FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Are you a stargazer?

Are you a stargazer?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I am and usually after midnight I like to go out on the balcony and to look up to the sky and see where the moon and the stars are. I always see the same constellation where there are 3 stars in a row. I looked it up and appaarantly it is called the orions belt, there was also a full moon few days ago

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I am and usually after midnight I like to go out on the balcony and to look up to the sky and see where the moon and the stars are. I always see the same constellation where there are 3 stars in a row. I looked it up and appaarantly it is called the orions belt, there was also a full moon few days ago "

Correct, That’s the Orion’s Belt but the constellation is bigger than just that. Get into the net, look for a sky map and have a look. If they’re good enough you can position it according to the date/hour and see what’s out on the map. Also you’ve got apps to read the night sky.

By *ightNWet69Woman  over a year ago

dark side of the moon

Yes, I have a hammock I love laying on to look at the stars

By *raceytTV/TS  over a year ago

cardiff

Put sky guide on your phone

"I am and usually after midnight I like to go out on the balcony and to look up to the sky and see where the moon and the stars are. I always see the same constellation where there are 3 stars in a row. I looked it up and appaarantly it is called the orions belt, there was also a full moon few days ago

Correct, That’s the Orion’s Belt but the constellation is bigger than just that. Get into the net, look for a sky map and have a look. If they’re good enough you can position it according to the date/hour and see what’s out on the map. Also you’ve got apps to read the night sky. "

Yes, the constellation is alot bigger, maybe the only bit one can see of the whole thing. I will have a look on how it look likes. I have also one of those apps as well

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I love star gazing.. every other night we have mo street lights for about half the street and it's great as the stars are so much clearer

Winter are the best skies to look up.

Orion is one of the biggest out there, when you go and find them (the popular ones) you cant NOT see them ever again. I like to look up.

I’ve never seen a proper night sky full of stars as I’ve always lived somewhere really light polluted

Yep even bought a half decent scope

By *raceytTV/TS  over a year ago

cardiff

Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.

It matters that you don't just give up.

"Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.

It matters that you don't just give up.

"

and we are all made of stars!!! So shine bright

By *ayHaychMan  over a year ago

Leeds (Home) / Sheffield (Work)

"I’ve never seen a proper night sky full of stars as I’ve always lived somewhere really light polluted "

Same here! I want to go on a stargazing retreat where they have dark skies and people who talk you through what to do!

"I’ve never seen a proper night sky full of stars as I’ve always lived somewhere really light polluted

Same here! I want to go on a stargazing retreat where they have dark skies and people who talk you through what to do!"

a dark sky event for fabbers would be amazing lol

By *ayHaychMan  over a year ago

Leeds (Home) / Sheffield (Work)

"I’ve never seen a proper night sky full of stars as I’ve always lived somewhere really light polluted

Same here! I want to go on a stargazing retreat where they have dark skies and people who talk you through what to do!a dark sky event for fabbers would be amazing lol"

Fabbing under the stars!

We should organise

By *asterR and slut mayaMan  over a year ago

Bradford

Love to star watch

"Put sky guide on your phone"
Yes. I also have one of those apps too

I love stargazing, unfortunately I live in London

For the guys in Yorkshire there's a star party tonight at York racecourse pm for details

Yep i love astronomy.

Got 5 scopes and love looking at the craters on the moon.

Plus viewing the follwing when they are view

Saturn

Mars

Jupiter

Mercury

Orion nebula

Horses nebula

And my ultimate favourite the sun with the solar flares erupting just a amazing site

By *lubchuckerMan  over a year ago

Oxfordshire

I'm interested in stargazing and always spend some time looking at the night sky if i'm outside on a clear night, i even bought a reasonable quality astronimical telescope but i've not had a chance to use it yet thanks to a pissy neighbour but i will at some point.

By *bo7118Man  over a year ago

Birmingham

Use Orions belt as a pointer towards one of the brightest stars in the night sky (imagine a line pointing towards the 8 o'clock position). Its called sirius and is something like 7 or 8 lightyears away from our solar system. I used to love star gazing as a kid and knew a few of the constellations.

