FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Random compliment

Random compliment

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ttentiveRabbit OP   Man  over a year ago

Lymington

I have a toxic trait that if I am out shopping and there is a pretty lady.

I would pass a compliment, like lovely dress, nice hair or nice perfume, then wish them good day whilst they are surprised and walk away as to not make them feel I expect expect them to engage.

Due to the exit, I don't fully see the reactions.

If someone did this to you, would you appreciate it or does it come over a little creepy ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Why is it toxic ?

T

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman  over a year ago

Carlisle usually

If I'm busy doing my thing, if I'm walking, talking with friends or clearly engaged in a task, compliments are wildly unwelcome from strangers.

If I'm stood waiting for someone or otherwise unoccupied, a compliment froma stranger would still be awkward but at least less likely to get an outright "You can fuck off now" look.

Lymington

"Why is it toxic ?

T"

Because it's becoming a habit

By *ellinever70Woman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

It wouldn't put a spring in my step, no

Lymington

"If I'm busy doing my thing, if I'm walking, talking with friends or clearly engaged in a task, compliments are wildly unwelcome from strangers.

If I'm stood waiting for someone or otherwise unoccupied, a compliment froma stranger would still be awkward but at least less likely to get an outright "You can fuck off now" look."

Always only been unoccupied, the piss take from friends wouldn't be welcomed

By *vilgasamWoman  over a year ago

The dot in the i

It depends, if I’m busy then it’s a distraction from my train of thought so it’s annoying but there are appropriate times and places, like at the swinger club where that would be a nice icebreaker

[Removed by poster at 29/01/23 14:24:30]

[Removed by poster at 29/01/23 14:25:00]

Ummmm it's one of those things that depends on where/how etc.

If I were stood in a queue and the person next caught my eye and kindly complimented me "oh that's a lovely scarf, lovely shade of blue" or something innocuous then I'd not see it as disturbing.

If they walked up out of the ether and said "you have beautiful eyes" or whatever...and it left me thinking "that guy has been watching me" I'd be feeling majorly creeped out & very uncomfortable.

"Why is it toxic ?

T

Because it's becoming a habit "

Without knowing all the ins and outs I believe toxic behaviour is manipulative and self focused in their nature. You aren't looking to gain anything from it it seems so not really toxic I think..

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

[Removed by poster at 29/01/23 14:26:39]

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

"I have a toxic trait that if I am out shopping and there is a pretty lady.

I would pass a compliment, like lovely dress, nice hair or nice perfume, then wish them good day whilst they are surprised and walk away as to not make them feel I expect expect them to engage.

If someone did this to you, would you appreciate it or does it come over a little creepy ?"

It's sounds as you're working on y pickup skills

Lymington

If someone did this to you, would you appreciate it or does it come over a little creepy ?

It's sounds as you're working on y pickup skills

"

Possibly, just think people are too quick to put someone down, but not enough building people up

Lymington

"Why is it toxic ?

T

Without knowing all the ins and outs I believe toxic behaviour is manipulative and self focused in their nature. You aren't looking to gain anything from it it seems so not really toxic I think.. "

Valid reason, not looking to personally gain, more to show appreciation when someone has probably made effort or unsure of themselves to hope it has some positive impact

Lymington

"Ummmm it's one of those things that depends on where/how etc.

If I were stood in a queue and the person next caught my eye and kindly complimented me "oh that's a lovely scarf, lovely shade of blue" or something innocuous then I'd not see it as disturbing.

If they walked up out of the ether and said "you have beautiful eyes" or whatever...and it left me thinking "that guy has been watching me" I'd be feeling majorly creeped out & very uncomfortable."

Lol yes ‘nice eyes’ or similar would be very creepy.

Especially if you greet them with Salom on Friday night

Ayrshire

"Why is it toxic ?

T

Without knowing all the ins and outs I believe toxic behaviour is manipulative and self focused in their nature. You aren't looking to gain anything from it it seems so not really toxic I think..

Valid reason, not looking to personally gain, more to show appreciation when someone has probably made effort or unsure of themselves to hope it has some positive impact "

What makes you think these women are unsure of themselves and need building up?

Lymington

"It depends, if I’m busy then it’s a distraction from my train of thought so it’s annoying but there are appropriate times and places, like at the swinger club where that would be a nice icebreaker "

Yet to do a club and is on the list of 2023

If someone did this to you, would you appreciate it or does it come over a little creepy ?"

