FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The Tiger Tank

The Tiger Tank

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

This was the most feared tank in the second world war. How would it stand up against a chieftain or challenger tank?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

Badly against Challenger 2

.. out gunned

.. out armoured

.. out ranged

.. out of date technology

Simple!

R x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

get smashed.

though the rifled rounds of the challanger 2 are finite so it may not have any left?

By *entBarryUKMan  over a year ago

Ashford

I do love a good tank

Chelmsford

"Badly against Challenger 2

.. out gunned

.. out armoured

.. out ranged

.. out of date technology

Simple!

R x"

What about the chieftain?

By *hirling_DervishMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"This was the most feared tank in the second world war. How would it stand up against a chieftain or challenger tank?"

No comparison my friend. Tiger was a beautiful tank, but by Chieftain/Challenger dates hopelessly outdated. Tiger itself is over-loved in myth. Overengineered, more lost to breakdowns than enemy. Great gun but Germany would have done better by building and putting out it's Pz4's than building Tiger 1 & 2s.

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Who was driving it, Harry, William, Megan or even Colin the Corgi?

By *appycouple300Couple  over a year ago

North Dorset

"This was the most feared tank in the second world war. How would it stand up against a chieftain or challenger tank?"

Would get smashed by a Challenger 2. Who betide a Challenger 3 when that comes out. It’s the same as a Spitfire v F35

North Dorset

"This was the most feared tank in the second world war. How would it stand up against a chieftain or challenger tank?

No comparison my friend. Tiger was a beautiful tank, but by Chieftain/Challenger dates hopelessly outdated. Tiger itself is over-loved in myth. Overengineered, more lost to breakdowns than enemy. Great gun but Germany would have done better by building and putting out it's Pz4's than building Tiger 1 & 2s."

This exactly sums it up

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"I do love a good tank"

I've heard of the activity being called 'Having a chieftain'.

It even got some mopping up tissues named after it. Unless that was a sheer coincidence.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Two fish in a tank...one said to the other "How do you drive this thing"?

(c) The Dad Joke Co.

They all get done to mark serbu 20mm anyway

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

"This was the most feared tank in the second world war. How would it stand up against a chieftain or challenger tank?

Would get smashed by a Challenger 2. Who betide a Challenger 3 when that comes out. It’s the same as a Spitfire v F35"

It is interesting that a potential rival to CR3 is a tank being manufactured by Rheinmetal .. a German company! .. and is called the Tiger Tank! .. so we could be buying German Tiger Tanks!!

Not a very girly chat here - lol

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

wheres Thomas

Chelmsford

Reports that the UK might send 9 Challenger Tanks to the Ukraine. Not sure what 9 are supposed to accomplish

Better than nothing?

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

"Reports that the UK might send 9 Challenger Tanks to the Ukraine. Not sure what 9 are supposed to accomplish"

A hell of a lot more than zero

LvM

even a king tiger wouldn't have a chance

By *entleman of FortuneMan  over a year ago

Hull

"Two fish in a tank...one said to the other "How do you drive this thing"?

(c) The Dad Joke Co."

You drive I'll man the gun!

Another variation.

Chelmsford

"Better than nothing?"

The number is now 12 tanks but at any one time, two will be e out of service for breakdown or repair. These are not the latest model either. They will have crews barely trained. What could possibly go wrong...

The UK might as well the green goddesses with a GPMG strapped to the ladders

By *erces LetiferMan  over a year ago

Somewhere off the edge of the map... 'ere there be monsters

Poorly.

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

The chieftain was a late WWII British Tank that came into service too late to actively take part in the war. Against a TigerI it was what It was designed to go against and was superior with the 17 pounder gun more than capable. Against a Royal tiger it might struggle on a head to head shootout.

The chieftain was so good it was in deman worldwide and is still in use with some armies and was last used in the first gulf war in some capacity. Its the world's longest serving tank.

A Tiger of all types against a challenger, not a snowflakes chance in hell

Sorry I am a huge Military History Nerd

Bedfont Feltham

"Reports that the UK might send 9 Challenger Tanks to the Ukraine. Not sure what 9 are supposed to accomplish"

More as a political gesture to get Germany to let Poland release the older Leapords they are currently trying using.

However if they do get used as long as the crew is trained and there is a supply of shells and spate parts they woukd be useful for short while

Bedfont Feltham

"Better than nothing?"

A Challenger 2 is a fearsome bit if Hardware it's armour is as good and rumour says better than an Abrahams. It's very heavy though and may have problem crossing bridges.

A squadron if set up in a Hull down fixed position would make mincemeat out of T72 and T80 tanks and woukd be difficult to knock out and pretty.much impervious to hand helt a ring tank rockets.

"Reports that the UK might send 9 Challenger Tanks to the Ukraine. Not sure what 9 are supposed to accomplish

LvM"

Not necessarily. It's not as simple as "send them 9 Challenger tanks out of the UK fleet of 227".

You need to train the crews, train the maintenance personnel, give them the tooling and maintenance vehicles/tank recovery vehicles, give them the ammo, and then at the back of your head worry about the Ukrainians losing even ONE of them in any sort of intact condition to be captured by the Russians.

Not to mention, Ukrainian road infrastructure is seriously lacking in ability to support heavy armor. That's why Eastern Bloc/Russian-origin tanks are lighter than their Western counterparts.

I personally think sending the Challengers is a mistake. And it won't push the Germans to finally get off the fence and send their Leopard 2s.

By *uminsiderMKMan  over a year ago

St Austell

Tin can, meet can opener.

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

"

Not to mention, Ukrainian road infrastructure is seriously lacking in ability to support heavy armor. That's why Eastern Bloc/Russian-origin tanks are lighter than their Western counterparts. "

If they can survive on British roads, they can go anywhere...think the Ukranians are having a telethon to raise money for the UK to get our roads up to the same level as theirs

"

Not to mention, Ukrainian road infrastructure is seriously lacking in ability to support heavy armor. That's why Eastern Bloc/Russian-origin tanks are lighter than their Western counterparts.

