FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Cancer

Cancer

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Firstly I want to apologise for the " it's so unfair" thread I did put up a rant about cancer then thought better of it....

But a fellow forum user has changed my mind.... So here goes?

Luke's mum has been diagnosed with bowel cancer today, after suffering "IBS" for just after a year and her GP not taking matters any further she was taken to hospital last week with kidney pain, scans on her kidneys found scarring... They decided to do a endoscopy today and that's when they found it.

She is only 59, doesn't drink or smoke, eats healthy and goes regularly to the gym.

I know that there are some of that have been through similar,

So how do we help her cope whilst trying to cope ourselves?

What can we expect?

Any advise is greatly welcomed

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Is she being offered treatment?

As I have said privately, you and Luke are in my thoughts. xxxx

"Is she being offered treatment? "

We aren't sure yet ruby, we all only found out today, I think they want to try and operate maybe next week if that's viable... It's really early days yet and we all kinda of feel we are in the dark, they are going to assign her a McMillan nurse ASAP

Firstly you don't need to apologise for deleting your threat! Secondly Sorry to hear your news. Dealing with cancer in your family is never easy and I speak from experience although not the same kind of cancer. You'll find a way to cope and to stay strong for her. Take care x

"Is she being offered treatment?

We aren't sure yet ruby, we all only found out today, I think they want to try and operate maybe next week if that's viable... It's really early days yet and we all kinda of feel we are in the dark, they are going to assign her a McMillan nurse ASAP "

MacMillan nurses are fantastic. They will also be able to provide support for the family too.

I'm not sure about that particular cancer but cancer is treated in quite a variery of ways these days.

My father got diagnosed with bladder cancer a few years ago, it was quite a shock when I found out and I lived reasonably far away at the time.

He ended up having a series of BCG injections(!) for a few years and he's OK now.

Hugs and my thoughts are with you both too xxxxx

"I'm not sure about that particular cancer but cancer is treated in quite a variery of ways these days.

My father got diagnosed with bladder cancer a few years ago, it was quite a shock when I found out and I lived reasonably far away at the time.

He ended up having a series of BCG injections(!) for a few years and he's OK now.

"

Yes we live a fair distant away from mum... And so glad your dad is ok now

Have pmd you xx

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

glad to see you decided to take the bold step.....xxxxx

as someone else had said macmillan nurses are fantastic, and dont be afraid to ask them anything with regards to what treatment she will have and any support that is there for the family.....

Having had recent test myself for this, enless colonscopys in just a few short months, I really feel for your partners mother. My sister has just recently had her bowel removed and her son whos only 23 is due to have his removed next month. Things do get better, and good treatment and supprt helps.

It's not a good time for you right now and sorry to hear that. I know I don't know you personally, but just wanted to pass on good thoughts to you! x

As has already been said, the nurses are good, will answer all your questions and remember no question is difficult or wrong for them, they have been asked it all before. Don't spend your whole weekend driving yourselves crazy with what if's, as hard as this will be not to. Spend some time just being a family and planning good things to do. My best wishes to you all xx

I dont drink, dont smoke, dont do drugs, eat healthy, exercise and was diagnosed with colitis 2yrs ago. Waiting for appointment to have tests on my liver as i recently went yellow eyed for a few days.

They upped my regular blood tests to every 3months now to check for cancers. Just feels like a waiting game and thats why im saving my money to go on trip around the world before i do get worse.

By *opping_candyWoman  over a year ago

West Yorkshire

Cancer is a bitch. And it really isn't fair. I was diagnosed with early cervical cancer a year ago and was lucky to just need the effected area removing. Have just found out after a checkup that things are still not right and I am waiting to find out what's next.

I'm not looking for sympathy or to take any attention away from the OP. Just wanted to say, in terms of what you can do.... I found it hard when my mum constantly asked if I was ok or if I'd heard anything, several times a day, I felt like I made her sad. I also felt guilty because my sister had leukemia when she was younger (early teens) and that pretty much dominated years of all our lives and it seemed so unfair for my mum to be faced with her other child being ill too.

I'd say.... maybe just try and ask what you can do. Find out if she needs space or if she wants to be surrounded by loved ones. And look after each other too xxx best of luck to you all

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

No words of advice, going through similar.

