FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > PC /Laptop doctor returns......

PC /Laptop doctor returns......

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So its sunday im in a good mood so the PC doc is in the house and happy to help

Post up your problems and ill try and help the best i can

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Not long had a new keyboard on my laptop and its stopped working...think it may be the conection has come loose but not sure how to fix it

"Not long had a new keyboard on my laptop and its stopped working...think it may be the conection has come loose but not sure how to fix it"

Hi mate

Yes more than likely the ribbon has come loose or wasnt fitted correctly, its underneath the keyboard itself.

Depending on the make of laptop it can be an easy fix, if you go on you tube there are usually videos to show you how to remove the keyboard, you can then re insert the ribbon and secure it

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

I made and upload my own mail order site, somehow customers can still order a product I no longer stock and removed from my site years ago..,

Where am I going wrong please?

I deleted my webcam off my Asus netbook by mistake and also cam has disappeared off chatroom too. I can use it on Skype but I wonder if you could tell me how to get it back on netbook/fab chatroom please? Ive tried going back to previous month etc, doesn't reload it. Thank you

"I made and upload my own mail order site, somehow customers can still order a product I no longer stock and removed from my site years ago..,

Where am I going wrong please?"

Hmmm not sure about that ? Have you tried to look at the site yourself and see if the product is still listed ?? If so go offline edit the site and remove any references to the product ??

"I deleted my webcam off my Asus netbook by mistake and also cam has disappeared off chatroom too. I can use it on Skype but I wonder if you could tell me how to get it back on netbook/fab chatroom please? Ive tried going back to previous month etc, doesn't reload it. Thank you"

Hmmm if its working on skype then its still installed ( as hardware ) Suggest you go to Asus website click on support and try and re download and install the software/drivers for the webcam

hiding from cock pics.

"I made and upload my own mail order site, somehow customers can still order a product I no longer stock and removed from my site years ago..,

Hmmm not sure about that ? Have you tried to look at the site yourself and see if the product is still listed ?? If so go offline edit the site and remove any references to the product ??"

I can't see it on the site or or find any reference. I use iWeb if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help

Hmmm not sure about that ? Have you tried to look at the site yourself and see if the product is still listed ?? If so go offline edit the site and remove any references to the product ??

I can't see it on the site or or find any reference. I use iWeb if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help "

No prob its a little out of my league to be honest, seems odd that people can still order it though if no reference or info on site ?? Perhaps a ghost on the server ?

Hey Jamie! Fox's laptop died on her the other day and the daft sod took it in to PC World!!

Apart from the fact the wallpaper is a bit 'risque' - there's one or two 'art photos' on there as well as some normal day to day stuff she'd like back!

I've sorted her a new laptop but is there any chance you can pull off the hard drive content for her in return for sexual favours? (You, Sam - or if you didn't want them then I'll have them myself!)

Cheers matey!

"Hey Jamie! Fox's laptop died on her the other day and the daft sod took it in to PC World!!

Apart from the fact the wallpaper is a bit 'risque' - there's one or two 'art photos' on there as well as some normal day to day stuff she'd like back!

I've sorted her a new laptop but is there any chance you can pull off the hard drive content for her in return for sexual favours? (You, Sam - or if you didn't want them then I'll have them myself!)

Cheers matey! "

Ha ha Yeh course i can matey no probs at all, inbox me ill give you my number and can arrange to bring it over and will copy of old hard drive and put it on new one for you

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

When I turn my laptop on the lights flash and stuff like its doing what it's meant to but the screen stays black! Not a flicker! I assume the screen is fooked? lol.. It's old!!

"When I turn my laptop on the lights flash and stuff like its doing what it's meant to but the screen stays black! Not a flicker! I assume the screen is fooked? lol.. It's old!! "

Do the fans start up etc and does it make the windows start up sound ??

hiding from cock pics.

Thank you so much x

"Thank you so much x"

No prob

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

"When I turn my laptop on the lights flash and stuff like its doing what it's meant to but the screen stays black! Not a flicker! I assume the screen is fooked? lol.. It's old!!

Do the fans start up etc and does it make the windows start up sound ?? "

Errrrr.... I'm pretty sure the fans do. Can't say I noticed the sound tbh. But it was a couple of months ago, screens are expensive tho eh??

"When I turn my laptop on the lights flash and stuff like its doing what it's meant to but the screen stays black! Not a flicker! I assume the screen is fooked? lol.. It's old!!

Do the fans start up etc and does it make the windows start up sound ??

