FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Fab Fitness

Fab Fitness

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Would anyone be interested in starting a group/thread for those on here who like to exercise (sex not included in this one )

Or for those wanting advice from others.

And even meets for training??

Thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *exxifun5Couple  over a year ago

NORWICH

I would be interested in this I lost 9 stone in 2005 .... but am angry that over the last three years since my divorce have let three stone creep back on mainly due to not exercising enough. I need some one to kick my backside and stay on my case to make me get back to it .... previously I was circuit training twice a week and swimming once a week HELP ME !!! XX tabitha xx

By *aughty PedroMan  over a year ago

London

"Would anyone be interested in starting a group/thread for those on here who like to exercise (sex not included in this one )

Or for those wanting advice from others.

And even meets for training??

Thoughts?"

who could all motivate each other.

I am a former Marathon runner but not run for ages so it be a good motivator

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I am in the fitness industry and glad to help out if needed!

"I would be interested in this I lost 9 stone in 2005 .... but am angry that over the last three years since my divorce have let three stone creep back on mainly due to not exercising enough. I need some one to kick my backside and stay on my case to make me get back to it .... previously I was circuit training twice a week and swimming once a week HELP ME !!! XX tabitha xx "

I'm sure we can get you going again and help you achieve your goals. To start slowly get back into what you used to do, maybe start swimming once a week to start. I'm sure amongst us we could write a circuit to complete, and do it without the equipment you get in a gym.

I find it helpful to make little changes, i.e. reduce sugar in tea/coffee, on cereal etc,

me, I would love advice on so many thing but if i've realised one thing that's this site isn't the best place to ask

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

"me, I would love advice on so many thing but if i've realised one thing that's this site isn't the best place to ask "

Funny you should say that coz the amount of messages/threads I've seen on fitness with posts from supposed qualified trainers etc and they all have differing opinions!! lol x

"me, I would love advice on so many thing but if i've realised one thing that's this site isn't the best place to ask

Funny you should say that coz the amount of messages/threads I've seen on fitness with posts from supposed qualified trainers etc and they all have differing opinions!! lol x"

plus I really cant be arsed with another fat bashing thread which we all know it will turn into

By *MOOTH AND ROUGHCouple  over a year ago

tamworth

Mr is currently going the gym and has lost almost 3 stone but still not all happy has he still has a wobble belly x

"me, I would love advice on so many thing but if i've realised one thing that's this site isn't the best place to ask

Funny you should say that coz the amount of messages/threads I've seen on fitness with posts from supposed qualified trainers etc and they all have differing opinions!! lol x"

I notice that. I've given a little information in the past but I'm not a fitness trainer, though sometimes I wonder whether I should have been as I love to exercise. I can't dictate what others do, only what I know and what works for me. It is down to each individual what they choose to do and not to do

To the poster who said that they had put weight back on since stopping exercise. That will highly likely be because you didn't reduce your food intake once you stopped the exercise. It is about finding the balance. You don't actually have to exercise to lose weight, you just have to consume less than you burn. Exercise just helps tone us up, keep us firm and hopefully maintain a level of fitness to help keep us healthy

Kent

Funny you should say that coz the amount of messages/threads I've seen on fitness with posts from supposed qualified trainers etc and they all have differing opinions!! lol x

plus I really cant be arsed with another fat bashing thread which we all know it will turn into "

True!! Lol.

Besides a friend of mine works at my gym and she helps me out while I'm there. Although it's embarrassing running next to her on the treadmill she's like a machine! Lol x

"Mr is currently going the gym and has lost almost 3 stone but still not all happy has he still has a wobble belly x"

He may need to change his gym routine different exercises etc to challenge the body again.

Wobbly belly will be fat. Fat can be burnt off by doing cardio work but you also have to start really taking a close look at your food intake.

You could do all the ab resistance and core work in the world and the fat will still remain.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"me, I would love advice on so many thing but if i've realised one thing that's this site isn't the best place to ask "

You don't live too far from me, so more than welcome to come jogging over cannock chase with me.

I did say Jogging there and not dogging, lol.

"Wobbly belly will be fat. Fat can be burnt off by doing cardio work but you also have to start really taking a close look at your food intake.

You could do all the ab resistance and core work in the world and the fat will still remain. "

Would high intensity short duration work best? Circuit sort of stuff?

