FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Tipping in restaurants

Tipping in restaurants

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man  over a year ago

folkestone

I went out with some friends and a friend of a friend tagged along to a local indian restaurant. When it came to the bill i put my share and left a 10% tip, but the friend of a friend wouldnt leave a tip because he doesnt like leaving tips(he's an accountant and quite well off). Anyway i was somewhat pissed off with him and i thought he was being tight and in the end i put in more to make up for it, as the owners know me quite well and i booked the table.

Have you ever come across similar people who refuse to tip ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

If i get good service i tip. If there is a few of us we all put equal in for the tip. If the meal was shit then no i wouldnt leave a tip, but if i think the meal and service was above average i leave a good tip

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't tip as a rule. Staff are paid to do the job and should be professional about it. On the odd ocassion I do it's because they may have gone the extra yard, maybe dealing with my complaint or if they're particularly friendly and chatty.

"I don't tip as a rule. Staff are paid to do the job and should be professional about it. On the odd ocassion I do it's because they may have gone the extra yard, maybe dealing with my complaint or if they're particularly friendly and chatty."

Snap!

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I used to help runa restaurant and tips were always appreciated. The only time I don't tip is if the service stinks. The rest of the time its 10% up to 20% for service above and beyond.

Some restaurants under pay because of tips and there's no way of knowing which ones do that so best to assume the poor waiting staff need them to afford an after work tipple.

I always tip , unless the service has been poor.

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Northants

I only tip in exceptional circumstances! People get paid to do a job and that should be the end of it! Tipping encourages bosses to deliberately set wages as low as possible! Makes it very difficult if someone has a bad week... I am paying the going rate for the experience and I don't see why I should pay extra to someone for doing their job!

Even worse, those stupid smiley faces that get drawn on the bill! They really think that substitutes for bad or indifferent service?

Yep! May sound harsh, but I would hate to get to the state of play in the USA! It should be for service over and above the service you can rightly expect!

By *ollie_JCouple  over a year ago

London

Check the service charges if it's included either deduct it and leave a tip or pay it, simple.

"I went out with some friends and a friend of a friend tagged along to a local indian restaurant. When it came to the bill i put my share and left a 10% tip, but the friend of a friend wouldnt leave a tip because he doesnt like leaving tips(he's an accountant and quite well off). Anyway i was somewhat pissed off with him and i thought he was being tight and in the end i put in more to make up for it, as the owners know me quite well and i booked the table.

"

Yes but I've said to people if they are that tight as to not tip (providing we had good service) then there would be no way I would eat out with them again.

It's the same with Taxi drivers, do youtip them? Not as much as I used to before the fares became extortionate..Would you tip someone at Burger king, after all, their wages are shit...

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I really struggle with this one. I don't think tipping should be allowed as it encourages employers to set low wages. I hate visiting the USA and being told how much I am supposed to leave for every ruddy thing from someone pressing the button on the lift to the taxi to the airport.

That said, low paid jobs rarely get bonus payments so if I get good service I do tip and always in cash, not on the card.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I used to rely on tips - very important when you are on minimum wage - and bear in mind that it is taxable income.

That said, if I have poor service I do not tip. As for someone with me who would not tip then that is up to them. They are not obliged to. I would if I thought it was appropriate but would not cover their part.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Saw the thread title and immediately visualised Manuel tripping

It should be left to the customer's discretion, sometimes I don't think you get value for money, that of course depends on your choice of establishment in which you wish to spend the evening with your wife/fb

By *emon tart Double creamCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

I always tip but it depends how much I do by how much I have enjoyed my meal and/or the service....

I see eating out as a experience and if they (waiters/chefs) have enhanced that then I want to see them rewarded....

always leave a tip but never 10%

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"

"

Yes I have and it irritates me. These jobs (waitressing etc) kind of depend on tips and unless I had bad service from them I will always tip.

I only ever tip for exceptional service. I expect good service and i don't buy into the low wages thing as there is a minimum wage in this country so waiters are paid a fair price, good ones will always demand better salaries as they're few and far between.

I work in a tea room with a tips box but i leave it all to the kitchen staff, i never tip so i never take tips.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

10 % - 15% if it is good

A question to the people who don't tip.

If the service charge is included do you deduct this from the bill ?

I will tip if service was good and I have enough spare cash but it's at my discretion and as much or as little as I want. If someone else doesn't want to tip that's their choice too, after all it's their money they're parting with and they may not have much to spare themselves! Not sure about those on minimum wage 'deserving' it to make a wage up though as there are lots of people on minimum wage who don't have an opportunity to earn extra cash. Doubt anyone on here leaves a couple of quid for the office cleaner when your bin is emptied!

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

I don't tip if they put on a service charge. But always if they don't - as long as it was good service obviously.

The bit I object to about tipping is a bland %. If I go to an expensive restaurant, the food and service is ok and the bill is £200 I am expected to tip between £20 and £40. If I go to a cheap local restaurant where the food and service is excellent and the bill is £40 I am expected to tip only £4-8. Something about that system and level of expectation grates.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Check the service charges if it's included either deduct it and leave a tip or pay it, simple. "

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"The bit I object to about tipping is a bland %. If I go to an expensive restaurant, the food and service is ok and the bill is £200 I am expected to tip between £20 and £40. If I go to a cheap local restaurant where the food and service is excellent and the bill is £40 I am expected to tip only £4-8. Something about that system and level of expectation grates."

I agree with you. I tend to tip more at the cheaper local restaurants where I get a really good service than at the bland restaurants with high bills.

Quite a few have the option of paying for the tip on your card as an extra to your bill. I always refuse this, and pay the actual staff their tip (assuming they deserve one) in cash. I don't want the management or the tax man getting their grubby paws on it.

I tip on service from 5 to 20% and would rarely leave nothing, I always tip in cash so it has more chance of going to those who deserve it too.

"I will tip if service was good and I have enough spare cash but it's at my discretion and as much or as little as I want. If someone else doesn't want to tip that's their choice too, after all it's their money they're parting with and they may not have much to spare themselves! Not sure about those on minimum wage 'deserving' it to make a wage up though as there are lots of people on minimum wage who don't have an opportunity to earn extra cash. Doubt anyone on here leaves a couple of quid for the office cleaner when your bin is emptied!"

Good point about the office cleaner, and also people working at e.g. Burger King like someone else pointed out.

Where I grew up, it is the norm to tip 10% at least on top of 10% that is usually added to the bills.

Not to tip the extra 10% is considered as bad form.

I always tip. If I feel I have received a good service and have had a good time, I would tip more.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"The bit I object to about tipping is a bland %. If I go to an expensive restaurant, the food and service is ok and the bill is £200 I am expected to tip between £20 and £40. If I go to a cheap local restaurant where the food and service is excellent and the bill is £40 I am expected to tip only £4-8. Something about that system and level of expectation grates.

I agree with you. I tend to tip more at the cheaper local restaurants where I get a really good service than at the bland restaurants with high bills."

Why patronise 'bland restaurants with high bills'?

» Add a new message to this topic