FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Hello to all Fellow Bikies!!!

Hello to all Fellow Bikies!!!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

It’s weird (this being a swingers forum etc.) but I’ve had several friendly hello messages from fellow bikers, so I’d like to say Hello to all the cyclists on here. Good to know that we get everywhere!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Bikies, I like bikies.

Chocolate ones are probably my fave, but like hob nobs, ginger nuts and custard creams too.

Nice to meet you Loony. I see how you chose your site name!

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Strongly believes that all cyclists over the age of 16 that use public roads in the UK should be made to get road insurance for their cycles.

"Nice to meet you Loony. I see how you chose your site name! "

I used to ride a decent mountain bike at one time, was real light and rather expensive, but I'm no expert on these things so don't ask me what type it was, lol.

Had to stop because my knees can't take the punishment now, but rode it all over, mates used to laugh at me because I wore a full motorbike waterproof suit, lol, all black and like the belstaff type, not colourful leathers, lol

I knew someone who once rode a bike for woolworths

does that count ?

an ex of mine started working life as a sunlight laundry boy picking up laundry on a push bike ..he liked the job so much he ended up running the company ...does that count??? i like bikies even tho i dont ride on myself ...alway got such lovely strong legs ......

I have a bike, however, I don't go very far, just a few miles so that my pooch can run along the bike.

I don't go on open roads, just dirt tracks and forests with bike tracks, so that the pooch can be off-lead.

Ooo, my bike is Dahon Jetstream XP with front and back suspension, and I take it camping with me with the pooch too!

"Strongly believes that all cyclists over the age of 16 that use public roads in the UK should be made to get road insurance for their cycles."

why its the cars that dont see the bikes not the other way round

Im a avid push biker, go everywhere on mine, used to compeat in off road mountain biking years ago, i love them, been hit a few times by cars tho because cars just dont see you as a threat, they see you as...yeah im bigger than you i'll just pull out, i was hit badly last year and i was in a bloody cycle lane! guy just pulled straight out the junction, there was no cars on the road so saw no need to slow down and stop so just pulled out as i was going along the cycle lane that went across the bottom of the junction, broke my pelvic bone as well as a few minor injuries, and then had the balls to get out his car and demand i paid for the damage while i was still laid on the floor

Torquay

"Strongly believes that all cyclists over the age of 16 that use public roads in the UK should be made to get road insurance for their cycles.

Im a avid push biker, go everywhere on mine, used to compeat in off road mountain biking years ago, i love them, been hit a few times by cars tho because cars just dont see you as a threat, they see you as...yeah im bigger than you i'll just pull out, i was hit badly last year and i was in a bloody cycle lane! guy just pulled straight out the junction, there was no cars on the road so saw no need to slow down and stop so just pulled out as i was going along the cycle lane that went across the bottom of the junction, broke my pelvic bone as well as a few minor injuries, and then had the balls to get out his car and demand i paid for the damage while i was still laid on the floor "

Like everything in life it works both ways, I hit a cylist who ignored a red traffic light, damages to my car cost Six hundred pounds.

The fact that the cyclist had no insurance meant that I incurred costs that the cyclist didn't.

If it had been me that jumped the red light he would have been able to claim against my insurance for his (minor) injuries.

Same with horses as far as I am concerned, we have had damage to a car by a horse ridden by a totally inexperienced rider.

When they first introduced cycle lanes they should have also looked into compulsory cycle insurance to protect cyclists and motorists alike.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I`m another one who while I`ve got respect for ALL other road users, I do believe that cyclists and horse riders should be enforced to have insurance while on the roads too. There does seem to be a few cyclists who are under the impression that a cycle is a mere extension of their legs and they can therefore ride anywhere, the wrong way up one way streets etc. etc. I also come across horses that you can see that they shouldn`t be on the roads either. Above all, the thing I`d like to see banned is cycle time trials and races held on open roads. They used to be held through my way and it would be nothing to round a corner and be met by three cyclists side by side and all intent on passing each other. The dirty looks I got by stopping and making them pass both sides of me! I am talking about narrow country lanes here mind.

