FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Bill Gates - Lecture

Bill Gates - Lecture

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Bill Gates is giving The Richard Dimbleby Lecture on BBC1 in half an hour.

He's focusing on eradicating polio. Health has been a big theme of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, particularly funding malaria work.

Will any of you be watching or do you think that he's the wrong person to be given the honour of the lecture?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Bill Gates is giving The Richard Dimbleby Lecture on BBC1 in half an hour.

He's focusing on eradicating polio. Health has been a big theme of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, particularly funding malaria work.

Will any of you be watching or do you think that he's the wrong person to be given the honour of the lecture?"

Was thinking of watching it. Given the enormous amounts that his Foundation have donated I think he has every right to be giving the lecture.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Will any of you be watching or do you think that he's the wrong person to be given the honour of the lecture?"

I am no problem with the man who is in effect the worlds biggest giver of charity the honour of the lecture... the amount of good work the foundation has done in erradicating some childhood dieases is immense...

why would he be the wrong person to give the lecture?

By *ansue35Couple  over a year ago

yorkshire

I personally not really into lectures of that nature, but has earned the right i think.

Good luck to him

Ian

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

His foundation along with Warren Buffett is a marvellous and very generous institution...

"

Will any of you be watching or do you think that he's the wrong person to be given the honour of the lecture?

I am no problem with the man who is in effect the worlds biggest giver of charity the honour of the lecture... the amount of good work the foundation has done in erradicating some childhood dieases is immense..."

I'm not sure people realise how big the Foundation is and how it sets its priorities. Comparing what Steve Jobs gave to charity makes for an interesting read of the different levels of regard and celebrity the two men have had.

"why would he be the wrong person to give the lecture?"

He is known for his expertise in software not polio. It was just a question.

"why would he be the wrong person to give the lecture?

He is known for his expertise in software not polio. It was just a question.

"

Ah i see what you meant now.

By *atasha_DavidCouple  over a year ago

Slough

As Dimbleby said in his introduction "the latest in a great American tradition of philanthropists that does not currently happen here"

I wonder why that is? Perhaps Europe is all just selfish offshore banking tax avoiders.

Saint Steve versus Nerdy Bill?

I think history will remember the nerd.

"As Dimbleby said in his introduction "the latest in a great American tradition of philanthropists that does not currently happen here"

I wonder why that is? Perhaps Europe is all just selfish offshore banking tax avoiders.

I think history will remember the nerd."

I thought it was a great lecture.

I have wanted to tell the story of modern philanthropy and try to explore what is happening here. They exist, not in the same sorts of numbers as America and rarely as public as the Americans. It's interesting.

Great lecture, well delivered by a man who is genuinely making a difference.

I didn't watch myself but won't knock the guy as he has given away far more cash than I could ever hope to. He deserves some respect as some guys who are mega rich hoard it like its is all that matters.

I didn't watch myself but won't knock the guy as he has given away far more cash than I could ever hope to. He deserves some respect as some guys who are mega rich hoard it like its is all that matters. "

His values are clear. I admire his stance with his children too: they have to earn their own way.

"Great lecture, well delivered by a man who is genuinely making a difference.

"

Let's not forget Melinda. She does so much.

"As Dimbleby said in his introduction "the latest in a great American tradition of philanthropists that does not currently happen here"

I think history will remember the nerd."

The biggest tax shelterers are Americans because the IRS only requires tax on payments repatriated to the US.

I didn't watch myself but won't knock the guy as he has given away far more cash than I could ever hope to. He deserves some respect as some guys who are mega rich hoard it like its is all that matters.

His values are clear. I admire his stance with his children too: they have to earn their own way."

Its refreshing to see and cant fault his attitude myself but I guess many won't like him what ever he does.

» Add a new message to this topic