FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > shopping- food waste?

shopping- food waste?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

being single usualy do my weekly shop , get stuff for snacks sandwhiches etc fridge stuff, always end up with half used ham, cheese slices ,pork pies ,end up at use by date and um n arr about eating leftovers , try the sniff test but end up chucking stuff out ,surely others must experience similar??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

No we don't. We're pretty good at buying what we know we'll eat.

By *ir SupremacyMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Yes this drives me mad a small portion of something is like 3 pence less so I buy the bigger one,only to bin half my fridge a few days later as I live on my own .

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I tend to batch cook when I am on my own - that way not that much that gets wasted.

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

"I tend to batch cook when I am on my own - that way not that much that gets wasted."

Yep! I buy stuff with week long dates for my evening meals so I know I'll eat them and I meal prep on Sunday for lunches to last me the week. Barely have any food waste

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"I tend to batch cook when I am on my own - that way not that much that gets wasted.

Yep! I buy stuff with week long dates for my evening meals so I know I'll eat them and I meal prep on Sunday for lunches to last me the week. Barely have any food waste "

Same here - works well when I have company as I can just defrost more.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Yes this drives me mad a small portion of something is like 3 pence less so I buy the bigger one,only to bin half my fridge a few days later as I live on my own ."

I was in the shop just now and a small tin of baked beans was only five pence cheaper than a large tin.

Derby

"I tend to batch cook when I am on my own - that way not that much that gets wasted.

Yep! I buy stuff with week long dates for my evening meals so I know I'll eat them and I meal prep on Sunday for lunches to last me the week. Barely have any food waste

Same here - works well when I have company as I can just defrost more. "

Yeah, when I have company... Same

By *rtyIanMan  over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

bollox to dates on stuff just use common sense

if you grew veg it wouldn't have dates on, I posted on social media last week that id just had a steak that was apparently 9 days out with roast veg that was supposedly 7 days out.

Derby

"bollox to dates on stuff just use common sense

if you grew veg it wouldn't have dates on, I posted on social media last week that id just had a steak that was apparently 9 days out with roast veg that was supposedly 7 days out. "

Veg and fruit I think you will be ok with using the eye test, I wouldn't risk it with meat to be honest though.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I live on my own and live right next to a supermarket so tend to shoo daily.

When my son was home I used to do a weekly shop but didn't really have much waste as I'd buy reduced items and freeze them

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

5 minutes planing and making a list job done!

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

I try to buy what is needed and can be used but surely they don't make it easy as everyone said. I have become a more savvy shopper recently though and do lists rather than just look around for stuff and end coming back with much more than I want and a lighter wallet

By *he love catsCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

"being single usualy do my weekly shop , get stuff for snacks sandwhiches etc fridge stuff, always end up with half used ham, cheese slices ,pork pies ,end up at use by date and um n arr about eating leftovers , try the sniff test but end up chucking stuff out ,surely others must experience similar?? "

You could try freezing pork pies and separating ham and freezing smaller portions just taking out what you need the night before you need them, surprising what can be frozen and still tastes great.

By *rtyIanMan  over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

if you grew veg it wouldn't have dates on, I posted on social media last week that id just had a steak that was apparently 9 days out with roast veg that was supposedly 7 days out.

Veg and fruit I think you will be ok with using the eye test, I wouldn't risk it with meat to be honest though."

Id be wary with chicken, beef ive eaten that was 20 days over, the rib of beef I had for Christmas was dry aged for 155 days lol

fish and shell fish nope

Molly cheese cut the mood off lol

Derby

Veg and fruit I think you will be ok with using the eye test, I wouldn't risk it with meat to be honest though.

Id be wary with chicken, beef ive eaten that was 20 days over, the rib of beef I had for Christmas was dry aged for 155 days lol

fish and shell fish nope

Molly cheese cut the mood off lol"

Ahhh right, I never really eat red meat so it's mostly poultry and fish I'm wary of

By *oystick-MCRMan  over a year ago

Manchester | London

Zero food waste

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

You can definetly freeze pork pie and cheese.

I'd eat out of date fruit and veg but not chicken and fish. The key is to freeze it on its sell by date.

