FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Hs2 still bullshitting their way to a railway

Hs2 still bullshitting their way to a railway

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Thoughts ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Thoughts ? "

Oh c'mon... you go first.... it is your thread after-all

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

By the time it gets built I'll qualify for a senior railcard, so its a from me!

By *ll-Knight-longMan  over a year ago

Derby/Notts(Long Eaton)

It will keep my youngest lad in with a job ....but I may well have retired of the railway by then

By the time its finished, cars will be quicker anyway.

No other country would invest in old technology other than ours.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"It will keep my youngest lad in with a job ....but I may well have retired of the railway by then"

What does your son do how willie keep him in a job ?

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"By the time its finished, cars will be quicker anyway.

No other country would invest in old technology other than ours. "

so the Germans investing billions in the ICE french the same in the TGV. Both of which are used as sticks to beat our countrys raiways with is investing in OLD technololgy ? Its called investing in your infrastructure the ability to move speedily from city to city is a big bonus using the increasingly clogged motorway system in this country is only going to get worse not better .

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

No other country would invest in old technology other than ours. so the Germans investing billions in the ICE french the same in the TGV. Both of which are used as sticks to beat our countrys raiways with is investing in OLD technololgy ? Its called investing in your infrastructure the ability to move speedily from city to city is a big bonus using the increasingly clogged motorway system in this country is only going to get worse not better ."

thought s of what ?

" Its called investing in your infrastructure the ability to move speedily from city to city is a big bonus using the increasingly clogged motorway system in this country is only going to get worse not better ."

Then why do we not invest in maglev like everyone else.

If high speed is so important,why build a train that is restricted by the laws of physics, and not tomorrows technology ????

If we have a desperate need to get from Birmingham to London,there is a shuttle plane that takes less than half of any proposed train.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Half hour paddington heathrow halfhour to check in halfhour heathrow birmingham flight time halfhour to check off the plane half hour birmingham airport city centre. The train via hs2 got there half an hour ago with less polution and will probly be a damn site more comfortable but each to their own as for maglev show me an intercity maglev that works ok for short systems but not long distance .

You may have actual missed the fact.

The HS2 isnt going into London itself.

You also forgot that its a link train into Birmingham not a main line.

By *heMusketeersMan  over a year ago

Most West Mids Towns

"It will keep my youngest lad in with a job ....but I may well have retired of the railway by then"

jobs?,what jobs?,making the tea or cleaning the toilets?,the germans will have all the skilled jobs!.

from what I understand (which isn't much ha) it will be an expensive luxury service to encourage businesses to move away from the capital. I read an article in the guardian a few months ago quoting a study by a professor of transport which said that it will actually make london more accessible and actually drive more business down south

It will also not do much to ease congestion because it will not be used by the normal working classes who still have to use the overcrowded old lines

If this is the case (note how I don't state it as a fact so don't jump down my throat if you disagree like I have had people do) then I don't think it's good for the country and we should be spending the billions on actually upgrading the existing tired old lines and creating a rail network that we can all use

"You may have actual missed the fact.

You also forgot that its a link train into Birmingham not a main line."

you mean Euston isn't London?

"You may have actual missed the fact.

You also forgot that its a link train into Birmingham not a main line.

you mean Euston isn't London?"

I mean the bloody thing isnt going to Euston.

That idea has already been scrapped as not workable.

You will need to change to standard trains to get into Euston.

Any time saved by the super fast train is lost waiting for the always on time normal train.

I’ll give my opinions about Hs2 when it reaches Newcastle and the North ,,,,,,,

Oh, but for the time-being, will someone please give a mention to the present crop of politicians about where Newcastle and the North actually is,,,,!!!

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

My gut feeling is that it will become a commuter service and may mean large towns between Birmingham and London see business migrate closer to one of the two big cities.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

..................."

Making cars quicker is easy. Making cars quicker AND fuel efficient is a different matter.

Making cars quicker, more fuel efficient and getting the general public to accept higher speed limits is maybe too big an ask.

It will when and if done only benefit down south mainly.

The railways were privatised a long time ago and has been a disaster for commuters as very fragmented. How can the taxpayers have to continue subsidising private companies after so long shows how bad it is.

Personally I think we need a decent rail structure so I'm all for it.

Across most of Europe you can get a train, at decent cost, going decent speed and running on time. Here in the UK????

I've hired a car over this weekend, because despite being about 35 mins drive from Birmingham city, trying to use a train is 3 times longer, and more than twice as expensive. (£35 rtn each adult, £60 hire car all weekend & Monday morning, plus I don't have to pay to get to the train station!)

Glasgow

Interesting to note today's 'revised' £80 billion estimated cost includes compensation to those areas blighted 'cos HS2 comes really close to them and compensation to those areas abandoned 'cos HS2 doesn't go anywhere near them.