Kent

"Wobbly belly will be fat. Fat can be burnt off by doing cardio work but you also have to start really taking a close look at your food intake.

You could do all the ab resistance and core work in the world and the fat will still remain.

Would high intensity short duration work best? Circuit sort of stuff?"

This is what I'm doing pretty much. Reasonably short bursts of cardio to get the heart rate up and fat burning underway then weights in between. I'm also trying to get back up to bring able to run 10k again (without feeling like I need medical care lol) so I'm doing treadmill at the beginning and end of the workout x

This is what I'm doing pretty much. Reasonably short bursts of cardio to get the heart rate up and fat burning underway then weights in between. I'm also trying to get back up to bring able to run 10k again (without feeling like I need medical care lol) so I'm doing treadmill at the beginning and end of the workout x"

So you don't want to carry an oxygen tank around when you running 10k then. Are you looking to run a 10k race/charity run? Or just as a general target.

That is a very good question. If you go off looking this up you'll come up with a mixture of answers ranging from HIIT to longer steadier training periods keeping the heart rate at a certain level.

As said I'm not a trainer so don't have a definitive answer. If I think my podge levels are increasing I decrease my carb intake slightly. Any unused carbs will turn to fat.

In my opinion any exercise is better than no exercise but it is all about finding the balance between your exercise and what you eat and how much of it.

I don't remember Troy McClure having an ass like that

I moan about my tummy then do nothing about it! So I've decided I am who I am and now intend to be happy about it.

"That is a very good question. If you go off looking this up you'll come up with a mixture of answers ranging from HIIT to longer steadier training periods keeping the heart rate at a certain level.

As said I'm not a trainer so don't have a definitive answer. If I think my podge levels are increasing I decrease my carb intake slightly. Any unused carbs will turn to fat.

In my opinion any exercise is better than no exercise but it is all about finding the balance between your exercise and what you eat and how much of it."

I've found HITT to be effective, but I keept changing the exercises to maintain what I had gained.......I should probably put the doughnut down then.

Kent

This is what I'm doing pretty much. Reasonably short bursts of cardio to get the heart rate up and fat burning underway then weights in between. I'm also trying to get back up to bring able to run 10k again (without feeling like I need medical care lol) so I'm doing treadmill at the beginning and end of the workout x

So you don't want to carry an oxygen tank around when you running 10k then. Are you looking to run a 10k race/charity run? Or just as a general target."

If I manage to get to a reasonable time if consider a charity race but I'm useless at road running compared to a treadmill so maybe I'd do a 5k first! The race for life next year would be a good start x

[Removed by poster at 29/09/13 14:49:21]

"I don't remember Troy McClure having an ass like that

I moan about my tummy then do nothing about it! So I've decided I am who I am and now intend to be happy about it. "

I don't remember him pulling his pants down!

"If I manage to get to a reasonable time if consider a charity race but I'm useless at road running compared to a treadmill so maybe I'd do a 5k first! The race for life next year would be a good start x"

That sounds like a sensible plan to me. I was training for a marathon once, got to around 12 miles and gave myself a stress fracture in my foot.

By *uthTVDerbysTV/TS  over a year ago

Derby

Gyms will never help you lose weight. Only put it on. You eat more after a visit. Gyms are great for toning and complementing sensible eating. Not creating. Gyms do make you feel good in yourself so long as you go regularly and set realistic steady targets. Both calorie reduction combined with gym attendance will do the job. Not as separate things. Gym only weight loss is a myth. But at the same time training makes what you're left with during a sensible weight loss regime look even better and reduces the wobble!

Kent

"Gyms will never help you lose weight. Only put it on. You eat more after a visit. Gyms are great for toning and complementing sensible eating. Not creating. Gyms do make you feel good in yourself so long as you go regularly and set realistic steady targets. Both calorie reduction combined with gym attendance will do the job. Not as separate things. Gym only weight loss is a myth. But at the same time training makes what you're left with during a sensible weight loss regime look even better and reduces the wobble! "

I am very careful to spread my meals out when I am going to the gym, I tend to eat little and often those days rather than 3 meals as I'm hungry when I come out so make sure I've got something ready for when I get home.