Right! Thats the rant over! Sorry to the OP for stringing the highjack out a bit more

"Ooo, my bike is Dahon Jetstream XP with front and back suspension, and I take it camping with me with the pooch too! "

Great to hear from you all. I started this thread because I got another hello from a fellow moutain biker (Booby Man) this morning and I thought - 'There are lots of us on here'

I think the Dahon bikes are quite posh and probably fold up too - so Nice One Pearl! (my Santa Cruz has back suspension too) I ride mainly off road in the New Forest (I'm about 10 minutes drive away). I'm just recovering from a separated shoulder which I got by crashing in Wales last October. In the last 2 weeks I've had my first bike rides for 4 months and I'm really happy to be back in the saddle again.

Tim x

"Strongly believes that all cyclists over the age of 16 that use public roads in the UK should be made to get road insurance for their cycles.

Im a avid push biker, go everywhere on mine, used to compeat in off road mountain biking years ago, i love them, been hit a few times by cars tho because cars just dont see you as a threat, they see you as...yeah im bigger than you i'll just pull out, i was hit badly last year and i was in a bloody cycle lane! guy just pulled straight out the junction, there was no cars on the road so saw no need to slow down and stop so just pulled out as i was going along the cycle lane that went across the bottom of the junction, broke my pelvic bone as well as a few minor injuries, and then had the balls to get out his car and demand i paid for the damage while i was still laid on the floor

Like everything in life it works both ways, I hit a cylist who ignored a red traffic light, damages to my car cost Six hundred pounds.

The fact that the cyclist had no insurance meant that I incurred costs that the cyclist didn't.

If it had been me that jumped the red light he would have been able to claim against my insurance for his (minor) injuries.

Same with horses as far as I am concerned, we have had damage to a car by a horse ridden by a totally inexperienced rider.

When they first introduced cycle lanes they should have also looked into compulsory cycle insurance to protect cyclists and motorists alike."

I suppose its a hard one because bikes dont have to use the road, so if they made them get insured if riding on the road they would just use the pavments, so not sure how the law would stand on that one

Torquay

When they first introduced cycle lanes they should have also looked into compulsory cycle insurance to protect cyclists and motorists alike.

I suppose its a hard one because bikes dont have to use the road, so if they made them get insured if riding on the road they would just use the pavments, so not sure how the law would stand on that one"

Actually that is already covered by the law that atates that cyclists are already prohibited from cycling on the pavement....

By *ara_and_MJCouple  over a year ago

rochdale

"Strongly believes that all cyclists over the age of 16 that use public roads in the UK should be made to get road insurance for their cycles."

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Bloody_cyclists

Item 2 on this page may be of some interest to you. I do have some sympathy for the idea of compulsory insurance but i can't really see how it would be enforcable in law. Insurance in vehicles is tied into the license and the VED. Cylists aren't currently required to be licensed and cyclists pay the same VED as a band A vehicle - i.e. nothing (based on emissions.)

You may also be interested in the views of this chap, a barrister, and keen cyclist who has some startling statistics about the car culture Vs cycling.

http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.com/2009/11/cycling-against-car-culture.html

I would like to see more prosecutions of cyclists who break the rules but to be honest, there are so many drivers out there doing the same with far more lethal vehicles that cyles that it is obviously a very low priority for the police.

Not a justification for bad cycling, but i can see how it goes unpunished.

rochdale

"It’s weird (this being a swingers forum etc.) but I’ve had several friendly hello messages from fellow bikers, so I’d like to say Hello to all the cyclists on here. Good to know that we get everywhere!

"

Anyway - Hi LT!

here! here! well said, after recently forking out over £600 to repair car damage damage caused by a cyclist

rochdale

here! here! well said, after recently forking out over £600 to repair car damage damage caused by a cyclist"

Was the incident reported to the police?

here! here! well said, after recently forking out over £600 to repair car damage damage caused by a cyclist

Was the incident reported to the police?

"

And the point of this would be? apart to get a crime number to foward to "my" insurance company!

Torquay

In my incident the police were called because the cyclist suffered a minor injury, they never liked it when I insisted on the cyclist being breathylsed too when they made me blow into the bag...

Even though the cyclist had ignored a red light and I had three witnesses, including an off duty police officer, the cyclist was never prosecuted and the matter was deemed to be civil....and no, I never got a penny for the damage to my car.

rochdale

Just wondering that's all.

If you didn't report it to the police then nowt will be done. You say the cyclist caused the damage but for all we know you may have - as we didn't witness the incident we have only your word y'see.