By *aimeDWoman  over a year ago

Shaftesbury, Dorset

I know very little about what I’m actually looking at but I find staring at the stars like a kind of meditation. I’m an over thinker in every part of my life but staring off into nothingness allows me to just completely shut off my brain. It’s the most peaceful I can feel, closely followed by being on the coast staring out to sea. Bliss

By *ister_ee_1981Man  over a year ago

San Fran Exeter

Yep, love a bit of stargazing. Keep an eye out for one that looks like a saucepan (Big Dipper, or the Plough)

One that looks like a "W" is Cassiopeia (as in crown of Queen) also there are planets! Venus, Jupiter and Mars can easily be seen with the naked eye!

Yes I love stargazing. My favorite place is Cherry Springs here in Pennsylvania. You can see the entire milky way.

By *rnypairCouple  over a year ago

south Yorkshire

Yes I have a couple of scopes and not long since got into astrophotography, I have managed to get a few good images of the Orion Nebula and a few other galaxies.

By *escourtesMan  over a year ago

hereford

Yes love star gazing, the Stellarium app is very useful.

Natural beauty all around us if we simply take time out to observe it's beauty; incl. looking up at the sky.

Used to do a lot when on travels camping out in wildernesses observing it's beauty.

Blissful experience.

"Use Orions belt as a pointer towards one of the brightest stars in the night sky (imagine a line pointing towards the 8 o'clock position). Its called sirius and is something like 7 or 8 lightyears away from our solar system. I used to love star gazing as a kid and knew a few of the constellations."
Yes, that is interesting, one can use the orions belt for that too and there are bright stars as well

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Yes and winter is the best time due to less heat haze. I have a Skywatcher scope.

By *ttentiveRabbitMan  over a year ago

Lymington

Yep, love hiding in the forest at night and watching the sky.

Have to avoid the dogging car parks and just wrap up in a decent blanket, flask of hot drink and moon chair

"Yes and winter is the best time due to less heat haze. I have a Skywatcher scope."
That is good and yes, the best time is in the winter time too

By *avexxMan  over a year ago

cheshire

its defo something like to get into,,

I love stargazing. Mars always twinkles a little bit red so can tell that straight away, but love to look up other constellations. My eyes always find the Orions belt constellation wherever I am and we were lucky enough to see the milky way in the dark skies of Wales once. Amazing, I love it.

By *moothshaftMan  over a year ago

Coventry

Shag, yes that's Orion's belt. Now if you look directly below it, you'll see 3 more fainter stars in a vertical row, that's Orion's sword.

The middle one of those 3 fainter ones is actually not a star, but the Orion Nebula itself!

By *sBlueWoman  over a year ago

Up North

Yes love it. In oz middle of nowhere the sky was amazing.

I remember spending my first night at T’s house in Yorkshire (now married ha) and we went into the garden, there was no light pollution at all and the stars were stunning compared to Manchester. I could see them so clearly.

Still to this day, many years later and now a permanent York resident, stand in our garden looking at the stars. We have no street lights in our village and it’s absolutely beautiful, definitely a happy place!

Mrs

By *ensualbicockMan  over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

[Removed by poster at 09/02/23 21:09:34]

"Yes, I have a hammock I love laying on to look at the stars"
That sounds good to me

Yes, absolutely love stargazing even if I have no idea what I'm doing or what I am looking at. I have an app which kind of points everything out. I was amazed to learn you can see planets in the sky at night, I always get so excited when I see them.

I'm trying to save up for a decent telescope... but I have no idea where to start.

One of my favourite things is sitting out watching the moon and night sky, looking at all the stars thinking about their life that I can't even begin to wrap my head around. I'm lying on my bed now with the window wide open just staring at the delightful moon. It's so comforting.

"Yes, absolutely love stargazing even if I have no idea what I'm doing or what I am looking at. I have an app which kind of points everything out. I was amazed to learn you can see planets in the sky at night, I always get so excited when I see them.

I'm trying to save up for a decent telescope... but I have no idea where to start.

One of my favourite things is sitting out watching the moon and night sky, looking at all the stars thinking about their life that I can't even begin to wrap my head around. I'm lying on my bed now with the window wide open just staring at the delightful moon. It's so comforting. "

Amazon have a great range of telescopes, but before you consider making a purchase do some homework, like reviewing websites online like space.com, etc. Happy viewing.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

Love space and everything astronomical.

The mr

Some people believe that humans first came to this planet from Orions Belt. That the pyramids are lined up with them in order to descend back home when we die. Think its called the Path of Souls

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Orion is my favourite constellation. Betelgeuse with its red 'flickering' and Rigel. We are seeing them as they were hundreds of years ago due to distance.