I'm 23lb down so far with healthy eating and exercise so not doing too bad!

threads asking for exercise advice pop up quite frequently. i always try n give my tuppence when they do

By *ohn_1983Man  over a year ago

Poringland

I'm in

I've lost 2.5st over six months in preparing to do a half marathon.

I'm looking to lose another 2st.

"I am very careful to spread my meals out when I am going to the gym, I tend to eat little and often those days rather than 3 meals as I'm hungry when I come out so make sure I've got something ready for when I get home.

I'm 23lb down so far with healthy eating and exercise so not doing too bad! "

Great effort sounds like you have a good routine set up. Keep up the good work

" I was training for a marathon once, got to around 12 miles and gave myself a stress fracture in my foot."

Yet you feel qualified to dish out training advice?

"Gyms will never help you lose weight. Only put it on. You eat more after a visit. Gyms are great for toning and complementing sensible eating. Not creating. Gyms do make you feel good in yourself so long as you go regularly and set realistic steady targets. Both calorie reduction combined with gym attendance will do the job. Not as separate things. Gym only weight loss is a myth. But at the same time training makes what you're left with during a sensible weight loss regime look even better and reduces the wobble! "

What utter rubbish.

" I was training for a marathon once, got to around 12 miles and gave myself a stress fracture in my foot.

Yet you feel qualified to dish out training advice?"

Yeah my advice is don't do too much too soon. I upped the mileage to fast. Experience is where 90% of all knowledge comes from.

"I'm in

I've lost 2.5st over six months in preparing to do a half marathon.

I'm looking to lose another 2st. "

Well done, was that purely through running? Doing another half marathon...or maybe a full?

By *MOOTH AND ROUGHCouple  over a year ago

tamworth

"Mr is currently going the gym and has lost almost 3 stone but still not all happy has he still has a wobble belly x

He may need to change his gym routine different exercises etc to challenge the body again."

He's been told to use weights to tone his muscle aswell has using cardio equipment but he is worried he will gain weight because muscle weighs heavier x

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Can I ask a couple of questions please?

1) I'm 6f 2i tall and weigh about 12.5 stone and am veggie so don't have too much protein but probably eat too many carbs. I have a bit of a tummy I can't seem to lose. I can do 20 sit ups at a time but wobble belly is still there. What can I do to get a 6pack abs?

2) when I go on a static bike, on a medium setting about 17kph speed, on the flat after about 2 mins my heart rate is about 150 bpm. Is this normal?

"Mr is currently going the gym and has lost almost 3 stone but still not all happy has he still has a wobble belly x

He may need to change his gym routine different exercises etc to challenge the body again.

He's been told to use weights to tone his muscle aswell has using cardio equipment but he is worried he will gain weight because muscle weighs heavier x "

Whilst it is true that muscle weighs more than fat your hubby shouldn't worry about building muscle. If he isn't going crazy and lifting heavy weights he wont bulk. Keep the weights light and he'll just tone. Don't let that fact hold him back or cause any concern.

If you build muscle and don't lose fat he will of course gain weight. That is when he needs to start looking closer at what he is eating.

"Can I ask a couple of questions please?

1) I'm 6f 2i tall and weigh about 12.5 stone and am veggie so don't have too much protein but probably eat too many carbs. I have a bit of a tummy I can't seem to lose. I can do 20 sit ups at a time but wobble belly is still there. What can I do to get a 6pack abs?

2) when I go on a static bike, on a medium setting about 17kph speed, on the flat after about 2 mins my heart rate is about 150 bpm. Is this normal? "

I think you've answered your own question there. High carbs, low protein. If you don't burn the carbs it turns to fat. up the protein intake and ditch some carbs and see how you get on. As I said further up you can do abs resistance work and core work all day long but that wont get shot of the fat.

I don't know your age but 150bpm isn't that high. I'd say I hover around 140 to 150 on endurance workouts. The fitter you get the faster you'll be able to go and still not go over that 150

noone consistently lifts light for long. we all get the bug and go heavier

you should start light and concentrate on form n technique to begin with so you build up the mind/muscle connection to properly target the target muscle group

but always look to progress/progressively overload. whether its another 50m on the treadmill or another couple KG on the benchpress

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I'm in if I get a hot personal trainer. Otherwise meh!!

Yes , we would be interested.

