FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The Handmaid's Tale - Upsetting

The Handmaid's Tale - Upsetting

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

After getting really into the first few series,it was so different and shocking that couldn't wait for the latest episodes to start on E4.

However, although it's still an eye opener it's now having unsettling affect & depressed afterwards.

Anyone else?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol

I haven't watched it as it's not my thing, but a couple friends of mine expressed the same feeling as yourself and had to stop watching it

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

Fictional rubbish

By *inCity BluesMan  over a year ago

London

"Fictional rubbish"

Tell that to the women of Iran.

By *ncemoreroundthesunCouple  over a year ago

A town and place not in the UK

We watch the first series after reading the book and gave up. Modern TV shows are incredibly well made for the most part, well acted etc but there too bleak and depressing. See also succession, just a group of horrible people being increasingly awful.

Need some 80s and 90s nonsense mixed in to add some levity

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

Season 1 was excellent, a good representation of the book, and said pretty much all it needed to say in terms of how right wing religious societies treat women, whether that some of the current Middle Eastern states or the way that Trumps America was heading at the time, but season 2 onwards then wasn’t part of Margaret Atwood original story and felt more and more as though the repression and violence towards women was entirely designed to enrage viewers, which it did for me, So I gave up watching it after the second season. I’m aware that Atwood has recently written a sequel, The Testaments, but I haven’t read it yet.

By *lackshadow7Man  over a year ago

Toronto

"Fictional rubbish"

It usually helps if you know what you are talking about before spouting off and convincing us otherwise.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Fictional rubbish

Tell that to the women of Iran. "

And America.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"After getting really into the first few series,it was so different and shocking that couldn't wait for the latest episodes to start on E4.

However, although it's still an eye opener it's now having unsettling affect & depressed afterwards.

Anyone else?"

Is it more true to life events now?

By *urls and DressesWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere near here

I felt the same, I haven’t yet watched the latest season for this reason. I think because I can see how it isn’t fiction or could become not fiction it’s always left me unsettled

» Add a new message to this topic