By *escourtesMan  over a year ago

hereford

"Orion is my favourite constellation. Betelgeuse with its red 'flickering' and Rigel. We are seeing them as they were hundreds of years ago due to distance."

even more amazing...If you were there looking at earth..youd be watching the battle of trafalgar...or napoleans march through europe...

By *ovespudsMan  over a year ago

Swindon

Both myself and my girlfriend love stargazing.

Couldn't find the "green comet" for trying, even using two different apps and 10x50 binoculars.

Just booked an evening at the Kielder observatory, it's a three hour event.

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol

Yep I love it.

Hate to sound like a cliché, but it truly fills me with wonder.

It's all out there and I wish I could go and see it.

"Put sky guide on your phone"

A mates got a similar app on his Ipad thing. Its brilliant.

Im not a stargazer as such. I couldn't name constellations or anything like that.

But i do love sitting outside and looking up on a clear night.

But for me, when i was away on tours....especially places like Kenya, Botswana and South Georgia...wow.

No unnatural light for 100's of miles around. Its an incredible site.

Me and some of the lads would lay on the canopys of our trucks, and just stare at the heavens.

The amount of stars visible is mind-blowing.

And its horizon to horizon.

By *JohnMan  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Follow Orion's belt up and to the right, and you'll see a little cluster of stars called the Pleiades. They're beautiful through small binoculars.

Jupiter is still around in the early evening, towards the south and west. With even small binoculars you can see some of its moons.

And that very bright star to the south of west in the early evening that makes me ask "is that Venus?" every time is indeed Venus.

One of the joys of living in the north of England is that you don't have to travel very far to get some very dark skies. If you're fortunate enough to live in Scotland it's even better.

I live in the North West

It's usually cloudy

If we can see them 3 stars now with all this light pollution imagine how brightvthey looked to the ancients.

"I live in the North West

It's usually cloudy "

And the rain gets on ya telescope lense

I'd love a night away just gazing at the stars.

Just stick me in a field and I'd be good.

By *rMonkeyMan  over a year ago

In the middle

I'm a massive space geek, have a decent telescope set up, don't get time to use it as much as I would like though.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

A new moon a straight finger and a keen eye is all you need, halleys comet what a sight.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I used to when I worked at Gatwick, not so much now.

During the late shift you would get your team and kit together then, then head out to stand.

Like most things, I wish I had learned about them earlier

I too love the experience of looking-up at the night sky at a quiet, dark location. It is very soothing, connecting, and inspiring.

The area of the sky including the constellation Orion is rich with visual treats! One of the “stars” in the “knife” dangling from Orion’s Belt is in fact The Great Orion Nebula— a giant cloud of gas and dust where stars are being born!

I love astronomy and space exploration.

Wonderful to see so many others here interested in star gazing!!

I used to work 50% night shifts in a rural area. In quiet moments I would find somewhere to lie down and just watch the sky. The longer you look, the more you see as your eyes adjust. You learn to distinguish between stars, satellites, shooting stars. I could watch it for hours. I do miss that about working nights..and seeing sunsets and sunrises in the same shift..

[Removed by poster at 12/02/23 21:12:24]

"A new moon a straight finger and a keen eye is all you need, halleys comet what a sight. "
Yes, it is fun to watch the new moon too

There is a new moon tonight at around 7pm tonight, also when it is a new moon, one should start new projects

"There is a new moon tonight at around 7pm tonight, also when it is a new moon, one should start new projects "

Is that what's making all the women randy?

Orion, The Plough, and the Pole Star are the ones I know.

Stars twinkle. Planets don't. It's to do with the distance, and the angle they occupy in the sky.

Yes, not bad from home, but better 20 minutes out into the countryside, plenty of hilltops..

Only when I hit my head

I wouldn't know, because all my life I don't think I've ever been somewhere with total pitch darkness and clear skies at night to see all the stars without light pollution ruining things for me.

By *uckOfTheBayMan  over a year ago

Flintshire

Blowing my own trumpet, but I have a Masters degree in astrophysics

"There is a new moon tonight at around 7pm tonight, also when it is a new moon, one should start new projects

Is that what's making all the women randy?"

Yes, it might be because of that too

[Removed by poster at 21/02/23 11:51:46]

"I wouldn't know, because all my life I don't think I've ever been somewhere with total pitch darkness and clear skies at night to see all the stars without light pollution ruining things for me. "
Yes. I think that it would be difficult to see a new moon too

By *hagTonight OP   Man 36 weeks ago

It is super moon tonight, are you also going to see if you can see it?