Thoughts and prayers are with you both.

You know where I am if you need to vent Lucy xx

Good luck to the OP's MIL.

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Fingers crossed for you Lucy x

I can't offer any advice on this. I'm one of the lucky ones - there is no history of cancer in my family (heart attacks, yes...) and I've only come across a very few people who have had non-threatening cancers.

All I can say is ... you post all the 'It's so unfair' threads you like - because it IS unfair.

Ruby and I send you our best wishes and hope for Luke's Mum

and xx

West Yorkshire

Also apologies for rambling, I blame beer

Thank you everyone that has PM with kind words and words of encouragement and advice....

We will probably know more beginning of next week.

Rant all you want it's a horrible disease, my thoughts with you xx

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Lucy and Luke, no need to apologise. Get information from Beating Bowel Cancer or Bowel Cancer UK and not Wiki or other scary sites. Get informed and then you'll be better prepared.

A very good friend of mine was diagnosed a couple of years ago at 61. He and the family went through a tough time for a few months but there was no messing with the treatment. A year after the op he was back to his wonderful self and at 18 months he is fitter and healthier than he has ever been.

Good luck.

"Lucy and Luke, no need to apologise. Get information from Beating Bowel Cancer or Bowel Cancer UK and not Wiki or other scary sites. Get informed and then you'll be better prepared.

A very good friend of mine was diagnosed a couple of years ago at 61. He and the family went through a tough time for a few months but there was no messing with the treatment. A year after the op he was back to his wonderful self and at 18 months he is fitter and healthier than he has ever been.

Good luck."

Thanks, we will take a look at that.

And pleased that your friend has made a good recovery.

It's given us some positive hope xx

hello and sorry for your sad news x i lost my father in January to lung cancer so i know how scary this all can.be x first of all, there's always hope! never give up on praying for recovery. how you deal with things is impossible to say, as we all are different. the obvious direction will lead you to caring for her and naturally your own worry gets swept aside until your private moments find you thinking. make the most of your time together and i mean that in a sincere way my love x i know it may sound awful but it is meant in a sincere advice way x just try to act normal, if possible go for days out or meals etc. if it's bad news then good memories are still to.be made x i pray for you all and keep strong x god bless xxx

"Lucy and Luke, no need to apologise. Get information from Beating Bowel Cancer or Bowel Cancer UK and not Wiki or other scary sites. Get informed and then you'll be better prepared.

Good luck."

"Is she being offered treatment?

We aren't sure yet ruby, we all only found out today, I think they want to try and operate maybe next week if that's viable... It's really early days yet and we all kinda of feel we are in the dark, they are going to assign her a McMillan nurse ASAP

MacMillan nurses are fantastic. They will also be able to provide support for the family too. "

They truely are angels and will be a tremendous support for u in the tough times to come.

Keep ur thoughts strong and positive as best u can and help each other when things aren't so good and don't be afraid to share ur feelings whatever they are. Chances are that those around u feel the same.

Good luck and god bless

Its a horrible disease and and like you say she's a feisty fighter. There is a booklet that Macmillan hand out to family's, that I found very useful. Good luck sweetie, we are all here for you xxxx

By *lippi WenwetCouple  over a year ago

tynemouth

sorry you are going through this and you are definately not alone,it will be very hard whatever happens from here on .anger,tears,fear,etc they are all part and parcel, the only advice i can give to you is to communicate and be honest and open about your feelings, and take nothing for granted, i sometimes think it is harder for the persons support network as you never know what to say or do for the best,i dont know about others, or the course of treatment if any that lies ahead but i had chemo and went through a spectre of emotions,but i appreciate those that supported me nowmoreso ast that time and put up with my many mood swings and tantrums just be there, be strong,and i hope its something that is minimally invasive and back to good health in no time xx

By *oddyWoman  over a year ago

between havant and chichester

Rant as much as you like i lost my mum to cancer 23 yrs ago and wish i had had freinds like we have here to let off steam to

just take each day as it comes

thinking of you hugzz

xxx

Firstly we would both like to thank everyone that has sent us private messages and texts,

Luke's mum has a large tomour in her upper bowels and will be having an operation in the next couple of weeks to try and remove it

Once again thank you so much for all the support that we have received.

