FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Prisoners and facebook

Prisoners and facebook

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago
Forum Mod

What are your thoughts regarding prisoners being allowed to have profiles on social networking sites?

I was just reading that Sophie Kinsellas family were distraught at comments made on facebook by her brothers murderer

His profile has now been removed

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

prisoners dont deserve any rights or privelages.after all what privelages have their victims?this bloody country thinks more of the criminals than it does the victims of crime

By *im53Man  over a year ago

Boldon

it`s not just the prisoners it`s their friends also ,

just goes to prove that prison is seen as some thing to be proud of by some types of scum

just makes me sick to the core

Most people convicted of crimes and sent to prison deserve to be there. They lose their right to liberty and should be prevented from terrorising their victims and perpetrating their crimes further.

I have been dismayed as they fight from inside prisons to have their liberties restored e.g. compensation for having to slop out etc, and now they are fighting for their right to vote from inside prison.

It appears that prisons are no longer the deterrent they may once have been, the use of the internet for facebook etc is just another nail in the coffin.

Soon, prisons will not be seen as a deterrent (sorry for repeating myself) or as centres for rehabilitation. They will be seen as respite centres for criminals.

"prisoners dont deserve any rights or privelages.after all what privelages have their victims?this bloody country thinks more of the criminals than it does the victims of crime"

think it depends on the crime to be honest , we all make mistakes and have done things that are not strictly legal i agree that the likes of murderers and paedos should have no rights what so ever , but as someone who very nearly ended up in the jail for an incident involving a car ( no one was hurt , nothing was stolen ) i can see why maybe some prisoners who are in for things that are just silly might want contact with the outside world , could be good for them too .

All rights man gives to each other are a priviledge, if you break the laws of society you cannot expect society to honour the rights given to law abiding citizens, end of.

Even basic rights should be earned in prison, behave you get the basic rights, work to keep the prison clean you benefit from bonuses such as recreational equipment, televisions games etc. Work in the prison kitchen and the same as above.

Take an eductation course in the evenings and you can earn even more privledges and so on.

At the moment there is a nominal salary paid to those who work and those who take education classes, the rate for working is higher than that for learning, the prisons want to employ the least number of outside contract cleaners, cooks etc as they can so they prefer prisoners to work rather than learn a trade hence the higher incentives for working.

Prisons could be self-sufficient in many areas with vegetable gardens, small livestock farming, maintenance work providing on the job training with those that are qualified etc.

A lot of organisation is needed but in the long term less costs

And the victims can have some solace that people are being made to pay, not as much as victims but not like at the moment where some are living a life of luxury compared with some people not in prison.

I am sure everyone remembers recently that a laptop was lost and many families and individuals recieving benefits had thier personal private details compromised.

I am sure everyone remembers recently that a laptop was lost and many soldiers had thier personal private information compromised and possibly even available to terrorist organisations.

I am sure everyone remembers recently that a laptop was lost and many hospital patients had thier personal medical history and private information compromised

None of the above recieved any form of compensation.

A laptop was lost recently which contained information about prisoners, personal and private information which should not be available to anyone but the authorities on a need to know basis.

Very much like the other victims of information losses.

The prisoners all recieved compensation for the leak.

Most prisoners are allowed 'privalages' to keep them in line, at the end of the day people have to look after men and indeed women in prisons, you take away everything they have and they have nothing to stay inline for, people make me laugh when they go on about tvs and play stations in prison, very very few people have such privalages and the ones who do are lifes who have already been there 20 years, you stick a man in prison for life and take everything away from him and he will rebel, because he has nothing to loose, you give him a telly which is knows hes going to loose if he steps out of line and the chances are he not beat the next prison guard up next time his cells opened, people in prison with nothing will get very resless thats why they have had such riots in the past, you have to give them something to barter with, wether you agree with it or not, my way of thinking is its better than them attacking the ones looking after them on a weekly basis, and come on at the end of the day do you really think a tv in your room or a go on the internets going to make your life happy when you know your inside for life? i doubt it, they are just little things that make prisons safer for everyone

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"prisoners dont deserve any rights or privelages.after all what privelages have their victims?this bloody country thinks more of the criminals than it does the victims of crime

think it depends on the crime to be honest , we all make mistakes and have done things that are not strictly legal i agree that the likes of murderers and paedos should have no rights what so ever , but as someone who very nearly ended up in the jail for an incident involving a car ( no one was hurt , nothing was stolen ) i can see why maybe some prisoners who are in for things that are just silly might want contact with the outside world , could be good for them too ."

I can almost agree bits of this... yes there are 'some' people who pose no threat to society who are in prison. They are not violent criminals and will want to lead a law abiding life once released.

But they are in prison for a reason and a big part of that reason is as punishment... the removal of their liberty and freedom.

I can see some benefit in some prisoners being allowed 'monitored' internet access towards the end of their prison term to seek employment, accommodation and the like.... but 'facebook'?

That's the worst kind of joke.

i dont think they should be

given privalages as the saying go's

they do the crime..they do the time xx

By *imfromGlasgowMan  over a year ago

er...guess

It's worth remembering that prisons only run with the consent and co-operation of the inmates. If, as a group (or a mob), they decided not to co-operate the system would grind to a halt very quickly.

By *ickmealloverWoman  over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

Prisoners dont deserve freedom to communicate of any sort except letters or fone calls to family and friends IMHO

I think prisoners already get too much of an easy ride, facebook is just another example of it.