Our jobs are physical , posties , and we do Jiu Jitsu and swim at least twice a week .

You sort of get addicted to it and feel sort of wrong if you miss a session .

and this lightweight toning myth is bollocks how toned you look depends on ur BF %

if you want a lower BF it comes from diet and exercise. heavier lifting burns more calories than light resistance training

Brighton - even Hove!

Thanks for that info....anyone got any dietary advice? Don't bother: I'll google it.

By *exxifun5Couple  over a year ago

NORWICH

"I would be interested in this I lost 9 stone in 2005 .... but am angry that over the last three years since my divorce have let three stone creep back on mainly due to not exercising enough. I need some one to kick my backside and stay on my case to make me get back to it .... previously I was circuit training twice a week and swimming once a week HELP ME !!! XX tabitha xx

I'm sure we can get you going again and help you achieve your goals. To start slowly get back into what you used to do, maybe start swimming once a week to start. I'm sure amongst us we could write a circuit to complete, and do it without the equipment you get in a gym.

I find it helpful to make little changes, i.e. reduce sugar in tea/coffee, on cereal etc, "

Yes I have started slowly and building up badminton is my love at the moment ... im only playing once a week due to court costs ... and have adjusted my eating again ... would love your help of a exercise routine I could do at home. And I don't have sugar added to anything , that's one of the good habits I have kept since last time . I live in the country and so wish I could take up running . But have tried it so many times and all different trainers but always feel like my feet are broken after lol xx

"

2) when I go on a static bike, on a medium setting about 17kph speed, on the flat after about 2 mins my heart rate is about 150 bpm. Is this normal? "

Doesn't strike me as particularly high for someone of your age. Does it stay at that level or continue rising? Or can you maintain that level for a length of time? If it's the latter then that;s fine, the former you are starting off too hard.

How does it compare with your HR on other cardio machines?

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I read a lot of weight-training blogs and the current thought is that steady state cardio is better than nothing, but on its own is a bit crap. HIIT is better, but short burst high intensity is the best. That is, spiderman planks, burpees, skipping, that sort of thing. I have noticed that, although my weight has not reduced (dammit) my figure is definitely sleeker now I am incorporating weight training and pilates.

Everyones body and how it reacts to exercise is different. I tried the 5:2 diet and didn't lose a pound. I went back to HIIT cardio and a balanced diet and lost nearly a stone. Now I don't care about weight-loss but need motivation to keep the weight training up, as my local gym is not well equipped.

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

I managed to do a 16 mile run today. Was hoping to get in the london marathon next year but found out this week i didn't get in, so im thinking about the great north run instead. Does anyone know if the Great North run is a ballot like the London Marathon?

"Now I don't care about weight-loss but need motivation to keep the weight training up, as my local gym is not well equipped."

Motivation wise maybe set yourself a target of some description, marathon, tough mudder - or similar, maybe complete fitness tests so you have something to aim for...if that makes sense

"I read a lot of weight-training blogs and the current thought is that steady state cardio is better than nothing, but on its own is a bit crap. HIIT is better, but short burst high intensity is the best. That is, spiderman planks, burpees, skipping, that sort of thing. I have noticed that, although my weight has not reduced (dammit) my figure is definitely sleeker now I am incorporating weight training and pilates.

"

I do a lot of cardio but as my only sports are running and cycling it comes with the territory. The only time I find it really burns calories is to do it fasted. You will burn calories doing steady state but there are way more efficient ways to spend time training.

"I managed to do a 16 mile run today. Was hoping to get in the london marathon next year but found out this week i didn't get in, so im thinking about the great north run instead. Does anyone know if the Great North run is a ballot like the London Marathon?"

No, but I've heard you need to apply now.

"Now I don't care about weight-loss but need motivation to keep the weight training up, as my local gym is not well equipped.

Motivation wise maybe set yourself a target of some description, marathon, tough mudder - or similar, maybe complete fitness tests so you have something to aim for...if that makes sense"

I can't run unfortunately. Trick knee and plantar fasciitis. I do my cardio on the elliptical or in the pool.

