FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Making the unemployed work for benefits

Making the unemployed work for benefits

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *obbobean OP   Man  over a year ago

dagenham

What's you guys thoughts on this statement by Cameron this morning ?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

can see it doing no harm, charities always need a extra hand, I don't think they should be made to work for people who will make a profit out of them, but working for a charity and to help others is a good idea, for some maybe the thought of getting up everyday and having to work will make them more inclined to find a job and work for better money than benefits

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

How will it affect their job seeking and availability for work? They have already lost on saying that someone refusing to work in Poundland should be sanctioned.

If there are jobs to be done then I don't have a problem with paying people to do them but NOT creating a new economy of people paid below the minimum wage. It would mean they would be public sector jobs, which goes against Tory policy and ideology.

Osborne is doing popularist statements that tap into their central message of deserving and undeserving poor. Them and us.

I have thought this should have been the case for years. As has been said it should not be for profit but for charity or community. Again those who are used to work then this won't be a problem it will only really affect the type of person who doesn't want to work for whatever reason.

It may even help build community spirit

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Brilliant plan!

Having forced councils to sack most street cleaners we now force unemployed to do it for nothing. Then we can sack the few street cleaners left and replace them with more unemployed.

Cant wait to see the new workhouses opening...

Just need to find me flat cap so I can tip the brim and tug me forelock to me lords n masters.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"What's you guys thoughts on this statement by Cameron this morning ?"

At the risk of pedantry, it's Osborne who has/ will announce this. It ought to be IDS but he's about to be reshuffled into

obscurity (or Easterhouse).

dagenham

Exactly, how can someone be looking for employment while he/she is picking litter or cleaning graffiti etc. as for the charity shops I agree with that in a sense, but I thought that was for volunteers nor being made to do it. What's going to happen to the council guys/gals who sweep the roads just now picking up litter. And where I live the council have dedicated graffiti removal teams, what's going to happen to them. It looks like to me, that it's going to put more people on the dole not get them off it

"Brilliant plan!

Having forced councils to sack most street cleaners we now force unemployed to do it for nothing. Then we can sack the few street cleaners left and replace them with more unemployed.

Just need to find me flat cap so I can tip the brim and tug me forelock to me lords n masters. "

shall we take that as a no then

I think some peole are really missing the point here I don't think the op was condoning councils sacking people and replacing them with unemployed people! Although I can see the work shy jumping up and down and using this as an argument against it happening. However whats wrong with getting the long term unemployed to work in library's that have had to close down, sports facilities and other public amenities that have been shut due to cuts.

Would it not also get some of them valuable up to date work experience and potential references?

By *eareenaCouple  over a year ago

Rockford

"Exactly, how can someone be looking for employment while he/she is picking litter or cleaning graffiti etc. as for the charity shops I agree with that in a sense, but I thought that was for volunteers nor being made to do it. What's going to happen to the council guys/gals who sweep the roads just now picking up litter. And where I live the council have dedicated graffiti removal teams, what's going to happen to them. It looks like to me, that it's going to put more people on the dole not get them off it"

I am in a terrible zero hours contract job Single mum and I can find time to look for jobs... there just aren't any around here.

dagenham

"What's you guys thoughts on this statement by Cameron this morning ?

At the risk of pedantry, it's Osborne who has/ will announce this. It ought to be IDS but he's about to be reshuffled into

obscurity (or Easterhouse)."

Sorry Onny, never been up with politics, thanks for pointing it out though.

They get paid.they should do something for the comunity that pay them..ie us

dagenham

"Exactly, how can someone be looking for employment while he/she is picking litter or cleaning graffiti etc. as for the charity shops I agree with that in a sense, but I thought that was for volunteers nor being made to do it. What's going to happen to the council guys/gals who sweep the roads just now picking up litter. And where I live the council have dedicated graffiti removal teams, what's going to happen to them. It looks like to me, that it's going to put more people on the dole not get them off it

I am in a terrible zero hours contract job Single mum and I can find time to look for jobs... there just aren't any around here."

And if you wer lucky to find a job, you'd be extremely lucky if it paid more that £6.19 ph

Excellent idea, I also think they should bring in drug tests for those claiming long term benefits too...

By *ustyBrunette35Couple  over a year ago

birmingham

"

Having forced councils to sack most street cleaners we now force unemployed to do it for nothing. "

They won't be doing it for nothing.

They'll be doing it for money given too them in the form of benefits

they always have this idea every couple of years, a mass drive to get the unemployed back to work,

but at the end of the day you will find that the ones who dont want to work will always find a way out of it, there are gen people who are actually looking for work, and there are others who are happy to never work in they lifes,

I see it round by me, lads never working, happy to claim, spend the day in the pub, have sky, smoke,

"Exactly, how can someone be looking for employment while he/she is picking litter or cleaning graffiti etc. as for the charity shops I agree with that in a sense, but I thought that was for volunteers nor being made to do it. What's going to happen to the council guys/gals who sweep the roads just now picking up litter. And where I live the council have dedicated graffiti removal teams, what's going to happen to them. It looks like to me, that it's going to put more people on the dole not get them off it"

I see it as no different to doing community service, no one has ever been sacked to make way for a free worker on community service so why would they sake people for unemployed, as for when would they find work, they wont be working 24 hours a day

"can see it doing no harm, charities always need a extra hand, I don't think they should be made to work for people who will make a profit out of them, but working for a charity and to help others is a good idea, for some maybe the thought of getting up everyday and having to work will make them more inclined to find a job and work for better money than benefits "

Now retired, during my working life was made redundant a few times but always found it much easier to find the kind of work I wanted from an employed position rather than unemployed. Often taking a job I did not really want or like just in order to remain in the workforce and then moving on to a more appealing occupation.

Glasgow

"Excellent idea, I also think they should bring in drug tests for those claiming long term benefits too..."

........ and for politicians?

This idea was dreamt up while someone was smoking something other than baccy.

"Exactly, how can someone be looking for employment while he/she is picking litter or cleaning graffiti etc. as for the charity shops I agree with that in a sense, but I thought that was for volunteers nor being made to do it. What's going to happen to the council guys/gals who sweep the roads just now picking up litter. And where I live the council have dedicated graffiti removal teams, what's going to happen to them. It looks like to me, that it's going to put more people on the dole not get them off it

I am in a terrible zero hours contract job Single mum and I can find time to look for jobs... there just aren't any around here.

And if you wer lucky to find a job, you'd be extremely lucky if it paid more that £6.19 ph"

but if you do work for £6.19 a hour you can claim tax credits to bump your money up, no one has to live on £6.19 a hour

"can see it doing no harm, charities always need a extra hand, I don't think they should be made to work for people who will make a profit out of them, but working for a charity and to help others is a good idea, for some maybe the thought of getting up everyday and having to work will make them more inclined to find a job and work for better money than benefits

Now retired, during my working life was made redundant a few times but always found it much easier to find the kind of work I wanted from an employed position rather than unemployed. Often taking a job I did not really want or like just in order to remain in the workforce and then moving on to a more appealing occupation. "

most of us have done jobs we don't want, I know I have

"Excellent idea, I also think they should bring in drug tests for those claiming long term benefits too...

This idea was dreamt up while someone was smoking something other than baccy."

I'd target all the politicians first!

Surely it grinds your gears that even a small percentage of people are spending our hard earned taxes on illegal drugs rather than earning the money for them themselves...

Speaking as an employer and also someone who has had to claim benefits.

Any work experience is good and beneficial, young adults are being churned out of the education system, and they have never seen a member of their family have a job.

They have had housing, food, schooling paid for by the government.

Many expect to stay on benefits all their life, have children, to help get a house or bigger house, all free, so many have no incentive to work and don't know the benefits of working,

ie, confidence, friendships, responsibility, time management, even how to cook a meal from scratch,

all things that work helps provide,

When you have a job it is always easier to find another job.