Why do you see this as toxic? Only toxic if your doing it with seedy alteriar motives, and it leaves you feeling a certain way. if your just being nice then I'd argue bit a toxic trait

Please don’t approach me whilst I am out minding my own business

I don't think this is a bad trait. I will often ompliment random strangers both men and women because why not.. why shouldn't we raise people up.

Good for you but don't do it for the reaction do it because you mean it

Lymington

Why do you see this as toxic? Only toxic if your doing it with seedy alteriar motives, and it leaves you feeling a certain way. if your just being nice then I'd argue bit a toxic trait "

Not seedy and without motive apart from to ‘be kind’

But was concerned if it is actually coming across wrong

Lymington

I don't think this is a bad trait. I will often ompliment random strangers both men and women because why not.. why shouldn't we raise people up.

Good for you but don't do it for the reaction do it because you mean it"

Always mean it

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple  over a year ago

Cumbria

More than a little creepy, it seems as though you are doing it because you get off on it.

Lymington

"Please don’t approach me whilst I am out minding my own business "

You’d probably scare me :P

So long as you're not holding a door open for women so they have to do that awkward run... I hate that

By *yresMan  over a year ago

Midland town

Why do think people need to be built up, to bolster their confidence , yes they might have some pleasing to the eye attributes ,but to express that to strangers in passing, no it just does not seem right.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Would take it for what it was a compliment and probably smile on my way x

"Why is it toxic ?

T

Valid reason, not looking to personally gain, more to show appreciation when someone has probably made effort or unsure of themselves to hope it has some positive impact "

I wouldn't analyse how they feel.. because then it's more about you feeling like you are some hero. Just acknowledgement of a beauty without overthinking the impact is a kind act in my eyes. I've done it to both men and women and never had strange reactions. But I am a woman.

By *lephantisMan  over a year ago

Oxford

"So long as you're not holding a door open for women so they have to do that awkward run... I hate that "

I'm afraid I do this, but I do always say 'No rush!' And I don't discriminate between men and women.

More than a little creepy, it seems as though you are doing it because you get off on it."

That's what I picked up too

"Please don’t approach me whilst I am out minding my own business

You’d probably scare me :P"

Thank god for that

Why do you see this as toxic? Only toxic if your doing it with seedy alteriar motives, and it leaves you feeling a certain way. if your just being nice then I'd argue bit a toxic trait

Not seedy and without motive apart from to ‘be kind’

But was concerned if it is actually coming across wrong "

I'm getting that your feeling a certain about this behaviour, and maybe trying to justify to yourself why your actually doing it, so you say the motive is to be kind. However, we're not always aware our true motives as thet often lie in the subconscious.

But on the other hand viewing it as toxic behaviour. Which suggests to me, something isint sitting right with you..

I'd suggest look at what you get out the behaviour and not what the other person gets or how they view...everything has to be brought back to self..

Lymington

More than a little creepy, it seems as though you are doing it because you get off on it.

That's what I picked up too"

No, not to get off on it, just don’t want to offend and would stop if it would

"So long as you're not holding a door open for women so they have to do that awkward run... I hate that "

I would just take my time nodding politely and smiling. No need to run if he wants to make an effort.. let him make real effort and stand there for a bit.

Ayrshire

There's less chance of you offending if you curb your need to compliment women just going about their business

I appreciate a compliment, so if a stranger said. " Excuse me, that colour really suits you" or something similar, it would make me feel more positive. There's nothing wrong with passing genuine compliments and both parties get something from it.

LadyO

Absolutely no harm in that whatsoever, I would thank you for saying so

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple  over a year ago

Cumbria

That's what I picked up too

No, not to get off on it, just don’t want to offend and would stop if it would"

There are some women who would find a complete stranger complimenting them and walking off creepy, and perhaps unsettling. There are some who won’t. The problem is you have no way of distinguishing between the two.

As you have said, you see it as being potentially toxic, which means you probably know it’s not something you should be doing.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Malmesbury/Larkhill

When I'm out on my motorbike I always get complimented on my bike. Once, whilst out shopping, I was complimented by a very attractive woman on my shows; I blushed, said "thank you" walked off.