Errrrr.... I'm pretty sure the fans do. Can't say I noticed the sound tbh. But it was a couple of months ago, screens are expensive tho eh?? "

Depends on the model, some slightly older laptops are only about £40 to buy the screen ??

It could be a couple of things though ranging from a loose cable connection, inverter has gone , or screen has gone or the GPU ( graphics processing unit ) on motherboard has gone ??

Switch the laptop on and hold the screen up to the light and see you can see and faint images at all ?? That means inverter.

If nothing at all then its either screen or GPU.

What model is it ??

"I deleted my webcam off my Asus netbook by mistake and also cam has disappeared off chatroom too. I can use it on Skype but I wonder if you could tell me how to get it back on netbook/fab chatroom please? Ive tried going back to previous month etc, doesn't reload it. Thank you

Hmmm if its working on skype then its still installed ( as hardware ) Suggest you go to Asus website click on support and try and re download and install the software/drivers for the webcam "

thank you I will try that

"I deleted my webcam off my Asus netbook by mistake and also cam has disappeared off chatroom too. I can use it on Skype but I wonder if you could tell me how to get it back on netbook/fab chatroom please? Ive tried going back to previous month etc, doesn't reload it. Thank you

Hmmm if its working on skype then its still installed ( as hardware ) Suggest you go to Asus website click on support and try and re download and install the software/drivers for the webcam thank you I will try that "

No probs let me know

Can we all being our pc/ laptops along to Xtasia in February so you can fix them for us ?

We promise we'll keep Jamie happy whilst you're busy

Im really interested in your rigs specs, being a fellow enthusiast myself!

Wife's PC blew a fuse due to a faulty lead when it did it seems to have affected my PCM as well. I can not get any ports to work . Any help gratefully received

"Im really interested in your rigs specs, being a fellow enthusiast myself!"

Currently have the following rig....

8 core AMD running at 3.5 Ghz

12GB Ram ( 8GB ballistix dual channel )

128GB SSD ( for Win 7 ultimate 64bit )

2TB Sata for files etc

Sapphire Radeon 7770 Graphics card

"Can we all being our pc/ laptops along to Xtasia in February so you can fix them for us ?

We promise we'll keep Jamie happy whilst you're busy "

Lol its Sam you will need to keep amused, Im Jamie the male half lol

"Wife's PC blew a fuse due to a faulty lead when it did it seems to have affected my PCM as well. I can not get any ports to work . Any help gratefully received"

Your PCM ??

An old laptop of mine which was running windows xp decided to die after I did a system restore.

Loads up with a blue screen error now and then shuts off again.

Not too fussed about the laptop anyway as its so old but is there a way I can get all my files off the hard drive still? Got lots of pics and music on there which is like to retrieve

"An old laptop of mine which was running windows xp decided to die after I did a system restore.

Not too fussed about the laptop anyway as its so old but is there a way I can get all my files off the hard drive still? Got lots of pics and music on there which is like to retrieve"

Yes you can, if you look online you can buy whats called a USB docking station.

You remove your hard drive from old laptop, plug the docking station into a pc or laptop then insert the old hard drive and you will have access to all your folders and files

That's brilliant, will have to pick myself me of those up

Thanks very much for the reply

"That's brilliant, will have to pick myself me of those up

Thanks very much for the reply "

No prob

a good trolley and good programming in the background will sort that

"An old laptop of mine which was running windows xp decided to die after I did a system restore.

Not too fussed about the laptop anyway as its so old but is there a way I can get all my files off the hard drive still? Got lots of pics and

music on there which is like to retrieve

You remove your hard drive from old laptop, plug the docking station into a pc or laptop then insert the old hard drive and you will have access to all your folders and files "

does this work if hardrive needs recovering

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

My pc has been away for two weeks and is coming back tomorrow with a new HDD. It's only 18 months old and the original died

But, hey ho. That's life I guess. At least it's been fixed for free. I've had a smaller one fitted and getting an external one for files etc.

Any particular make I should be looking out for?? Are seagate still very reliable?

Not too fussed about the laptop anyway as its so old but is there a way I can get all my files off the hard drive still? Got lots of pics and

music on there which is like to retrieve

You remove your hard drive from old laptop, plug the docking station into a pc or laptop then insert the old hard drive and you will have access to all your folders and files

does this work if hardrive needs recovering"

Unlikely, you will need specific software to recover files etc.

"My pc has been away for two weeks and is coming back tomorrow with a new HDD. It's only 18 months old and the original died

But, hey ho. That's life I guess. At least it's been fixed for free. I've had a smaller one fitted and getting an external one for files etc.

