FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Scrap all unemployment benefits.There's a job available if you want one ?

Scrap all unemployment benefits.There's a job available if you want one ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *allDarkFoxForYou OP   Man  over a year ago

Winchester/London

Scrap all unemployment benefits as there's a job available if you want one.

That was the gist of a conversation I heard today between two middle aged couples on a train.

I was pretty shocked as I would consider that an ignorant claim minus statistical merit.

If you're presently unemployed are you dodging jobs ?

Would you work out of pride even if it left you worse off than on benefits should a potential job emerge ?

Would you only work if the figures stacked up to make it worth your while in a potential benefits trap ?

How far would you travel to look for and then to perform said job on a daily basis ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *opping_candyWoman  over a year ago

West Yorkshire

I've recently signed on for the first time.

Having just qualified as a teacher they have given me 13 weeks whereby I only have to look for teaching jobs, after that it will be a case of widening the search.

By then I should hopefully be doing supply work and be able to sign off anyway, but if that wasn't the case I would happily take a job in another field to pay the bills but with a mortgage to pay and kids to feed I can not see me taking a job that would leave me worse off. As I get jsa which is just over £70 a week I think I would have trouble finding a job that pays less than that unless I was paying out vast amounts on travel to and from work.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What I don't understand, it when claiming job seekers, you have to prove that you are seeking work, ie records of people you have phoned, written to etc. But when you see people on benefits interviewed on TV, they make statements like......Why work when I would be financially no better off........why work as a menial when I have a qualification etc. How come someone doesn't stop their benefits, for declaring they have no intention of getting a low paid job ?

Winchester/London

"I've recently signed on for the first time.

Having just qualified as a teacher they have given me 13 weeks whereby I only have to look for teaching jobs, after that it will be a case of widening the search.

By then I should hopefully be doing supply work and be able to sign off anyway, but if that wasn't the case I would happily take a job in another field to pay the bills but with a mortgage to pay and kids to feed I can not see me taking a job that would leave me worse off. As I get jsa which is just over £70 a week I think I would have trouble finding a job that pays less than that unless I was paying out vast amounts on travel to and from work."

Good luck regarding your search in a field that oneself is more than familiar with

I agree that in many scenarios even if you would work for less than benefits as a cold claim you can't re mortgage and kids costs.

By then I should hopefully be doing supply work and be able to sign off anyway, but if that wasn't the case I would happily take a job in another field to pay the bills but with a mortgage to pay and kids to feed I can not see me taking a job that would leave me worse off. As I get jsa which is just over £70 a week I think I would have trouble finding a job that pays less than that unless I was paying out vast amounts on travel to and from work.

Good luck regarding your search in a field that oneself is more than familiar with

I agree that in many scenarios even if you would work for less than benefits as a cold claim you can't re mortgage and kids costs."

All I will say on this for now is look at it the other way round should somebody who works their arse off for a wage be worse off than somebody sitting at home ?

By *hyllyphyllyMan  over a year ago

Bradford

I have just come back from my weekly visit to the job center....

My goal posts have been moved.... I used to have to apply for 10 jobs a week, now it's 3 jobs per day including sat n sun. That's 21 jobs per week if you can't count.

I agree that in many scenarios even if you would work for less than benefits as a cold claim you can't re mortgage and kids costs.

All I will say on this for now is look at it the other way round should somebody who works their arse off for a wage be worse off than somebody sitting at home ?"

In a word - no!

The way some people act, it's like people on benefits were millionaires.

I'm pro benefits. I've never signed on (touch wood!) but it's nice to know that if the shit hit the fan, I have options.

In a time where redundancy is a genuine reality for people, why are we slamming resources that protect people and their families?

And yes, there are those who abuse the system but you'll always have your chancers in life and we're not chasing the wealthy tax-dodgers with pitchforks, are we?

So if we're all honest, the system will benefit us all.

All I will say on this for now is look at it the other way round should somebody who works their arse off for a wage be worse off than somebody sitting at home ?"

no, never. how could this possibly be right. can this happen!

im surprised a teacher is out of work in England - I thought that was one sector that needed employees. I know it is not so in northern Ireland as teachers here are very well paid in comparison to others whereas in England a teachers wage isn't so great. I wonder if that's why the education is better in northern Ireland than in England.

By *irtyDee33Woman  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

I can only work school hours as my son is disabled, it is very hard to find a job in just those hours, I want to be the one who makes his breakfast and sees him to school and be there when he comes home!! I don't have family or friends who can help with child care and don't trust anyone else to take care of his needs!!

I don't see I have much choice!!

