FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Ambulance

Ambulance

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Saturday night 8pm. Witnessed a ambulance arrive at a bar and put its hazards on and block Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow's busiest Street.

Causing gridlock for about 20 mins. 10 mins in the bar, 10 mins in the back of the ambulance. Was it for somebody who was badly injured or ill. No it was a young lady who was able to walk to the ambulance unaided.

The irony is there was a place the ambulance could have parked 10 yards away. It took a policeman to ask them to move to the parking place and allow traffic to progress. By the time it was sounding like you were in Mumbai or Bangkok.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

And if they were in cardiac arrest and saved a life they would have been heroes.

People can be too impatient.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"And if they were in cardiac arrest and saved a life they would have been heroes.

People can be too impatient."

Or the person in cardiac arrest was fat and or a drinker/smoker anyway so possibly deserved it..

The ambulance is always getting in the way until it’s you in the back of it, then it’s everyone in the way of the ambulance.

By *llaandGCouple  over a year ago

London

I don't know, those antisocial paramedics getting in the way of proper working people.

Thankfully we get strike days where these do-gooders aren't so disruptive.

Now if you'll excuse me. I've got to piggyback my nan to hospital, she's broken her hip. I for one am socially responsible

G

"And if they were in cardiac arrest and saved a life they would have been heroes.

Or the person in cardiac arrest was fat and or a drinker/smoker anyway so possibly deserved it.."

You think people "deserve" it

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

" Was it for somebody who was badly injured or ill. No it was a young lady who was able to walk to the ambulance unaided.

"

The paramedics must have assessed her as needing to go in the ambulance to hospital.

By *raceytTV/TS  over a year ago

cardiff

Or the person in cardiac arrest was fat and or a drinker/smoker anyway so possibly deserved it..

You think people "deserve" it "

WOW I'm lost for words

If they're trying to get to someone as fast as possible then they can park wherever they like. A few seconds can mean life or death...

in Lancashire

You think people "deserve" it "

No..

I absolutely do not, perhaps badly worded it but see it all the time in such instance on here where some will blame the persons lifestyle etc for heth issues/poverty etc .

Or the person in cardiac arrest was fat and or a drinker/smoker anyway so possibly deserved it.."

Really?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

No..

I absolutely do not, perhaps badly worded it but see it all the time in such instance on here where some will blame the persons lifestyle etc for heth issues/poverty etc . "

You were being ironic I think

Forum Mod

East Sussex

" Was it for somebody who was badly injured or ill. No it was a young lady who was able to walk to the ambulance unaided.

The paramedics must have assessed her as needing to go in the ambulance to hospital. "

Also if you can walk they will encourage it.

in Lancashire

No..

I absolutely do not, perhaps badly worded it but see it all the time in such instance on here where some will blame the persons lifestyle etc for heth issues/poverty etc .

You were being ironic I think "

I was yes..

Had experience attending an incident years ago where a neighbour asked us to keep the noise down and turn the blues off as it was disturbing them..

Forum Mod

East Sussex

No..

I was yes..

Had experience attending an incident years ago where a neighbour asked us to keep the noise down and turn the blues off as it was disturbing them.."

honestly!

I've seen news reports of people leaving notes on ambulances because they're parked outside their house etc

in Lancashire

No..

I was yes..

Had experience attending an incident years ago where a neighbour asked us to keep the noise down and turn the blues off as it was disturbing them..

honestly!

I've seen news reports of people leaving notes on ambulances because they're parked outside their house etc

"

That's not uncommon ditto criminal damage to the vehicle in similar circumstances..

The green guy's have been wearing stab vests in certain areas for years..

People can be too impatient."

I totally agree! These people saved lives so what if you have to wait few more minutes in traffic!

"Saturday night 8pm. Witnessed a ambulance arrive at a bar and put its hazards on and block Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow's busiest Street.

Causing gridlock for about 20 mins. 10 mins in the bar, 10 mins in the back of the ambulance. Was it for somebody who was badly injured or ill. No it was a young lady who was able to walk to the ambulance unaided.

The irony is there was a place the ambulance could have parked 10 yards away. It took a policeman to ask them to move to the parking place and allow traffic to progress. By the time it was sounding like you were in Mumbai or Bangkok. "

God forbid if they parked on double yellows!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

No..

I was yes..

honestly!

That's not uncommon ditto criminal damage to the vehicle in similar circumstances..

The green guy's have been wearing stab vests in certain areas for years.."

Isn't it awful.