If I have a choice I would usually employ someone who has had work experience, over someone who hasn't.

By *andm288Couple  over a year ago

oxford

I bet the work shy will soon find a job instead of watching Jeremy Kyle all day instead of helping out in the local community !

Waiting on the naughty step for the backlash !

dagenham

"Excellent idea, I also think they should bring in drug tests for those claiming long term benefits too..."

Now that I agree with

I think if they are going to be made to work then they should recieve the minimum wage for the work that they do. Won't take long for someone to take this to the courts and for it to be found to be against the law.

dagenham

"

Having forced councils to sack most street cleaners we now force unemployed to do it for nothing.

They'll be doing it for money given too them in the form of benefits "

But the guys/gals who were doing it while working for the councils were being payed vastly more amounts in wages

Where are these jobs coming from? And if they are genuine positions why are they not being advertised and filled with people earning a wage from them? Even charity/voluntary work goes against the governments own regulations about being available.

Typical ill thought out tory rhetoric designed to keep the public blaming those at the bottom of the pile for the recession.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I am sure most will be willing to give something back during these tough times that they find themselves in.

good luck to all searching for a role.

"I think if they are going to be made to work then they should recieve the minimum wage for the work that they do. Won't take long for someone to take this to the courts and for it to be found to be against the law. "

"I think if they are going to be made to work then they should recieve the minimum wage for the work that they do. Won't take long for someone to take this to the courts and for it to be found to be against the law. "

When they've already been paid for not working?

It's an incentive to stop the small minority of work-shy wasters taking advantage of us all...

dagenham

"can see it doing no harm, charities always need a extra hand, I don't think they should be made to work for people who will make a profit out of them, but working for a charity and to help others is a good idea, for some maybe the thought of getting up everyday and having to work will make them more inclined to find a job and work for better money than benefits

Now retired, during my working life was made redundant a few times but always found it much easier to find the kind of work I wanted from an employed position rather than unemployed. Often taking a job I did not really want or like just in order to remain in the workforce and then moving on to a more appealing occupation. "

Not to,see magistrate David, but back in the day there were lots more work out there than than there is now, and for more money per hour taking in the cost of living at the time

moston

"I think some peole are really missing the point here I don't think the op was condoning councils sacking people and replacing them with unemployed people! Although I can see the work shy jumping up and down and using this as an argument against it happening. However whats wrong with getting the long term unemployed to work in library's that have had to close down, sports facilities and other public amenities that have been shut due to cuts.

Would it not also get some of them valuable up to date work experience and potential references?"

OK...

Lets try again...

The Torys have spent the last 3 years ripping the heart out of local government employment in the name of necessity. Now they propose to replace the street cleaners with unpaid unemployed. You think that the unemployed should also be used to run libraries and sports centres that have also been forced to close down because of the cuts.

Fantastic idea, lets also cut your job and then force someone to do that for FALL!

Just to drive home the point, Osbourne is not proposing paying unemployed the minimum wage for the work they do. He is proposing introduction of SLAVE LABOR!

"

Having forced councils to sack most street cleaners we now force unemployed to do it for nothing.

So that makes it a salary. Below minimum wage. Sitting outside of current employment law.

dagenham

And if you wer lucky to find a job, you'd be extremely lucky if it paid more that £6.19 ph

but if you do work for £6.19 a hour you can claim tax credits to bump your money up, no one has to live on £6.19 a hour"

If no one has to live on £6.19 ph, why offer it in the 1st place. Just offer a livable minimum wage in the 1st place

"Excellent idea, I also think they should bring in drug tests for those claiming long term benefits too...

Surely it grinds your gears that even a small percentage of people are spending our hard earned taxes on illegal drugs rather than earning the money for them themselves..."

A friend of mine is in business, he tendered for and won a contract to supply services to a public body. He has encountered a huge problem as all his designated staff have to undergo drugs testing, he is finding it very difficult to recruit workers as most of the applicants back out when told they will have to have a drugs test.

by the time you add the price of all the benefits they get on top of their JSA, ie rent, council tax, free prescriptions/dental/eye tests, free school meals, school uniform vouchers if they have kids, you can use the PDSA if you have pets etc they will probably be on a similar amount of money as someone working for NMW

Surely it grinds your gears that even a small percentage of people are spending our hard earned taxes on illegal drugs rather than earning the money for them themselves...

A friend of mine is in business, he tendered for and won a contract to supply services to a public body. He has encountered a huge problem as all his designated staff have to undergo drugs testing, he is finding it very difficult to recruit workers as most of the applicants back out when told they will have to have a drugs test."

If drugs screening was more widespread this sort of thing wouldn't be such an issue...

"Speaking as an employer and also someone who has had to claim benefits.

Any work experience is good and beneficial, young adults are being churned out of the education system, and they have never seen a member of their family have a job.

They have had housing, food, schooling paid for by the government.

Many expect to stay on benefits all their life, have children, to help get a house or bigger house, all free, so many have no incentive to work and don't know the benefits of working,

ie, confidence, friendships, responsibility, time management, even how to cook a meal from scratch,

all things that work helps provide,

When you have a job it is always easier to find another job.

If I have a choice I would usually employ someone who has had work experience, over someone who hasn't."

I don't have a problem with managed work experience placements but that doesn't come for free.

We have schemes in Ireland where people are forced onto schemes for a little extra on top of their benefits and then they have been forced into jobs that they are clearly unsuited for.

I have worked in youth projects where these people didn't want to be there, clearly hated working with young people (not every does) and the young people hated them being there as well. A situation that benefits no one and can also so counterproductive to the welfare of the young people in the project.

Just a cautionary tale

but if you do work for £6.19 a hour you can claim tax credits to bump your money up, no one has to live on £6.19 a hour

If no one has to live on £6.19 ph, why offer it in the 1st place. Just offer a livable minimum wage in the 1st place"

I don't know, I didn't make the rules im just quoting them

"I think if they are going to be made to work then they should recieve the minimum wage for the work that they do. Won't take long for someone to take this to the courts and for it to be found to be against the law.

by the time you add the price of all the benefits they get on top of their JSA, ie rent, council tax, free prescriptions/dental/eye tests, free school meals, school uniform vouchers if they have kids, you can use the PDSA if you have pets etc they will probably be on a similar amount of money as someone working for NMW"

This....

"We have schemes in Ireland where people are forced onto schemes for a little extra on top of their benefits and then they have been forced into jobs that they are clearly unsuited for.

I have worked in youth projects where these people didn't want to be there, clearly hated working with young people (not every does) and the young people hated them being there as well. A situation that benefits no one and can also so counterproductive to the welfare of the young people in the project.

Just a cautionary tale

"

there's one over here its called EOS, if they find you a job you have to take it whether its suitable for you or not, if you turn it down they stop your benefits

I'm currently not working due to b problem with my disabled daughter.. but I still do work here and there volunteering with various victim support agencies..

I can't work guaranteed hours currently... So just pop in... It however makes me feel I'm giving something back.. and gets me out the house

"I think if they are going to be made to work then they should recieve the minimum wage for the work that they do. Won't take long for someone to take this to the courts and for it to be found to be against the law.

by the time you add the price of all the benefits they get on top of their JSA, ie rent, council tax, free prescriptions/dental/eye tests, free school meals, school uniform vouchers if they have kids, you can use the PDSA if you have pets etc they will probably be on a similar amount of money as someone working for NMW"

Not always. The cases that catch the headlines are the exceptional ones. More is given in benefits to those on low wages as in work benefits. Yet if you're on JSA you could be getting as little as £42 a week for everything.

It's an incentive to stop the small minority of work-shy wasters taking advantage of us all..."

Yes they are paid for looking for work. If they are made to work say 20 hours a week and still only recieving there £40ish pound a week then they are only on about £2 an hour. How is that fair when other people are recieving minimum wage for similar work.