Luke n Lucy x

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

"Firstly we would both like to thank everyone that has sent us private messages and texts,

Luke's mum has a large tomour in her upper bowels and will be having an operation in the next couple of weeks to try and remove it

Luke n Lucy x"

I hope the prognosis is good hun. Horrible thing to have to go thru for all involved. Have they caught it early?? X.

"Firstly we would both like to thank everyone that has sent us private messages and texts,

Luke n Lucy x

I hope the prognosis is good hun. Horrible thing to have to go thru for all involved. Have they caught it early?? X. "

We won't know that until she actually has the operation.

Thanks hottie xx

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Hope it goes ok guys x

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Big hugs guys.

And remember that if she needs a colostomy for a while or for keeps the alternatives are far worse. A friend of mine had one when in her early twenties and was horrified to begin with but discovered that the practicalities were worth it for the relief her body had.

Thinking of you and your family, fingers crossed xxx.

Hope it all goes ok xx

By *aughtyNurse999Woman  over a year ago

Fabville !!!

Firstly so very sorry to hear your news. Secondly in 2011 we lost 3 members of my very close family to cancer within 9 months of each other. Dad being one of them. All my training went out the window I went into overdrive.

Marie curie nurses and mcmillan are fantastic they are there to answer all your questions. Its not an easy journey cant pretend it is , make sure you ask ask and ask more questions.does not matter how trivial they sound, take each day as it comes , make sure you both try to get your rest etc , you need a clear head to think, if it helps make notes, hope this thread does not sound like I am telling you what to do. It is not, just trying to be constructive.. please feel free to pm at anytime ... xx

Just a little update

Luke's mum is going into hospital on Wednesday for an operation to remove the tumour, we have been told it's quite large and that she maybe in itu for a few days then kept in for a week or so, and they are planning radiotherapy afterwards. But all in all the outlook looks good.

Thank you all for your supporting messages it's really appreciated

Fingers crossed that all will go well and a speedy recovery afterwards. Best wishes to you all xx

By *heScotandthegirlCouple  over a year ago

London & Edinburgh

I have had cancer myself, tumour removed from my spine aged 22. Before I experienced it, it just meant death to me buthere I am fit and healthy 24 years later, not in the wheelchair I was told to expect, not requiring any long term treatment. I wish her well and hope for a similarly happy outcome

Dave

I had it myself, stay positive, i never smoked either, they do not know what causes it.

Wishing her all the very Best.

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer 5 years ago in my early 30's. Luckily an op to remove the tumour and a course of chemo sorted it. Depending on what op she has she should be out in a week or so. Hope all goes well and sending positive thoughts x

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

sorry to hear this sad news. Hope the operation goes well. Take care xx

Sorry to hear wish you all the best for the operation and a speedy recovery

Kent

"Just a little update

Luke's mum is going into hospital on Wednesday for an operation to remove the tumour, we have been told it's quite large and that she maybe in itu for a few days then kept in for a week or so, and they are planning radiotherapy afterwards. But all in all the outlook looks good.

Thank you all for your supporting messages it's really appreciated "

Hope it all goes well and she recovers quickly. A friend of mines mum is having her breast removed on weds due to cancer. Awful disease. Hoping for a speedy recovery for them both x

"Just a little update

Thank you all for your supporting messages it's really appreciated "

Best wishes folks.

Hope it all goes well xx

Good Luck - big hugz to you both

By *lackshadow7Man  over a year ago

Toronto

Best of luck, we'll be sending good vibes and positive thoughts.

best wishes for tomorrow - hope all goes well x

Cancer runs in our family various areas,brain ,throat,prostate,womb also moles.after watching my loved ones deal or try to deal with cancer,im sure its ur attitude to it that wins the day.hope all goes well ,an smile every chance u get xx

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

best wishes xx

By *erendipity99Woman  over a year ago

Runcorn

They will either cut out some of the bowel where the cancer is and stich it back up. If they cannot do that the whole bowel will be removed and she will have a colostomy bag. Either way it is a good job they caught it in time.

Thank you all for your kind messages and good lucks!

We are all on tender hooks today!

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I hope that everything will be ok ..sending my best wishes to your family xx

Just read this thread and have had a thought have you contacted McMillan nurses. Good luck you all are in my thoughts and prayers big hugs

By *andWCouple  over a year ago

Pontypridd

"Thank you all for your kind messages and good lucks!

