FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What do you miss ?

What do you miss ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

In October last year I was diagnosed with non Hodgkin’s lymphoma. As you can imagine it was a bit of a shock. As my chemo started I was made aware that my immune system may never be as good as it once was and I would need to avoid crowded places initially due to the increased risk of infection. I cancelled my gym membership with the idea to train more outside. I don’t do cold well and am quite a fair weather kind of person. Needless to say my training frequency tailed off dramatically.

Anyway roll forward 3 months and 3 chemo cycles later and life is good. I have responded surprisingly well to the treatment and life has pretty much been ‘as normal’. I have just reactivated my membership today and plan to go for my first gym session later today in about 4 months. Will aim for a 5km treadmill run.

To be honest I can’t wait as I really really missed that aspect of my life.

Is there anything you used to do that you don’t do so much now or maybe not at all that you really want to get back into or start up again ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uicy 2020Woman  over a year ago

London

Thats fantastic news that you are responding well to treatment and life is getting back to normal for you. Super happy for you x

Ive always been an avid reader, but stopped in lockdown. I used to read mainly while i commuted, sometimes in bed too. Was wfh during lockdown so no commuting, and i just stopped reading. I have tried to get back into it, and did manage to read 1 book at the end of last year, but just dont feel like it to be honest. Hoping i will get back to it as i do miss it. X

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I'll know it when I find it.

Oh that's fantastic OP, I'm sure you're going to have a brilliant time and I hope you go from strength to strength.

I miss playing the violin, an awful lot. Recently tuned it, haven't done that in a fair few months. I've ordered some sheet music today of a few of my favourite arrangements, going to spend a few hours during the week reconnecting with my musicality.

By *rMrsBrightsideCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle

Pleased things are looking good for you OP and you can get back to doing something you enjoy.

I miss swimming. I used to do it a lot and found it very relaxing. Our local pool is a bit run down nowadays and always cold so it never feels that appealing plus I joined a gym so the spare time I have I tend to spend there instead. I’m determined to do some wild swimming when we get the better weather.

Kx

By *rincipessaWoman  over a year ago

your wildest dreams,

That is such good news to hear, enjoy your time at the gym

I too had health issues made me stop the things I loved, mainly cycling and aerial rope and trapeze.

This week I have my bike booked in for a service so I can get back out there.

Being older, I’ve lost a lot of strength and have tendon issues in my arm that affect grip so I may not get back to aerial. But you know, one thing at a time

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"In October last year I was diagnosed with non Hodgkin’s lymphoma. As you can imagine it was a bit of a shock. As my chemo started I was made aware that my immune system may never be as good as it once was and I would need to avoid crowded places initially due to the increased risk of infection. I cancelled my gym membership with the idea to train more outside. I don’t do cold well and am quite a fair weather kind of person. Needless to say my training frequency tailed off dramatically.

Anyway roll forward 3 months and 3 chemo cycles later and life is good. I have responded surprisingly well to the treatment and life has pretty much been ‘as normal’. I have just reactivated my membership today and plan to go for my first gym session later today in about 4 months. Will aim for a 5km treadmill run.

To be honest I can’t wait as I really really missed that aspect of my life.

Is there anything you used to do that you don’t do so much now or maybe not at all that you really want to get back into or start up again ?"

fab news xx

By *ulieAndBeefCouple  over a year ago

Manchester-ish

That's fab news OP.

We had a massive upheaval a few years back that broke our hearts (being deliberately vague sorry) and we both feel like we lost part of ourselves. We won't ever get that back so for us it's a case of finding different things to replace it. Not sure we're there yet but things are getting better.

JaB

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

I also really miss the gym, I can no longer go due to a bad back and chronic illness. It was the people, as well as the activity which made it fun.

Also just long walks, where I could walk for miles. I can do 3 at a push, but takes me ages to recover.

[Removed by poster at 28/01/23 13:35:34]

Thanks for all the positivity and well wishes.

Some really interesting hobbies you lot have/have had.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

"I also really miss the gym, I can no longer go due to a bad back and chronic illness. It was the people, as well as the activity which made it fun.

Also just long walks, where I could walk for miles. I can do 3 at a push, but takes me ages to recover."

Same, but you can walk further than me.

Good to hear about your recovery OP.

By *issmorganWoman  over a year ago

Calderdale innit

Just wanted to say that's fantastic op ,so pleased you're on the road to recovery.

Thanks all.

So an update. I got to the gym and I managed to complete my 5km in 30 mins which was a very pleasant surprise as I thought after many months of no running I would struggle to do even 10 mins.

I also did some pull-ups and dips afterwards and the strength is still there. I really do feel so amazing right now. The endorphins have kicked in.

I really would encourage anyone who misses doing something (see original thread post) to make time for it. I’m sure you will feel so much better for it.

By *reamyclottedcreamWoman  over a year ago

Helston... or St Awful?...

"Thanks all.

So an update. I got to the gym and I managed to complete my 5km in 30 mins which was a very pleasant surprise as I thought after many months of no running I would struggle to do even 10 mins.

I also did some pull-ups and dips afterwards and the strength is still there. I really do feel so amazing right now. The endorphins have kicked in.

I really would encourage anyone who misses doing something (see original thread post) to make time for it. I’m sure you will feel so much better for it. "

Firstly, excellent news, and yay, so happy for you!

You're a strong cookie

Secondly, swimming. I used to swim a lot, and competed when i was young.... Then I got bigger recently and too body conscious now to put on a dress and go for a splash.

I mess around in the ocean when it's good weather, but miss the pool a lot.

» Add a new message to this topic