Not all people who will be put on this are going to be work shy. You get put on the work program after not being able to find a job after a year. Then if you still aren't successful you are going to be forced to work for third world wages

I am in a terrible zero hours contract job Single mum and I can find time to look for jobs... there just aren't any around here."

I was in the same boat as you sugar but I have finally found a full time job toom me a long time though

Glasgow

obscurity (or Easterhouse).

Sorry Onny, never been up with politics, thanks for pointing it out though."

Easy mistake to make. The Tories all look the same, dress the same and spout the same pish.

I was in the same boat as you sugar but I have finally found a full time job toom me a long time though "

took even lol sorry

"I'm currently not working due to b problem with my disabled daughter.. but I still do work here and there volunteering with various victim support agencies..

I can't work guaranteed hours currently... So just pop in... It however makes me feel I'm giving something back.. and gets me out the house "

In my opinion someone who is a full time carer for a disabled or ill relative is not unemployed

I also am awear that some people genuinely do not want to be out of work and are looking, my opinions are for people who are perfectly fit and well yet been out of work for years and have no intentions of working

dagenham

"I'm currently not working due to b problem with my disabled daughter.. but I still do work here and there volunteering with various victim support agencies..

I can't work guaranteed hours currently... So just pop in... It however makes me feel I'm giving something back.. and gets me out the house "

Sorry to hear about your daughter, and I applaud you for giving what time you can to volunteering with various support agencies etc. but it's exactly that, you are volunteering, you are not being told you have to do it.

my _iew is that, properly thought out, its a good idea.

give people a reason to get up in a morning ,rather than sleeping til dinner time, going on the jobsite for half and hour, then sitting infront of the xbox for the rest of the day.

what they should do it, work out what hours your benefits equate to in the minimum wage, so, to make it easy, a £50 benefit and a £5 minimum wage, equates to 10 hours a week working, whatever that may be, and for me, it should possibly be helping in the community. doing gardening for oaps, helping the councils build parks and so on.

BUT.......EVERY benefit should be taken into account, so, if you are claiming rent allowance, council tax, income support and so on and so forth, that maybe equates to £250 a week, then you should be looking forward to a 50 hour week, im afraid.

ateotd there are people that are working hard, all week, to earn a reasonable wage, why should they work for the same amount someone is CHOOSING to sit at home for.

and please dont forget, this isnt about those on incapacity and disability, its for long term unemployed.

an employer is going to look at someone that makes an effort, no matter how small that effort is, rather than see someone that hasnt lifted a finger for 2 or more years.

but if you do work for £6.19 a hour you can claim tax credits to bump your money up, no one has to live on £6.19 a hour"

So true that is exactly what I have done

Glasgow

"Where are these jobs coming from? And if they are genuine positions why are they not being advertised and filled with people earning a wage from them? Even charity/voluntary work goes against the governments own regulations about being available.

Typical ill thought out tory rhetoric designed to keep the public blaming those at the bottom of the pile for the recession. "

They'll find vacancies in Tory donor owned supermarkets.

Why even pay national minimum wage when Toryboy Dave will send you a bunch of workers for free?

"my _iew is that, properly thought out, its a good idea.

give people a reason to get up in a morning ,rather than sleeping til dinner time, going on the jobsite for half and hour, then sitting infront of the xbox for the rest of the day.

what they should do it, work out what hours your benefits equate to in the minimum wage, so, to make it easy, a £50 benefit and a £5 minimum wage, equates to 10 hours a week working, whatever that may be, and for me, it should possibly be helping in the community. doing gardening for oaps, helping the councils build parks and so on.

BUT.......EVERY benefit should be taken into account, so, if you are claiming rent allowance, council tax, income support and so on and so forth, that maybe equates to £250 a week, then you should be looking forward to a 50 hour week, im afraid.

ateotd there are people that are working hard, all week, to earn a reasonable wage, why should they work for the same amount someone is CHOOSING to sit at home for.

and please dont forget, this isnt about those on incapacity and disability, its for long term unemployed.

an employer is going to look at someone that makes an effort, no matter how small that effort is, rather than see someone that hasnt lifted a finger for 2 or more years."

I couldn't agree more apart from 50 hrs I would put a limit on 30 hours plus 5 hrs in a job club thing where its compulsory to apply for 2 jobs an hour its not really unfair to have to do something for something.

Glasgow

............."

I suspect the plan is to get some of these 'workshy' folk to look after your daughter so that someone, like yourself, who genuinely wants to work can do so.

Two birds with one stone, so to speak.

At present I earn between £1 an hour and £5 an hour, to enable me to pay bills and maintain my choices I work on average 100 hours a week, that's my choice, when you work for yourself there are no minimum wages, no maximum hours.

I do love all the excuses people come up for not having to do voluntary work its almost as its a frightening concept getting of the sofa and contributing to society its not as though there aren't old people out there or social projects that currently get little no help that could not do with it.

moston

"my _iew is that, properly thought out, its a good idea.

an employer is going to look at someone that makes an effort, no matter how small that effort is, rather than see someone that hasnt lifted a finger for 2 or more years."

I like your thinking! But I would also want anyone working for their benefits to also be entitled to the same "in work" benefits as someone working the same hours in a real job.

Because this scheme looks like nothing more than a cynical ploy by the tory richboys to force more into poverty, penury and destitution for the benefit of their even richer mates and backers.

I suspect the plan is to get some of these 'workshy' folk to look after your daughter so that someone, like yourself, who genuinely wants to work can do so.

Two birds with one stone, so to speak."

:- I very much doubt they will be expected to go into peoples homes to look after disabled or ill people, if your qualified enough to do that you wouldn't be unemployed in the first place

It's good in the sense that it's keep peoples hand in the market experience wise but as others have said if they are volunteering serval hours a day they are still getting the independence that's working allows n still end up in cases of people with kids being better off on benefit, plus for the workers among us out there u know yourself after a full days work (volunteering r otherwise) do u really wanna spend the rest of the night searching online for work, no because by the time the mundane chores n etc are out of the way u wanna crash out n rest, so then the day start again and they are volunteering so can't be out delivering cv's etc so in initial theory it's good but I don't see it being a solution to in employment

"I unemployed to work in library's that have had to close down, sports facilities and other public amenities that have been shut due to cuts.

Would it not also get some of them valuable up to date work experience and potential references?"

But the library closed as the state couldn't afford to pay to keep it open, that's wages building and books. Using state money in the form of benefits to replace state money in the form of wages doesn't make any kind of sense!

Also, this has happened before my brother in law used to go round doing gardening and stuff when he left school and couldn't find work. Think that was a thatcher policy. So no new ideas 20 years on!

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

:- I very much doubt they will be expected to go into peoples homes to look after disabled or ill people, if your qualified enough to do that you wouldn't be unemployed in the first place "

So all carers are employed?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

OK don't turn this into a platform for an immigrant rant.

( if you quoted posts they will have been removed )

"

:- I very much doubt they will be expected to go into peoples homes to look after disabled or ill people, if your qualified enough to do that you wouldn't be unemployed in the first place

So all carers are employed?"

no but there's a different between caring for a family member and doing it as a job

Glasgow

:- I very much doubt they will be expected to go into peoples homes to look after disabled or ill people, if your qualified enough to do that you wouldn't be unemployed in the first place "

The plan is for a number of local day care centres (owned by Tory donors) where disabled or ill people can be brought to be looked after by a small team of professionals and an army of conscripts from Job Centre +.

"I unemployed to work in library's that have had to close down, sports facilities and other public amenities that have been shut due to cuts.

Would it not also get some of them valuable up to date work experience and potential references?

But the library closed as the state couldn't afford to pay to keep it open, that's wages building and books. Using state money in the form of benefits to replace state money in the form of wages doesn't make any kind of sense!

Also, this has happened before my brother in law used to go round doing gardening and stuff when he left school and couldn't find work. Think that was a thatcher policy. So no new ideas 20 years on!"