If they can survive on British roads, they can go anywhere...think the Ukranians are having a telethon to raise money for the UK to get our roads up to the same level as theirs"

British tanks don't drive directly on British roads. If they are transported via road they do so on lowboy-trailer tank transporters. The issue isn't that Ukrainian roads are bad, but that they don't have many to begin with, those that they do have need to be kept clear for traffic going west, and nobody's seriously load-tested Ukrainian bridges yet.

Sure you could drive the Challenger 2s offroad, but there's still the river crossing issue and it is also a lot more wear and tear on the machinery before they even get to the front.

"The chieftain was a late WWII British Tank that came into service too late to actively take part in the war. Against a TigerI it was what It was designed to go against and was superior with the 17 pounder gun more than capable. Against a Royal tiger it might struggle on a head to head shootout.

The chieftain was so good it was in deman worldwide and is still in use with some armies and was last used in the first gulf war in some capacity. Its the world's longest serving tank.

Sorry I am a huge Military History Nerd "

The Chieftain??? Are you sure?

That came into service in 1967.

I think you mean the Centurion.

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

"

If they can survive on British roads, they can go anywhere...think the Ukranians are having a telethon to raise money for the UK to get our roads up to the same level as theirs

British tanks don't drive directly on British roads. If they are transported via road they do so on lowboy-trailer tank transporters. The issue isn't that Ukrainian roads are bad, but that they don't have many to begin with, those that they do have need to be kept clear for traffic going west, and nobody's seriously load-tested Ukrainian bridges yet.

Sure you could drive the Challenger 2s offroad, but there's still the river crossing issue and it is also a lot more wear and tear on the machinery before they even get to the front. "

aaaaand i think you missed the sarcasm about our roads being worse than a fucking war zone

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Old bog road

Or a drone... The era of the tank is over.

St Austell

"aaaaand i think you missed the sarcasm about our roads being worse than a fucking war zone "

You've obviously never driven on Ukrainian roads - here, hit a pothole and blow a tyre, it's a big deal...

....there, it's an everyday occurence - and that was before potholes started being replaced by shell and missile craters...

St Austell

"The era of the tank is over. "

Elon said that on Twitter - got flamed...

Hmmmmmmmmm interesting thread...

Would a 1948 VW beetle beat a 2023 VW golf in a 0 to 40 (48 VW wouldnt reach the 60 mph benchmark) challange?

"The era of the tank is over.

Elon said that on Twitter - got flamed... "

Use tanks without infantry support, tanks get blown up by ATGM infantry, the era of the tank of over... mmm yeah okay sure, totally not user error.

Chelmsford

These modern tanks do 40 mph max. It will take them 6 months to get there

By *r X46Man  over a year ago

Liverpool

The Tiger was out gunned by British and American tanks by the end of the war.

Bedfont Feltham

"The chieftain was a late WWII British Tank that came into service too late to actively take part in the war. Against a TigerI it was what It was designed to go against and was superior with the 17 pounder gun more than capable. Against a Royal tiger it might struggle on a head to head shootout.

Sorry I am a huge Military History Nerd

The Chieftain??? Are you sure?

That came into service in 1967.

I think you mean the Centurion."

Yep apologies

Bedfont Feltham

Or a drone... The era of the tank is over. "

a drone cannot occupy or hold Land infantry support by tanks can

It's not very dor the MBT just yet

By *onlywishiMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

Challengers will get used to spearhead any infantry attacks by clearing the way of anything that could cause the infantry problems! The artillery would pre hit targets to soften up the enemy!!

So if used correctly would cause total carnage !

Go to bovington and watch the tanks.

Chelmsford

And the Russians will have bazookas and render any tank useless.. might be as well push a wooden horse forward filled full of Commandos

Chelmsford

Are Tanks redundant in most modern welfare unless the west are taking on a banana republic

By *onlywishiMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

No they aren’t?

Yes there are munitions that can take any vehicles out on the battlefield hazard of war but if used correctly can support the infantry which going forward are going to have to take fortified positions!

So having tanks that can quickly take out major obstacles is a big asset?

By *asterR and slut mayaMan  over a year ago

Bradford

"Two fish in a tank...one said to the other "How do you drive this thing"?

(c) The Dad Joke Co."

Every time I see you post I do envy your beard mines all white .

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

How would a tiger tank fare against a dalek?? Essentially a one person ( alien). Tank!! Discuss!!

"How would a tiger tank fare against a dalek?? Essentially a one person ( alien). Tank!! Discuss!! "

No discussion needed. The Tiger Tank just needs to go up some stairs to foil the Dalek.

Most feared until late in the war when the Sherman Firefly was introduced capable of knocking out a Tiger at range.

Against the rifled high velocity gun and chobham armour on a Challenger the Tiger is hugely outclassed.

"Are Tanks redundant in most modern welfare unless the west are taking on a banana republic"
No it how they are used that matters. Russia failed to learn lessons. Tanks are supported by infantry. Especially in a urban environment.

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

"How would a tiger tank fare against a dalek?? Essentially a one person ( alien). Tank!! Discuss!!

No discussion needed. The Tiger Tank just needs to go up some stairs to foil the Dalek.

"

Pmsl - the new ones can fly - daleks not tanks…. But i think if you throw a coat over the eye…and spill coffee down the back… job done!!

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

I think they would do quite well against the Tigers unless they fired paint instead of APR like in Kelly's Heroes.

"I think they would do quite well against the Tigers unless they fired paint instead of APR like in Kelly's Heroes."
lol Kelly's heros. My husband obsessed with that movie.

"I think they would do quite well against the Tigers unless they fired paint instead of APR like in Kelly's Heroes. lol Kelly's heros. My husband obsessed with that movie."

I based my whole army career on Oddball.

No wonder i never got promoted

By *irginLad32Man  over a year ago

Bellingham

It looked great though. It was up there with the Panzer IV.