We are all on tender hooks today!

"

Stay positive guys! It's the day for beating it, I just know it . Xxxx

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Lets hope the problem can be sorted with the minimum stress and discomfort.. Hope all goes well x

dealing with it is hard we know as my mother has got breast cancer and nightriders mother had cancer. my advice just take it one day at a time

Good luck for your mum today. We will be thinking of you all xx

Hope it all goes well. Good luck xx

Thinking of you all xxx

"Hope it all goes well. Good luck xx"

having had breastcancer myself no wat she going though but did not loose my breast she and her family have to be has strong has they can be its hard its shit but sticking to together helps big hug for her and her family xxxx

Good luck and I hope everything goes OK x

Good luck thinking of you all hugs xxx

Check out gerson therapy !!!

The operation went well, mum is now settling for the night in ICU, they won't know if they have managed to get it all out until the lab reports are back. And it was a smallish cut with no colostomy bag!

We would both like to thank everyone dearly for the kind messages on here and privately!

Luke & Lucy XX

West Yorkshire

"The operation went well, mum is now settling for the night in ICU, they won't know if they have managed to get it all out until the lab reports are back. And it was a smallish cut with no colostomy bag!

We would both like to thank everyone dearly for the kind messages on here and privately!

Luke & Lucy XX "

That is great news

Pontypridd

"The operation went well, mum is now settling for the night in ICU, they won't know if they have managed to get it all out until the lab reports are back. And it was a smallish cut with no colostomy bag!

Luke & Lucy XX "

Fantastic news, similar story here xx

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Sounds like a positive result

Pontypridd

Day over both! Have we succeeded? Xx

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Oh I've only just seen this thread, thats really positive news, gingers crossed all round

By *he Original TTMan  over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

Luke & Lucy XX "

That's good positive news at least. My father had the same OP for the same thing two years ago - two years on he has just turned 75 and is as fit as a flea again. Am keeping my fingers crossed for you all and keeping you in my thoughts. Xxx

Just a quick update!

Mum is coming out of hospital tomorrow! Which is great news! She will have to have radiotherapy and will be under the care of the consultants for the next 5 years!

She can't wait to go home and sleep in her own bed

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Just a quick update!

Mum is coming out of hospital tomorrow! Which is great news! She will have to have radiotherapy and will be under the care of the consultants for the next 5 years!

She can't wait to go home and sleep in her own bed "

I'm pleased for you and your mum x

"Just a quick update!

Brilliant news

Best wishes to you all

"Just a quick update!

Awe fantastic

West Yorkshire

"Just a quick update!

Great news all steps in the right direction

Great news Luke xx

so happy for you guys

"Just a quick update!

Great news and i hope things progress in the right direction.

Ive dealt with the big C on numerous occassions...

My mom, 3 close aunts and 4 uncles and lastly my dearly missed sister.

Its bloody hard if im honest but i did my damnest to try and be positive every day and also project that to them.

Its all you can do.

I did my crying at home in bed and kept that from them.

I wish you all the best in this and hope you and your mom get through the tough times

"Just a quick update!

Great news indeed!!!! Really pleased for both of you.

((((((HUGS))))))

ted n ruby xx

Wonderful news, hope it all stays positivexxxkarenxxx

Great news!

this lady has to be has strong has she can and you could say easy for me to say but been there 7 year now me in remisin they all have to be strong my heart gos out to her and her family xxx

cancer seems to be everywere now does any of you guys rember any of this cancer shit when you was young or was it not taled about cos hi dont rember a lot about cancer when hi was young

My mum had to have a breast removed she went to her gp 3 times with a lump....he told her it was left over lumps from mastitis after having my sister.

She got a 2nd opinion almost 10 months after and was having an op and treatment within weeks.

I hope it all goes well as it can and my thoughts are with you x

By *renchbambi xWoman  over a year ago

Need to know basis

"Just a quick update!

This is wonderful news

Kent

"Just a quick update!

Didn't see this yesterday! Brilliant news xxx

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"cancer seems to be everywere now does any of you guys rember any of this cancer shit when you was young or was it not taled about cos hi dont rember a lot about cancer when hi was young"

People didn't talk about cancer so much back then except in hushed tones or euphemisms.

