FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Benefit Street

Benefit Street

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Has anybody been watching this and if so what are your _iews

Me personally think that white Dee is a piece of work

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Not been watching it. The agenda from the offset appeared to be to demonise the poor.

"Not been watching it. The agenda from the offset appeared to be to demonise the poor."

I don't think that's the case, but they really ain't doing themselves any favours, complaining that they can't afford food and rent, yet they all smoke and drink constantly

"Not been watching it. The agenda from the offset appeared to be to demonise the poor."

Think they do that themselves dont they?

And the above 2 posts pretty much proove my point.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

dont hate the poor and disenfranchised

hate those who keep them there

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"dont hate the poor and disenfranchised

hate those who keep them there "

Don't vote Tory then.

I don't hate them, I'm just saying that they don't help themselves.

I do think this has been aired in this manner to raise support from the general public for the implementation of the scheduled benefit cuts

Ps White Dee stole 15k from a charity she was involved with, so she's not that poor

By *extoysareusCouple  over a year ago

kinky heaven

Just saw a Facebook photo of downing st changed to benefit st.

Which is more apt

Yes! have you seen the signs they are putting up around London about the MP's who have been cheating the system

"I don't hate them, I'm just saying that they don't help themselves.

I do think this has been aired in this manner to raise support from the general public for the implementation of the scheduled benefit cuts

Ps White Dee stole 15k from a charity she was involved with, so she's not that poor"

kinky heaven

"Not been watching it. The agenda from the offset appeared to be to demonise the poor.

Think they do that themselves dont they?"

All in the name of TV.

people think reality tv is some fly on the wall program

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

No desire to watch it.

Not inclined to add to the negatives dished to some of the poorest, or the excuses from some who abuse it.

"Not been watching it. The agenda from the offset appeared to be to demonise the poor.

Think they do that themselves dont they?

All in the name of TV.

people think reality tv is some fly on the wall program"

There are people like that there always have been. we dont need a television program to tell us do we, not realy.

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

when I was little we had families like this took no pride in the houses cos our street was bad

"Has anybody been watching this and if so what are your _iews

Me personally think that white Dee is a piece of work"

These types of programmes will always stir up strong feeling. Personally, it just makes me realise how fortunate most of us are. I don't feel anything but pity for a lot of these people. They are in a situation that is spiralling out of control, and you get the impression that most have given up.

Her tits are well big and she dosnt wear a bra too!

By *ranny SueTV/TS  over a year ago

folkestone

I have lived in Spain for many years and only returned in the last two years. What is blatantly obvious in this country is that there are not any poor people .

Benefits Street is typical of areas in any town or city. Can any of the occupants be classed as poor? Of course not because they have tattoos, they drink, they smoke...all these activities cost a lot of money. They enjoy their rents paid, free schools, free health care, food banks. None of these people understand the definition of the word 'poor' . they all need a kick up the backside and made to work.

kinky heaven

"I have lived in Spain for many years and only returned in the last two years. What is blatantly obvious in this country is that there are not any poor people .

Benefits Street is typical of areas in any town or city. Can any of the occupants be classed as poor? Of course not because they have tattoos, they drink, they smoke...all these activities cost a lot of money. They enjoy their rents paid, free schools, free health care, food banks. None of these people understand the definition of the word 'poor' . they all need a kick up the backside and made to work."

I think its about benefits and not being poor and I would say have you been living under a rock the same time

By *imjohnCouple  over a year ago

Clacton on sea, Essex

By *ubble troubleCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

Actual benefits cheats are immensely annoying but the amount of money they cost taxpayers is dwarfed by the amount a) paid out in error by the government and b) complex aggressive tax avoidance by multinationals.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I haven't been watching it and wouldn't want it. It's government propaganda designed to instill hate and I see more than enough of that.

Where are the programmes about the man who died recently in a freezing cold flat having been left with no money at all for 14 WEEKS due to a DWP mistake, and the numerous similar cases?

*wouldn't watch it

Never judge a person till you have walked a mile in there shoes

this is just blatant propaganda by the goverment and channel4 trying too look edgy

"I haven't been watching it and wouldn't want it. It's government propaganda designed to instill hate and I see more than enough of that.

Where are the programmes about the man who died recently in a freezing cold flat having been left with no money at all for 14 WEEKS due to a DWP mistake, and the numerous similar cases?"

It's government propaganda to eventually make all people on benefits live in certain undesirable areas , and quite rightly so. I have seen some people in my travels that ate on benefits , and have a house paid for by housing benefit that has a bigger garden/ drive and even rooms than mine which I pay for . I also see some people on benefits that get given a free car, yes a brand new free car every 3 years .

I think America has whole areas, of low income housing and that is what the government is trying to do in this country

I did read in the sun at the weekend that some benefit scrounger was complaining that they could not afford 4 bottles of vodka a week , and now could only afford 1

When you look at the majority of people on benefits have had their benefits capped at £500 per week and compare these with people who take shitty jobs in the fast food injury with earnings of about £280-00 per week , it does not seem fair to me.

But most importantly there are those that genuinely want to work and they are being held back by the governments portrayal of benefits and of the tv portrayals of benefits street and benefit claimants and I can see their point , why work when you can get it for free.

carrbrook stalybridge

hate those who keep them there

Don't vote Tory then."

never have & never will

It's government propaganda to eventually make all people on benefits live in certain undesirable areas , and quite rightly so. I have seen some people in my travels that ate on benefits , and have a house paid for by housing benefit that has a bigger garden/ drive and even rooms than mine which I pay for . I also see some people on benefits that get given a free car, yes a brand new free car every 3 years .

I think America has whole areas, of low income housing and that is what the government is trying to do in this country

I did read in the sun at the weekend that some benefit scrounger was complaining that they could not afford 4 bottles of vodka a week , and now could only afford 1

When you look at the majority of people on benefits have had their benefits capped at £500 per week and compare these with people who take shitty jobs in the fast food injury with earnings of about £280-00 per week , it does not seem fair to me.

But most importantly there are those that genuinely want to work and they are being held back by the governments portrayal of benefits and of the tv portrayals of benefits street and benefit claimants and I can see their point , why work when you can get it for free.