There are reportedly over 1.5 million uninsured vehicles on the road in the UK - would you agree that these are more of a threat to life than uninsured cyclists? (especially as cyclists are not required to be insured).

For what it's worth i have insurance through the CTC as well as public liability through my household insurance.

At the last count approx. 79% of reported motorist V cycle incidents the motorist was found to be at fault - if no one reports incidents like yours then the figures won't change and vehicle insurance will continue to be weighed upon the driver.

rochdale

"In my incident the police were called because the cyclist suffered a minor injury, they never liked it when I insisted on the cyclist being breathylsed too when they made me blow into the bag...

Even though the cyclist had ignored a red light and I had three witnesses, including an off duty police officer, the cyclist was never prosecuted and the matter was deemed to be civil....and no, I never got a penny for the damage to my car."

Unfortunately if there is no injury, or a minor one then the police will often call it a civil matter and not take it further.

This has been my experience on three occasions, only asking the driver (who admitted fault) to reimburse me for the damage to my bike.

I suppose if no one admits fault at the scene (as insurance Co's tell you not to) then the police will simply refer it to the insurance companies. As the cyclist is not legally required to be insured then there is little more they are inclined to do.

In my cases they were not interested when i was knocked off by a driver breaking the law even when i gave the reg.No and had witnesses.

C'est la vie

"Just wondering that's all.

If you didn't report it to the police then nowt will be done. You say the cyclist caused the damage but for all we know you may have - as we didn't witness the incident we have only your word y'see.

There are reportedly over 1.5 million uninsured vehicles on the road in the UK - would you agree that these are more of a threat to life than uninsured cyclists? (especially as cyclists are not required to be insured).

For what it's worth i have insurance through the CTC as well as public liability through my household insurance.

At the last count approx. 79% of reported motorist V cycle incidents the motorist was found to be at fault - if no one reports incidents like yours then the figures won't change and vehicle insurance will continue to be weighed upon the driver.

"

My car was parked up in a supermarket car park when a cyclist with apparently no brakes ran straight into the side of it witnessed by atleast 4 on lookers! why on earth would i make up such a story? anyway still left me to pay for the damage! end off...

rochdale

"Just wondering that's all.

My car was parked up in a supermarket car park when a cyclist with apparently no brakes ran straight into the side of it witnessed by atleast 4 on lookers! why on earth would i make up such a story? anyway still left me to pay for the damage! end off..."

Ouch - extremely unfortunate, but how is it different from your car being swiped by an uninsured driver or one that simply drives off?

That happens pretty much everyday too - do we demonise all drivers because of the actions of the selfish?

"It’s weird (this being a swingers forum etc.) but I’ve had several friendly hello messages from fellow bikers, so I’d like to say Hello to all the cyclists on here. Good to know that we get everywhere!

Anyway - Hi LT! "

Hi to you too. Good to see you standing up for the cyclist camp LOL!

rochdale

Anyway - Hi LT!

Hi to you too. Good to see you standing up for the cyclist camp LOL! "

Wonder where i fall then - have a full suss mtb, a road bike and my commuter bike!

Does give you great legs though. Went for a physical for a new job on friday - apparently my lung capacity is 111% of what the ideal is for my age/height!

Torquay

Without a doubt cycling is very good for you healthwise

rochdale

"Without a doubt cycling is very good for you healthwise"

It is, it's a pity it is seen as so dangerous that so many people won't take it up. It's not really that dangerous (from statistics apparently) plus its a great way for all the family to exercise together.

Love seeing kids out on their bikes

rochdale

"Without a doubt cycling is very good for you healthwise"

It is, it's a pity it is seen as so dangerous that so many people won't take it up. It's not really that dangerous (from statistics apparently) plus its a great way for all the family to exercise together.

Love seeing kids out on their bikes

I know a push bike can do things to your balls if you ride a lot so i perfer my Diversion 900

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

"I know a push bike can do things to your balls if you ride a lot so i perfer my Diversion 900 "

Actually that can be true!

I went to the docs worried about a numb & heavy feeling in my groin - all pointers to testicular cancer so i was a bit worried to say the least!

Doc had a look and asked me if i did any sport, told him cycling and he said i had some scar tissue around the nerves between testes & anus. Asked him the cure & he said "buy another saddle!"

Shows the importance of getting the right fit i suppose!

» Add a new message to this topic