FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Tuesday Morning Musings on Weight Loss

Tuesday Morning Musings on Weight Loss

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *acey_Red OP   Woman  over a year ago

Liverpool

There's often many discussions on fab about weight loss and there's been even more this morning. There's often a lot of varying views. It has got me wondering, would you consider someone who has lost a significant amount of weight or someone who has never been overweight to be more of an expert in weight loss?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Both. But they are not experts on my weight loss. I am.

I'd take tips from anyone and try it, some will work for me some wont

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"There's often many discussions on fab about weight loss and there's been even more this morning. There's often a lot of varying views. It has got me wondering, would you consider someone who has lost a significant amount of weight or someone who has never been overweight to be more of an expert in weight loss?"

Both should / could have some really useful insights.

By *wist my nipplesCouple  over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

Probably the former. I don't think there's a one size fits all, though. We are all so different - metabolism, underlying conditions, emotional triggers, patterns of behaviour, mindset, amount of free time - that I'm not sure how helpful generic advice is, apart from the overarching "eat less, move more".

Mrs TMN x

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

"Both. But they are not experts on my weight loss. I am.

I'd take tips from anyone and try it, some will work for me some wont "

This

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm not sure who is the expert, but I'd take any advice and tips I could get.

If it's from someone who'd lost, I'd ask how. If it's from someone who is and always has been slim, I'd ask if they did anything specific to maintain that way.

I’ll meet anyone

100% this.

There is so much info out there but you need to find what works and is sustainable for YOU.

For me personally nothing works as well as fasted cardio. But that’s definitely not for everyone.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I’ll meet anyone "

Saturday, behind the bins in Aldi?

Different strokes for courses for folks and horses... or something...

I've known perpetually slim people that won the genetic metabolic lottery, others through diligence and discipline.

And those that fluctuated betwixt the two.

As to those the most qualified to give advice, neither. It's a very subjective topic and an either or approach is a bit limiting.

Im not sure iv ever given it a thought

I guess both but a lot of people who are overweight and want to lose can be influenced by or seek how others who have lost weight themselves have gone about it because they’ve obviously been in a similar position but as we know one method is not suitable for all. There was a show on TV I can’t remember what it was called now and I may be remembering inaccurately but I think after bloodworks, a physical assessment and physiological evaluation they were all advised on different method to suit them as individuals.

"I guess both but a lot of people who are overweight and want to lose can be influenced by or seek how others who have lost weight themselves have gone about it because they’ve obviously been in a similar position but as we know one method is not suitable for all. There was a show on TV I can’t remember what it was called now and I may be remembering inaccurately but I think after bloodworks, a physical assessment and physiological evaluation they were all advised on different method to suit them as individuals. "

*psychological evaluation

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

^ this!! we all accept sexually that everyone is different - theres no blueprint so why would we think that something metabolic would react the same way in everyone - yes if you only take in 1000 calories a day you will lose weight as your body needs more than that for basic function - you wont remain healthy for too long - but theres a mental aspect to it too which is not as easy to predict - how many people will want to stick to 1000 cals a day?

Take advice and inspiration from wherever and whatever- but make your own journey its your challenge with your body x

By *heFabtasticsCouple  over a year ago

brentwood

"I’ll meet anyone

Saturday, behind the bins in Aldi?"

What time?

By *ustamanMan  over a year ago

weymouth

Tbh being one of those irritating genetically predisposed persons that doesn't really put weight on I can't offer any real suggestions. My ex though did use one of those diet shake things that definitely worked for her.

"There's often many discussions on fab about weight loss and there's been even more this morning. There's often a lot of varying views. It has got me wondering, would you consider someone who has lost a significant amount of weight or someone who has never been overweight to be more of an expert in weight loss?"

You can’t really be an expert on weight loss

Calories in vs calories out, technically, makes you an expert. Because that’a how it works.

But as I said on the other thread, knowing a marathon is 26.2 mile is very different to running it.

Yes, COCI is king, but actually doing it is where the expertise comes in, and everyone’s different

Keto works for some, IF works for others, IIFYM for others.

There is no expert really. Just a bunch of methods to make CICO work.

If you’ve lost weight before, your only an expert on how you lost weight. Not anyone else.

North West

I wouldn't trust anyone who isn't qualified medically in some way.

