FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > FLOODS

FLOODS

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ovecpl69 OP   Couple  over a year ago

london

And no not from the wife gushing... Surely its about time they start thinking of digging river beds and streams deeper or would this not be possible? any other ideas too prevent all this flooding going on you fabbers?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

Don't think that would help as I think you would have to dig towards the centre of the earth for the amount of rain that has been seen. The Banks would have to be reinforced.

I think a lot of probs are caused by developing on flood plains

By *kin BohnerMan  over a year ago

derby

Simple, stop building on flood plains stop people paving their gardens and only allow driveways that rain can pass through.

Every new build or road just adds to the problem.

I am sure its not that simple and there are other issues but I know it cant help.

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Yea take the bloody cover off the reservoir. I may not have a hosepipe ban next summer then

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Simple, stop building on flood plains stop people paving their gardens and only allow driveways that rain can pass through.

Every new build or road just adds to the problem.

I am sure its not that simple and there are other issues but I know it cant help. "

Silly as it sounds-it actually is almost as simple as that. Afforestation would help as well.

The problem is only partly the volume of water, if surface run off was reduced there would be a lot less flooding.

If we made surfaces more permeable (ie stopped concreting everything) the lag times wouldnt be so short and cause flash flooding.

We're our own worst enemy.

"And no not from the wife gushing... Surely its about time they start thinking of digging river beds and streams deeper or would this not be possible? any other ideas too prevent all this flooding going on you fabbers? "

Unfortunately you can't just go digging river beds - they're a vital habitat for the plant and animal life of the river - take that away, and the river will die

Simple,,, don't build houses where flooding is a possibility,, ie next to a river or on a known flood plain

Huge out of town shopping places mean huge in town floods, it is that simple.

The rain water has nowhere to go other than flood the land that's covered.

When were river beds last dredged? Why are the drains not cleared more regularly especially with leaves dropping down, who is responsible or is it another excuse for a golden handshake resignation?

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Huge out of town shopping places mean huge in town floods, it is that simple.

The rain water has nowhere to go other than flood the land that's covered.

"

An out of town shopping centre that is built on a flood plain selling flood defences?

I've just ordered a shitload of blotting paper from Viking Direct

» Add a new message to this topic