Or the Challenger 2.

Armored vehicles don't have the design look anymore. They aren't as fierce.

By *lecom1Couple  over a year ago

Stornoway

Love the names they give to tanks, tiger, Panther, challenger , chieftain, leopard but American tanks don't have cool names. Abrams? Sherman? Ok maybe Patton is cool. Russian tanks, pretty awesome but only numbers.

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

"I think they would do quite well against the Tigers unless they fired paint instead of APR like in Kelly's Heroes. lol Kelly's heros. My husband obsessed with that movie.

I based my whole army career on Oddball.

No wonder i never got promoted "

The “Tiger” tanks used in the film were actually Russian T-34 tanks which had been specially modified to look like Tiger tanks. This is apparent when you look at the suspension of the tanks - T-34s used a modified Christie suspension, whereas the Tigers' wheels were much more elaborate.

Chelmsford

In six weeks we shall learn of the capability of the western tanks are just propaganda.

No doubt they will have heavy losses

"Love the names they give to tanks, tiger, Panther, challenger , chieftain, leopard but American tanks don't have cool names. Abrams? Sherman? Ok maybe Patton is cool. Russian tanks, pretty awesome but only numbers. "

All British main battle tanks start with a C.

Churchil

Cromwell

Comet

Crusader

Centurion

Conquerer

Chieftain

Challenger

"Love the names they give to tanks, tiger, Panther, challenger , chieftain, leopard but American tanks don't have cool names. Abrams? Sherman? Ok maybe Patton is cool. Russian tanks, pretty awesome but only numbers. "
American tanks are named after famous generals. Our helicopters are named after American Indian tribes.

"Love the names they give to tanks, tiger, Panther, challenger , chieftain, leopard but American tanks don't have cool names. Abrams? Sherman? Ok maybe Patton is cool. Russian tanks, pretty awesome but only numbers. American tanks are named after famous generals. Our helicopters are named after American Indian tribes."

Our helicopters were a mix

Some named after wildcats. Lynx, Gazelle and Puma. Oh, and the Wildcat too.

Then others:

The Merlin

The Scout (old)

Wessex (old)

Sea King

By *ottom charlieMan  over a year ago

washington

it was the most feared at the start of ww2 but soon got surpassed by other german tanks and the t 34 comparing a ww2 tiger to modern tanks is a bit like comparing a musket and a as80 rifle

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Even the very best WW2 tanks would stand minimal chance against any modern tank or armoured vehicle.

Tanks from different eras cannot really be compared.

The Leopard 2 is reputedly the best today, but the modern Korean and Israeli tanks are exceptionally good, in design, etc.

Tanks are now a compromise between weight, speed and firepower; but the main mistake that the German army made during WW2 was to have superbly designed and manufactured tanks but the Russians focused on a massive number of T-34s, that were crude but good enough.

British tanks are very good, but the British army has been starved of money for decades; it has been effectively emasculated.

Chelmsford

"Love the names they give to tanks, tiger, Panther, challenger , chieftain, leopard but American tanks don't have cool names. Abrams? Sherman? Ok maybe Patton is cool. Russian tanks, pretty awesome but only numbers.

All British main battle tanks start with a C.

Churchil

Cromwell

Comet

Crusader

Centurion

Conquerer

Chieftain

Challenger"

Crap ?

Chelmsford

We are going to see..

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

"All British main battle tanks start with a C.

Churchil

Cromwell

Comet

Crusader

Centurion

Conquerer

Chieftain

Challenger"

Except when they're called Matilda.

There's the Valentine and Bishop though both are more tank destroyer and support gun.

By *wcdfor2TV/TS  over a year ago

SKELMERSDALE

Sexton

"All British main battle tanks start with a C.

Churchil

Cromwell

Comet

Crusader

Centurion

Conquerer

Chieftain

Challenger

Except when they're called Matilda.

There's the Valentine and Bishop though both are more tank destroyer and support gun."

Yep, that's why i described them as main battle tanks

The Bishop was a self propelled gun on a Valentine chassis.

And the Valentines and Matildas werent considered heavy tanks.

But...i think the Valentine tank was the most widely used??

Chelmsford

Tom fears the Leopards and Challengers will get taken out easily..

Watch this space..

"Tom fears the Leopards and Challengers will get taken out easily..

Watch this space.. "

The chally has a built in kettle for tea. Ukrainian crews can be on combat maneuvers longer. The Russians be too d*unk to notice.

Newry Down

The Tiger tank was simply the product of a faulty and dysfunctional decision making process that the German military suffered from prior to and during the second world war; until they were defeated.

The Tiger Tank was the historical equivalent of the British HS2: misguided vanity project the finance for which should have been spread more thinly over the entire transport system within the UK !

"The Tiger tank was simply the product of a faulty and dysfunctional decision making process that the German military suffered from prior to and during the second world war; until they were defeated.

The Tiger Tank was the historical equivalent of the British HS2: misguided vanity project the finance for which should have been spread more thinly over the entire transport system within the UK !"

and like Russian T-14 Armada.

Newry Down

What you probably wish to refer to is the new T-14 ArmaTa MBT.

According to wester media sources, the Russians have been experiencing a lot of problems with this vehicle

Problems with the ERT, that is Explosive Reactive Armour, has been evident, and the Armata is very vulnerable to modern anti tank weapons, such as the Javelin that strike from above where the armour is thinnest.

Furthermore, the storage facilities of the Armata are crude and outdated, causing the Armata tanks to brew up, similar to the scenario that pertained in Sherman tanks during WW2.

American tanks and Leopard tanks too, have a system that offers better safety for their crews: the internally stored shells can explode outwards, not burn the crews to death.

The Russian Armata has not been a design not a production success story for the Russian army, that is badly managed and not well resourced.

This may precipitate a scenario whereby extensive conventional defeats may cause Putin to execute a nuclear option!