Yes it does for those who have to travel to central library's rather than a local one. Wage bills are by far the highest cost no rates to the council only some lighting heating and water which is far less than 3k. There are old people out there who the library was a communal hub within walking distance whats wrong with people on benefits giving a bit back in time.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

no but there's a different between caring for a family member and doing it as a job"

Ok I will rehrase....are all carers who are doing it as a job employed?

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

The plan is for a number of local day care centres (owned by Tory donors) where disabled or ill people can be brought to be looked after by a small team of professionals and an army of conscripts from Job Centre +."

in that case I apologise as that's different to looking after someone one on one in their home which is what I thought you ment

Glasgow

"

A friend of mine is in business, he tendered for and won a contract to supply services to a public body. He has encountered a huge problem as all his designated staff have to undergo drugs testing, he is finding it very difficult to recruit workers as most of the applicants back out when told they will have to have a drugs test.

If drugs screening was more widespread this sort of thing wouldn't be such an issue..."

If you applied it to alcohol there'd be precious few people at work most days.

"

no but there's a different between caring for a family member and doing it as a job

Ok I will rehrase....are all carers who are doing it as a job employed?"

not sure what you mean

if its a job then surly your employed? how can you be unemployed if you have a job?

My only concern is that people will do jobs that would normally be done by paid workers. Keeping salaries of those workers down and also actually creating more unemployed by larger companies being able to have a % of their workforce on zero wages (I believe M&S boasted 2% earlier this year by taking on young people for 'work experience') If it is working to support charities in roles that could give them something for the CV then I think it's good... This is unlikely though.

I think its outrageous and illegal, the poor are not slaves...are we going back in time or what???

The plan is for a number of local day care centres (owned by Tory donors) where disabled or ill people can be brought to be looked after by a small team of professionals and an army of conscripts from Job Centre +."

Like you would know who donates what to these day centres and their political persuasions. would you say thise old people who are freezing in thier own homes due to fuel costs should stp there rather than go to a community run centre where they can talk to others and be warm is better? Just so people dont have to switch Jezza off and help out? Helping others is not a sin no matter how hard you try and make it one.

I think its outrageous and illegal, the poor are not slaves...are we going back in time or what??? "

we know their not, if they was slaves they wouldn't get any money at all

Glasgow

".......

The plan is for a number of local day care centres (owned by Tory donors) where disabled or ill people can be brought to be looked after by a small team of professionals and an army of conscripts from Job Centre +.

in that case I apologise as that's different to looking after someone one on one in their home which is what I thought you ment "

I apologise too. I made it up but you can well see someone in Tory Central Office thinking 'that Onny's no' so daft.........'

The fact that you believed it shows just how far the Tories have gone.

"

"

Really?!?.....

Glasgow

I think its outrageous and illegal, the poor are not slaves...are we going back in time or what???

we know their not, if they was slaves they wouldn't get any money at all "

That might come next. There's food banks being set up all over the country.

birmingham

"Now they propose to replace the street cleaners with unpaid unemployed. "

I haven't seen this proposal. Is that an assumption by yourself? I haven't seen anything at all saying that people will be "replaced"

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Ok I will rehrase....are all carers who are doing it as a job employed?

not sure what you mean

if its a job then surly your employed? how can you be unemployed if you have a job?"

I think you probably know exactly what I was getting at....you said "if your qualified enough to do that you wouldn't be unemployed in the first place"

I was asking so does that mean that you think every person who is qualified as a carer is employed....but no matter now

we know their not, if they was slaves they wouldn't get any money at all "

Benefits are NOT money..they're entitlements!!!

Im qualified to do that job and much more yet im not working....But not because i dont want to work,but for different circumstances.

As for commenting on the fucking tories new game.im gonna plead the fifth....or i may lose my marbles all together

Benefits are NOT money..they're entitlements!!! "

course its money, it may be money that your entitled to but its still money

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Benefits are NOT money..they're entitlements!!! "

How do you work that one out..they get money put into their bank account....unless I am missing something

"Yes it does for those who have to travel to central library's rather than a local one. Wage bills are by far the highest cost no rates to the council only some lighting heating and water which is far less than 3k. There are old people out there who the library was a communal hub within walking distance whats wrong with people on benefits giving a bit back in time."

But you missed the point that both library employees and unemployment benefits are paid through taxes, IF the government wanted to keep the library open then they could increase the portion given the council in exchange for a promise to employ staff from the benefit recipients...

well it wont hurt and who knows jobs may come of it well for those that want to work. has to be good for ppl's self esteem to know they are worth something not just being handed out money for nothing. I think

"My only concern is that people will do jobs that would normally be done by paid workers. Keeping salaries of those workers down and also actually creating more unemployed by larger companies being able to have a % of their workforce on zero wages (I believe M&S boasted 2% earlier this year by taking on young people for 'work experience') If it is working to support charities in roles that could give them something for the CV then I think it's good... This is unlikely though. "

This is a good point. I'm in favour of getting people working and contributing towards benefits with the exception of those who genuinely can't.

But it is a problem if some sectors become dependant on free labour.

And how the tories and others think that someone on j/seekers is getting more than those that work is a crock of shite.

My mate is 61 and currently existing on £63 a week......worked two jobs most of her life until getting cancer ...and now...well they want to send her on a job focus course and expect her to trawl the streets looking for work. she feels so demoralised and worthless. Lost 4 stone in weight because she eats one small meal a day.

She becomes a pensioner next mth but they dont care ..she still has to attend a work focus group in order to get that money.

fucking disgraceful.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I'd worry that people will get the piss taken with them just because they are on benefits....

sorry but if your in my position no you don't I am not eligible to claim working tax credits or whatever and earn 6.19 am hour at the minute

Glasgow

"Yes it does for those who have to travel to central library's rather than a local one. Wage bills are by far the highest cost no rates to the council only some lighting heating and water which is far less than 3k. There are old people out there who the library was a communal hub within walking distance whats wrong with people on benefits giving a bit back in time.

But you missed the point that both library employees and unemployment benefits are paid through taxes, IF the government wanted to keep the library open then they could increase the portion given the council in exchange for a promise to employ staff from the benefit recipients... "

Pickles would never stand for that. The last thing he wants is an educated electorate.

"My only concern is that people will do jobs that would normally be done by paid workers. Keeping salaries of those workers down and also actually creating more unemployed by larger companies being able to have a % of their workforce on zero wages (I believe M&S boasted 2% earlier this year by taking on young people for 'work experience') If it is working to support charities in roles that could give them something for the CV then I think it's good... This is unlikely though.

This is a good point. I'm in favour of getting people working and contributing towards benefits with the exception of those who genuinely can't.

But it is a problem if some sectors become dependant on free labour."

I agree, I don't think unemployed people should be used for company profit or to do jobs that would other wise be advertised and paid for, I don't think its ok to exploit people, but I don't think helping out with charities is immoral, lots of employed people do this in their spare time

So what happens when you are made redundant after 15 years service.

Are now 52 yrs old have a mortgage that I don't get Housing Benefit to help pay.

I apply for a job I am way over qualified for and don't get because 4,000 other folk applied for the same position (Hard Rock Cafe Glasgow) or more recently a position I did want and was qualified to do and received an email from advising me that their HR Dept stopped taking in applications after 800 so as a result my application had not been considered

I am attending Court as my Mortgage company have just won a Decree of Repossession against me and my house is about to go.

When I was under threat of redundancy I was told funding was in ace to help people like me find work my local JC+ told me to and I quote " take a run and jump"

Now attending my GP and on anti depressants

How does someone used to living in a large house with a reasonable salary and outgoings like mortgage etc that match that salary get on in life in a crumbling, damp draughty bedsit on £50 a week ESA with all my debts now having arrears running into Thousands and a family that are now estranged from me.

Now this tosser in Westminster wants to take that off me too

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I have one take on this. If it is to help genuine charitable concerns, I see no problem. It may help people get into the habit of work, raise their self-esteem, potentially help them with some skills and be useful on a CV.