Normally, I'd consider being complimented by a stranger as a bit odd but in a pub or a club, I'd think that it was possibly do e as an 'ice breaker' to get chatting to me, for whatever reason.

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

I'm not suggesting that paying a compliment like the OP has suggested is a right thing or a wrong thing. I don't have a pertinent answer.

If we disregard for a moment the concept of matchmaking, blind dates / 'setups' by mutual agreement, arranged unions/marriages, matrimonial services, online dating and smartphone dating/hook-up Apps...

What remaining approach is there — without any lecherous or inappropriate undertones — when striking up a polite conversation with a person?

So what would be the most acceptable and morally-correct way in meeting people...which sometimes leads to courting, bonding, betrothing and, perhaps, procreating?

What did people do in the old days? What did our parents do?

I do not know.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Malmesbury/Larkhill

"When I'm out on my motorbike I always get complimented on my bike. Once, whilst out shopping, I was complimented by a very attractive woman on my shows; I blushed, said "thank you" walked off.

Normally, I'd consider being complimented by a stranger as a bit odd but in a pub or a club, I'd think that it was possibly do e as an 'ice breaker' to get chatting to me, for whatever reason."

Typo... not my shows, my shoes...

By *ull English with teaMan  over a year ago

London

I receive lots of compliments from ladies when I’m out and it can be a bit of a chore…

"I'm not suggesting that paying a compliment like the OP has suggested is a right thing or a wrong thing. I don't have a pertinent answer.

If we disregard for a moment the concept of matchmaking, blind dates / 'setups' by mutual agreement, arranged unions/marriages, matrimonial services, online dating and smartphone dating/hook-up Apps...

What remaining approach is there — without any lecherous or inappropriate undertones — when striking up a polite conversation with a person?

So what would be the most acceptable and morally-correct way in meeting people...which sometimes leads to courting, bonding, betrothing and, perhaps, procreating?

What did people do in the old days? What did our parents do?

I do not know."

Thought of the same. What people did before all the online avenues? I'm guessing some might not remember those days. Might as well stop interacting ?

OP for every few you'll make smile there might be someone who won't appreciate it. Doesn't mean you should stop it completely, just let them deal with their own reaction.

When you say it becomes a habit - do you actively seek those praise opportunities, excessively perhaps? That would be the only thing which would concern me and make me self reflect. Otherwise, not really.

T

By *ulieAndBeefCouple  over a year ago

Manchester-ish

The thing that stands out to me is the 'pretty lady' bit. Are you only nice to people you find attractive? Is that why it's maybe feeling a bit toxic?

A compliment freely given is a lovely thing. I've had men turn aggressive when I've not then been adequately grateful for the comment. So I'm always going to be a bit wary of a compliment out of the blue.

J

10 best ever

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

It's a fine line... Personally, I like it when someone compliments something I'm wearing or my hair. That's perfectly acceptable. I don't like it if people mention eyes/smile/other body parts, that's a little creepy.

My friends and I will often compliment other people when we're out together, usually on the same kind of thing. The other day I asked the girl who works in Sainsbury's what perfume she was wearing as it smelt lovely.

I wouldn't be too bothered, unless you lingered. I'd just assume you were trying to get into my pants and it would be meaningless.

I rarely believe compliments from men, they'll say anything to catch a woman's attention. But you never know, if there's mutual attraction it could lead to something great. As long as you're being respectful, keeping your distance and not making someone uncomfortable it's not that big of a deal. But it's good to understand some women wouldn't be happy about it.

If I was a woman it would creep me out

"It's a fine line... Personally, I like it when someone compliments something I'm wearing or my hair. That's perfectly acceptable. I don't like it if people mention eyes/smile/other body parts, that's a little creepy.

My friends and I will often compliment other people when we're out together, usually on the same kind of thing. The other day I asked the girl who works in Sainsbury's what perfume she was wearing as it smelt lovely.

"

That’s just made me realise that the compliments I give are always clothing, shoes, bags, haircuts, make up. I do sometimes compliment men (family/colleagues/friends) if they look smart or they’ve had a haircut. But never their body or facial features - how interesting!

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

I always compliment someone on their actions like going out of their way to help someone.

I’ve never complementing someone on material things and never will. I’m not interested in the biggest swinging dick in the room.

By *weetkitten65Woman  over a year ago

Halifax

I'd love it

» Add a new message to this topic