In the last year of her life we called an ambulance to my mum on average once a fortnight. The paramedics and technicians were always polite, professional and above all in possession of knowledge and equipment to help. Why on earth anyone would want to attack them is beyond me

By *astyfella999Man  over a year ago

newcastle

I’m a paramedic. And it was the ambulance driver fault. Once the patient was in the back of the ambulance he or she should had realised they were blocking the road and should have driven up the road to let traffic move on

That’s what I would have done

If my life hung in the balance I'd be pretty fucked off if they was driving round looking for a parking space!!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I’m a paramedic. And it was the ambulance driver fault. Once the patient was in the back of the ambulance he or she should had realised they were blocking the road and should have driven up the road to let traffic move on

That’s what I would have done "

What about when you're both needed in the back?

in Lancashire

No..

I was yes..

honestly!

Isn't it awful.

In the last year of her life we called an ambulance to my mum on average once a fortnight. The paramedics and technicians were always polite, professional and above all in possession of knowledge and equipment to help. Why on earth anyone would want to attack them is beyond me"

Had similar experiences with Dad before we lost him, it gives a different perspective from working alongside them seeing just how caring and empathic they are..

Forum Mod

East Sussex

No..

I was yes..

honestly!

Isn't it awful.

In the last year of her life we called an ambulance to my mum on average once a fortnight. The paramedics and technicians were always polite, professional and above all in possession of knowledge and equipment to help. Why on earth anyone would want to attack them is beyond me

Had similar experiences with Dad before we lost him, it gives a different perspective from working alongside them seeing just how caring and empathic they are.."

I have to say that there were times that they didn't seem empathetic but they were always caring and reassuring. Some also took time to reassure my dad who was always paralysed with fear when they had to be called

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Patience is a virtue x

"I’m a paramedic. And it was the ambulance driver fault. Once the patient was in the back of the ambulance he or she should had realised they were blocking the road and should have driven up the road to let traffic move on

What about when you're both needed in the back?"

It's rare that both would be needed in the back for very long - drawing up drugs, changing O2 cylinders if needed etc. The crew would do their best to move from traffic asap but the needs of the patient always come first. If asked, and on scene, a policeman could drive the vehicle carefully to the nearest safe spot, or they could direct the traffic around the ambulance. They're rarely on scene for very long, to comply with the "golden hour" principle.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

What about when you're both needed in the back?

It's rare that both would be needed in the back for very long - drawing up drugs, changing O2 cylinders if needed etc. The crew would do their best to move from traffic asap but the needs of the patient always come first. If asked, and on scene, a policeman could drive the vehicle carefully to the nearest safe spot, or they could direct the traffic around the ambulance. They're rarely on scene for very long, to comply with the "golden hour" principle."

Ah right I understand. Once when my mum had a head injury and bleed on the brain the ambulance had to stop so that the driver could get in the back to resuscitate her. They just stopped at the safest place regardless of holding traffic up.

By *aysOfOurLivesCouple  over a year ago

Chigwell

"The ambulance is always getting in the way until it’s you in the back of it, then it’s everyone in the way of the ambulance. "
100%

"If my life hung in the balance I'd be pretty fucked off if they was driving round looking for a parking space!!

"

Couldn't have put it better.

By *ndisMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

20 mins isn't really that long to be held up! Carry on with the good work, all you emergency service workers!

There really isn't an issue here? They were doing their job,then someone asked if they could possibly move, and they did?

The fact is it, it wasn't a life or death situation. The fact the young girl could walk 20 yards unaided to the ambulance. Means the ambulance could have moved to the parking spot which would have taken 30 seconds, then started her treatment in the back.

They not only blocked the traffic but a rapid response unit with 2 paramedics who had arrived at the scene earlier. By doing that, that unit was unable to respond to other emergencies. The fact a policeman told them to move and they could do it, means it wasn't a all hands on deck situation.

But as usual people don't like to hear any criticism of the NHS.

" There really isn't an issue here? They were doing their job,then someone asked if they could possibly move, and they did? "

Is their job to block traffic in busy town centre when it is avoidable.

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"Saturday night 8pm. Witnessed a ambulance arrive at a bar and put its hazards on and block Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow's busiest Street.

The irony is there was a place the ambulance could have parked 10 yards away. It took a policeman to ask them to move to the parking place and allow traffic to progress. By the time it was sounding like you were in Mumbai or Bangkok. "

You have absolutely no idea what was wrong with the lady?

Just because she could walk doesn't mean she wasn't unwell?

I know motorists are entitled but this is pretty low, so what if you were delayed 10 minutes, someone needed medical help

" There really isn't an issue here? They were doing their job,then someone asked if they could possibly move, and they did?

Is their job to block traffic in busy town centre when it is avoidable. "

No it's to attend to a patient as quickly as possible

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

" There really isn't an issue here? They were doing their job,then someone asked if they could possibly move, and they did?

Is their job to block traffic in busy town centre when it is avoidable.