However, if anyone is forced to work for a profit-making concern then I am 100% against. The jobless are not slave labour, and the taxpayer should not be used to subsidise profit making companies. If they have work available then it should be PAID!

I have a radical idea, how about we take a much needed service, something like a system of sending pieces of paper and parcels to people no matter where they live in the country in a quick and to the door method... we could call it POST. then we could open places all over the country where people could drop stuff off and subsidise it so that lots of people work in this industry and the benefits budget can be reduced.

IF the focus was on service not profits then lots of extra people could be employed we could repeat the idea with other national service industries like moving people round the country, providing major services like gas and electricity.... Oh hang on we used to do that before Thatcher sold everything to subsidise her term in power...

Why dont they just make it law,that anyone on benefits has to wear a bright orange jump suit when out in public.

Then everyone can point at them and blame the state of the country, squarely on THEIR shoulders.

If it wasn't for those on benefits,we would all be "millionaires".

"And how the tories and others think that someone on j/seekers is getting more than those that work is a crock of shite.

My mate is 61 and currently existing on £63 a week......worked two jobs most of her life until getting cancer ...and now...well they want to send her on a job focus course and expect her to trawl the streets looking for work. she feels so demoralised and worthless. Lost 4 stone in weight because she eats one small meal a day.

She becomes a pensioner next mth but they dont care ..she still has to attend a work focus group in order to get that money.

fucking disgraceful. "

This is disgusting...we should be helping people like this, not kicking them when they're down!

And if they do have to work for their meagre pittence, you can bet its a tory that owns the bloody company

Glasgow

"So what happens when you are made redundant after 15 years service.

Are now 52 yrs old have a mortgage that I don't get Housing Benefit to help pay.

"

Don't you get Mortgage Interest Support after a certain length of time?

birmingham

"And how the tories and others think that someone on j/seekers is getting more than those that work is a crock of shite"

The Tories and others don't think everyone is getting more than those that work. They know there're are some, too many, far too many getting more money in benefits than some that work.

Thats disgracefull

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"I have a radical idea, how about we take a much needed service, something like a system of sending pieces of paper and parcels to people no matter where they live in the country in a quick and to the door method... we could call it POST. then we could open places all over the country where people could drop stuff off and subsidise it so that lots of people work in this industry and the benefits budget can be reduced.

IF the focus was on service not profits then lots of extra people could be employed we could repeat the idea with other national service industries like moving people round the country, providing major services like gas and electricity.... Oh hang on we used to do that before Thatcher sold everything to subsidise her term in power... "

Dont youse think this is slave labour?

How many small companies collapsed with the introduction of the minimum wage as couldnt afford to keep employees!

If it was done say like you on £65 benefits per week then do 10 hours fair enough but not 40 hour week thats ridiculous

"And how the tories and others think that someone on j/seekers is getting more than those that work is a crock of shite.

fucking disgraceful.

This is disgusting...we should be helping people like this, not kicking them when they're down! "

There are thousands like her ...but its soul destroying to see her....and when she sits and crys and wishes the cancer had finished her off.........well thats when i get mad as hell.

I actually feel that giving people a more structured way to conduct a job search, with all the resources they need, a time table that gives them a reason to leave the house, getting employers in, having a social element and also focussing on improving skills & basic qualifications would work better.

I see no reason why those on a benefit that focuses on finding employment for the abled can not be seen as being on 'wages' ...Seeing it this way may also take away the stigma that many feel.

My wages are also an entitlement for the work I do. If you are on benefits you get the standard amount and also your rent and council tax paid. Along with other discounts or free things (prescriptions, discount travel, courses, dental treatment, etc) It can equate to a decent wage. Doing something to receive that should not be an issue.

I just hope anyone here, myself included, never find ourselves out of work....

dagenham

I apply for a job I am way over qualified for and don't get because 4,000 other folk applied for the same position (Hard Rock Cafe Glasgow) or more recently a position I did want and was qualified to do and received an email from advising me that their HR Dept stopped taking in applications after 800 so as a result my application had not been considered

I am attending Court as my Mortgage company have just won a Decree of Repossession against me and my house is about to go.

When I was under threat of redundancy I was told funding was in ace to help people like me find work my local JC+ told me to and I quote " take a run and jump"

Now attending my GP and on anti depressants

How does someone used to living in a large house with a reasonable salary and outgoings like mortgage etc that match that salary get on in life in a crumbling, damp draughty bedsit on £50 a week ESA with all my debts now having arrears running into Thousands and a family that are now estranged from me.

Now this tosser in Westminster wants to take that off me too

"

I feel for you Rok, but I'm afraid you are now just a number and jot a NI number either. I say vote home rule my friend

If they do bring it in,then they can close all the job centers and save even more money.

After all,you cant expect anyone to work for benefits,and then go and sign on.

Working for benefits means your employed doesn't it.So fully entitled to full tax credits and everything else that goes with it.

Doesn't sound like she is getting her full entitlement.

I do wonder if some people on here who are so judgemental have ever been unemployed?

I have and job hunting is not only soul destroying it is also time consuming. A normal day id be up 7ish available to respond to any agencies that might call or email. All advice you will ever receive says tailor the application to the posotion so constant tweaking of CV's and writing coberong letters. As many agencies put adverts up on the afternoon I could be applying for jobs well in to the evening.

Living in London I could only afford to travel by bus to inter_iews which could take over an hour and I'd often walk home to save money.

Taking a basic job is counterproductive, you aren't available for inter_iew so agencies don't want to know so by working you have slightly more money but less opportunity.

It is soul destroying. You have no life

"And how the tories and others think that someone on j/seekers is getting more than those that work is a crock of shite

The Tories and others don't think everyone is getting more than those that work. They know there're are some, too many, far too many getting more money in benefits than some that work.

Thats disgracefull"

And i will tell you why........

The system of claiming is fucked....the dla for example....

You make a claim, send no proof in and they deal with your claim on trust

This benefit could be sorted straight away with those claiming, sending medical proof in with their claim....no proof...no money.

But thats to much work for the civil servants....they dont like that idea.

so people take the piss.....

blame the system in place and not those struggling for trying to survive

By *aravancoupleMan  over a year ago

A Secret Hideaway In the caravan of love

I have worked from the age of 16 I am now 55,we have been working a 3 day week for 10 weeks, and was told on Thursday that the receivers may be in on Tuesday, I have never been unemployed I have always worked.

So why should I be forced to clean the street, when there are people that have never work a day in there lives, and are better off than me always in the pub always have fags.

Rant over I have just counted to 10

Don't you get Mortgage Interest Support after a certain length of time?"

after 6 months but by then the arrears are mounting and all the bank want is their cash back by then I know this as was in the position last year and was forced to sell my home. To the bank you cease to be a person . So after 17 years of home ownership I now rent and earn minimum wage

It's an incentive to stop the small minority of work-shy wasters taking advantage of us all...

Yes they are paid for looking for work. If they are made to work say 20 hours a week and still only recieving there £40ish pound a week then they are only on about £2 an hour. How is that fair when other people are recieving minimum wage for similar work.

Not all people who will be put on this are going to be work shy. You get put on the work program after not being able to find a job after a year. Then if you still aren't successful you are going to be forced to work for third world wages"

Those recovering minimum wage will be paying tax and insurance and not claiming JSA though

"I just hope anyone here, myself included, never find ourselves out of work.... "

been there, done it, when I was married I worked night and my hubby worked days, upto the break up of my marriage I had never claimed benefits in all my life, but because I worked nights and had kids I had to give up work as I couldn't work nights and leave my kids in the house alone and no child minding company works till 6am, I didn't get a penny in benefits, I was treat like a leper and had to live on my savings, luckily I was only out of work for 6 weeks so was back into work before they sorted my claim out so never got a penny, even tho I have worked all my life bar those 6 weeks so paid into the system, yet some havnt worked for years yet still claim

We all hit hard times at some point some people are happy to just sit back and take, some actively look for a job, I think its those who sit back and take that this is targeted at

Lets assume for simplicity minimum wage is £5per hour and say max hours government say you have to attend to get the dole and again for simplicity do le is £75pwk. Based on 30 hours that equals £150pwk yet dole half that.