Any particular make I should be looking out for?? Are seagate still very reliable? "

Western digital are pretty good and you can pick up external drives for a good price these days, try dabs, ebuyer or novatech for some good deals

"Can we all being our pc/ laptops along to Xtasia in February so you can fix them for us ?

Lol its Sam you will need to keep amused, Im Jamie the male half lol "

Bloomin' androgynous names lol

Lol its Sam you will need to keep amused, Im Jamie the male half lol

Bloomin' androgynous names lol "

Keeps em guessing lol

We promise we'll keep Jamie happy whilst you're busy "

Oh yeah will keep Mister busy too

Jamie my question - my OH is a geek and IT guru, can you tell me in C++ how to write a code for disabling his machines?

"Jamie my question - my OH is a geek and IT guru, can you tell me in C++ how to write a code for disabling his machines? "

Lol no but can tell you in DOS ??

Line 1 " remove battery "

Line 2 " hide power cable "

Line 3 " Deny all knowledge of line 2 and 3"

Line 4 " goto line 1 "

I need a recommendation for a new graphics card. I'm not a serious gamer but my nvidia 9600GT is a little out dated...lol

"I need a recommendation for a new graphics card. I'm not a serious gamer but my nvidia 9600GT is a little out dated...lol"

Whats your budget pal ??

"Jamie my question - my OH is a geek and IT guru, can you tell me in C++ how to write a code for disabling his machines?

Line 4 " goto line 1 "

"

No no no!!!!

Line 5 "'twas Jamie's idea"

"Jamie my question - my OH is a geek and IT guru, can you tell me in C++ how to write a code for disabling his machines?

Line 4 " goto line 1 "

No no no!!!!

Line 5 "'twas Jamie's idea"

"

Ha ha ha !!!

"I need a recommendation for a new graphics card. I'm not a serious gamer but my nvidia 9600GT is a little out dated...lol

Whats your budget pal ?? "

Erm, not really a concern if I'm honest I'd be willing to spend a couple of hundred if needs be.

"I need a recommendation for a new graphics card. I'm not a serious gamer but my nvidia 9600GT is a little out dated...lol

Whats your budget pal ??

Erm, not really a concern if I'm honest I'd be willing to spend a couple of hundred if needs be."

Oh, I've also heard that powerful graphics cards can interfere with Pro-Tools, not sure if that's true but its partly why I've not upgraded...

Whats your budget pal ??

Erm, not really a concern if I'm honest I'd be willing to spend a couple of hundred if needs be."

Ok cool well two i would recommend are the Geforce GTX 650Ti ( £125 quid from novatech )

Or if you want a little more then go for the GeForce GTX 660 SC ( £157 )

First card will do the job very very well, but the second will blow you away with its capability, also ifyou buy from novatech you get the new Batman game thrown in on the second one and a £50 play voucher with the first.

They would be my recommendations

Whats your budget pal ??

Erm, not really a concern if I'm honest I'd be willing to spend a couple of hundred if needs be.

Oh, I've also heard that powerful graphics cards can interfere with Pro-Tools, not sure if that's true but its partly why I've not upgraded..."

Will look into that but unlikely IMO, be aware though that both card will need a 6 pin power plug from the PSU to run

Nice one, I'll look into both of them...

What I was told regarding Pro Tools was that it 'see's' the graphics card as extra RAM or something like that and gets confused causing system crashes and instabilities during processing. I'm not computer savvy as such but that's how I understood it...lol

"Nice one, I'll look into both of them...

What I was told regarding Pro Tools was that it 'see's' the graphics card as extra RAM or something like that and gets confused causing system crashes and instabilities during processing. I'm not computer savvy as such but that's how I understood it...lol"

No prob And that does kind of make sense in a funny way, i will look into it for you and report back shortly

What I was told regarding Pro Tools was that it 'see's' the graphics card as extra RAM or something like that and gets confused causing system crashes and instabilities during processing. I'm not computer savvy as such but that's how I understood it...lol

No prob And that does kind of make sense in a funny way, i will look into it for you and report back shortly "

Cheers....

No prob And that does kind of make sense in a funny way, i will look into it for you and report back shortly

Cheers.... "

Are you on mac or pc ??

Cheers....

Are you on mac or pc ?? "

PC....running Windows 7 Professional.

Cheers....

Are you on mac or pc ??

PC....running Windows 7 Professional."