Mr KC is very slim, he struggles to gain weight and loses it really easily. He has no idea how to help me lose weight because he seems to lose it just by existing. He doesn't try, he doesn't count calories or macros or anything. He is just slim.

Someone who had lost a lot of weight has managed their own personal circumstances.

What worked for them may not work for anyone else.

Someone who has never had the challenge loosing weight will only ever be an opinion expert and can be blinded by the generic cals in cals out (example coach Greg on you tube)

If you're looking to loose weight the best person would be someone who has an educated experience.

Part of what I do for a living as a L6 Health Promoter and can honestly say that it has to be every person is different and their journey will be different. Everything has to be taken into consideration ie gender, socioeconomic, education, ethnicity, health both mental and physical etc before any form of plan will be provided in any good establishment.

One plan/s doesn't fit all at all

By *inkForLifeCouple  over a year ago

North Shields

"would you consider someone who has lost a significant amount of weight or someone who has never been overweight to be more of an expert in weight loss?"

I don't know anyone who's never been over weight who has to "work" to maintain it. I know loads of people who've lost weight and have to actively work, both diet and exercise to maintain it, but it seems the people who've never been over weight have something different about them, not that they can eat whatever they want and don't need exercise, just that they naturally manage their lifestyle better.

I don't see what advice someone who naturally doesn't put weight on it could give me which I could apply.

To me, this is like asking someone who is always happy and has never been depressed how to get out of depression. They'd likely just say "be happier".

By *inkForLifeCouple  over a year ago

North Shields

"I wouldn't trust anyone who isn't qualified medically in some way.

Mr KC is very slim, he struggles to gain weight and loses it really easily. He has no idea how to help me lose weight because he seems to lose it just by existing. He doesn't try, he doesn't count calories or macros or anything. He is just slim. "

This!

By *razytimesinloveCouple  over a year ago

SW Scotland

Each would have their own ideas on what works.

Myself and Mrs CT are complete opposites when it comes to weight loss/gain.

I personally think women have the best insight for advising other women on weight loss as they would have dealt with things that men haven’t and vice versa

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

I will consider both and have done so. It's a moot point for me.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Much Pissing on the Strawbs

Either , Neither or Both.

Those that have lost weight themselves are not 'expert'. Their diet may have worked for them but there is no knowing if they have maintained good nutrition or they have lost muscle instead of fat or will just eat themselves into oblivion again. They could be awful at giving advice thinking that what they did works for everyone.

The person who has never lost weight may be educated in good nutrition and exercise or in the biology of the human body in addition to knowing about the pitfalls of the plethora of fad diets out there ... their basic understanding of food as nutrition and fuel could be of far greater value than the person who only knows their own body via experience.

I'm not into the fad of ' lived experience' unless we examing the 'lived experience' of many and use that as evidence.

"I’ll meet anyone

Saturday, behind the bins in Aldi?"

Bring me some brown rice in case I am hungry

North West

"I’ll meet anyone

Bring me some brown rice in case I am hungry "

It's low GI, it'll keep you going like a Duracell bunny

Definitely true.

I have not tried fad diets but I have done various exercises and changed the types of things I eat and the only thing that ever made a bit of difference was intermittent fasting.

It also helped some health things. So it's not just weight related, we all know it's a whole body benefit thing too.

What works for one depends on how their metabolism and overall system is balanced and it's needs

I go into the dentists there are two women in there. One is a dentist who has never had a tooth extracted. The other is a patient but has pulled two of her own teeth.

Which one do you want to work on you ?

In a bakery there are two men. One is a world champion cake baker the other has eaten a lifetimes supply of cake. Who do you ask to make a cake for your celebration ?

You and your partner are at home. The electrics go haywire. Who deals with it? The one who is a qualified electrician or the one who turns the lights on and off the most ?

"I’ll meet anyone

It's low GI, it'll keep you going like a Duracell bunny "

Oh I need brown rice because I have diarrhoea when I am anxious for having sex outside

North West

"I’ll meet anyone

Oh I need brown rice because I have diarrhoea when I am anxious for having sex outside "

We can deal with that. Aldi middle aisle will have something

"I’ll meet anyone

Oh I need brown rice because I have diarrhoea when I am anxious for having sex outside

We can deal with that. Aldi middle aisle will have something "

Fingers crossed

North West

"I’ll meet anyone

Fingers crossed "

Sticky fingers crossed

Liverpool

"I go into the dentists there are two women in there. One is a dentist who has never had a tooth extracted. The other is a patient but has pulled two of her own teeth.