I started crossfit training a month ago and im already down a dress size

"I managed to do a 16 mile run today. Was hoping to get in the london marathon next year but found out this week i didn't get in"

I feel that pain. Why not find another marathon? I'm trying to find an alternative spring one, probably Manchester.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

think you just complete application in the Evening Chronicle newspaper and keep your fingers crossed ...some places are guaranteed to previous runners who have completed numerous runs already though and as more people apply to run it than they have places its abit 'luck of the draw' but it is a fantastic race to compete in ..good luck !

Try 'Race for Life'. I hear about those all over the place

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

"I managed to do a 16 mile run today. Was hoping to get in the london marathon next year but found out this week i didn't get in

I feel that pain. Why not find another marathon? I'm trying to find an alternative spring one, probably Manchester.

"

I had thought of doing the Brighton marathon, but the entries are closed now, and with the amount of training you need to do for a marathon, i really only wanted to do London. But im thinking of doing the great south run in a few weeks as ive done enough training to do the 10 miles, as im training for a local 10k in 2 weeks.

"I managed to do a 16 mile run today. Was hoping to get in the london marathon next year but found out this week i didn't get in

I had thought of doing the Brighton marathon, but the entries are closed now, and with the amount of training you need to do for a marathon, i really only wanted to do London. But im thinking of doing the great south run in a few weeks as ive done enough training to do the 10 miles, as im training for a local 10k in 2 weeks."

Yes, with hindsight I would have just entered Brighton.

The lottery to get in to London means it is so unlikely my plan now is to find a flat/fast one and see if I can get in for 2015 with a good for age time. I realise that running sub 3hr 15 will be a huge ask but looking at the race calculators my PB's for other distances make it possibly attainable.

Brighton - even Hove!

"

2) when I go on a static bike, on a medium setting about 17kph speed, on the flat after about 2 mins my heart rate is about 150 bpm. Is this normal?

Doesn't strike me as particularly high for someone of your age. Does it stay at that level or continue rising? Or can you maintain that level for a length of

time? If it's the latter then that;s fine, mthe former you are starting off too

hard.

Stays about that on everything cross trainer and rowing machine. A heart beat more than twice a second is ok?

How does it compare with your HR on other cardio machines? "

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

I'm happy to take people for bike rides - road or MTB.

"

Whilst it is true that muscle weighs more than fat

"

That actually isn't true: 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle. What you mean is 1lb of fat occupies a bigger volume than 1lb of muscle.

"

Whilst it is true that muscle weighs more than fat

That actually isn't true: 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle. What you mean is 1lb of fat occupies a bigger volume than 1lb of muscle. "

That's the one. A good comparison would be to be to compare 450g (about a lb) of butter to a 450g steak - the steak will be smaller and denser.

[Removed by poster at 29/09/13 23:06:15]

"I have a large amount of weight to lose to get to my goal of a BMI of under 25, am currently at 43 I have joined the gym combined with change for life. So far lost 1.5 stones in just over 4 weeks. Am doing a gym routine twice a week including weights, swimming once a week and Aqua Zumba once a week.

My short term aim is to increase my fitness to be able to do some land classes like Zumba, shabam and my ultimate aim is to do RPM. If i did any land classes at the mo I'd a) die b) feel a failure cos I wouldn't be able to keep up and c) would feel deflated, so I'm building upto it...

Any tips/motivational talk would be welcomed. I'd almost say I enjoy exercise now and memories of horrific PE lessons are a distant memory!

"

By *nfieldishCouple  over a year ago

Enfield

"I managed to do a 16 mile run today. Was hoping to get in the london marathon next year but found out this week i didn't get in, so im thinking about the great north run instead. Does anyone know if the Great North run is a ballot like the London Marathon?"

Ballot... Tho charity places are easy to get.. I run for prostate and have to pledge about 400 squid..

It's a great run....

I'd love some tips on getting definition on my arms and toning my stomach.

Or even train with someone local

"I'd love some tips on getting definition on my arms and toning my stomach."

Pretty much any kind of heavy upper body compound lift like Bench Press, Overhead Press, Pull Ups and Rows will build up arm muscles, and can then be followed with Barbell Curls and Triceps Dips for more direct arm work.

As for increasing stomach definition, Crunches, especially with added weight are best for thickening and strengthening abs, but if you want them visibly on display then you need to be down around 10% bodyfat or lower, for most guys this means around a 31' waist.

Cable crunches and hanging leg raises are great for abs, also the woodchopper to hit the obliques.

» Add a new message to this topic