It seems Human Rights are set on taking all the punishment out of punishment imo.

By *afthalfMan  over a year ago

Near you x

Prisoners are handed a £2.50 pack when they enter prison. It contains a pouch of tobacco, a box of matches if they are smokers. If not then £2.50 worth of biscuits and sweets.

The next pack they receive will be in either 2 or 3 weeks time out of their spends..

Basic regime receive £2.50 a week

Normal receive £5.00

and enhanced, which takes 8 weeks of extreme good behaviour receive £10 a week.

There are no computers that connect to the outside world. The only way to do this is by obtaining a mobile phone, a fact that is becoming increasingly harder due to the government now introducing a chair that once sat in detects any metal objects withing the human body.

As for the PlayStation's etc, they can only be obtained once the prisoner has saved enough money out of his earnings to buy one.

Prisoners all have a bank account which is set up by the prison which friends and relations can pay money into.This is restricted and monitored.

Only those prisoners on an enhanced wing get playstations cd players ect...

They have to earn their place on an enhanced wing which encourages good behaviour amongst the inmates.

TV,s are in most cells but in places like the seg or med there is no TV...You tend to see a marked improvement in the behaviour of inmates who are placed in these enviroments.

At the end of the day Prison is a place which is run by law abbiding people trying to do a difficult job.If all the so called luxurys were to be taken away you would have chaos,riots and old pre Tv prison gang rule.

This would lead to a drop in Prison officer recruitment total lockdown and Prisoners being released early like in the late 60,s early 70,s...The good old days...Yus...Positive side to this would be that more prisoners would be given a good kicking by frustrated officers...

"It's worth remembering that prisons only run with the consent and co-operation of the inmates. If, as a group (or a mob), they decided not to co-operate the system would grind to a halt very quickly."

Quite true. But I wonder how many of these prisoners would buckle under when they don't get fed. Those that do their porridge without complaining are eligible for early release, that's the payback for being a model prisoner. Those that try and thwart the system get nothing. And deserve nothing.

the day after there was a prison riot in a private jail in scotland........

i dont know where a stand with this one havin got a family that realistically should be in for a knighthood for the pleasure they gave her majesty!!

is prison a deterrent or is it 3 square meals a day and warmth and clean clothes??

yes there are some people in prison who should probably be in more a hospital enviroment and there is some that should have the key thrown away and no tv no nothin for the crimes they have done!

i still think facebbok access is rippin the piss different internet access for education not bloody facebook or whatever!! xx

I dont think any prison allows unrestricted internet access.

The facebook etc contacts are from illegal smuggled internet enabled mobile phones.

If the phone is illegal then the prison might be at fault for not catching the smuggled contraband however no one thinks they can catch everything attempted to be smuggled into prison.

IF an inmate gets on one of these sites, and admits he is the person in jail then the authorities can and will search very thoroughly the areas they have access to.

I think a high percentage of these "prisoners" on facebook etc are wannabees pretending to be the person involved.

How this is solved must be down to social networking sites having tighter access and evidence as to where the information is coming from.

Regardless of the persons identity (real or fake) it still affects the families involved and should be clamped down on by the providers of these sites.

er...guess

"It's worth remembering that prisons only run with the consent and co-operation of the inmates. If, as a group (or a mob), they decided not to co-operate the system would grind to a halt very quickly.

Quite true. But I wonder how many of these prisoners would buckle under when they don't get fed. Those that do their porridge without complaining are eligible for early release, that's the payback for being a model prisoner. Those that try and thwart the system get nothing. And deserve nothing."

Bobby Sands lasted 66 days on hunger strike although I appreciate the circumstances were very different. Many of those who could most succesfully thwart the system have little, if anything, to lose.

er...guess

I'm reminded of the joke told by a retired Grade 2 Governor about entry to the profession.

During a smoker he told us 'If you're planning to become a Governor you have to be able to read and write. If you aspire to being Deputy Governor you have to be able to read OR write. If you're content to be a Prison Officer you'll need to get someone to fill in the form for you'

"Most prisoners are allowed 'privalages' to keep them in line, at the end of the day people have to look after men and indeed women in prisons, you take away everything they have and they have nothing to stay inline for, people make me laugh when they go on about tvs and play stations in prison, very very few people have such privalages and the ones who do are lifes who have already been there 20 years, you stick a man in prison for life and take everything away from him and he will rebel, because he has nothing to loose, you give him a telly which is knows hes going to loose if he steps out of line and the chances are he not beat the next prison guard up next time his cells opened, people in prison with nothing will get very resless thats why they have had such riots in the past, you have to give them something to barter with, wether you agree with it or not, my way of thinking is its better than them attacking the ones looking after them on a weekly basis, and come on at the end of the day do you really think a tv in your room or a go on the internets going to make your life happy when you know your inside for life? i doubt it, they are just little things that make prisons safer for everyone"

Yes I agree with this, the harshest punishment of prison life is the loss of freedom, the second is sheer boredom.

Prison officers would have to contend with daily riots if there didnt exist facilities to keep the inmates minds occupied.

DID YOU KNOW

All meat served to prisoners in British Prisons is Halal.

Prisons found they didn't have the time or facilities to be able to supply halal meat only for muslims so they decided the best option was to make all prisoners eat it.

Personally I object to eating meat prepared in the halal way on the grounds of animal welfare a subject I am not even going to begin to discuss here.

» Add a new message to this topic