Cancer's no longer the killer it was 20 or 30 years ago.

"Firstly I want to apologise for the " it's so unfair" thread I did put up a rant about cancer then thought better of it....

Luke's mum has been diagnosed with bowel cancer today, after suffering "IBS" for just after a year and her GP not taking matters any further she was taken to hospital last week with kidney pain, scans on her kidneys found scarring... They decided to do a endoscopy today and that's when they found it.

She is only 59, doesn't drink or smoke, eats healthy and goes regularly to the gym.

What can we expect?

Any advise is greatly welcomed "

Whatever you do keep the lines of communication fully open. Quite often I see both patients and their families keeping quiet in order to protect the other. This very rarely works.

Positive thoughts for you all xx

very true love x

"Firstly I want to apologise for the " it's so unfair" thread I did put up a rant about cancer then thought better of it....

What can we expect?

Whatever you do keep the lines of communication fully open. Quite often I see both patients and their families keeping quiet in order to protect the other. This very rarely works.

Positive thoughts for you all xx"

I find it easier to talk than Luke does

So I am keeping the communication going and talking about things he doesn't want to

Hope it all goes well and shes back to good health asap xxx

Luke and Lucy so pleased to hear your news hope all goes well for the future x T xxx

Hugz to both of u xxxx

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

What can we expect?

Positive thoughts for you all xx

I find it easier to talk than Luke does

So I am keeping the communication going and talking about things he doesn't want to "

My father went though radiotherapy and came though the other side, his life changed for ever.

I brought him "the cancer survivors guide" which he found rather useful, if fact the book as done the rounds to others that has come though the other side of treatment. Hope life pans out more the way you want.

Despite all the remarkable support written on here you will still feel scared and fearful in your quiet moments...its natural to feel that way and its a reaction we all have. You have shown immense courage to post your feelings and its brought a huge wave of genuine support flowing back..and I join all in wishing your mum a speedy and full recovery...my motto in life is think positive! I, along with all on here hope you give regular updates...keep smiling..(But will be hard sometimes) ....thoughts...feel free to inbox me anytime

"Just a quick update!

Fantastic news guys, big hugs xxxxxx

Great news, and the best part is yet to come, each time the consultants extend the time to the next appointment is a victory, took me a year to get from monthly to quarterly, but only another two to get to annual checks, each extension is like another step away from being a patient.

Very happy for you, Radiotherapy is a drag lots of time in the hospital, but the treatment itself is quick, and at least she will get home each night

Just a quick update

Luke's mum has been to see the consultant today and the tumour was

Benign..... Such a huge relief for us all!!

Thank you once again for all the kind messages x

"Just a quick update

Thank you once again for all the kind messages x "

yay, absolute brilliant news

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

oh what a relief ..

Kent

"Just a quick update

Thank you once again for all the kind messages x "

Oh excellent news!!! Xx

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Great news Lucy. Give Luke a kiss from me, just because.

By *renchbambi xWoman  over a year ago

Need to know basis

I join Lickety and send kisses as well as hugs to both of you.

"Great news Lucy. Give Luke a kiss from me, just because."

Give them to him yourself when you see him in a few weeks

Fantastic news xxxxxxxx

Awe great news

That has really made my day. Fantastic. Hugs and kisses both xx

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Good news for you all x

Hugs xxxxx

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 28/09/13 15:10:26]

Glasgow

Sorry. There turned out to be a serious copyright notice on my previous post.

18 months ago I was diagnosed with renal cancer - it came out of the blue and left me stunned

Nothing prepares you for such news so being confused and lost is to be expected

But cancer can be beaten its no longer a death sentence as it was in the past

All I can advise is talk to friends & family and be prepared to let your emotions out

I talked with a counsellor i know but I'd whole heartedly recommend Macmillan nurses

Dealing with cancer is differenf for esch individual - after getting absolutely pissed a couple of nights after being told I woke up and said to myself "if you're going to kill me you've got on hell of a fight on your hands" - 18 months later I'm alive & kicking

What it has given me is a different perspective on life in that I am calmer and more at ease with myself

I wish Luke's mum all the best - my thoughts are with her

» Add a new message to this topic