It usually tells you on packets if something isn't suitable to be frozen

By *hocohung8Man  over a year ago

Norrh East & East midlands

Lots of waste and I found the best way is reducing purchases and limiting the quantity of certain items which I found the most wasted food. Keeping the fridge clean and less filled so no items disappearing and get off

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Now we shop on line and get it delivered waste is far less.

Previously doing food shop in person always ended up buying more than we need and throwing loads away.

Now maybe it's the odd half bag of rocket or maybe some ham .

Biggest issues with getting it delivered is the date's on stuff

Half the shopping turns up and runs out the next day!!

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

My 2 girls who live home buy their own food mostly but waste so much! And when I moan about it they say they paid for it! But just hate food waste! I eat what I can of it but don't eat meat so that gets wasted plus the stuff I don't like they buy devils food like avocado and humous!x

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

No. I buy the big packs, batch cook and freeze portions

By *oystick-MCRMan  over a year ago

Manchester | London

"No. I buy the big packs, batch cook and freeze portions"

What’s on the menu this week?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"No. I buy the big packs, batch cook and freeze portions

What’s on the menu this week?"

Chicken stew at the moment, when I've run out of that I'll pull something out of the freezer and start again.

By *ice_pair69Couple  over a year ago

Cambs

Meal plan

Odd box deliver fruit and veg

Only waste we have is a food leftovers on the plate and that’s not often.

We make all dishes from fresh ,easy simple and cheaper

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I used to be terrible for throwing things away but not anymore. I plan meals for the week and buy what I need and stick to it. Rarely throw anything these days. Maybe the odd bit of salad or veg.

By *ormalfornorfolkMan  over a year ago

Norwich

I am the daddy dustbin

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I try to meal plan and make lunch sized portions for the freezer as i go. I don't mind eating repetitive meals

I've also recently discovered food boxes which are excellent.... If you don't mind eating the same meals multiple times

The other benefit of a food box is that you don't buy a load of crap whilst in the supermarket, so they actually work out cheaper if you are disciplined!

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

ive done lots in my slow cooker and frozen it, but whatever i do ie stews or tatty ash etc seems too taste same, a fem friend reckons im using same spices? so onto amazon for slow cooker recipe book

By *cunnylassCouple  over a year ago

Exeter

We don't throw out much at all.Mandy used to be very wasteful but not anymore.Food is too expensive these days to chuck in the bin!

Mike

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

Luckily I have a big freezer. But if something can't be frozen, I'll cook two meals with it. Have one that day and the other the next day.

I hate waste of anything especially food.

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

I am pleased to say I have Zero food waste.Every Friday I prepare a menu for each of the next 7 days then on Saturday purchase what I need.

I am a big fan of Batch cooking and like to keep at least 25 assorted ready meals in the freezer.

Bulk stuff like Rice,Pasta, Flour & Sugar my son-in-law gets bulk bags from Costco for me.

Being single and retired I have time on my hands to enjoy baking and cooking.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I am pleased to say I have Zero food waste.Every Friday I prepare a menu for each of the next 7 days then on Saturday purchase what I need.

I am a big fan of Batch cooking and like to keep at least 25 assorted ready meals in the freezer.

Bulk stuff like Rice,Pasta, Flour & Sugar my son-in-law gets bulk bags from Costco for me.

Being single and retired I have time on my hands to enjoy baking and cooking. "

OMG I really wish I was as organised as you.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A freezer is good for most things, even a small one can save you a lot of waste.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Manchester

"Now we shop on line and get it delivered waste is far less.

Previously doing food shop in person always ended up buying more than we need and throwing loads away.

Now maybe it's the odd half bag of rocket or maybe some ham .

Biggest issues with getting it delivered is the date's on stuff

Half the shopping turns up and runs out the next day!!"

Yeah same. Spend much less and throw out less with a meal plan and ordering online.

By *uby StarCouple  over a year ago

Durham

if you grew veg it wouldn't have dates on, I posted on social media last week that id just had a steak that was apparently 9 days out with roast veg that was supposedly 7 days out. "

it about using your own judgement

» Add a new message to this topic