The British developed the Centurion to deal with the Tiger threat but it arrived just too late to see service during the war however, it was the best tank of its era and is actually still in service with the South African army today, though they call it the Olifant. Looks different due to the add on armour but its still a good old Centurion at heart.

"The British developed the Centurion to deal with the Tiger threat but it arrived just too late to see service during the war however, it was the best tank of its era and is actually still in service with the South African army today, though they call it the Olifant. Looks different due to the add on armour but its still a good old Centurion at heart."

The Centurion was brilliant, i think. And so many countries world wide used it.

Its still in use in the middle east too.

And some countries have retired the guns/turrets, and coverted the chassis or hulls

Chelmsford

Are there any ex tank crew on here

By *ensualbicockMan  over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

The Tiger Tank while the most feared tank of ww2 was like all German equipment and was massively over engineered. It wouldn't last 2 mins today

Chelmsford

How would it get on against the WW2 panzers ?

By *KG12Couple  over a year ago

Burnley

Interesting to read this thread. Seems to be a lot of passion and knowledge on tanks and military in general.

By *trideMan  over a year ago

Plymouth

Who has the best tanks, or any other weapons, is purely academic. The lunatic politicians will inevitably supply too few, too late.

As usual.

And as a result, the unfortunate Ukrainians soldiers will die en masse.

Newry Down

The IDF Merkava is a very interesting concept with the engine in front, but there are some military strategists who opine that the era of the tank is rapidly coming to an end.

Tanka from far eastern nations such as China and Korea are highly complex.

But overall the latest version of the Leopard is high praised as are the US vehicles.

However, the Leopard tanks that will be going to the Ukraine will be mothballed mark1 versions that are less sophisticated and probably less reliable too

Beggars cannot be choosers

Oh tank chats on you tube great stuff..

I'm really interested in these new south Korea tanks that are very similar to the leopard tank supposed to be better Poland have bought loads,

"The IDF Merkava is a very interesting concept with the engine in front, but there are some military strategists who opine that the era of the tank is rapidly coming to an end.

But overall the latest version of the Leopard is high praised as are the US vehicles.

However, the Leopard tanks that will be going to the Ukraine will be mothballed mark1 versions that are less sophisticated and probably less reliable too

"

The Merkava certainly is an interesting concept. What version are they on now...4?

Its certainly developed alot in the last 40yrs.

The Leopard 1 was phased out in the early 90's.

They were very highly regarded and a lot of European countries bought into them.

I wonder how they will fair against T-84's, T-90's and T-14's?

I thought Germany had approved the deployment of 80 Leopard 2's to the Ukraine?

Including 14 of their own.

I could be wrong

I think Spain sending 40 leopard 2s Denmark sending some

Newry Down

There is a hell of a lot of contradictory info' about; I suspect the older mothballed Leopards will be sent to Zelensky.

Interestingly, the tanks used in the Battle of the Bulge film were actually American tanks, and the topography was totally wrong: the Ardennes is a heavily forested area with narrow tracks, not wide open spaces.

The Russians won the tank battle at Kursk in WW2; but this time it could be very different. Russian military leadership is now abysmal; General Zhukov was a master strategist.

"The IDF Merkava is a very interesting concept with the engine in front, but there are some military strategists who opine that the era of the tank is rapidly coming to an end.

The Merkava certainly is an interesting concept. What version are they on now...4?

They were very highly regarded and a lot of European countries bought into them.

"

The merkava is a lovely tank. The Israelis went armour protection putting the engine in the front. Better crew survival.

The merkava is a lovely tank. The Israelis went armour protection putting the engine in the front. Better crew survival.

"

...and a MBT that can carry up to 6 extra troops?? Unheard of before

"There is a hell of a lot of contradictory info' about; I suspect the older mothballed Leopards will be sent to Zelensky.

Interestingly, the tanks used in the Battle of the Bulge film were actually American tanks, and the topography was totally wrong: the Ardennes is a heavily forested area with narrow tracks, not wide open spaces.

The Russians won the tank battle at Kursk in WW2; but this time it could be very different. Russian military leadership is now abysmal; General Zhukov was a master strategist."

Go read Valery Gerasimov's Doctrine he published it it's currently playing out in Ukraine since he was put in charge.

Sad to say we're gonna see one hell of a tank battle in the next few months

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

Southern Wales

Are our tanks any good? Keep seeing news headlines that British military equipment is out of date but I wouldn’t know how true that is.

Newry Down

Putin is such a malignant narcissist that if he does lose the tank battle, and his missiles are shot down he may progress to nuclear weapons of a tactical type initially; and the ICBMs.

We are now living in very dangerous times; probably the first time since the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Russian military has to be defeated with dignity not pulverised; they must be allowed to withdraw.

By *agerMorganMan  over a year ago

Canvey Island

"Are our tanks any good? Keep seeing news headlines that British military equipment is out of date but I wouldn’t know how true that is."

Chally 2 is still a formidable tank, one of the best out there.

The only problem the Ukrainians will have using it is that the American Abrams and the German Leopard use a smooth barrel gun, where ours are rifled for accuracy and range, so requires different ammunition.

"Are our tanks any good? Keep seeing news headlines that British military equipment is out of date but I wouldn’t know how true that is.

Chally 2 is still a formidable tank, one of the best out there.

The only problem the Ukrainians will have using it is that the American Abrams and the German Leopard use a smooth barrel gun, where ours are rifled for accuracy and range, so requires different ammunition. "

The Challenger 3 is going to be smooth bore.

"Putin is such a malignant narcissist that if he does lose the tank battle, and his missiles are shot down he may progress to nuclear weapons of a tactical type initially; and the ICBMs.

We are now living in very dangerous times; probably the first time since the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Russian military has to be defeated with dignity not pulverised; they must be allowed to withdraw. "

That's the point yes Russia will gain ground. They have the numbers. Last year Ukraine defended deep. Attriting them every chance they had. You will see it again. Russia will gain but Ukraine will make those gains costly. Putin uses a nuke NATO will get involved.