West Yorkshire

No of course they shouldn't.I think the wages people are allowed to pay for 'apprenticeships' these days are disgusting. Companies taking on administration apprentices and paying a much reduced wage, when a couple of years ago they'd just have employed an administrator and paid a proper wage. Is it because they know people are desperate for work?

"The way some people act, it's like people on benefits were millionaires.

I'm pro benefits. I've never signed on (touch wood!) but it's nice to know that if the shit hit the fan, I have options.

In a time where redundancy is a genuine reality for people, why are we slamming resources that protect people and their families?

And yes, there are those who abuse the system but you'll always have your chancers in life and we're not chasing the wealthy tax-dodgers with pitchforks, are we?

So if we're all honest, the system will benefit us all. "

Yes that's the theory however when I was made redundant last year I went to find out what benefits I would be entitled to. Guess what practically nothing as my earnings the year before counted had been to high

"I can only work school hours as my son is disabled, it is very hard to find a job in just those hours, I want to be the one who makes his breakfast and sees him to school and be there when he comes home!! I don't have family or friends who can help with child care and don't trust anyone else to take care of his needs!!

I don't see I have much choice!!"

youre a good mum, thats how it should be.

Ive just graduated with a vocational degree.. and as ive been studying to better myself am NOT entitled to benefits. There are few jobs in the public sector and those that do come up are given to more experienced people. so im £15,000 in debt through uni fees.. no income at all.. and no job prospects... fabulous!!!!!

Really put a downer on my graduation day

The arguments re benefits have been all over the forums of late - just do a search!

Tired of going over the same topic - so I'll avoid in future.

All I will say is that a fair and just benefit system is essential to support those in need at specific times in their lives. But it should never be seen, or allowed to be used, as an alternative to work where there is no reason for someone not to earn themselves a living. Especially by those that have never paid a penny in income tax or national insurance contributions.

West Yorkshire

All I will say on this for now is look at it the other way round should somebody who works their arse off for a wage be worse off than somebody sitting at home ?

im surprised a teacher is out of work in England - I thought that was one sector that needed employees. I know it is not so in northern Ireland as teachers here are very well paid in comparison to others whereas in England a teachers wage isn't so great. I wonder if that's why the education is better in northern Ireland than in England."

Trust me I didn't plan to be out of work. But I'm not the only one, about a third of the people on my course haven't got a job for September, and it's a very well regarded course in this area. There's also a number of other unis with x amount of teachers just finishing their training, plus the pgce students.

The jobs I applied for were highly competitive and in most cases when I got feedback from an unsuccessful application I was told that they took on someone who wasn't a newly qualified teacher.

My plan is to do supply from September, maybe find a term or two of maternity cover or something from January and then hope to get permanent work for September 2014.

By *irtyDee33Woman  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

"I can only work school hours as my son is disabled, it is very hard to find a job in just those hours, I want to be the one who makes his breakfast and sees him to school and be there when he comes home!! I don't have family or friends who can help with child care and don't trust anyone else to take care of his needs!!

I don't see I have much choice!!

youre a good mum, thats how it should be. "

Thank u xx

im surprised a teacher is out of work in England - I thought that was one sector that needed employees. I know it is not so in northern Ireland as teachers here are very well paid in comparison to others whereas in England a teachers wage isn't so great. I wonder if that's why the education is better in northern Ireland than in England.

Trust me I didn't plan to be out of work. But I'm not the only one, about a third of the people on my course haven't got a job for September, and it's a very well regarded course in this area. There's also a number of other unis with x amount of teachers just finishing their training, plus the pgce students.

The jobs I applied for were highly competitive and in most cases when I got feedback from an unsuccessful application I was told that they took on someone who wasn't a newly qualified teacher.

My plan is to do supply from September, maybe find a term or two of maternity cover or something from January and then hope to get permanent work for September 2014."

I'm sure you will get in somewhere. I suppose the best route is get into a long term locum post, get yourself known to the school and you will get in on next interview. I wish you all the best

West Yorkshire

Thankyou

"The way some people act, it's like people on benefits were millionaires.

So if we're all honest, the system will benefit us all.

Yes that's the theory however when I was made redundant last year I went to find out what benefits I would be entitled to. Guess what practically nothing as my earnings the year before counted had been to high "

I did say if!

Jokes aside, what did you apply for? If you don't mind me asking, of course. But this is the point, people can't really sustain themselves on benefits and sometimes the help is minimal but it is out there.

"Ive just graduated with a vocational degree.. and as ive been studying to better myself am NOT entitled to benefits. There are few jobs in the public sector and those that do come up are given to more experienced people. so im £15,000 in debt through uni fees.. no income at all.. and no job prospects... fabulous!!!!!

Really put a downer on my graduation day"

That degree is for life and its a shame you may struggle for now but im sure you will eventually get your act together and then go on to have a successful life.So in the long term you hasn't it been worth it?