No other country would invest in old technology other than ours. so the Germans investing billions in the ICE french the same in the TGV. Both of which are used as sticks to beat our countrys raiways with is investing in OLD technololgy ? Its called investing in your infrastructure the ability to move speedily from city to city is a big bonus using the increasingly clogged motorway system in this country is only going to get worse not better ."

I agree with this in that the are way, way too many cars on the roads.

But what difference will HS2 really make? I do think it's an investment in old technology when maybe there could be an opportunity to do something more pioneering. I don't know what though! - but where we once led the world in this kind of infrastructure project we're now lagging long, long behind.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I think that if you are going to build HS2, that is has to ling up with HS1, in the sense that "london" just becomes another station, as opposed to terminus...

it has to work the same way as it has in europe to be a viable competitor in the short airline market....

you dont see flights between paris and brussels, and brussels and amsterdam anymore... why? because it is quicker to go city centre to city centre by train!

so the airlines actually use the trains for transfer....

so if hs2 can for example a lot of short domestic flight routes disappear... such as london to manchester, or leeds/bradford, or newcastle, or glasgow/edinburgh...... then it will pay for itself a lot quicker

It has been revealed that Lord Howell, ????George Osborne's father-in-law is employed by

Japanese Central Railways??. No wonder Howell and Osborne are so in favour of HS2 -

its hard to know why Japanese Central Railways would want to employ him - other

than for the political influence he wields when large government contracts are on offer.

HS2 is clearly a large trough for those used to sticking their snouts in it.

there will be plenty more of this !

Glasgow

"It has been revealed that Lord Howell, ????George Osborne's father-in-law is employed by Japanese Central Railways??. .........."

He's the guy who wanted fracking done in Northumberland where "there were 'large, uninhabited and desolate areas'"

Glasgow

"I think that if you are going to build HS2, that is has to ling up with HS1, in the sense that "london" just becomes another station, as opposed to terminus...

"

Fabio's right.

I'm not sure I could get worked up about saving 30 minutes or so to Glasgow to London but if I could get on a train in Glasgow and get off the same train in the South of France in a lot less than what seems like the 2 days it takes now - I'd be up for that.

Trains are much better ways of getting about than planes. You get to talk to people, walk about a bit more, relax, sleep and so on.

When you go on holiday by train, the journey becomes part of the holiday.

"It has been revealed that Lord Howell, ????George Osborne's father-in-law is employed by

Japanese Central Railways??. No wonder Howell and Osborne are so in favour of HS2 -

than for the political influence he wields when large government contracts are on offer.

"

And you expected something more from politicians?

Just take the recent debacle over the tender for the West Coast line which, thankfully, was overturned. It's the taxpayer that ends up footing the multi-million pound bill just because they are a bunch of self serving bastids!

"It has been revealed that Lord Howell, ????George Osborne's father-in-law is employed by

And you expected something more from politicians?

Just take the recent debacle over the tender for the West Coast line which, thankfully, was overturned. It's the taxpayer that ends up footing the multi-million pound bill just because they are a bunch of self serving bastids! "

I expect nothing from politicians ....they rarely disappoint me ....

HaHaHa! Great stuff! And why do you think the Motorways are clogged? Because of the vast no of lorries on them. Trudging along at a snails paceEfectively reducing the motorways to 2 lanes then one snail decides to overtake another snail and takes a fortnight to do so thus reducing the motorway to 1 lane. And why are there so many lorries on the motorways? because the rail unions effectively destroyed the freight system on the railways by their 'working practices' best described as non working practices. Manufacturers got tired of losing their products for 3 weeks at a time for journeys which should have taken a few hours and paying well over the odds for the lack of service. The new HS2 will be yet another white elephant. The unions will see to that!And it will cost more than a first class airfare for the same distance. The next thing they will be coming out with is that it will be powered by the wind farms and/or solar panels. The land area it will take up would be better used to build a motorway which would carry more travellers and quicker despite the congestion. The unions are probably planning the first strike on it now!

Making cars quicker is easy. Making cars quicker AND fuel efficient is a different matter.

Making cars quicker, more fuel efficient and getting the general public to accept higher speed limits is maybe too big an ask."

We constantly hear of how cars are not fuel inefficient using skewed statistics usually a la Greenpeace method [if in doubt lie] But we never hear of how much fuel the average train uses per passenger carried. Somehow I think it might produce gasps of disbelief when the actual figures were revealed.

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

I'd be quite happy to get a train to Spain for my holidays if they can price it at less than 3p per mile line Ryanair do.

I think it will probably be going into Euston as I have been working on the enabling works at Euston station as well as ones in certain towns near Birmingham.

Realistically they need to improve the infrastructure they already have before building a shiny new line.

» Add a new message to this topic