Its nowt more than slave labour and way tories getting round minimum wage again.

I agree it beneficial for those able to work and majority actually try despite propaganda in press what incentive is there for any employer whether charity or not to actually take someone on at min wage.

So how can anyone on dole actually have realistic chance of getting off the dole.

By *ittleBitOfFunCouple  over a year ago

Cardiff

"I think some peole are really missing the point here I don't think the op was condoning councils sacking people and replacing them with unemployed people! Although I can see the work shy jumping up and down and using this as an argument against it happening. However whats wrong with getting the long term unemployed to work in library's that have had to close down, sports facilities and other public amenities that have been shut due to cuts.

As always. Easy to say if you are a Millionaire.

The country is run buy two people who have never had proper jobs and both tell us to find work.

If only all our parents left us that much money

Oh and as far as tax is concerned....many benefits are taxed before ya get them.........so those not working are paying something into the system. not much i grant you but then they dont get much to start with.

I do wish some folk would stop believing the media crap and tory crap spouted each and every day about benefit scroungers etc.

birmingham

"My wages are also an entitlement for the work I do. If you are on benefits you get the standard amount and also your rent and council tax paid. Along with other discounts or free things (prescriptions, discount travel, courses, dental treatment, etc) It can equate to a decent wage. Doing something to receive that should not be an issue."

A couple accross the road from me are both unemployed, she signs on and he is on her claim. She does the "job seeking" he doesnt have too. They get £220 a fortnight jobseekers, they privately rent and get over £450 a month in rent benefit, they have small children and get £80 a week child tax benefit, they get £1000 a year council tax benefit. Almost every day I watch him get in a taxi and go to the local Wetherspoons. Other day he got home I heard him say to someone passing in the street that he was going to spend the rest of the day playing Grand Theft Auto.... Repeat this scenario day after day after day.

I can't wait for this "work for your benefits scheme" starts. I'm ssssoooo looking forward to seeing either of them cleaning graffiti or litter picking instead of playing games.

birmingham

"So why should I be forced to clean the street, when there are people that have never work a day in there lives, and are better off than me always in the pub always have fags."

It'll be 3 years of signing on before you'll be asked to clean any streets.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

In 1975 at the age of 16 whilst waiting to start basic training with the Army I was advised to 'sign on' for the 5 month period..

then they put us on a 'scheme whereby a bunch of us lads, 2 were mates also waiting to start their RN training etc..

we were with the Parks dept and spent part of a 6 week period mid winter converting some waste ground into an open air theatre..

even with the shit weather we got it done, it has never been used and is now waste ground albeit with terracing..

point i'm making is that most Governments have these sort of ideas and usually they're just pointless and designed to make it look like folks are being productive and also reducing the numbers of folks unemployed..

on the current proposals whilst I can see some positives (not many mind you) is it not just a smoke screen to cover the fact that the 'job creation scheme' has failed under the Tories..

and can anyone tell me logistically the job centres with their staffing reductions will be able to handle 'daily visits' from long term unemployed..?

Glasgow

"My wages are also an entitlement for the work I do. If you are on benefits you get the standard amount and also your rent and council tax paid. Along with other discounts or free things (prescriptions, discount travel, courses, dental treatment, etc) It can equate to a decent wage. Doing something to receive that should not be an issue.

A couple accross the road from me are both unemployed, she signs on and he is on her claim. She does the "job seeking" he doesnt have too. They get £220 a fortnight jobseekers, they privately rent and get over £450 a month in rent benefit, they have small children and get £80 a week child tax benefit, they get £1000 a year council tax benefit. Almost every day I watch him get in a taxi and go to the local Wetherspoons. Other day he got home I heard him say to someone passing in the street that he was going to spend the rest of the day playing Grand Theft Auto.... Repeat this scenario day after day after day.

I can't wait for this "work for your benefits scheme" starts. I'm ssssoooo looking forward to seeing either of them cleaning graffiti or litter picking instead of playing games."

Poor bastard. Drinking in Wetherspoons.

Two birds with one stone, so to speak."

Im a full time carer to my disabled mum and would love to work a few hours a week but in saying that I wouldn't want someone off the street who has no experience coming into my house to look after my mum whilst I went out to work for a few hours

"Brilliant plan!

Just need to find me flat cap so I can tip the brim and tug me forelock to me lords n masters. "

Glasgow

Im a full time carer to my disabled mum and would love to work a few hours a week but in saying that I wouldn't want someone off the street who has no experience coming into my house to look after my mum whilst I went out to work for a few hours"

You might not be given that choice.

"They get paid.they should do something for the comunity that pay them..ie us"
Yes I think it could work if people get work for there skills and do things for the community. Lots would love to work and mix with people .

I am always amazed at individuals who have a job think they are paying for the unemployed this is not how money works nor how it is created, I think many people need to learn about money banks economy and how money appears in your hand.

Above all I really have a hatred for those who think every unemployed person in some sort of bum who won't work, well if that is your thought when you lose your job your a bum too simples.

Any way every one have a nice day.

Will the unemployed slave labour get their rent subsidies reintroduced? I.E. The bedroom tax. After all, they will be working for their 'benefits' so should be entitled to FULL rent benefits. And not have to pay the extras out of their £40-£70 per week.

"My wages are also an entitlement for the work I do. If you are on benefits you get the standard amount and also your rent and council tax paid. Along with other discounts or free things (prescriptions, discount travel, courses, dental treatment, etc) It can equate to a decent wage. Doing something to receive that should not be an issue.

I can't wait for this "work for your benefits scheme" starts. I'm ssssoooo looking forward to seeing either of them cleaning graffiti or litter picking instead of playing games."

Out of interest how do you know so much about their financial circumstances?

I can't wait for this "work for your benefits scheme" starts. I'm ssssoooo looking forward to seeing either of them cleaning graffiti or litter picking instead of playing games.

Out of interest how do you know so much about their financial circumstances? "

I was thinking the exact same!

What pisses me off is that there are very little jobs out there and its like treating the poor with contempt by making them feel like second class citizens

Mps on £90 thousand a year and yet they want a pay rise but familys and people on benefits are to survive on £57 a week its absolutely disgraceful this goverment only wants to make the poor poorer and rich richer love to see them live 6 months on benefits

"I am always amazed at individuals who have a job think they are paying for the unemployed this is not how money works nor how it is created, I think many people need to learn about money banks economy and how money appears in your hand.

Above all I really have a hatred for those who think every unemployed person in some sort of bum who won't work, well if that is your thought when you lose your job your a bum too simples.

Any way every one have a nice day. "

Well where do you think it does come from its not out of fresh air or magically appears in Paul Daniels hand after fisting Debbie.

Ok Im confused, unempoyed work for benefits? Bit of a contradiction in terms really, if the unemployed work, then they're employed, and the money paid is a wage isn't it?

Glasgow

"What pisses me off is that there are very little jobs out there and its like treating the poor with contempt by making them feel like second class citizens

Mps on £90 thousand a year and yet they want a pay rise but familys and people on benefits are to survive on £57 a week its absolutely disgraceful this goverment only wants to make the poor poorer and rich richer love to see them live 6 months on benefits "

You might want to check that £90,000 figure. Anyway, it's a crap job. Away from home. Constantly in the public eye. No job security.......

birmingham

Out of interest how do you know so much about their financial circumstances? "

They'll tell anyone that's prepared to listen. I'm often told by her that I'm mad do the shifts and the hours that I do and that I should "do what we do"

They'll tell anyone that's prepared to listen. I'm often told by her that I'm mad do the shifts and the hours that I do and that I should "do what we do" "

So, they have £180 per week for food, leccy and gas for themselves and their small children. Still not a lot is it though?