"

I think that the production of such TV programmes should be banned. The point made earlier about demonising the poor is quite correct and having seen a trailer I made it a point not to watch such TV trash. In essence such programmes are made for next to nothing, shown at prime time to maximise advertising revenue and add little value to the debate on the growing financial divide in our society. Perhaps a boycott on _iewing such shock provoking shows might make TV executives think about commissioning such rubbish.

By *andy_tomMan  over a year ago

wolverhampton

least we dont forget this goverment a few years ago abolished the minimum wage and some jobs where on the job center bords at just £1 an hour. . they only look after the rich and there self.

By *icebloke551Man  over a year ago

Kidderminster

It's not demoralising the poor it's just showing what it's like in a street in a big city and the same image in towns across the country .every one has a choice work or not work if you want a job there are jobs there .just some people choose a paid life on benefits .the whole time the programme is on has anyone seen anybody look for a job or go to the job centre !

"I have lived in Spain for many years and only returned in the last two years. What is blatantly obvious in this country is that there are not any poor people .

Benefits Street is typical of areas in any town or city. Can any of the occupants be classed as poor? Of course not because they have tattoos, they drink, they smoke...all these activities cost a lot of money. They enjoy their rents paid, free schools, free health care, food banks. None of these people understand the definition of the word 'poor' . they all need a kick up the backside and made to work."

"

least we dont forget this goverment a few years ago abolished the minimum wage and some jobs where on the job center bords at just £1 an hour. . they only look after the rich and there self. "

This government abolished the minimum wage? When was that?

"And the above 2 posts pretty much proove my point. "

Totally agree,

I not on the dole myself but I have a reason, they offered myself a 13 week course setting up my own business, which I was intrested in, I set it up the business plann got signed off so the jobcenter signed me off, no clients no cash cumin in nothing,

Yer it was hard I see y they done it and now two years on today I have a ppt with a client regarding me becoming there agent,

My opinion is it the same evreywhere no matter what you do for a living it is a struggle, even at a million quid think about at what can u spend it on nothing good in this day an age

"It's not demoralising the poor it's just showing what it's like in a street in a big city and the same image in towns across the country .every one has a choice work or not work if you want a job there are jobs there .just some people choose a paid life on benefits .the whole time the programme is on has anyone seen anybody look for a job or go to the job centre !"

They are the minority and do not accurately reflect how most people on benefits live.

"Actual benefits cheats are immensely annoying but the amount of money they cost taxpayers is dwarfed by the amount a) paid out in error by the government and b) complex aggressive tax avoidance by multinationals."

This

"

So you read it in the Sun did you? It must be true.

These people with the new cars? Wouldn't be people who legitimately qualify for mobility allowances by any chance?!

What bile-filled post. Gave me indigestion over my breakfast table.

i have stopped watching it and not because its rubbish or that it reflects badly on the people who are on benefits in general.

i have stopped watching it because we are making celebrities out of these hangers on.

i live in birmingham and have worked in that area on more than one occasion and when you have packs of kids aged between 6-15 walking the streets with bull terriers or rottweilers at 3 in the morning on a school night then there are fundamental issues at play and these issues are not the governments making (whatever party is in) the issues lie firmly at the doors of the parents.

there seems to be a culture in this country of blaming everybody else for your own mistakes in life, if people want to advance themselves in life they have plenty of oppurtunities to do so with free education up to and including university and if they are not academically inclined then there are free courses at schools and colleges in all the trades.

it just means they have to do what 95 % of this country has always done which is show commitment and work hard to better oneself.

wolverhampton

"

least we dont forget this goverment a few years ago abolished the minimum wage and some jobs where on the job center bords at just £1 an hour. . they only look after the rich and there self.

This government abolished the

minimum wage? When was that?"

it was a few years ago but beleave me they did abollish the minimum wage and there where jobs advertised at just £1 an hour. so you can see how they looked after the poorest people. made them worse off .the minimum wage then was about £3 an hour. ... making the rich richer and the poor poorer. .

"

minimum wage? When was that?

it was a few years ago but beleave me they did abollish the minimum wage and there where jobs advertised at just £1 an hour. so you can see how they looked after the poorest people. made them worse off .the minimum wage then was about £3 an hour. ... making the rich richer and the poor poorer. .

"

I am an employer. I can confirm the minimum wage is in place. Not to say that any of ours are!

wolverhampton

and forget the pole tax .

"i have stopped watching it and not because its rubbish or that it reflects badly on the people who are on benefits in general.

i have stopped watching it because we are making celebrities out of these hangers on.

i live in birmingham and have worked in that area on more than one occasion and when you have packs of kids aged between 6-15 walking the streets with bull terriers or rottweilers at 3 in the morning on a school night then there are fundamental issues at play and these issues are not the governments making (whatever party is in) the issues lie firmly at the doors of the parents.

there seems to be a culture in this country of blaming everybody else for your own mistakes in life, if people want to advance themselves in life they have plenty of oppurtunities to do so with free education up to and including university and if they are not academically inclined then there are free courses at schools and colleges in all the trades.

it just means they have to do what 95 % of this country has always done which is show commitment and work hard to better oneself."

Free education up to and including university? What planet are you on? Try £9000 fees! Not so free.

There are also currently lots of graduates out of work and "over-qualified" for many of the jobs available!

And that's without counting people who can't work due to ill health who would love to recover and get back to work but who aren't getting the treatment they need due to cuts in the NHS.

Remember please that a lot of people on benefits do work, but don't make a living wage, and many more did work and paid NI for this system which is supposed to support and help them now. Instead they are left in poverty and portrayed as scroungers and the scum of the earth.

And, as seen here, people are falling for it.

We have mixed feelings on this one .

The show certainly doesn't demonise the poor .

The community spirit is admirable .

The sheer lack of intelligence is incredible at times , then you stop and realise it's not their fault .

It is real , and a reflection of what goes on .

It is all just a big bag of bollocks, the production staff are buying them drink and fags so they sit out on the streets getting pissed and acting cunts,

Now I'm not saying that the aren't taking the piss out of the system but channel 4 are over exaggerating it for the program,

The ones that annoy me are the young couple that scammed 15000 pound in benefits and are now complaining that they have to pay it back, they should be in jail

It is all just a big bag of bollocks, the production staff are buying them drink and fags so they sit out on the streets getting pissed and acting cunts,

Now I'm not saying that the aren't taking the piss out of the system but channel 4 are over exaggerating it for the program,

The ones that annoy me are the young couple that scammed 15000 pound in benefits and are now complaining that they have to pay it back, they should be in jail

kinky heaven

The sheer lack of intelligence is incredible at times , then you stop and realise it's not their fault .