By *ex HolesMan 36 weeks ago

Up North

I’d love to see Uranus

By *littlteBitMoreWoman 36 weeks ago

Scotland

"It is super moon tonight, are you also going to see if you can see it? "

By *ostindreamsMan 36 weeks ago

London

I am part of an astronomy club. Planning to buy a telescope for myself sometime.

By *asterR and slut mayaMan 36 weeks ago

Bradford

"I am and usually after midnight I like to go out on the balcony and to look up to the sky and see where the moon and the stars are. I always see the same constellation where there are 3 stars in a row. I looked it up and appaarantly it is called the orions belt, there was also a full moon few days ago "

I am a stargazer and cloud watcher .

By *ersiantugMan 36 weeks ago

Cardiff

Just recently I've been looking at telescopes again. I think I do this a lot when my birthday is coming up! (gift to myself kind of thing.) Just like every other year though I can never pick one!! It's largely because the ones I really want are always up to a grand, but also because it's genuinely hard to choose! One year hopefully I'll have enough money to just do it. pt

Bradford

Just been out for a peek. Fuck all

One star Lil.

By *ensualbicockMan 36 weeks ago

Light pollution

Bradford

"Light pollution "

Nope just a lot of clouds

By *ersiantugMan 36 weeks ago

Cardiff

Go to a decent place on a good night and you can see the tiny, blurry, star-like fuzz of Andromeda with the naked eye. Our nearest galaxy. I'd love to take a decent deep space picture of that. pt

[Removed by poster at 30/08/23 21:48:22]

"Go to a decent place on a good night and you can see the tiny, blurry, star-like fuzz of Andromeda with the naked eye. Our nearest galaxy. I'd love to take a decent deep space picture of that. pt"
Yes, finding a good place gives a better chance to see it too

By *rHotNottsMan 36 weeks ago

Dubai

Something I want to do more. When I wild camp have a friend that tells me all the names it’s fascinating especially in winter and we successfully navigated across bleaklow moor at night in winter by the stars once.

I was in the desert 3 weeks ago and saw Saturn's rings as it was just 67 light minutes away

I was out and I saw the moon, what a nice super moon it was, very bright. I took few pics of it as well

By *aulaxd2020TV/TS 36 weeks ago

dudley

I go out sometimes to watch The ISS go over if it’s a clear night

By (user no longer on site) 36 weeks ago

I am a stargazer and find it very relaxing. If I am ever suffering from anxiety, it is usually my go to to calm the nerves. Fortunately, I live in a very dark area and get to enjoy it without any light pollution.

Bradford

Red alert the moons turned up

Not where I expecting to see it

But looking good in the clouds I'll go out later see what progression its made .

By *irty_DeedsMan 36 weeks ago

Teesside

Spent 6 hours in a hot tub at a rented lodge in nortumbria one clear evening during the summer. Its part of the national park and a dark zone so the amount you could see was amazing.

Love the stars we get very little light pollution. It's just lovely sitting outside watching the universe listening to crickets with lightning bugs accentuating the serene view.

Bradford

"Love the stars we get very little light pollution. It's just lovely sitting outside watching the universe listening to crickets with lightning bugs accentuating the serene view. "

Fucking show off. God dam America lol.

"Love the stars we get very little light pollution. It's just lovely sitting outside watching the universe listening to crickets with lightning bugs accentuating the serene view.

Fucking show off. God dam America lol."

lol go look at Cherry spy Pennsylvania it's my favorite place.

Bradford

"Love the stars we get very little light pollution. It's just lovely sitting outside watching the universe listening to crickets with lightning bugs accentuating the serene view.

Fucking show off. God dam America lol. lol go look at Cherry spy Pennsylvania it's my favorite place."

I know I would if I won the lottery

By *ophieslutTV/TS 36 weeks ago

Central

I look every night, I enjoy it

Lovely super moon tonight and clear skies here..

Bradford

Just when outside my front look up and there is clouds gone

Looks good . I actually have moon projector puts a full size moon on the ceiling makes great nite lite .

By *oding1Man 36 weeks ago

marlow

I live in a very dark part of Africa in the winter and get to gaze at a very different sky..

There is a now a second chance to see the super moon. I have just seen it and it is orange and really close and big, almost like you can touch it

» Add a new message to this topic