"Putin is such a malignant narcissist that if he does lose the tank battle, and his missiles are shot down he may progress to nuclear weapons of a tactical type initially; and the ICBMs.

Russian military has to be defeated with dignity not pulverised; they must be allowed to withdraw. That's the point yes Russia will gain ground. They have the numbers. Last year Ukraine defended deep. Attriting them every chance they had. You will see it again. Russia will gain but Ukraine will make those gains costly. Putin uses a nuke NATO will get involved."

It would take Nato a week to completely destroy every bit of russian military equipment.

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

I use to put a tiger in my tank

Chelmsford

This is getting serious guys..

Newry Down

"This is getting serious guys.. "

The United Nations Gen Sec is firmly of the opinion that the Ukraine is going to inspire other conflicts

These are very dangerous times; the supply of tanks missiles planes defence systems training, etc., is taking this beyond a proxy war.

I know a guy in Belfast who believes the Thales factory on Montgomery Road will be a target and has purchased a suit that protects him from fallout and also an extremely expensive mask. This guy is a senior civil servant.

Chelmsford

"This is getting serious guys..

The United Nations Gen Sec is firmly of the opinion that the Ukraine is going to inspire other conflicts

These are very dangerous times; the supply of tanks missiles planes defence systems training, etc., is taking this beyond a proxy war.

I know a guy in Belfast who believes the Thales factory on Montgomery Road will be a target and has purchased a suit that protects him from fallout and also an extremely expensive mask. This guy is a senior civil servant.

"

Is the suit made of foil ?

Newry Down

He bought the suit from a Preppers Shop in England; it is the Real McCoy; but I have not yet seen it.

The mask and filters cost £700 sterling. This guy is not a crackpot;

he is very well connected in government circles.

"This is getting serious guys..

Is the suit made of foil ?"

Lol if it's a MOPP suit take it back he not going to survive anyways.

"He bought the suit from a Preppers Shop in England; it is the Real McCoy; but I have not yet seen it.

he is very well connected in government circles."

Newsflash...he is a paranoid crackpot.

If he was so well connected, they'd issue him that kit.

Chelmsford

"He bought the suit from a Preppers Shop in England; it is the Real McCoy; but I have not yet seen it.

Well as my most MPs are crackpots.....

By *xposedInTheSunCouple  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

"American tanks don't have cool names. Abrams? Sherman? "

The Americans actually called the Sherman the M4 (even though it wouldn't go all the way to Wales).

It was the British army that came up with the Sherman name, and the name caught on.

"American tanks don't have cool names. Abrams? Sherman?

The Americans actually called the Sherman the M4 (even though it wouldn't go all the way to Wales).

It was the British army that came up with the Sherman name, and the name caught on."

The tank was named after American Civil War commander William Tecumseh Sherman.

Lol I trained in MOPP 4 gear. I would rather die then wear that again for years.

By *ir SupremacyMan  over a year ago

Bolton

The tiger main armament would have no effect on the challenger two protective armour. I served two tours in Iraq and the Challenger 2 is quite impressive I think it weighs almost 70 tonnes fully armoured.

"The tiger main armament would have no effect on the challenger two protective armour. I served two tours in Iraq and the Challenger 2 is quite impressive I think it weighs almost 70 tonnes fully armoured. "
Yes the Chobham armor is very effective. Wonder if Ukraine getting that version of Challenger.

Chelmsford

"The tiger main armament would have no effect on the challenger two protective armour. I served two tours in Iraq and the Challenger 2 is quite impressive I think it weighs almost 70 tonnes fully armoured. "

It's one thing putting tanks in Iraq but quote another to put them up against the Ruskies

he is very well connected in government circles. Lol I trained in MOPP 4 gear. I would rather die then wear that again for years."

Same here with the British Mk4 noddy suits and respirators.

DKP1 and DKP2...dot and dab.

Eating, drinking, shitting, sleeping and fighting in full NBC conditions.

Never again

Newry Down

The crews of modern tanks with their ERA-explosive reactive armour, that was discovered serendipitously must feel invulnerable, but shaped copper charges are still a real threat.

"The tiger main armament would have no effect on the challenger two protective armour. I served two tours in Iraq and the Challenger 2 is quite impressive I think it weighs almost 70 tonnes fully armoured.

It's one thing putting tanks in Iraq but quote another to put them up against the Ruskies "

Iraq had the same tanks at the time and more experience than Russian crews. They fought Iran. What is interesting to note that during the gulf war the Bradley ifv had a better tank kill ratio then the Abrams. Ukraine getting 50 of them.

Bolton

Whatever the environment the Challenger tank is very formidable with a well trained crew I wouldn't want to come up against it .Very interested to see if the British Army supply the Dorchester armour variant as when I served in forces that version of Armour was classed as official secret act .Not sure now though.

"Whatever the environment the Challenger tank is very formidable with a well trained crew I wouldn't want to come up against it .Very interested to see if the British Army supply the Dorchester armour variant as when I served in forces that version of Armour was classed as official secret act .Not sure now though. "
It also has a tea kettle .

Bolton

Ha ha the old BV I loved it or Boiling vessel as its known .Can't beat a great cup of tea the British Army runs on it ha ha x

"Whatever the environment the Challenger tank is very formidable with a well trained crew I wouldn't want to come up against it .Very interested to see if the British Army supply the Dorchester armour variant as when I served in forces that version of Armour was classed as official secret act .Not sure now though. It also has a tea kettle . "

Priorities, my colonial friend...Priorities.

War doesnt need to be uncivilised, you know.

What is strange about this conflict. Russia hasn't gained air superiority. It's critical aspect of combined arms.

Bolton

Probably because the west have supplied the Ukraine with state of the art air defence I expect maybe im no expert though .

"Whatever the environment the Challenger tank is very formidable with a well trained crew I wouldn't want to come up against it .Very interested to see if the British Army supply the Dorchester armour variant as when I served in forces that version of Armour was classed as official secret act .Not sure now though. It also has a tea kettle .