"

Well there are a couple there with learning disabilities.

The show didn't tell that to the people

For those who knock the relatively easy targets of peoiple who live on 'Benefits Street', would you want to swap places with them?

Meanwhile multi millionaires avoid paying tax 'legally'.

"

It's a reflection of what goes on in a minority of cases. It is not representative of most benefit claimants.

And don't forget that by far the largest chunk of the welfare budget - something like one third - goes on pensions. Those scrounging old people! Some of them smoke and have the occasional sherry, you know!

By *_nny BonesMan  over a year ago

a block away from heaven

I must say that the show is very biased focussing on those that make good TV. There have ben some real eye opening moments and some good ones at that. I liked seeing the man who was selling useful things door to door. He even donated to some of the families with children who were struggling. Some of the characters are idiots though. I hope that they take some time to watch themselves. A man who wants to go on TV and demonstrate how to rob using bags and foil shows that there is a real problem with society.

It's a reflection of what goes on in a minority of cases. It is not representative of most benefit claimants.

And don't forget that by far the largest chunk of the welfare budget - something like one third - goes on pensions. Those scrounging old people! Some of them smoke and have the occasional sherry, you know! "

Why the cheeky buggers. We need OAP wardens to patrol and stop this

By *ightboy69Man  over a year ago

Torquay

Agreed !

By *ustyBrunette35Couple  over a year ago

birmingham

I didn't watch it. There was a rather good NCIS on one of the other channels.

Was it about people who are given free money and then complaining that they aren't given enough free money and want some more?

By *adyGardenWoman  over a year ago

LONDON (se)

I would like to say that the benefits system is completely wrong. I am currently signed off sick but looking forward to getting my life back and going back to work. I do get however why people get stuck or even don't want to leave the system. I am now financially better off than when I was working which I think is so so very wrong. People on benefit in my opinion are not poor. If I was of the sort to have no self worth I would do what they do and not work for as long as I possibly could. No wonder people are having more kids to avoid going back to work.

Me however I am looking forward to going back to the working world

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

Sensationalized tripe,

made more with _iewing figures in mind,rather than portraying any real facts.

As said above,multi national companies screw the country for billions,

and I've yet to see a tv series based on them.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

There was a similar, but not quite so blatant programme aired by the BBC last year called 'People like Us'. It was supposed to be about the life of people living in Harpurhey. I live less than a mile from where it was filmed and use Harpurhey shopping centre all the time it is nothing like it was portrayed! I am sure that it is just the same with 'benifits street'. But when you have a government that is intent on increasing the divide between the rich and poor and reinforcing such divides by restricting social mobility through cuts to education, healthcare and justice for the poor we can expect a lot more black propaganda of this type.

By *ricky_DickyMan  over a year ago

Mirfield

"

"

A few years ago? how many is a few, try quite some time. The job center stopped using boards an cards at least 10 year ago to my knowledge it's all computers an online these days. I don't recall the minimum wage being scrapped, not to say it didn't happen but the minimum wage has been re-instated

Mirfield

"The ones that annoy me are the young couple that scammed 15000 pound in benefits and are now complaining that they have to pay it back, they should be in jail"

What!! are they not costing taxpayers enough already in what they get in benefits without the approximate 40K a year per individual to lock em up. Is it not better the DWP claw back the money out of their benefits?

"The ones that annoy me are the young couple that scammed 15000 pound in benefits and are now complaining that they have to pay it back, they should be in jail

What!! are they not costing taxpayers enough already in what they get in benefits without the approximate 40K a year per individual to lock em up. Is it not better the DWP claw back the money out of their benefits?

"

But they wouldn't be getting the benefit if they were in jail, they could also claim it back off them when the were released and went back on to benefits,

If I has a working man conned 15000 pounds be it off the social or somewhere else I would have criminal charges brought against me not ordered to pay it back out of my wage and let on my merry way

Mirfield

"The ones that annoy me are the young couple that scammed 15000 pound in benefits and are now complaining that they have to pay it back, they should be in jail

But they wouldn't be getting the benefit if they were in jail, they could also claim it back off them when the were released and went back on to benefits,

If I has a working man conned 15000 pounds be it off the social or somewhere else I would have criminal charges brought against me not ordered to pay it back out of my wage and let on my merry way"

Still costs more to put some one in prison than it does to pay them benefits an who pays for it?

Cost shouldn't be an issue when it comes to the law, if someone breaks the law they should be prosecuted and if found guilty punished, be that a custodial sentence or community service or whatever is deemed fit for there crime

Glasgow

"...................

"

The community spirit is vodka.

"...................

The community spirit is vodka."

And hooky at that!

Why doesn't the government have a state sponsored sterilisation scheme paying all volunteers £ 10,000 to be sterilised. It's a good sum of money. It's a lot cheaper than endless rising benefit bill for hundreds and hundred of children that are just made to keep the benefits rolling in and would give that person a chance to make a fresh start in life or if they want piss it up the wall for the next 6 months then fine they can do that too.

This is a hypothetical idea by the way folks I'm not suggesting do it. Just wondered what peoples thoughts are.

Glasgow

"Why doesn't the government have a state sponsored sterilisation scheme paying all volunteers £ 10,000 to be sterilised. It's a good sum of money. It's a lot cheaper than endless rising benefit bill for hundreds and hundred of children that are just made to keep the benefits rolling in and would give that person a chance to make a fresh start in life or if they want piss it up the wall for the next 6 months then fine they can do that too.

This is a hypothetical idea by the way folks I'm not suggesting do it. Just wondered what peoples thoughts are.

"

Why stop at sterilisation? Why not go the whole hog and employ some of the servicemen HMG is about to make redundant to execute those not deemed worthy of living amongst us normal people?

This is a hypothetical idea by the way folks I'm not suggesting we do it. I don't really give a monkey's what peoples thoughts are.

At the beginning of the programme it states they were there for a year. There is going to be a helluva lot of footage cut out that doesn't make entertaining _iewing. That will include going to the job centre. So if anyone thinks all these people are not doing something that is mandatory, I say say: come on think of what the bigger picture truly is.