Ok cool give me 5 just wanted to clarify

Ok it does seem that Pro Tools can be a little fussy on system resources lol, however you should be fine with either of those two graphics cards and will inbox you a link to a page on how to optimise Win 7 for Pro tools and ensure there are no freezes or crashes

Hmmm if its working on skype then its still installed ( as hardware ) Suggest you go to Asus website click on support and try and re download and install the software/drivers for the webcam thank you I will try that

No probs let me know "

well I'm a bit of a dumbo but did find driver download, it asked for my licence key which only thing I had was product key so put that in, which it said was incorrect so I'm back to square one but thank you so much for your help

"Ok it does seem that Pro Tools can be a little fussy on system resources lol, however you should be fine with either of those two graphics cards and will inbox you a link to a page on how to optimise Win 7 for Pro tools and ensure there are no freezes or crashes "

Nice one. Thanks for the help...

Hmmm if its working on skype then its still installed ( as hardware ) Suggest you go to Asus website click on support and try and re download and install the software/drivers for the webcam thank you I will try that

No probs let me know well I'm a bit of a dumbo but did find driver download, it asked for my licence key which only thing I had was product key so put that in, which it said was incorrect so I'm back to square one but thank you so much for your help "

Did you go to the Asus website ?? You shouldnt need a product key or licence key for the webcam software ??

No probs let me know well I'm a bit of a dumbo but did find driver download, it asked for my licence key which only thing I had was product key so put that in, which it said was incorrect so I'm back to square one but thank you so much for your help

Did you go to the Asus website ?? You shouldnt need a product key or licence key for the webcam software ?? "

yes maybe I'll have another go, bit awkward enlisting oh help as he asked what I was doing. Thanks

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Do you make house calls? It's running slow, but then it is old. I did the defrag thing but that's all I know to do.

Thanks for your help

No prob its a little out of my league to be honest, seems odd that people can still order it though if no reference or info on site ?? Perhaps a ghost on the server ?"

check whether you've duplicate the reference to the particular item.

"Do you make house calls? It's running slow, but then it is old. I did the defrag thing but that's all I know to do.

"

Lol wish i could !! Ok few tips to get better speed......

1. Download a program Ccleaner ( free ) once installed firstly run the cleaner on left handside of program ( just follow the steps )

The under the cleaner is a registry cleaner, click this and scan for issues once its run click on fix all issues. it will ask you if you want to back up click yes ( default save will be in your documents ) once this is done do a restart and you should notice an increase in speed

If its an older laptop or pc would also recommend upgrading the RAM too

"Do you make house calls? It's running slow, but then it is old. I did the defrag thing but that's all I know to do.

"

You could download ccleaner from cnet. Google ccleaner, select cnet link and download.

Install the software.

Run cleaner. It'll clean most of your unwanted temp. Files. Good free software.

Or else press Windows key with R. Type %temp% press enter. It'll take you to the temp internet folder. Shift delete everything.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

1. Download a program Ccleaner ( free ) once installed firstly run the cleaner on left handside of program ( just follow the steps )

The under the cleaner is a registry cleaner, click this and scan for issues once its run click on fix all issues. it will ask you if you want to back up click yes ( default save will be in your documents ) once this is done do a restart and you should notice an increase in speed

If its an older laptop or pc would also recommend upgrading the RAM too "

I tried that once before and my laptop was buggered for weeks. I had to have someone take everything off and start again.

I can't be trusted.

If its an older laptop or pc would also recommend upgrading the RAM too

I tried that once before and my laptop was buggered for weeks. I had to have someone take everything off and start again.

I can't be trusted."

Lol ok thats fair enough, Ccleaner is almost idiot proof but understand

If you are anywhere near watford at all the next time we are up ill pop in and speed it up if you like ??

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

"My pc has been away for two weeks and is coming back tomorrow with a new HDD. It's only 18 months old and the original died

Any particular make I should be looking out for?? Are seagate still very reliable?

Western digital are pretty good and you can pick up external drives for a good price these days, try dabs, ebuyer or novatech for some good deals "

Thanks Jamie

Western digital are pretty good and you can pick up external drives for a good price these days, try dabs, ebuyer or novatech for some good deals

Thanks Jamie "

No prob

By *smWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Hi Doc

dug out my hubby's old jcv dv camcorder, to upload all his films he made while fighting cancer the first time, only problem is, we need a fire wire connection, but there isn't one on our new lappy, can you get a adapter that will work, we searched but we're so confused.

Thank you in advance. X

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

What is the PC name for a blackboard ?

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

"What is the PC name for a blackboard ?"

A chalk board but none of the schools here use them now they use interactive whiteboards.