War doesnt need to be uncivilised, you know."

Lol my husband and I still get reminded on July 4th by our UK brothers and sisters. It's great they always text or send pics calling us traitors to the crown. It's hilarious.

"Whatever the environment the Challenger tank is very formidable with a well trained crew I wouldn't want to come up against it .Very interested to see if the British Army supply the Dorchester armour variant as when I served in forces that version of Armour was classed as official secret act .Not sure now though. It also has a tea kettle .

War doesnt need to be uncivilised, you know. Lol my husband and I still get reminded on July 4th by our UK brothers and sisters. It's great they always text or send pics calling us traitors to the crown. It's hilarious. "

We've never forgiven you heathens for throwing all our tea into Boston Harbour

Bolton

Blu1986 lol I had to stand and salute the US flag on 4th July in Afghanistan as I was on a US camp ha ha the irony.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Probably because the west have supplied the Ukraine with state of the art air defence I expect maybe im no expert though ."

Can I just say, what a wholly appropriate username to make this comment

Not a spoonerism but a Fabberism

Bolton

Kinky Couple ha ha thank you xx

War doesnt need to be uncivilised, you know. Lol my husband and I still get reminded on July 4th by our UK brothers and sisters. It's great they always text or send pics calling us traitors to the crown. It's hilarious.

We've never forgiven you heathens for throwing all our tea into Boston Harbour "

The camaraderie forms bonds some people can't fathom. But I have to Admit the Brits are great at sarcasm. It was a wonderful time in a sense I do miss it sometimes. Everyone getting along.

War doesnt need to be uncivilised, you know. Lol my husband and I still get reminded on July 4th by our UK brothers and sisters. It's great they always text or send pics calling us traitors to the crown. It's hilarious.

We've never forgiven you heathens for throwing all our tea into Boston Harbour The camaraderie forms bonds some people can't fathom. But I have to Admit the Brits are great at sarcasm. It was a wonderful time in a sense I do miss it sometimes. Everyone getting along. "

and no offense to the "Geordie" folks. I would have to say the accent was similar to our Louisiana accent. People be like WTF did they just say over comms.

We've never forgiven you heathens for throwing all our tea into Boston Harbour The camaraderie forms bonds some people can't fathom. But I have to Admit the Brits are great at sarcasm. It was a wonderful time in a sense I do miss it sometimes. Everyone getting along. "

My Battalion spent 2months at Fort Lewis....and did numerous live firing exercises on Yakima Ranges.

What a great time that was.

And trained with some lads from the 82nd and USMC on an advanced jungle course in Brunei in 1996.

I think they stuggled with some of our humour and antics

"Blu1986 lol I had to stand and salute the US flag on 4th July in Afghanistan as I was on a US camp ha ha the irony. "
lol its respect for one another. I had to do a change of command from American to British. Talk about confusion.

We've never forgiven you heathens for throwing all our tea into Boston Harbour The camaraderie forms bonds some people can't fathom. But I have to Admit the Brits are great at sarcasm. It was a wonderful time in a sense I do miss it sometimes. Everyone getting along.

My Battalion spent 2months at Fort Lewis....and did numerous live firing exercises on Yakima Ranges.

And trained with some lads from the 82nd and USMC on an advanced jungle course in Brunei in 1996.

"

I was 82nd my husband is retired 82nd and 101.

We've never forgiven you heathens for throwing all our tea into Boston Harbour The camaraderie forms bonds some people can't fathom. But I have to Admit the Brits are great at sarcasm. It was a wonderful time in a sense I do miss it sometimes. Everyone getting along.

I was 82nd my husband is retired 82nd and 101. "

it's a dry humor it took awhile for us to get the hilarity.

I was 82nd my husband is retired 82nd and 101. "

Ill have to dig out the course photo.

It was a SAS run BritMil course, but had quite a few US Troops on it too.

I was 82nd my husband is retired 82nd and 101.

Ill have to dig out the course photo.

It was a SAS run BritMil course, but had quite a few US Troops on it too."

My husband's son was 2ID in Korea and Afghanistan. He got injured in Afghanistan when his striker got hit. He was on CNN and fox during recovery at lewis/ McCord.

By *entleman jim 2000Man  over a year ago

gamlingay

Sorry I am a huge Military History Nerd "

Sorry Mitary Nerd.... I think you mean Centurion, not Chieftain.

Lol I ramble. But back to tanks. Russian tanks from the gulf war to now have been the same basic concept. Nothing changed except reactive armor. The chally Abraham and leopard are far superior even the ifvs being sent can take on a Russian mbt.

"Lol I ramble. But back to tanks. Russian tanks from the gulf war to now have been the same basic concept. Nothing changed except reactive armor. The chally Abraham and leopard are far superior even the ifvs being sent can take on a Russian mbt."

From what ive read, the most common Russian tank in the Ukraine is the T-72.

And also quite a few T-90's.

I dont think they've deployed any T-14's yet...have they??

If you love to truly follow the conflict. I suggest ISW, funker530 , and oryx.

"Lol I ramble. But back to tanks. Russian tanks from the gulf war to now have been the same basic concept. Nothing changed except reactive armor. The chally Abraham and leopard are far superior even the ifvs being sent can take on a Russian mbt."

I have to admit, the HIMARS rocket launcher is an impressive bit of kit.

A game changer too

"If you love to truly follow the conflict. I suggest ISW, funker530 , and oryx. "

I wouldn't say i love it....but i certainly like to keep up to date with events out there.

And a lot of my old mob send me Funker530 links.

"Lol I ramble. But back to tanks. Russian tanks from the gulf war to now have been the same basic concept. Nothing changed except reactive armor. The chally Abraham and leopard are far superior even the ifvs being sent can take on a Russian mbt.

I dont think they've deployed any T-14's yet...have they?? "

T 14 a paper tiger so was the Russian terminator. There is a confirmed kill for the terminator. The 14 hasn't been fielded yet. It's basically the Russian version of Germanys tiger in WW2 to few to effect the outcome.