It was nice to see that girl (aspiring model) was doing her utmost to (a) fulfil her dreams and (b) get a job, considering her children are so young. She was also very calm when that customer practically accused her of overcharging her the previous day.

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

"...................

The community spirit is vodka."

and lol

am I the only one that likes fun guy?

Glasgow

"...................

and lol

am I the only one that likes fun guy?"

I've not seen enough to be able to tell but if I watch more, maybe my interest will mushroom.

Well there are a couple there with learning disabilities.

The show didn't tell that to the people "

Yes, and most of the others were a bit stupid. they annoyed me a bit the way they were feeling sorry for themselves when a lot of their problems were of their own making. i wouldnt say they were bad people just slightly iritating.

"Why doesn't the government have a state sponsored sterilisation scheme paying all volunteers £ 10,000 to be sterilised. It's a good sum of money. It's a lot cheaper than endless rising benefit bill for hundreds and hundred of children that are just made to keep the benefits rolling in and would give that person a chance to make a fresh start in life or if they want piss it up the wall for the next 6 months then fine they can do that too.

"

Maybe we could start with the governement members themselves, im sure this country would be far better off without the sanctimonius money grabbing ,self serving arsoles at the top of the pile .....

"

As someone who has never wanted kids I would be delighted to be sterilised and be paid a large lump sum of money.

I say we just cull those with below average IQs.

It's just a suggestion, I'm not saying we should do it. But we so should!

A massive load of crap! Avoided watching it from day one because it makes me feel ashamed to be on the dole due to living on my own with my 2yo. Its difficult yeah but if they had their priorities right they wouldnt smoke or drink and if they were as skint they'd go without so their kids would have! If I wasnt lucky enough to have my sons dads help I would have been starving and freezing so my wee dude would have food and enough clothes to keep him warm! They show the publisised version of it and over exaggerate about 100x they dont show the side where you really have to skrimp and struggle for a hot meal at nights!

Maybe we could start with the governement members themselves, im sure this country would be far better off without the sanctimonius money grabbing ,self serving arsoles at the top of the pile ....."

Thank goodness we live in a democracy then eh as we all get our chance to boot them out or keep them in if we want. give me this lot any day compared with the sanctimonious, money squandering, self serving arseholes that were in power before

Yep.

Tax evasion street doesn't have the same ring to it, I guess.

There are going to be naughty people, both rich and poor who abuse the system. This is a simply a way of taking more off the people who genuinely need it by showing some "bad apples" so to speak.

Spot on

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"There was a similar, but not quite so blatant programme aired by the BBC last year called 'People like Us'. It was supposed to be about the life of people living in Harpurhey. I live less than a mile from where it was filmed and use Harpurhey shopping centre all the time it is nothing like it was portrayed! I am sure that it is just the same with 'benifits street'. But when you have a government that is intent on increasing the divide between the rich and poor and reinforcing such divides by restricting social mobility through cuts to education, healthcare and justice for the poor we can expect a lot more black propaganda of this type."

I have relatives in Harpurhey. It is like that. I was there again last Saturday.

King's Crustacean

"...................

and lol

What's not to like ?

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 28/01/14 14:05:48]

"...................

and lol

I feel sorry for him he has lots of problems.

King's Crustacean

There are frequently programmes about robbing bastard bankers and fiddling politicians.

I've never seen a thread calling it lying, misrepresentation or propaganda.

Sometimes bias can shine right into your eyes.

I found that comment funny, Granny!

I agree with an earlier post. This is simply a "divide and conquer" ploy to have us at each other's throats while government lays plans to the detriment of us all. It will leave the select few better off and have the rest of us blaming each other.

wolverhampton

"

never the less it was this government that abolished the minimum wage and that's a fact.

A few years ago? how many is a few, try quite some time. The job center stopped using boards an cards at least 10 year ago to my knowledge it's all computers an online these days. I don't recall the minimum wage being scrapped, not to say it didn't happen but the minimum wage has been re-instated "

Clacton on sea, Essex

"A massive load of crap! Avoided watching it from day one because it makes me feel ashamed to be on the dole due to living on my own with my 2yo. Its difficult yeah but if they had their priorities right they wouldnt smoke or drink and if they were as skint they'd go without so their kids would have! If I wasnt lucky enough to have my sons dads help I would have been starving and freezing so my wee dude would have food and enough clothes to keep him warm! They show the publisised version of it and over exaggerate about 100x they dont show the side where you really have to skrimp and struggle for a hot meal at nights! "

Why stop at sterilisation? Why not go the whole hog and employ some of the servicemen HMG is about to make redundant to execute those not deemed worthy of living amongst us normal people?

This is a hypothetical idea by the way folks I'm not suggesting we do it. I don't really give a monkey's what peoples thoughts are."

No actually you are the one who is a bit like that because you are so dismissive of any point of _iew contrary to your own.

Let's just suppose there was a right to do it. Don't you think there would be some people for it and some people agin it who would gladly take the opportunity for whatever reason to take the money. I personally took the decision to have the snip many years ago. I decided having 2 children was all I could afford.

They've turned into good lads who have many differing opinions to my own , many of them very radical and hard for me to accept, but they are prepared to have a discussion about things and not denigrate and shout people down with hostility. This is where everything is going wrong. people just grandstand and pontificate without actually doing anything about anything. At least I'll give a beggar a fiver now and again. I don't earn a fortune but at least I can appreciate how lucky I am and make someone happy for a few split seconds.

Rant over. I just get fed up of people jumping down your throat whenever you bring up something for discussion and trying to bully you into their own point of _iew.

LONDON (se)

"

It isn't that easy to get sterilised. Took me years and a new GP to get mine done. No one wanted to do it as I was only 31 and deemed too young. I knew my own mind and body and was adamant I didn't want more after numerous miscarriages.

So pretty sure something like this would never work

[Removed by poster at 28/01/14 15:22:40]

I completely agree with those posts above saying this program demonises the poor. We live in a society where the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer. I am sickened by the anti benefit rhetoric displayed in the red tops and the Unswaying support they give the coalition. Wake up people. This show was used to entertain and not help these people. Yes they drink and smoke and can't afford to feed their kids. They need education and support not vilification. We are now in a situation where people are using food banks for the first time since the war. It's horrific. Life isn't getting better. The deficit isn't getting smaller. Unemployment is down as people are in part time work or zero hours contracts and are now poorer. Young people have less opportunity than ever unless their parents are rich. Instead of moaning about Benefit Street we should be taking to our streets and letting David Cameron know how we feel. The apathy is this country sickens me far more than anything I've seen from white D and her neighbours. Oh and given that I work in TV I really wouldn't believe all you see. Or all you read in the Daily Mail. Rant over.

