alone isn't an emotion.

There are certain emotions asociated with being alone to some its happiness and qnd joy.. to some its dread and saddness..

And you said you understand the differences between being alone and lonely in one of your previous posts? "

There's no point in nailing some folks to the wall for such inconsequential reasons.

King's Crustacean

"Alone isn't an emotion.

And you said you understand the differences between being alone and lonely in one of your previous posts?

There's no point in nailing some folks to the wall for such inconsequential reasons."

It was a cross but that's okay cos im not religious

"Alone isn't an emotion.

There's no point in nailing some folks to the wall for such inconsequential reasons."

I dislike contradictions.

Glasgow

"Alone isn't an emotion.

There's no point in nailing some folks to the wall for such inconsequential reasons.

It was a cross but that's okay cos im not religious "

It was only described as a cross to appease interior designers.

Glasgow

"..........

I dislike contradictions. "

Take deep breaths.

Glasgow

"..........

I dislike contradictions.

Take deep breaths."

Sorry, I missread that as contractions

By *he Original TTMan  over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

"Alone isn't an emotion.

I dislike contradictions. "

Not really seeing where the contradiction is there though Pearl...?!

King's Crustacean

"Alone isn't an emotion.

It was only described as a cross to appease interior designers."

Exterior .. unless the hills in Glasgae are indoors...

I have put myself down to work xmas day till 10pm but after that I have a free house till kids come back next day...maybe i should have a fab party!!

Its about time i met you _abio! lol

"

Not really seeing where the contradiction is there though Pearl...?! "

To me personally, I associate "alone" being one's status in time, being without others present; and "lonely" being an emotion that can be felt.

I do not associate being alone with positive or negative emotions. I like to be alone most of the time, regardless whether I am happy or not.

Hence I consider it a contradiction when someone claims to appreciate the difference between alone and lonely, when one cannot differentiate emotions and status.

I have never spent christmas alone but if I had to then I would either wprk, go abroad or help with a charity. I used to do charity work for Age Concern many years ago and I'd visit older people for them to have company for a little while. It used to upset me when they died though and I got too attached.

I think if you are doing what you want to do then it doesn't matter if you choose to be alone or with others.

Glasgow

"Alone isn't an emotion.

It was only described as a cross to appease interior designers.

Exterior .. unless the hills in Glasgae are indoors..."

The hills around Glasgow aren't 'far away' and the Cross isn't Rugged.

Glasgow

"I have never spent christmas alone but if I had to then I would either wprk, go abroad or help with a charity. I used to do charity work for Age Concern many years ago and I'd visit older people for them to have company for a little while. It used to upset me when they died though and I got too attached.

I think if you are doing what you want to do then it doesn't matter if you choose to be alone or with others. "

This is so like buying charity chrimbo cards then sending the receipt to your pals.

Who, save yourself, gives a **** anyone does in terms of charity?

I have Xmas off work for a change will be spending it with mum. It's new year I'm dredding was supposed to be away but got let down again by my supposed best friend (lesson learnt). I find new year really tough so really don't want to be on my own. I decided soon as I get in from work nye morning I'm going to get d*unk and fingers crossed will sleep through it.

By *nfieldishCouple  over a year ago

Enfield

After a family get together in the preceding week....my OH.....trundles up to Durham to be with her family......

I have Xmas day on my own with the springer....and then me n the dawg go to the pub Xmas night to meet a few friends..

I love it......

David

» Add a new message to this topic