No probs let me know well I'm a bit of a dumbo but did find driver download, it asked for my licence key which only thing I had was product key so put that in, which it said was incorrect so I'm back to square one but thank you so much for your help

Did you go to the Asus website ?? You shouldnt need a product key or licence key for the webcam software ?? "

I was rubbish lol but I sent you a private message explaining how things went, hope that was ok and thank you

Line 4 " goto line 1 "

"

if (that == "DOS")

{

me.eat_my_hat();

}

Line 4 " goto line 1 "

if (that == "DOS")

{

me.eat_my_hat();

}"

I know matey lol is it line code or whatever it was on the bbc micro lol ???

Line 4 " goto line 1 "

if (that == "DOS")

{

me.eat_my_hat();

}

I know matey lol is it line code or whatever it was on the bbc micro lol ??? "

It was BASIC on the BBC, but that still isn't BASIC.

Line 4 " goto line 1 "

if (that == "DOS")

{

me.eat_my_hat();

}

I know matey lol is it line code or whatever it was on the bbc micro lol ???

It was BASIC on the BBC, but that still isn't BASIC. "

Lol ah well that will teach me for trying to be clever lol

By *ollie_JCouple  over a year ago

London

Is having a US DNS (tp allow me to view US and not UK Netflix) on my Apple TV be the cause of airparrot not mirroring my iMacs screen. Console returns a blocked message insulting I have a firewall on. (I don't).

I can't also AirPlay iplayer from the iPad to the Apple TV as well.

"Is having a US DNS (tp allow me to view US and not UK Netflix) on my Apple TV be the cause of airparrot not mirroring my iMacs screen. Console returns a blocked message insulting I have a firewall on. (I don't).

I can't also AirPlay iplayer from the iPad to the Apple TV as well."

Hmmm sorry guys but Apple/Mac not my speciality im afraid, however would like to know why you have a US domain name server ?? Who is your Internet provider ??

London

I manually changed the DNS only for a US one. This allows you to view non UK content.

The ISP is still UK and the router will still have the provided DNS.

The DNS is provided by blockless

"I manually changed the DNS only for a US one. This allows you to view non UK content.

The ISP is still UK and the router will still have the provided DNS.

The DNS is provided by blockless"

Non UK Content ?? Can you be more specific ?

London

Already mentioned in the original post. Netflix US has more content than Netflix UK

By *atasha_DavidCouple  over a year ago

Slough

Blockless is not only a DNS but a proxy service. Thats how they are changing your apparent location.

How have you implemented their service, software on each machine or changes within your router?

"Already mentioned in the original post. Netflix US has more content than Netflix UK"

Lol sorry my apologies not had enough coffee yet so a bit slow As i said Apple Tv etc not my specialty.

Will drop a message to a pal on here who is a MAC guru

London

No it's only the apple TV I have changed, I have no wish to change the other machines. Iplayer doesn't seem to want to AirPlay, but BT Sport is fine.

I am king to get a few more apple TVs, i am thinking I need two to attach to the TV. One with the blockless DSN the other normal. In that way I get the best of both worlds, but to be quite honest I could just change the Apple TV back to its normal DNS.

Just ordered whether that was the airparrot problem. (it's a iMac which doesn't support mirroring in the OSX)

Slough

Sorry don't speak Mac but I think the app that is doing the blockless reroute is probably routeing all dns lookups even your internal network ones to their servers bypassing your routers DNS which would know to keep internal traffic internal.

My suggestion is look at the blockless setup

London

Thanks, the DNS change is just internal to the Apple TV and not the rest of the network. Othwrwise the wireless clients of the same wouldn't be able to stream iPlayer.

I think I have answered my own question by the previous posts. the iMac has the router DNS the Apple TV has had it changed, no wonder I can't mirror via airparrot (doesn't answer the question why the iPhone on ios7 can) Thanks to all, sorry for the hijack,

"Jamie my question - my OH is a geek and IT guru, can you tell me in C++ how to write a code for disabling his machines? "

No need for C++ simply change his passwords then change the keyboard layout to Icelandic so none of the keys match up

Websites and databases are my field, pm me the link and I will take a quick look, though not promising today.

No need for C++ simply change his passwords then change the keyboard layout to Icelandic so none of the keys match up "

It'll never happen!

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

No links other than the allowed ones please

Slough

"(doesn't answer the question why the iPhone on ios7 can)"

Have you tried turning it off and on again

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

If my computer gets a virus from looking at porn do I need to take it to the GUM clinic

» Add a new message to this topic