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

"There are frequently programmes about robbing bastard bankers and fiddling politicians.

I've never seen a thread calling it lying, misrepresentation or propaganda.

Sometimes bias can shine right into your eyes. "

Although never a full tv series.

They could call it,

wankers on bankers street.

One street,could never be truly representative of all people on benefits.

Unless you're using blinkers,to enhance your tunnel vision.

Benefit CHEATS,and conniving bankers,should all be made to pay their way.

Clacton on sea, Essex

"I completely agree with those posts above saying this program demonises the poor. We live in a society where the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer. I am sickened by the anti benefit rhetoric displayed in the red tops and the Unswaying support they give the coalition. Wake up people. This show was used to entertain and not help these people. Yes they drink and smoke and can't afford to feed their kids. They need education and support not vilification. We are now in a situation where people are using food banks for the first time since the war. It's horrific. Life isn't getting better. The deficit isn't getting smaller. Unemployment is down as people are in part time work or zero hours contracts and are now poorer. Young people have less opportunity than ever unless their parents are rich. Instead of moaning about Benefit Street we should be taking to our streets and letting David Cameron know how we feel. The apathy is this country sickens me far more than anything I've seen from white D and her neighbours. Oh and given that I work in TV I really wouldn't believe all you see. Or all you read in the Daily Mail. Rant over. "

Spot on

"I completely agree with those posts above saying this program demonises the poor. We live in a society where the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer. I am sickened by the anti benefit rhetoric displayed in the red tops and the Unswaying support they give the coalition. Wake up people. This show was used to entertain and not help these people. Yes they drink and smoke and can't afford to feed their kids. They need education and support not vilification. We are now in a situation where people are using food banks for the first time since the war. It's horrific. Life isn't getting better. The deficit isn't getting smaller. Unemployment is down as people are in part time work or zero hours contracts and are now poorer. Young people have less opportunity than ever unless their parents are rich. Instead of moaning about Benefit Street we should be taking to our streets and letting David Cameron know how we feel. The apathy is this country sickens me far more than anything I've seen from white D and her neighbours. Oh and given that I work in TV I really wouldn't believe all you see. Or all you read in the Daily Mail. Rant over. "

Well said

All this talk of sterilisation.

Considering how the government feels about the lower classes and how the "elite" could buy their way out of consideration, who would this effect and where would you stop?

The system isn't broken, it was built this way...

It isn't that easy to get sterilised. Took me years and a new GP to get mine done. No one wanted to do it as I was only 31 and deemed too young. I knew my own mind and body and was adamant I didn't want more after numerous miscarriages.

So pretty sure something like this would never work"

Thanks for that. I didn't know that was the case.

Debates/rants like this always remind me (rightly or wrongly) of this quote.

When the Nazis came for the communists,

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,

I remained silent;

I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,

I did not speak out;

I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,

I remained silent;

I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,

there was no one left to speak out...

Add on the following....

When they came for those on benefits,

I remained silent,

I wasnt on benefits...........

Glasgow

"....

I say we just cull those with below average IQs.

It's just a suggestion, I'm not saying we should do it. But we so should! "

It would certainly reduce the volume of Internet traffic.

"i have stopped watching it and not because its rubbish or that it reflects badly on the people who are on benefits in general.

it just means they have to do what 95 % of this country has always done which is show commitment and work hard to better oneself.

Free education up to and including university? What planet are you on? Try £9000 fees! Not so free.

There are also currently lots of graduates out of work and "over-qualified" for many of the jobs available! "

the planet im on is called earth and you do not pay for your university education until you earning above a certain threshold and even then its incremental so there is no need to be rude in your reply however the point i was trying to make is that only these people can help themselves by working hard at school gaining good qualifications that will then give them further oppurtunities

my point is no government or council can do it for you however its easier to blame someone else for your own shortcomings

these times are not as hard as in the 80's during the miners strike etc and leaving school and going on to a yts scheme at £25 a week because most of the apprenticeships had been cut however i think peoples mindsets are different

"I would like to say that the benefits system is completely wrong. I am currently signed off sick but looking forward to getting my life back and going back to work. I do get however why people get stuck or even don't want to leave the system. I am now financially better off than when I was working which I think is so so very wrong. People on benefit in my opinion are not poor. If I was of the sort to have no self worth I would do what they do and not work for as long as I possibly could. No wonder people are having more kids to avoid going back to work.

Me however I am looking forward to going back to the working world"

By *ustyBrunette35Couple  over a year ago

birmingham

"Yes they drink and smoke and can't afford to feed their kids. They need education and support not vilification."

They are educated. They were intelligent enough to know that they don't need to work to be given free money. Too many of them don't want work, now the coalition is making work a better option than living on benefits by reducing how much free money these people are given. Good!

As for buying drink and fags before buying food for the kids...

LONDON (se)

There are also currently lots of graduates out of work and "over-qualified" for many of the jobs available!

the planet im on is called earth and you do not pay for your university education until you earning above a certain threshold and even then its incremental so there is no need to be rude in your reply however the point i was trying to make is that only these people can help themselves by working hard at school gaining good qualifications that will then give them further oppurtunities

my point is no government or council can do it for you however its easier to blame someone else for your own shortcomings

these times are not as hard as in the 80's during the miners strike etc and leaving school and going on to a yts scheme at £25 a week because most of the apprenticeships had been cut however i think peoples mindsets are different "

Not having to pay it back unless you earn a certain amount is not free. My daughter will be over 100k in debt by the time she starts working after uni. No point going uni if you dont expect to earn a decent above average wage. For most jobs a degree is worthless so unless your carer path can't be done without a degree higher education is fruitless

"Debates/rants like this always remind me (rightly or wrongly) of this quote.

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

I remained silent;

I did not speak out;

I remained silent;

I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,

Add on the following....

I remained silent,

"

sorry are comparing the treatment of the jews by the nazis in the 1930's and 1940's to a television programme about people on one street in birmingham.