"What I don't understand, it when claiming job seekers, you have to prove that you are seeking work, ie records of people you have phoned, written to etc. But when you see people on benefits interviewed on TV, they make statements like......Why work when I would be financially no better off........why work as a menial when I have a qualification etc. How come someone doesn't stop their benefits, for declaring they have no intention of getting a low paid job ?"
can answer that, if you apply for a job through the job centre they will advise you that they can make you take a job that leaves you worse off

"What I don't understand, it when claiming job seekers, you have to prove that you are seeking work, ie records of people you have phoned, written to etc. But when you see people on benefits interviewed on TV, they make statements like......Why work when I would be financially no better off........why work as a menial when I have a qualification etc. How come someone doesn't stop their benefits, for declaring they have no intention of getting a low paid job ?can answer that, if you apply for a job through the job centre they will advise you that they can make you take a job that leaves you worse off "
oops they can not

By *rsIdiotWoman  over a year ago

Bedworth

I remember being out of work some time ago and it was dreadful! Each fortnight when we went to sign on we were treated like the scum of the earth. We claimed a little over £100 a week JSA as a couple and then had our rent and council tax paid. The total came to around £900 a month in benefits.

At the time my husband had a casual job and i'd been supporting us both as he'd been unable to find full time work since relocating to live with me. When I lost my job and went to sign on they forced my husband to give up his few hours a week as they were deducting more from our benefits than he was earning

They then tried to force me to take a minimum wage role which meant I would be working full time and we would be worse off financially after travel expenses. Of course, I refused which they didn't like and remained on benefits a couple of months more until the right job came along.

After my experiences of being unemployed it's something that I hope I never have to go through again

"What I don't understand, it when claiming job seekers, you have to prove that you are seeking work, ie records of people you have phoned, written to etc. But when you see people on benefits interviewed on TV, they make statements like......Why work when I would be financially no better off........why work as a menial when I have a qualification etc. How come someone doesn't stop their benefits, for declaring they have no intention of getting a low paid job ?can answer that, if you apply for a job through the job centre they will advise you that they can make you take a job that leaves you worse off oops they can not "

But why do people have to prove they are looking for work then, if you can go on television and declare you refuse to take a low paid job, til one within your choice turns up ?

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

"Scrap all unemployment benefits as there's a job available if you want one.

That was the gist of a conversation I heard today between two middle aged couples on a train.

I was pretty shocked as I would consider that an ignorant claim minus statistical merit.

Would you work out of pride even if it left you worse off than on benefits should a potential job emerge ?

Would you only work if the figures stacked up to make it worth your while in a potential benefits trap ?

How far would you travel to look for and then to perform said job on a daily basis ?

"

To often we enjoy the comfort of opinion,without the discomfort of thought.

-john f Kennedy

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

from what i understand from an unemployed friend, the job centre, or whatever its called now, insist you take any job you can, but its been made so much more difficult now with all the certificates etc needed to get a job.

even to go cleaning new build houses on a building site, you now need a cscs certificate, which costs money to get which you may not have.

so it seems they are telling you to apply for the jobs that they have put obstacles in the way of getting them

By then I should hopefully be doing supply work and be able to sign off anyway, but if that wasn't the case I would happily take a job in another field

to pay the bills but with a mortgage to pay and kids to feed I can not see me taking a job that would leave me worse off. As I get jsa which is just over £70 a week I think I would have trouble finding a job that pays less than that unless I was paying out vast amounts on travel to and from work."

I'm in the same boat.... been doing supply work since march, the odd day here + there, and now its the holidays, no work or jobs advertised, advisor told me to put no suitable vacancies in my job search diary, and the bloke who I went see to sign on with, moaned at me told me I wasn't looking hard enough!!

West Yorkshire

By then I should hopefully be doing supply work and be able to sign off anyway, but if that wasn't the case I would happily take a job in another field

to pay the bills but with a mortgage to pay and kids to feed I can not see me taking a job that would leave me worse off. As I get jsa which is just over £70 a week I think I would have trouble finding a job that pays less than that unless I was paying out vast amounts on travel to and from work.

I'm in the same boat.... been doing supply work since march, the odd day here + there, and now its the holidays, no work or jobs advertised, advisor told me to put no suitable vacancies in my job search diary, and the bloke who I went see to sign on with, moaned at me told me I wasn't looking hard enough!! "

I was asked at sign-on on Monday when the teaching jobs come up - 'around august?' the advisor ventured.

No love...they've been and gone....she didn't seem to get that.