In a bakery there are two men. One is a world champion cake baker the other has eaten a lifetimes supply of cake. Who do you ask to make a cake for your celebration ?

You and your partner are at home. The electrics go haywire. Who deals with it? The one who is a qualified electrician or the one who turns the lights on and off the most ? "

If the question was who is more of an expert, someone who has lost a significant amount of weight or a qaulified nutritionist, I think the answer would be obvious but that wasn't the question .

Everyone is different and everyone needs to find what works for them. I lost mine by restricting calorie intake to 1000 calories a day and cutting carbs but I openly state that my way isn’t for everyone and probably isn’t suitable for most people. I lost it rapidly too which generally isn’t advised.

It worked well for me though personally and my overall health wasn’t affected.

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

"I’ll meet anyone

Fingers crossed

Sticky fingers crossed "

I'm really enjoying this interlude. It reads like a Mills & Boon novel.

"I go into the dentists there are two women in there. One is a dentist who has never had a tooth extracted. The other is a patient but has pulled two of her own teeth.

You and your partner are at home. The electrics go haywire. Who deals with it? The one who is a qualified electrician or the one who turns the lights on and off the most ?

If the question was who is more of an expert, someone who has lost a significant amount of weight or a qaulified nutritionist, I think the answer would be obvious but that wasn't the question . "

I know. In my first answer I pointed out that the non dieter may be an expert without ever having dieted....

I've lost 2 and a half stone this year I'm happy to help anyone but like people say it's down to the individual

Liverpool

If the question was who is more of an expert, someone who has lost a significant amount of weight or a qaulified nutritionist, I think the answer would be obvious but that wasn't the question .

I know. In my first answer I pointed out that the non dieter may be an expert without ever having dieted.... "

They may be.

By *unfriendly 123Man  over a year ago

boston

I've list 12 kgs since May...been bloody hard work

Tin town

I know. In my first answer I pointed out that the non dieter may be an expert without ever having dieted....

They may be. "

If Peter piper picked a peck of pickled pepper how long would he take to change a tyre

North West

They may be.

If Peter piper picked a peck of pickled pepper how long would he take to change a tyre"

² hours. Minimum.

They may be.

If Peter piper picked a peck of pickled pepper how long would he take to change a tyre"

Is he still holding the pepper ?

This for me

I quite often don’t feel welcome on threads about weight loss (my issue, not anyone else’s), but I did lose a fair amount of weight years ago.

My point being that just because someone is slim ish, doesn’t mean they always were.

We can always cherrypick the advice we think might be useful for us, and see how it works.

What’s works for one, won’t work for another.

"

My point being that just because someone is slim ish, doesn’t mean they always were.

"

So true!

Weight loss is always a simple matter until it's you that has to do it

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool/Wallasey

The celebrity fitness and workout of course!

It wouldnot worry me at all

Liverpool

"It wouldnot worry me at all"

Worry?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

It depends. The person who lost a lot of weight is only an expert in what worked for them and doesn't necessarily know the ins and outs of another person's struggles with weight loss including mental and physical barriers that can make it more difficult.

Someone who has never had issues with their weight but has studied weight loss and nutrition can have all the book smarts on the subject but no lived experience. It's how they use that information and how they express any help or advice they are asked for that counts. Especially the asked for bit.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

No. I lost a few stones a few years ago by walking a lot and eating a very low carb diet.

I couldn't do that now and it won't be suitable for everyone.

I buggered me feet and ankles with all the walking too.

Liverpool

"No. I lost a few stones a few years ago by walking a lot and eating a very low carb diet.

I buggered me feet and ankles with all the walking too."

Sorry is that a no to one or both?

By *unningFoxWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Nobody, none of them are professionals and won’t be able to help when it comes to emotional eating. After diets for years and years I did bariatric sleeve surgery and have lost 4.5stone so far and even I can’t suggest the same things I did as everyone have to find their own sustainable balance, routine etc

Tin town

"No. I lost a few stones a few years ago by walking a lot and eating a very low carb diet.

I buggered me feet and ankles with all the walking too."

Walking in stilettos?

» Add a new message to this topic