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

I remained silent;

I did not speak out;

I remained silent;

I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,

Add on the following....

I remained silent,

sorry are comparing the treatment of the jews by the nazis in the 1930's and 1940's to a television programme about people on one street in birmingham."

They do say that everyone is a redundancy away from benefits and as such i do not understand the hatred shown towards those receiving benefits. All that programme has shown is that "some" people choose to live that way. The majority however dont and can be in receipt of benefits for many many reasons. Why tar all with the same brush. ? Mob mentality is a dangerous thing....as shown in the quote in a small way.

these times are not as hard as in the 80's during the miners strike etc and leaving school and going on to a yts scheme at £25 a week because most of the apprenticeships had been cut however i think peoples mindsets are different

Not having to pay it back unless you earn a certain amount is not free. My daughter will be over 100k in debt by the time she starts working after uni. No point going uni if you dont expect to earn a decent above average wage. For most jobs a degree is worthless so unless your carer path can't be done without a degree higher education is fruitless"

i was at uni the of last year completing my masters and to my knowledge anyone on benefits was applicable for a free education.

what a lot of employers like mine are currently doing is to pay off part of the debt incurred by their staff as part of their remuneration package, this is assessed yearly during their apparisal system.

they will not pay for subjects that are not relevant to the position they are working in.

i would always encourage anyone who is academically minded to attend uni no matter what the cost.

Not having to pay it back unless you earn a certain amount is not free. My daughter will be over 100k in debt by the time she starts working after uni. No point going uni if you dont expect to earn a decent above average wage. For most jobs a degree is worthless so unless your carer path can't be done without a degree higher education is fruitless

i was at uni the of last year completing my masters and to my knowledge anyone on benefits was applicable for a free education.

what a lot of employers like mine are currently doing is to pay off part of the debt incurred by their staff as part of their remuneration package, this is assessed yearly during their apparisal system.

they will not pay for subjects that are not relevant to the position they are working in.

i would always encourage anyone who is academically minded to attend uni no matter what the cost.

"

Im actually researching courses at uni for myself and it will be very hard at my age to get to where i want to be. Some ive emailed have said they consider me to old at 51.......its gonna be tough to do what i want ,when im mobile again in a few mths

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Im actually researching courses at uni for myself and it will be very hard at my age to get to where i want to be. Some ive emailed have said they consider me to old at 51.......its gonna be tough to do what i want ,when im mobile again in a few mths "

can you not do OU whilst you are off ?, get the first year under your belt at least

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

I remained silent;

I did not speak out;

I remained silent;

I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,

Add on the following....

I remained silent,

sorry are comparing the treatment of the jews by the nazis in the 1930's and 1940's to a television programme about people on one street in birmingham.

They do say that everyone is a redundancy away from benefits and as such i do not understand the hatred shown towards those receiving benefits. All that programme has shown is that "some" people choose to live that way. The majority however dont and can be in receipt of benefits for many many reasons. Why tar all with the same brush. ? Mob mentality is a dangerous thing....as shown in the quote in a small way. "

i do not hate people on benefits.

as i have stated in my previous posts that only they can help themselves.

you can take a horse to water however you cannot make it drink.

they need to help themselves first and if that means working 10 hour days for minimum wage then so be it at least they are trying to help themselves first.

i do not like the blame it on somebody else culture that as grown in this country over recent years.

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

I remained silent;

I did not speak out;

I remained silent;

I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,

Add on the following....

I remained silent,

They do say that everyone is a redundancy away from benefits and as such i do not understand the hatred shown towards those receiving benefits. All that programme has shown is that "some" people choose to live that way. The majority however dont and can be in receipt of benefits for many many reasons. Why tar all with the same brush. ? Mob mentality is a dangerous thing....as shown in the quote in a small way.

they need to help themselves first and if that means working 10 hour days for minimum wage then so be it at least they are trying to help themselves first.

i do not like the blame it on somebody else culture that as grown in this country over recent years."

So really speaking.....the system was and is at fault and not those taking advantage of it....

I am a single parent of 2, work 30 hrs and reliant on the income related benefits I receive as I could not afford to live. This programme makes me cross as they have no pride in themselves, their surroundings, and will continue the cycles of people that will never ever work. I was on maternity leave when I became a single parent I was advised to give up work by the housing (I was being evicted from military housing) as I would be better off financially.

While ever the benefit system ensures people can live comfortably (and they can they just choose to prioritise differently to most people) it will continue and they will never learn that working gives so much more than a wage packet at the end of the month.

No someone kick my soap box away as I will rant all week!!!

Im actually researching courses at uni for myself and it will be very hard at my age to get to where i want to be. Some ive emailed have said they consider me to old at 51.......its gonna be tough to do what i want ,when im mobile again in a few mths

can you not do OU whilst you are off ?, get the first year under your belt at least"

One option im looking at

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

can you not do OU whilst you are off ?, get the first year under your belt at least

One option im looking at "

good luck

Im actually researching courses at uni for myself and it will be very hard at my age to get to where i want to be. Some ive emailed have said they consider me to old at 51.......its gonna be tough to do what i want ,when im mobile again in a few mths "

the age thing out of order as mature students are easier to teach as they want to be there and have drive and ambition to suceed

dont give up keep trying if i can help in anyway feel free to message me

Ps I ignored the advice and went back to my 18.5 hrs a week cleaning job and took all the training on offer to progress within the civil service and continue to do so!

Glasgow

".....

they need to help themselves first and if that means working 10 hour days for minimum wage then so be it at least they are trying to help themselves first........."

That rather assumes such jobs are available.

the age thing out of order as mature students are easier to teach as they want to be there and have drive and ambition to suceed

dont give up keep trying if i can help in anyway feel free to message me "

cheers

"Ps I ignored the advice and went back to my 18.5 hrs a week cleaning job and took all the training on offer to progress within the civil service and continue to do so!"

Nice one

Theres a street like this in every town and city across the uk. just a shame it had to be in birmingham

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

I remained silent;

I did not speak out;

I remained silent;

I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,

Add on the following....

I remained silent,

i do not like the blame it on somebody else culture that as grown in this country over recent years.