No it's to attend to a patient as quickly as possible"

Is their job to block traffic in busy town centre when it is avoidable. "

They wouldn't know the condition of the patient until they've assessed them. Getting to them as quickly as possible is essential. If they've had a head injury or other major trauma, the few extra seconds could literally mean life or death. Also, it's bloody cold out. Those few extra seconds to stretcher them to the ambulance could bring on severe shock, also a killer. The 20 minutes you waited could well be the last 20 minutes of their life.

By *llaandGCouple  over a year ago

London

Why let something basic like actually not knowing any of the facts get in the way of posting something on the forum?

G

By *alamity clungeWoman  over a year ago

Clungetown

The issue here (by the sounds of things) is an ambulance being called for a young woman who didn't need it. The paramedics often arrive on the scene with the bare minimum of information and can be met with all sorts. The time spent with d*unks or with people who could have easily avoided injury is ridiculous.

And that's before we even start on the abuse they take when they do turn up to help people.

"The issue here (by the sounds of things) is an ambulance being called for a young woman who didn't need it. The paramedics often arrive on the scene with the bare minimum of information and can be met with all sorts. The time spent with d*unks or with people who could have easily avoided injury is ridiculous.

And that's before we even start on the abuse they take when they do turn up to help people."

Given the OP has said that there was a rapid response crw in first attendance, I'd argue that the evidence suggests that the ambulance was clearly needed.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

That's a bit harsh

Tin town

"I don't know, those antisocial paramedics getting in the way of proper working people.

Thankfully we get strike days where these do-gooders aren't so disruptive.

Now if you'll excuse me. I've got to piggyback my nan to hospital, she's broken her hip. I for one am socially responsible

G"

Stop blocking the footpath

By *ittlelad69Man  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Really????

What’s the point of this post

Tin town

The paramedics must have assessed her as needing to go in the ambulance to hospital. "

Also.. Inconvenience aside... Sounds a better outcome that she could walk? Rather than having to be stretchered. Hopefully she's ok

Tin town

No..

I absolutely do not, perhaps badly worded it but see it all the time in such instance on here where some will blame the persons lifestyle etc for heth issues/poverty etc . "

Got an ambulance because she was poor? Didn't realise I could do that.

By *oo..Woman  over a year ago

Boo's World

Oh my word.....

By *oo..Woman  over a year ago

Boo's World

Someone else's minor inconvenience could cost someone else their life!

In this case it wasn't thankfully but next time it may well be.....

"If they're trying to get to someone as fast as possible then they can park wherever they like. A few seconds can mean life or death..."

I was at an event once when a woman suffered a brain anuerism. I recognised the symptoms and called it in as that. It took nearly 30 minutes for a solo paramedic to arrive. He then spent 5 minutes sat in his car finishing up the paperwork from his last job, despite me telling him I thought it was serious as soon as he arrived. He examined her briefly and called for an ambulance. About 20 minutes later a private ambulance turned up with two Technicians. Not an emergency/trauma/life support equipped ambulance, basically a van. They faffed and farted around getting her in and away.

She died in hospital later that night.

When seconds count, help is minutes, or even hours away.....same with Plod.

"If they're trying to get to someone as fast as possible then they can park wherever they like. A few seconds can mean life or death...

I was at an event once when a woman suffered a brain anuerism. I recognised the symptoms and called it in as that. It took nearly 30 minutes for a solo paramedic to arrive. He then spent 5 minutes sat in his car finishing up the paperwork from his last job, despite me telling him I thought it was serious as soon as he arrived. He examined her briefly and called for an ambulance. About 20 minutes later a private ambulance turned up with two Technicians. Not an emergency/trauma/life support equipped ambulance, basically a van. They faffed and farted around getting her in and away.

When seconds count, help is minutes, or even hours away.....same with Plod."

Fuck me. That’s a sobering story.

By *alamity clungeWoman  over a year ago

Clungetown

"The issue here (by the sounds of things) is an ambulance being called for a young woman who didn't need it. The paramedics often arrive on the scene with the bare minimum of information and can be met with all sorts. The time spent with d*unks or with people who could have easily avoided injury is ridiculous.

And that's before we even start on the abuse they take when they do turn up to help people.

Given the OP has said that there was a rapid response crw in first attendance, I'd argue that the evidence suggests that the ambulance was clearly needed."

Yeah, probably.

My other points stand though.

"If they're trying to get to someone as fast as possible then they can park wherever they like. A few seconds can mean life or death...

When seconds count, help is minutes, or even hours away.....same with Plod.

Fuck me. That’s a sobering story. "

I worked alongside ambulance crews for years. They are hard pressed and poorly lead, like most services. They have some amazing people, and some arseholes, like most services. I have true stories that will make you cry. I cried when I lived some of them.

» Add a new message to this topic