desolate north east

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uke olovingman OP   Man  over a year ago

Gravesend

hello to who ever is up there ... from the beautiful but crowded southeast

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I like it desolate. It's lovely and quiet here.

By *utumnWoman  over a year ago

leeds

Hello! Not so desolate in Leeds!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I like it desolate. It's lovely and quiet here. "

It wont be once they start fracking!

Gravesend

can we drill a big hole and blow some of it up we need some of your gas ... so what if your houses fall down

By *limBobStretchedPantsMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

Funny would rather be in the "desolate" north east than the overcrowded smoggy London any day.

I say Hadrian had a good idea he just went too far north!!! Rebuild the wall

Gravesend

for fracks sake stop fracking about

Just typical tory twats who think up north just a toilet. Makes ne laugh when they then say didnt mean to offend.

"I like it desolate. It's lovely and quiet here.

It wont be once they start fracking! "

Its the North York Moors likely to get that, although since when can they start ruining a National Park is beyond me.

Desolate ? I'm in ice station zebra here....it's positively crowded up north compared to here...I haven't seen a woman in 8 years

Its the North York Moors likely to get that, although since when can they start ruining a National Park is beyond me. "

I'm all for fracking, cheaper energy and less reliance on Russian gas. That said, I would not want to see national Parks destroyed. There are certainly a few cities Oop North that would not be missed if they were flattened to get the gas out!

"Desolate ? I'm in ice station zebra here....it's positively crowded up north compared to here...I haven't seen a woman in 8 years "

Ahem, there are one or two women in west Wales

Its the North York Moors likely to get that, although since when can they start ruining a National Park is beyond me.

I'm all for fracking, cheaper energy and less reliance on Russian gas. That said, I would not want to see national Parks destroyed. There are certainly a few cities Oop North that would not be missed if they were flattened to get the gas out!"

Like Middlesbrough!

Gravesend

i cant believe the ignorance of politicians ... they all spout bullshit ..

Gravesend

does oil shale occur near slate ... wales watch out ..your next

By *alvilleMan  over a year ago

Harrogate

To be fair I don't think he said the north was desolate, he said they should drill in a desolate place.

I think we should keep the gas for a rainy day, when the technology is better, it will help us when the energy war begins. In fact, I'm off to get a gallon of petrol just in case.

"Desolate ? I'm in ice station zebra here....it's positively crowded up north compared to here...I haven't seen a woman in 8 years

Ahem, there are one or two women in west Wales "

I know you're just a mirage cruelly offering false hope

I'm all for fracking, cheaper energy and less reliance on Russian gas. That said, I would not want to see national Parks destroyed. There are certainly a few cities Oop North that would not be missed if they were flattened to get the gas out!"

There's enough gas darn sarff to negate the need for fracking about with us "oop north", just need to get you all to shut up long enough to get the apparatus over tha's gobs !

"does oil shale occur near slate ... wales watch out ..your next"

Its a little closer to home to u than that ......... and very close to me ........ if I disappear down one of their holes after they collapse, make sure u come and find me and drag me out again

"Desolate ? I'm in ice station zebra here....it's positively crowded up north compared to here...I haven't seen a woman in 8 years

Ahem, there are one or two women in west Wales

I know you're just a mirage cruelly offering false hope "

Cruel? Me?! I'm still waiting for my honey ice cream mister

Its ok the politicians think.our electricity comes from whippet poop.

Its scenic not desolate....

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

It's delightful in Derby

By *ollie_JCouple  over a year ago

London

Have you all been to Stockton?

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I'm not entirely convinced on fracking for this country. Yes there are desolate, rather beautiful places. It makes sense to frack where there are fewer people. Geologically, what will the affect be on water, earthquakes, landslides etc?

"Have you all been to Stockton?"

I live inbetween middlesbrough and stockton and stockton is far worse! although our area does get far too much bad press there are some outrageous spots of beauty!

Yarm on tees part of the borough of stockton was voted the best highstreet on the uk a few years back

Fracking is a good way to create a lot of jobs in this area and across the country. I currently work for a small engineering firm who provide services and procure a wide range of instruments and equipment for the oil and gas sector and were looking at trying to cash in on the fracking

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

Cuadrilla started a test drilling last week in beautiful Sussex at a village named Balcombe.

The protesters have been out trying to disrupt things but seems like fracking us here time stay after all the licences have been issued.

theres alreay a open cast coal mine in newcastle citycentre on the old brewery site off westgate rd near st james park

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i was just talking to my neighbour about this...

I say neighbour.... it was fella on next hill!!!

just as well the echo's go far on them there hills..........

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

I'm all for fracking, cheaper energy and less reliance on Russian gas. That said, I would not want to see national Parks destroyed. There are certainly a few cities Oop North that would not be missed if they were flattened to get the gas out!

Like Middlesbrough! "

you can't say that... Teeside Liberation Front will be after you armed with Parmo's...........

"Its ok the politicians think.our electricity comes from whippet poop.

Its scenic not desolate.... "

city slickers....I hate em

"

Like Middlesbrough!

you can't say that... Teeside Liberation Front will be after you armed with Parmo's..........."

I like parmos though.