So really speaking.....the system was and is at fault and not those taking advantage of it....

i believe your correct as

"

i believe your correct however whenever governments try to put right those inbalances they get slaughtered for it (and i am not a tory and i do not read the daily mail) its catch 22 isnt it.

the benefits system is a safety net to catch people when they fall on hard times it is not and was never designed to be a career choice.

Just wanted to leave my _iew here, watche one episode (ep3)

Never again, I live in Birmingham and am sickened by this street being within the city I live in, the episode I watched made me want to do two things.

1, move away to a different country, emigrate as far away from a government allowing all this to go on.

2, rescue white D's daughter, she deserves so much better and just maybe if she was shown love, care and understanding she could make something of herself, she deserves better than what she's come from.

Just my thoughts and feelings, vowed not to watch another episode as I feel it encourages their fame/infamy

".....

they need to help themselves first and if that means working 10 hour days for minimum wage then so be it at least they are trying to help themselves first.........

That rather assumes such jobs are available."

i can confirm that there are jobs in birmingham either in construction retail etc you name it there is plenty of work out there.

One thing the program does prove is it takes all sorts to make a world.

One thing peeps should consider when the make their decisions next election is to decide who they think will look after the money. Well OK tories might be tight bastards that give very little away or build duck houses in their ponds but the other lot are just incompetent.

Their flagship policy was working family tax credit and what a fiasco that was. At the same time as merging HRMC and the benefits agency they brought out this crackpot benefits scheme that their workforce just didn't know how to apply the rules. Net result. Billions squandered on people that shouldn't have got it and millions now who should be getting what has been spent to prop up the likes of RBS etc etc.

I speak from experience as I've just had a written apology from them for what went off in the mid 2000s and compensation for all the hassle they've given me for chasing me for money which I never owed in the first place. Thank goodness I had the balls to stand up to them and make them realise they were totally out of order and it was their ridiculous rules that the benefits officer didn't know how to apply. So so satisfying to get one over on big brother for a change. Hurrah for someone there to at last see what I'd been saying was right and stop applying a rule that totally lacked common sense.

Glasgow

".....

they need to help themselves first and if that means working 10 hour days for minimum wage then so be it at least they are trying to help themselves first.........

i can confirm that there are jobs in birmingham either in construction retail etc you name it there is plenty of work out there."

That's not what Birmingham City Council's Jan 2014 briefing suggests.

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

Im watching; against my better judgement & at times having to switch it off & come back to it later but sometimes you just have to watch something to the end before you can decide what your lasting impression is.

My only opinion so far is have they no pride?

I mean yes some people live like that but to do it knowing the cameras are there

That bit is just lost on me.

".....

i can confirm that there are jobs in birmingham either in construction retail etc you name it there is plenty of work out there.

That's not what Birmingham City Council's Jan 2014 briefing suggests."

I agree, my girlfriend is struggling to find a job and isn't eligible for benefits, they told her she is to live off of mine

".....

I agree, my girlfriend is struggling to find a job and isn't eligible for benefits, they told her she is to live off of mine"

My wage*****

"One thing the program does prove is it takes all sorts to make a world.

One thing peeps should consider when the make their decisions next election is to decide who they think will look after the money. Well OK tories might be tight bastards that give very little away or build duck houses in their ponds but the other lot are just incompetent.

Their flagship policy was working family tax credit and what a fiasco that was. At the same time as merging HRMC and the benefits agency they brought out this crackpot benefits scheme that their workforce just didn't know how to apply the rules. Net result. Billions squandered on people that shouldn't have got it and millions now who should be getting what has been spent to prop up the likes of RBS etc etc.

I speak from experience as I've just had a written apology from them for what went off in the mid 2000s and compensation for all the hassle they've given me for chasing me for money which I never owed in the first place. Thank goodness I had the balls to stand up to them and make them realise they were totally out of order and it was their ridiculous rules that the benefits officer didn't know how to apply. So so satisfying to get one over on big brother for a change. Hurrah for someone there to at last see what I'd been saying was right and stop applying a rule that totally lacked common sense."

I wouldnt trust the tories with next doors dog shite....they would probably re package it and sell it for double the price to one of their mates.... oh hang on....they have already in the guise of ian duncan smith...he is full of shite.

".....

That's not what Birmingham City Council's Jan 2014 briefing suggests."

what about the birmingham chamber of commerce also look at areas like wolverhampton with the new jaguar plant

Right peeps let's get some facts before you judge. A LOT of people including myself who are on benefits do not want to be here. I have applied for so many jobs. Most of which haven't even bothered to say thanks but no thanks. I and loads of others are NOT like the people in that programe. I can't afford to go out and have fun. I don't have a car and I don't drink. End of day programes like that don't show the full story and don't show those of us that are living in extreme poverty. Oh and this message was sent to you from a pay as you go phone.

"Right peeps let's get some facts before you judge. A LOT of people including myself who are on benefits do not want to be here. I have applied for so many jobs. Most of which haven't even bothered to say thanks but no thanks. I and loads of others are NOT like the people in that programe. I can't afford to go out and have fun. I don't have a car and I don't drink. End of day programes like that don't show the full story and don't show those of us that are living in extreme poverty. Oh and this message was sent to you from a pay as you go phone. "

Glasgow

".....

what about the birmingham chamber of commerce also look at areas like wolverhampton with the new jaguar plant "

I can just see white Dee getting a start on the marketing team.

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

I remained silent;

I did not speak out;

I remained silent;

I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,

Add on the following....

I remained silent,

i believe your correct however whenever governments try to put right those inbalances they get slaughtered for it (and i am not a tory and i do not read the daily mail) its catch 22 isnt it.

the benefits system is a safety net to catch people when they fall on hard times it is not and was never designed to be a career choice."

When i was told to claim dla by the job center, i rang them up and asked what they needed in order for me to qualify..Doctors notes, consultant notes ,details of operations done...all the things relevent (i thought) to making a claim....

Nope..........didnt need anything at all.....Just fill in a few forms and send them off.

So basically they trust someone to give them the correct and honest info...Now we all know if this is the case, people will take advantage and knowing there is no proper follow up...can put anything they like on these forms and get paid.

Thats wrong.

If claiming something like that then hospital details, doctor details etc should accompany your claim. No doctor details..........no money. simples.