"If you love to truly follow the conflict. I suggest ISW, funker530 , and oryx.

I wouldn't say i love it....but i certainly like to keep up to date with events out there.

"

Lol it's not a love we just do not follow mainstream. I do not want any military suffering but... The blunders by the Russians make you go WTF.

Lol it's not a love we just do not follow mainstream. I do not want any military suffering but... The blunders by the Russians make you go WTF."

Yes, in some of the footage, the tactics and discipline seem non existent.

Very poor leadership too.

"Lol I ramble. But back to tanks. Russian tanks from the gulf war to now have been the same basic concept. Nothing changed except reactive armor. The chally Abraham and leopard are far superior even the ifvs being sent can take on a Russian mbt.

I dont think they've deployed any T-14's yet...have they?? T 14 a paper tiger so was the Russian terminator. There is a confirmed kill for the terminator. The 14 hasn't been fielded yet. It's basically the Russian version of Germanys tiger in WW2 to few to effect the outcome. "

Just reading up on it. Im obviously out of date with my intel.

I didnt realise construction was cancelled in 2018.

They were meant to be in service by 2020.

I bet the Russian would love to get their hands on a Leopard 2, or an Abrams or Challenger

Lol it's not a love we just do not follow mainstream. I do not want any military suffering but... The blunders by the Russians make you go WTF.

Very poor leadership too."

They just throw bodies. Not caring. Typical doctrine nothing learned from past conflicts. Jesus well a taught to have overhead cover. They letting those poor souls without anything. It's a meat grinder. Typical Russian tactics.

Very poor leadership too."

The Russians tactics have been and still are human waves. Barbaric, I feel sorry for some of them

Very poor leadership too. They just throw bodies. Not caring. Typical doctrine nothing learned from past conflicts. Jesus well a taught to have overhead cover. They letting those poor souls without anything. It's a meat grinder. Typical Russian tactics."

Yes, they certainly have a history of it.

They know they can afford the losses..

Very poor leadership too. They just throw bodies. Not caring. Typical doctrine nothing learned from past conflicts. Jesus well a taught to have overhead cover. They letting those poor souls without anything. It's a meat grinder. Typical Russian tactics."

I not worried about Ukraine the defended deep before the will do it again. Attrit the Russians battle strategy. Make them pay for every meter of ground. Sad to say on the losses humanly losses that they will incur but this was a fight they chose knowing full well how the west would counter it.

Sorry again I rambled. It just hard for some people to process that I am a female. No offense to my sister's we just can't STFU sometimes.

Very poor leadership too. They just throw bodies. Not caring. Typical doctrine nothing learned from past conflicts. Jesus well a taught to have overhead cover. They letting those poor souls without anything. It's a meat grinder. Typical Russian tactics. I not worried about Ukraine the defended deep before the will do it again. Attrit the Russians battle strategy. Make them pay for every meter of ground. Sad to say on the losses humanly losses that they will incur but this was a fight they chose knowing full well how the west would counter it. "

It is a worry. I think most people accept Putin is unstable....he sees Ukraine as his Stalingrad.

And its a concern how he will escalate things.

Whats the old saying? One person defending his home, is worth two attacking it?

It is the poor conscripts/reservists paying for Putins narcissism with their lives

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Very poor leadership too. They just throw bodies. Not caring. Typical doctrine nothing learned from past conflicts. Jesus well a taught to have overhead cover. They letting those poor souls without anything. It's a meat grinder. Typical Russian tactics. I not worried about Ukraine the defended deep before the will do it again. Attrit the Russians battle strategy. Make them pay for every meter of ground. Sad to say on the losses humanly losses that they will incur but this was a fight they chose knowing full well how the west would counter it.

It is a worry. I think most people accept Putin is unstable....he sees Ukraine as his Stalingrad.

It is the poor conscripts/reservists paying for Putins narcissism with their lives"

Successive Russian Governments have placed little value on the lives of its citizens, sadly.

Very poor leadership too. They just throw bodies. Not caring. Typical doctrine nothing learned from past conflicts. Jesus well a taught to have overhead cover. They letting those poor souls without anything. It's a meat grinder. Typical Russian tactics. I not worried about Ukraine the defended deep before the will do it again. Attrit the Russians battle strategy. Make them pay for every meter of ground. Sad to say on the losses humanly losses that they will incur but this was a fight they chose knowing full well how the west would counter it.

It is the poor conscripts/reservists paying for Putins narcissism with their lives

Successive Russian Governments have placed little value on the lives of its citizens, sadly. "

Absolutely.

It is the poor conscripts/reservists paying for Putins narcissism with their lives"

I just amazed how Poland is restraining themselves. If it the conflict comes to close to their borders they going to act.

By *xposedInTheSunCouple  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

"The tank was named after American Civil War commander William Tecumseh Sherman. "

As we're the Lee and Grant tanks.

All three were given those names by the British Army because they were made in the US. The US just called them M3 and M4 - the US appears to have had a policy of naming their tanks after major UK roads...

By *lynJMan  over a year ago

Morden

"The tank was named after American Civil War commander William Tecumseh Sherman.

All three were given those names by the British Army because they were made in the US. The US just called them M3 and M4 - the US appears to have had a policy of naming their tanks after major UK roads..."

Since the UK roads weren't built until after WW2, perhaps the roads were named after the tanks.

"The tank was named after American Civil War commander William Tecumseh Sherman.

All three were given those names by the British Army because they were made in the US. The US just called them M3 and M4 - the US appears to have had a policy of naming their tanks after major UK roads..."

M3 was the Stuart tank. They were built here near me there is a museum in Berwick Pennsylvania.

Chelmsford

This is a fascinating thread embossed with real life experts who have actually done the job. It's going to be the mother of all tank battles and gaming companies will surely develop new wargames based on this.

Most are backing the Abraham's but they are tricky to maintain. The Panther 1 will have the numbers and the Challenger is surely too few in numbers ....

