FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Almost converted me

Almost converted me

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I thought I'd save this for Thursday as I reckon it'll start someone off on a rant.

I had an experience on the weekend that almost converted me back from atheism to believing, almost. I was driving back up from Edinburgh to Inverness on Sunday. I was on the A9 between Perth and Inverness and, as usual, stuck in a que behind an articulated lorry doing 40mph. With no dual carriageway to look forward to for miles.

Then suddenly, the truck pulled over into a layby to let the que pass.......

I'll just let that sink in for those who've never heard of or witnessed such a thing......

And it did actually pull in to let us go, he wasn't pulling over for a mandatory break as I saw him pull back on in my mirror. I very nearly praised a god I don't believe in. I feel privileged to have witnessed something almost mythical.

Of course a few miles later there was another one waiting to take up the slack, but still. Now all I need is to witness a shed dragging bastard to do the same (or spontaneously explode) and I'll die contented. But deep down I know it'll never happen. I assume that occurrence is like Halleys comet, only comes round ever 60 years or something and if you're too old now you'll never see it again.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Praise be!!

The A9 is a contradiction of sensibility to me…….

It can be one of the most frustrating roads and yet it leads towards my personal Nirvana….

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

You should drive round Arse End with our farmers in their tractors doing 7.5 mph (and don't get me started on the steam engine that is hired out on the Ravenglass/Muncaster road - who the fuck wants to drive a fucking 3 mph steam engine!!!!!)...having said that, they're often quite polite and pull over in a layby to let the 3,423,487 million cars coming out of Sellafield pass them

67 people killed on the A9 between 2006 and 2010…… 51 deaths in the last five years and an average of 200 collisions per year….!.

If there was a sex sign for motor vehicles it would read: Tractors do it often.

I've seen many farm vehicles pull over to let a line of traffic through, but never seen a HGV do it. You are truly blessed to have witnessed such an occurrence.

Have witnessed that on the A9 myself, think it was a Morrisons, but agree it's once in a blue moon!

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have seen tractors pull over quite a lot too, when I lived in Norfolk. But this is the first time I'd ever seen a truck do it. I've seen plenty pull over for a mandatory break, but never seen one do it out of the goodness of his heart and thus delay his journey by a few seconds.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

The driver might have been from New Zealand. It's the law that slower vehicles pull over when there is a place to let the faster vehicles pass. There are seriously small, twisty roads in some parts.

» Add a new message to this topic