Then after I'd left she rang me and left a voicemail saying there were lots of jobs on universal jobmatch - I've even brought that up myself before saying that every single job on UJ for teaching was an agency ad! There is no job at the end of that advert ffs.

to pay the bills but with a mortgage to pay and kids to feed I can not see me taking a job that would leave me worse off. As I get jsa which is just over £70 a week I think I would have trouble finding a job that pays less than that unless I was paying out vast amounts on travel to and from work.

I'm in the same boat.... been doing supply work since march, the odd day here + there, and now its the holidays, no work or jobs advertised, advisor told me to put no suitable vacancies in my job search diary, and the bloke who I went see to sign on with, moaned at me told me I wasn't looking hard enough!!

I was asked at sign-on on Monday when the teaching jobs come up - 'around august?' the advisor ventured.

Then after I'd left she rang me and left a voicemail saying there were lots of jobs on universal jobmatch - I've even brought that up myself before saying that every single job on UJ for teaching was an agency ad! There is no job at the end of that advert ffs."

I'm with an agency and to be fair they are really good, but all the jobs on uj are for the same agency im with!!

West Yorkshire

Then after I'd left she rang me and left a voicemail saying there were lots of jobs on universal jobmatch - I've even brought that up myself before saying that every single job on UJ for teaching was an agency ad! There is no job at the end of that advert ffs.

I'm with an agency and to be fair they are really good, but all the jobs on uj are for the same agency im with!! "

I've not got a problem with agencies and have signed up with a handful of good ones. She was making out that this ad was a 'job' but it's not grr. And they're actually based in Manchester, think I'll stick to agencies in my area!

"from what i understand from an unemployed friend, the job centre, or whatever its called now, insist you take any job you can, but its been made so much more difficult now with all the certificates etc needed to get a job.

even to go cleaning new build houses on a building site, you now need a cscs certificate, which costs money to get which you may not have.

so it seems they are telling you to apply for the jobs that they have put obstacles in the way of getting them "

The cost of certification is not a great deal, especially cscs. Price up something like gas safe where it has to be paid for yearly and exams have to be taken every 5 years.

The dole will pay for cscs cards, although in my case back along they paid for a labourer's card and not a tradesman card, so effectively useless. The company doing the training were not interested as they wanted the money for doing the course, blatantly asking us not to score highly in certain tests so that a improvement was shown on a later test to increase the amount of money they could claim for the courses...

The job center staff haven't got the resources to badger everyone continually. If you have been claiming for say 6 months they will then monitor you for say 4-6 weeks where you will be expected to do more than just show what your jobsearch has entailed and sign. After the 4-6 weeks if you still haven't found anything you will go back to a quick check and sign for another 6 months before they will intensify their checks for another period.

Most people who are swinging the lead will try and get themselves on the sick know known as ESA for the simple reason that they are paid more and do not have to sign on, although the hoop jumping to receive this benefit has increased greatly over recent years, sometimes to the detriment of legitimate claimants.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

My son did a 12 hour shift last night he's travelled 60 miles there band 60 miles back to hand an application form in as he wants to move and wanted them to see what he's like in person and yes back doing 12 hours tonight

Winchester/London

"Scrap all unemployment benefits as there's a job available if you want one.

To often we enjoy the comfort of opinion,without the discomfort of thought.

-john f Kennedy"

It appears that most people believe unemployment benefits should exist as a safety net for those who have become unemployed through no fault of their own.

After all one day "it could be you".

I don't believe a scenario which leaves you better off unemployed rather than working can be healthy for the person,the state or indeed the economy

I can't believe there is any scenario where you are worse off working than not.. Not with tax credits.

"I can't believe there is any scenario where you are worse off working than not.. Not with tax credits."

Alright for those entitled to working tax credits, not everyone is.

Eh i wanna talk about sex nt this crap.

West Yorkshire

"Eh i wanna talk about sex nt this crap."

Don't read it then?

Winchester/London

"Eh i wanna talk about sex nt this crap.

Don't read it then? "

"I can't believe there is any scenario where you are worse off working than not.. Not with tax credits."

It's true if you take a low paying job or a few hours work because that's all you can get you will still be able to claim to help out.

"Eh i wanna talk about sex nt this crap.

Don't read it then? "

Yep our thoughts exactly

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

tax credits have not always been available,i have worked rather than go on benefits when I got divorced,i couldn't make ends meet so I took a second job,my Son asked me why I wasn't on benfits and I said because im fit and healthy and I have had three kids by choice so I felt it was up to me to take care of them

"tax credits have not always been available,i have worked rather than go on benefits when I got divorced,i couldn't make ends meet so I took a second job,my Son asked me why I wasn't on benfits and I said because im fit and healthy and I have had three kids by choice so I felt it was up to me to take care of them"

» Add a new message to this topic