This will decide if the days of the tank are over...

Always US army history. My grandfather and my father both served. I just would just sit and listen to them and their friends.

North Dorset

"Reports that the UK might send 9 Challenger Tanks to the Ukraine. Not sure what 9 are supposed to accomplish

LvM

Not necessarily. It's not as simple as "send them 9 Challenger tanks out of the UK fleet of 227".

You need to train the crews, train the maintenance personnel, give them the tooling and maintenance vehicles/tank recovery vehicles, give them the ammo, and then at the back of your head worry about the Ukrainians losing even ONE of them in any sort of intact condition to be captured by the Russians.

I personally think sending the Challengers is a mistake. And it won't push the Germans to finally get off the fence and send their Leopard 2s. "

Aged like mikk

Chelmsford

The challenger apparently has a kettle to make the tea and coffee. Do the other tanks have anything to make hot drinks

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"The challenger apparently has a kettle to make the tea and coffee. Do the other tanks have anything to make hot drinks"

Pretty much all of ours including armoured personnel carriers etc had a 'BV', think it stands for boiling vessel but happy to be corrected..

Essentially a square box wired in, with a heating element which boiled water or tins of compo could be immersed to warm..

Chelmsford

"The challenger apparently has a kettle to make the tea and coffee. Do the other tanks have anything to make hot drinks

Pretty much all of ours including armoured personnel carriers etc had a 'BV', think it stands for boiling vessel but happy to be corrected..

Essentially a square box wired in, with a heating element which boiled water or tins of compo could be immersed to warm.."

The American tanks are much heavier and probably have a vending machine for coffee and cola etc.

One of my favourite tanks of all time, and the sound that V12 makes! Does anyone watch tank chats on the tank museum’s yoochoob? K

"The challenger apparently has a kettle to make the tea and coffee. Do the other tanks have anything to make hot drinks

Essentially a square box wired in, with a heating element which boiled water or tins of compo could be immersed to warm..

The American tanks are much heavier and probably have a vending machine for coffee and cola etc. "

MREs and if the crews want steak they just cook it on the exhaust.

Chelmsford

The American tanks are much heavier and probably have a vending machine for coffee and cola etc. MREs and if the crews want steak they just cook it on the exhaust. "

I had the best ever T bone steak cooked over charcoal by an American ...

They know how to cook meat those boys..

The American tanks are much heavier and probably have a vending machine for coffee and cola etc. MREs and if the crews want steak they just cook it on the exhaust.

I had the best ever T bone steak cooked over charcoal by an American ...

They know how to cook meat those boys.."

Lol my husband will spend 18 hours cooking a brisket.I on the other hand get annoyed waiting on boiling water.

By *smith46Man  over a year ago

Wrexham

The Panzer VIII Maus may have stood up to modern tanks a bit better.

It's armour was from 7.5 to 9.8 inches thick and weighed 188 tons.

By *cottish guy 555Man  over a year ago

London

We've never forgiven you heathens for throwing all our tea into Boston Harbour "

Wasn't it their tea as they had already paid for it?

"One of my favourite tanks of all time, and the sound that V12 makes! Does anyone watch tank chats on the tank museum’s yoochoob? K"

I do .....Love the tanks of ww2

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

"This is a fascinating thread embossed with real life experts who have actually done the job. It's going to be the mother of all tank battles and gaming companies will surely develop new wargames based on this.

Most are backing the Abraham's but they are tricky to maintain. The Panther 1 will have the numbers and the Challenger is surely too few in numbers ....

This will decide if the days of the tank are over..."

No they wont as I already play one and its biased towards the russian/german tanks

you do get an odd tank that is british and american that is lethal against the other tanks.

Then that is superceeded by newer tanks that rips yours to shreds.

The game is called WOT ( world of tanks )

As goes for the tiger tank it failed itself in war too many failures,

The tank was lethal and the british and american tanks was no match to it and really poor armour.

kursk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMDWWFKQgLQ

armour on it

tiger 231

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raAx57MHH7k

how to kill a tiger with tech and mechanical failures on the tiger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzSHLkpGdOs

Chelmsford

So to be fair...

In it's day..

The Tiger Tank was king

"So to be fair...

In it's day..

The Tiger Tank was king "

It was King because of it's numbers..the King Tiger "Tiger 2" was more formidable tank but there were few of them. Probably the best all round German tank of ww2 was the Panther

Chelmsford

"So to be fair...

In it's day..

The Tiger Tank was king

It was King because of it's numbers..the King Tiger "Tiger 2" was more formidable tank but there were few of them. Probably the best all round German tank of ww2 was the Panther "

But one on one does the Tiger win?

"So to be fair...

In it's day..

The Tiger Tank was king

It was King because of it's numbers..the King Tiger "Tiger 2" was more formidable tank but there were few of them. Probably the best all round German tank of ww2 was the Panther

But one on one does the Tiger win?"

Not against a modern tank no

Chelmsford

"So to be fair...

In it's day..

The Tiger Tank was king

Not against a modern tank no "

Up close ,?

Newry Down

In theory, the T-14 Armata is theoretically a very good tank, in that the crew is isolated from the turret, but there are too few of them and quality is very poor.

The NATO tanks are much better and there are lots of them; they are very reliable.

"In theory, the T-14 Armata is theoretically a very good tank, in that the crew is isolated from the turret, but there are too few of them and quality is very poor.

The NATO tanks are much better and there are lots of them; they are very reliable."

T 14 in theory on us supposed be next generation. But in reality it isn't. Just like Hypersonic missles everyone is fearing they saying they unstoppable. A f 16 in the 1980s shot down a satellite going that speed.

"So to be fair...

In it's day..

The Tiger Tank was king

Not against a modern tank no

Up close ,?"

No

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

alot of the american tank films are plain B.S

they also imply other things into the story always tryong to rewrite history.

im not a lover of war films but they are these.

tankers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml02iaS7soM

t34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5BlybdjhVg

tanks for stalin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vT7WgX3DO0