Im a full time carer to my disabled mum and would love to work a few hours a week but in saying that I wouldn't want someone off the street who has no experience coming into my house to look after my mum whilst I went out to work for a few hours"

20 years ago I was in similar situation, I stopped teaching to care for my parents and went from a good wage down to £35 a week carers allowance, to look after 2 parents full time, to get some more money I could work up to 15 hours a week, I did so by working on the phone, when they were asleep to supplement my income.

I have no regrets and would make the same choice again.

birmingham

They'll tell anyone that's prepared to listen. I'm often told by her that I'm mad do the shifts and the hours that I do and that I should "do what we do"

So, they have £180 per week for food, leccy and gas for themselves and their small children. Still not a lot is it though?"

By the time I've paid my mortgage and council tax they have more to spend on food, electric and gas than what I do and I work full time.

[Removed by poster at 30/09/13 13:23:36]

Benefits are NOT money..they're entitlements!!!

course its money, it may be money that your entitled to but its still money "

So why should I have to work again.. to be entitled to the same benefits that I AM ALREADY entitled to??

Maybe if our monies were to stay in our own country we wouldn't be in this mess!

Ive just spoken to my mate ,who i said will be a pensioner next mth...

If this was rolled out now........she would have to pay £20 a week to attend the job center every day. That would leave her around £40 per week to live on........that includes gas,electric,water ,probably nowt for food etc.

Many more will be losing similar amounts in order to attend....they wont get extra for travel.

Maybe the government can put into place a free cyanide capsule and be done with the problem all together.

It would save money and stop people like my mate,worrying themselves sick on how they are going to manage .......

"Ive just spoken to my mate ,who i said will be a pensioner next mth...

If this was rolled out now........she would have to pay £20 a week to attend the job center every day. That would leave her around £40 per week to live on........that includes gas,electric,water ,probably nowt for food etc.

Many more will be losing similar amounts in order to attend....they wont get extra for travel.

Maybe the government can put into place a free cyanide capsule and be done with the problem all together.

It would save money and stop people like my mate,worrying themselves sick on how they are going to manage ....... "

Why won't they get extra for travel? Or is that an unfounded negative statement so someone can throw things on the floor and say "Im not doing it" if a free day pass on transport was provided would they do it or would another excuse be conjured up? The reality is giving people money just because they breath drains public funds is it really wrong to ask people to do a bit for the community who are generating the cash for said funds?

while I can see the Ideas for and against, i have to say I'm against it. this has happened before and the govorment was sued because someone was working in poundland illigally and IDS had a hissy fit on TV because people who have university qualifications considered themselves "too good" for shelf stacking and I say the same thing to this as i do to the last one. I don't have a problem stacking shelves or working in a shop, I just expect to be paid for it, same as the person next to me

I think the figure is pretty accurate for an mps wage and lets look at the expenses on top the 2 houses some have and paid for by taxpayers and lets not forget the great mr cameron stole from these exact taxpayers by claiming for expenses that didnt exist but was he put in jail no its scandalous how anyone can listen to this man he will go on about people who cant work like elderly and disabled when he claimed for more than what they got in a year.

I agree it can be frustrating that some on benefits have all the gadgets and do not want to work but dont tar everyone the same and I dont care how you look at it it amounts to slave labour and id bet its illegal and immoral

They wont give them extra cash..........that defeats the object in question.

And i think you will find, most wont mind doing something worthwhile for their monies, they just dont want to be used as slave labour for the tories and friends.

Once again, media perpetuate the myth that EVERYONE who receives benefits are scroungers.

Its simply not true

By *ts artMan  over a year ago

Londonderry

First they came for the Slavs

I said nothing

Then they came for the gypsies

I said nothing

Then they came for the Jews

I said nothing

Then they came for me

There was no one who would speak out

It would save money and stop people like my mate,worrying themselves sick on how they are going to manage .......

Why won't they get extra for travel? Or is that an unfounded negative statement so someone can throw things on the floor and say "Im not doing it" if a free day pass on transport was provided would they do it or would another excuse be conjured up? The reality is giving people money just because they breath drains public funds is it really wrong to ask people to do a bit for the community who are generating the cash for said funds? "

They wo'nt get paid travel expenses because the government is trying to cut back on the welfare bill, not add to it! It will come out of the unemployed persons own pocket to attend the job centre daily.

"while I can see the Ideas for and against, i have to say I'm against it. this has happened before and the govorment was sued because someone was working in poundland illigally and IDS had a hissy fit on TV because people who have university qualifications considered themselves "too good" for shelf stacking and I say the same thing to this as i do to the last one. I don't have a problem stacking shelves or working in a shop, I just expect to be paid for it, same as the person next to me"

What about if you were asked to help out in a sheltered community for older members of society maybe just chatting to them ad doing some gardening for them would you expect them to pay you for your services opposed to benefit linked community work?

"I think the figure is pretty accurate for an mps wage and lets look at the expenses on top the 2 houses some have and paid for by taxpayers and lets not forget the great mr cameron stole from these exact taxpayers by claiming for expenses that didnt exist but was he put in jail no its scandalous how anyone can listen to this man he will go on about people who cant work like elderly and disabled when he claimed for more than what they got in a year.

I agree it can be frustrating that some on benefits have all the gadgets and do not want to work but dont tar everyone the same and I dont care how you look at it it amounts to slave labour and id bet its illegal and immoral"

Plus.......

Most of what i have in my home ,i saved for and paid cash for.when i was working. like others....

I was told by a council guy when discussing bedroom tax....to sell what i had.......WTF.

I cant wait for the day i get to the stage i can work again and tell them all to shove their money up their arses ......sideways

"First they came for the Slavs

I said nothing

Then they came for the gypsies

I said nothing

Then they came for the Jews

I said nothing

Then they came for me

There was no one who would speak out"

By *wingerdelightCouple  over a year ago

eastliegh

The problem we have now is that we have second even third generation families who have never worked. How are the young going to learn a work ethic? If this helps people to help themselves then its a good idea.

Why won't they get extra for travel? Or is that an unfounded negative statement so someone can throw things on the floor and say "Im not doing it" if a free day pass on transport was provided would they do it or would another excuse be conjured up? The reality is giving people money just because they breath drains public funds is it really wrong to ask people to do a bit for the community who are generating the cash for said funds?

They wo'nt get paid travel expenses because the government is trying to cut back on the welfare bill, not add to it! It will come out of the unemployed persons own pocket to attend the job centre daily."

I guess walking is out of the question then as the sofa will get cold? Sorry but we get so many excuses at times for people not wanting to get of their arse it is depressing.

Heres a thought. Who is going to insure all the unemployed at their 'work' placements? Or won't you 'make em work' types not mind your premiums going up?

I am already working voluntarily sort of (I am waiting for my Disclosure so I can help disabled children getting out)I do not think I should be forced into it, I will however agree to it, if MP's face the same strategy. they should be made to have cuts in their ridiculous salaries and they should not be able to claim anything. we should start with the people who are waisting the most before hammering those who have very little

If people have to report every day I have 2 concerns

How will the job centres cope with the volume when they turn up

Travel costs £... Cannot expected people to walk more than 3 miles each way ...

You get a sense of why it's so hard to get some people back into work reading some of these comments.

eastliegh

"

Travel costs £... Cannot expected people to walk more than 3 miles each way ...

"

why not its not like they have anything else to do?

So for example the people of the Highlands whose nearest job centre is 50 miles away can walk ? Even mine in Manchester was about 5 miles away .... come on let's get real

They wo'nt get paid travel expenses because the government is trying to cut back on the welfare bill, not add to it! It will come out of the unemployed persons own pocket to attend the job centre daily.