By *ILLY aka SirslagWoman  over a year ago

Land of the Prince Bishops

"hello to who ever is up there ... from the beautiful but crowded southeast"
hello down there from the spacious and beautiful Land of the Prince Bishops

Southwick

"Cuadrilla started a test drilling last week in beautiful Sussex at a village named Balcombe.

The protesters have been out trying to disrupt things but seems like fracking us here time stay after all the licences have been issued."

*is here to stay

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Cuadrilla started a test drilling last week in beautiful Sussex at a village named Balcombe.

The protesters have been out trying to disrupt things but seems like fracking us here time stay after all the licences have been issued.

*is here to stay"

weird thing in that case is that there have been no licences issued with regards to fracking at all and the owners have said there is no plans to either.....

they are actually suppose to be test drilling for oil, but now some have used this to put this in

NIMBY-ism at its best.......

By *ncutgemMan  over a year ago

Bath ish

By desolate i guess he means not fucked up by mans filth and ruination

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

To frack or not to frack? that is the question.

Firstly though we need to look at the alternatives.

Coal? Just way too dirty.

Imported gas? That will work well as far as keeping the lights on is concerned, but the political and balance of payments implications are quite scary. In the current climate does anyone really want to be reliant on the middle east or Russia? and we have a big enough black hole in the balance of payments without adding any more.

Nuclear Power? A very emotive subject but one that has to be addressed. On the whole nuclear power is very clean and safer than most people think. The worlds two major accidents have been well reported but it must be remembered that one was at a power station that should never have been built in an earthquake zone, and the other was a badly maintained station in a then bankrupt communist dictatorship. Western Europe has not had a serious accident in the whole history of nuclear power.

Renewables? Solar power technology is still very much in its infancy and while it could be an option for the future it wont solve the problem of keeping the lights on for the next 10-20 years. For example a solar farm would need 95 acres to power around 5000 homes, a nuclear power station to power 2 million homes can be built on 80 acres.

Last but not least we come to wind farms. Well the greenies may want to shout me down but basically they are useless. They achieve nothing other than big profits for their manufacturers and the land owners that site them. They produce very little electricity, none at all on windless days, they create more CO2 in their manufacture than they ever save in their working life, they are horrendously expensive and can only survive through subsidy, and are a terrible blot on Britains landscape.

So back to fracking. Britain is sat on massive reserves of shale gas, the last estimate was over a trillion cubic meters, we don't have to import it so nobody can turn off the tap, and eventually could become balance of payments positive with Britain becoming a net exporter of gas. On the downside there is some evidence of earth tremors in the US but none serious, and again some minor pollution of groundwater. Don't believe the water tap blowtorch clip so popular on Youtube, while it is shown as an anti fracking example the reality is that it is coal gas from old mines that causes the flame and has done so for years, long before anybody had heard of fracking.

So to the last question.

Do we frack in the south or the "desolate" north?

Simple answer is frack where the gas is.

It sound like a swear word like "frackin' hell.

Costa Blanca Spain...

Frackin or fuckin? I like both

Having spent over 25years in oil and gas exploration and having first hand experience with Fracking opertaions….!.

I’m of the opinion we don’t need to risk exploiting this resources until we develop greater safeguards….

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"

Like Middlesbrough!

you can't say that... Teeside Liberation Front will be after you armed with Parmo's..........."

Now Brother Fabio, is that the Teeside Liberation Front or the Liberation Front of Teeside...we need to know

Costa Blanca Spain...

You make a fair point Soxy.

While I wouldn't advocate a fracking free for all, I think that there has to be a time to start. In the US they have already learned from early mistakes and Britain can learn from them. Most safeguards in any industry are learned from experience, so if you don't start somewhere you never learn.

Fracking is not an exact science and contrary to popular belief does not create a glut of long term jobs in the areas where its done..

The desire to start mining is being driven by corporate greed rather than a consumer based necessity….!. It will not lead to dramatically cheaper gas for consumers

Britain is reliant our reserves of ground water for much of everything we do,,,,

At present we can not adequately control the migration of subterranean toxin seepage caused by fracking that could potentially cause damage our ground water supplies and would take many generations to correct if and where it goes wrong…..

On a small densely populated land mass like mainland Britain the potential risk to our water supplies is far greater that the danger we face of running out of hydrocarbon.

We have sufficient untapped offshore hydro-carbon reserves available at present and we are also succesfully revisiting older reservoirs that were thought to be exhausted but where new technology is allowing us to return them back into financially viable production ….

Shale gas has been there for millions of years and we can afford to leave it there for a few more years until such time as necessity and risk control can be balanced to greater effect,,,,

The lesson leaned from Fracking in the USA bare little relevance to the situation in the UK where the natural geology is completely different in terms of being able to predict down-hole losses..

We do not need to risk exploiting shale gas at present….

I've only just caught up on the news for the day and it turns out Lord Howell has apologised for saying the desolate North East. He meant to say the desolate North West.

Southwick

"I've only just caught up on the news for the day and it turns out Lord Howell has apologised for saying the desolate North East. He meant to say the desolate North West.

"

How magnanimous of him

"I've only just caught up on the news for the day and it turns out Lord Howell has apologised for saying the desolate North East. He meant to say the desolate North West.

How magnanimous of him "

It is, isn't it. This was in the Telegraph.

» Add a new message to this topic