I guess walking is out of the question then as the sofa will get cold? Sorry but we get so many excuses at times for people not wanting to get of their arse it is depressing. "

Oh i dont mind walking........4 miles on crutches is nothing

eastliegh

Sorry I was responding to the 3 mile post. I walk more than that walking the dog

I guess walking is out of the question then as the sofa will get cold? Sorry but we get so many excuses at times for people not wanting to get of their arse it is depressing. "

Not if they are ABLE to walk! But, what about an older person having to walk miles there and back daily? Or the infirm? Or do you think we should give em rollerskates?

"So for example the people of the Highlands whose nearest job centre is 50 miles away can walk ? Even mine in Manchester was about 5 miles away .... come on let's get real "

5 miles is not too far to walk for most people and what percentage of the unemployed claimants are 50 miles away from a job center? The reality is that the biggest percentage of unemployed people are closer than 5 miles from a job center. But looking at the context of the thread and the op's initial question would it not be simpler for someone to do voluntary work in their own local community?

By *winkletoes80Woman  over a year ago

redditch

"They get paid.they should do something for the comunity that pay them..ie us"

Too right ! But they also need to look at the benefit system too , I'm a single working parent and I'm struggling to pay bills etc .. But if I wasn't to work I'd be better off how does that work ??

It wasnt directly aimed at you ...

But 8 miles a day for some is quite a feat.(where i live) not everyone claiming is fit ...though atos in its wisdom deemed them fit to work.

another waste of public monies ...big time

I guess walking is out of the question then as the sofa will get cold? Sorry but we get so many excuses at times for people not wanting to get of their arse it is depressing.

Not if they are ABLE to walk! But, what about an older person having to walk miles there and back daily? Or the infirm? Or do you think we should give em rollerskates?"

Older? Most people I know even in their late 60s are pretty active and the ones who can't work aren't unemployed they claim disability. Would you really suggest putting people who cant walk on rollerskates or is it an attempt a being funny because it didn't make me laugh.

By *exxifun5Couple  over a year ago

NORWICH

Well after seeing toms wage slip this month !!!! We are trying to keep ourselves afloat and try and save for a holiday next year. Tom has done 60 hrs overtime this month. And the lovely tax man has took enough tax out of his wages to actually pay for our holiday . I know some people need benefits at hard times in their lives (as I have in the past ) buts its temporary till you get on your feet. And it annoys me that tom has worked so hard this month just to pay others benefits. And cant even have a holiday for all his hard work

eastliegh

But going back to my previous post that no one seems to have read. If it teaches work ethic to those that don't have it how can it be a bad thing. And also maybe self respect. The sence of entitlment is high in to many

"It wasnt directly aimed at you ...

But 8 miles a day for some is quite a feat.(where i live) not everyone claiming is fit ...though atos in its wisdom deemed them fit to work.

another waste of public monies ...big time "

Ok you say its a long way although your forefathers would probably have laughed at that in the past.

So whats the answer give people piles of cash to sit on their arses and watch TV?

People need to contribute in some way to society not take all the time that's what communities are where everyone does their bit in some way. Help yourself help others not look for excuses not to do your bit.

dagenham

"I am always amazed at individuals who have a job think they are paying for the unemployed this is not how money works nor how it is created, I think many people need to learn about money banks economy and how money appears in your hand.

Claps loudly

Not if they are ABLE to walk! But, what about an older person having to walk miles there and back daily? Or the infirm? Or do you think we should give em rollerskates?

Older? Most people I know even in their late 60s are pretty active and the ones who can't work aren't unemployed they claim disability. Would you really suggest putting people who cant walk on rollerskates or is it an attempt a being funny because it didn't make me laugh. "

Ahhh. So just because you know some folk in their 60s who are 'quite active', that means ALL folk in their 60s are able to walk miles daily then? And the infirm? Who atos say are able to work? What about them? My 'rollerskate' comment was a facetious one btw! Not to be taken seriously!

there are a few people who get alot, and some who are barely scraping by trying to find the money for next weeks food. I have been looking for work for 4 years. Applying for anywhere between 2-20 jobs a day depending on what the newspapers and websites are like (about 25 hours a week job searching). this place is dire for work especially having dyspraxia, employers use it as an excuse not to hire me. and it's a catch 22 situation. the longer I am out of work, the harder it is to get back into work. INB4 try harder, some people just cannot get back into work, some people find it really, really easy

"

By *exxifun5Couple  over a year ago

NORWICH

Any way every one have a nice day.

Claps loudly "

Ok so I may need educating then as I thought that a majority of our tax goes into the benefits system. If it doesn't where does benefit money come from ? I also wouldnt make a generalisation that all unemployed are bums everyone is entitled to help if they genuinely need it . But there are some who treat it like a lifestyle .

You know what! If I did I would get off my backside and when not applying for jobs I would do some volentary work off my own bat not end up where the state suggests I do. I know a lot who are in that situation have done but its bloody shameful so many people put obstacles in the way of helping others lets face it if the majority did volunteer the government wouldn't have come up with this idea the facts are the majority not working dont.

Things are hard for everyone, times are tough...unless your a government minister.

But that really isnt a reason to attack the most vunerable in our society...

And its almost a daily occurence because people are so ready to believe the government lead media hype.

We could save loads of money in one fell swoop...........sack osborne and "ignorant dip shite"..otherwise known as ian duncan smith....along with getting rid of the french aresoles known as "atos"

I think people confuse vulnerable with being lazy at times. Not all the unemployed are lazy and I am pretty sure a lot less are vulnerable its just so sad people will do anything and say anything at all so they can do NOTHING to contribute to the community.

Well lets hope Mr Cameron and co are right and that getting the supertanker that is the British economy starting to chug forward again as to be fair the only real hope for unemployed people is for this to happen.

I don't think some hair brained schemed to get the unemployed working will actually do any good. It's like a sticking plaster over a huge problem. It might make some people feel better who are employed but the majority of these people live in not very nice parts of Britain where there are no jobs anyway. These parts of Britain need to get moving again somehow or other and it's not going to be achieved by endless handouts of benefits that's for sure.

If they are wrong gord help us all as we'll all sink deeper and deeper into the steaming great heap of crap that lies, lurking at the bottom of our economy. They've got 2 more years to try and get it going again. Fingers and toes crossed they do it.

I think in certain circumstances it can be a good idea, we have a friend who lives in a four bedroom council house by himself, has never worked, owns a fire blade, 55" TV , and has just bought himself a evo and goes to the gym three times a week, now correct me if I'm wrong but I thought benefits were to help those less fortunate ? I personally think stamps would be a better idea than money but that's for a different thread no doubt. I myself have been unemployed and when I was I did charity work (St. John's ambulance and cat protection league) I did whatever I could to get off jsa as quickly as possible, I ended up sweeping the streets for awhile until I managed to get into a better job ( even then it was factory work boring but at least it was money) I know plenty of people who refuse to work and use the system to their advantage unfortunately that won't change they will still manage to get out of it somehow, but I think community work would only be a good thing for anyone's self esteem

Paul

I agree with an earlier statement about it basically being slave labour. Plus, not all benefit claimers are the ones we have in mind.

Some are students with great degrees but no relevant work experience to get the job they want, some have recently been made redundant and can't find new employment as their industry is screwed or that at an age where no one wants to hire them.

And the drug testing is laughable. So narrow is the understanding of drugs and who takes them. You act as if the traders and bankers in the city don't enjoy a snort from time to time or office workers who come in after two hours sleep, still steaming d*unk. Just because you're working doesn't mean you're responsible. It reminds me of the laws that Napoleon the pig issued in the book "Animal farm" The message being "it's wrong to do this unless..."

By reading the some of the comments here and my thoughts on the proposal is we are targeting people in vulnerable positions with no clear way of helping them change it. It'll be a vicious cycle that will affect their future generations.

But that's the tory MO: keep the rich rich and the poor poor.