So in may cases, and in hard times. The system as it is , is allowing those less honest to take advantage. There are many simple ways to change the system without tarring the honest ones on benefits

".....

what about the birmingham chamber of commerce also look at areas like wolverhampton with the new jaguar plant

I can just see white Dee getting a start on the marketing team."

i wouldnt put her in charge of the christmas club

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

I remained silent;

I did not speak out;

I remained silent;

I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,

Add on the following....

I remained silent,

the benefits system is a safety net to catch people when they fall on hard times it is not and was never designed to be a career choice.

When i was told to claim dla by the job center, i rang them up and asked what they needed in order for me to qualify..Doctors notes, consultant notes ,details of operations done...all the things relevent (i thought) to making a claim....

Nope..........didnt need anything at all.....Just fill in a few forms and send them off.

So basically they trust someone to give them the correct and honest info...Now we all know if this is the case, people will take advantage and knowing there is no proper follow up...can put anything they like on these forms and get paid.

Thats wrong.

If claiming something like that then hospital details, doctor details etc should accompany your claim. No doctor details..........no money. simples.

So in may cases, and in hard times. The system as it is , is allowing those less honest to take advantage. There are many simple ways to change the system without tarring the honest ones on benefits "

agreed

it sounds like a cottage industry

"i was at uni the of last year completing my masters and to my knowledge anyone on benefits was applicable for a free education.

"

This is not true. Most people on benefits can't even do evening classes at concessionary rates now. Practically the only classes that are free are those for adults with poor literacy and numeracy.

Your employer supports employees by paying part of their student debt? Lucky you. This doesn't mean everyone, even those with an academic degree, would have the same opportunities.

No, the government and the councils can't get an education for people but they ARE responsible for ensuring there are jobs that pay a living wage, decent affordable housing etc.

Not everyone is as lucky as you. Ok, you've worked for your education but you've clearly had opportunities that many others who have also worked have not had.

I would be very, very dubious about encouraging anyone to go to university as things stand.

And expecting anyone to work 10 hour days on minimum wage, with few prospects is unrealistic and unreasonable. It would cause all sorts of knock-on problems. Parents not seeing their children enough and related family issues, addition load on the NHS from people getting ill more, more stress, more depression.

Our government should not be putting people in a position where they have to work as slaves or be vilified. And yes, for anyone who has made an effort and has some skills and education, 10 hour days at minimum wage is akin to slavery.

Certainly anyone who hasn't made any effort shouldn't expect much but you seem to think that putting in the effort to get an education is an automatic ticket to opportunities and career success. It's not.

Cant bring myself to watch it as I prob would throw something at my tv!!!

can you not do OU whilst you are off ?, get the first year under your belt at least"

The OU is really expensive and not everyone, especially if they've not studied for a while, is suited to self study.

Funny how they do not make programs about rich bankers plotting and planning to delay there bonus to avoid tax or CEO's getting there accountants and lawyers together to plan there tax avoidance for the year by pretending they have an office in luxemberg or some other low tax haven !!!!

"

2, rescue white D's daughter, she deserves so much better and just maybe if she was shown love, care and understanding she could make something of herself, she deserves better than what she's come from.

"

Why? Don't dismiss footage we don't see!

The OU is really expensive and not everyone, especially if they've not studied for a while, is suited to self study."

Ive been looking at it wow!!! so much to understand and read and thats before signing up....you can get grants etc so thats helpful...

Send the long term unemployed out to clean the crap from our streets in bright pink overalls with a sign on them saying worming for benefits instead of dossing around and getting pissed.im sure if they do that some of the incentive of staying at home with ya hands out will dissappear and a lot woyld go find jobs. Even if they dont we still win as we will have clean streets and they will be doing something to earn my taxes that are handed out to them.in 25 years I have never been out of work but some people just have no intention of ever doing a days work!!!

"Send the long term unemployed out to clean the crap from our streets in bright pink overalls with a sign on them saying worming for benefits instead of dossing around and getting pissed.im sure if they do that some of the incentive of staying at home with ya hands out will dissappear and a lot woyld go find jobs. Even if they dont we still win as we will have clean streets and they will be doing something to earn my taxes that are handed out to them.in 25 years I have never been out of work but some people just have no intention of ever doing a days work!!!"

[Removed by poster at 28/01/14 18:06:35]

"Send the long term unemployed out to clean the crap from our streets in bright pink overalls with a sign on them saying worming for benefits instead of dossing around and getting pissed.im sure if they do that some of the incentive of staying at home with ya hands out will dissappear and a lot woyld go find jobs. Even if they dont we still win as we will have clean streets and they will be doing something to earn my taxes that are handed out to them.in 25 years I have never been out of work but some people just have no intention of ever doing a days work!!!

"

Working not worming lmao

"

Sounds like a certain German National Socialist party's idea. Next comes ethnic cleansing, burning books.....

"Send the long term unemployed out to clean the crap from our streets in bright pink overalls with a sign on them saying worming for benefits instead of dossing around and getting pissed.im sure if they do that some of the incentive of staying at home with ya hands out will dissappear and a lot woyld go find jobs. Even if they dont we still win as we will have clean streets and they will be doing something to earn my taxes that are handed out to them.in 25 years I have never been out of work but some people just have no intention of ever doing a days work!!!"

And some have worked and paid into the system and have fallen on hard times.

Benefits are not "free money" to those people who work but can't make a living wage, or to people who have worked and paid in to the system.

Thinking the minority represent the majority and tarring everyone with the same brush is exactly what the government want.

Most people are a lot closer to ending up on benefits than they realise. How many months could you survive for if you lost your job and couldn't find another?

"Send the long term unemployed out to clean the crap from our streets in bright pink overalls with a sign on them saying worming for benefits instead of dossing around and getting pissed.im sure if they do that some of the incentive of staying at home with ya hands out will dissappear and a lot woyld go find jobs. Even if they dont we still win as we will have clean streets and they will be doing something to earn my taxes that are handed out to them.in 25 years I have never been out of work but some people just have no intention of ever doing a days work!!!

Working not worming lmao "

Are you going to make pensioners work for the state pension too? Get the oldies out picking up dog shit for their free money.

LONDON (se)

Not anymore. Even those on benefit have to pay all the fees. Education is only free upto A level then after 19 all including those on benefit must pay.

The OU is really expensive and not everyone, especially if they've not studied for a while, is suited to self study.

Ive been looking at it wow!!! so much to understand and read and thats before signing up....you can get grants etc so thats helpful... "

Sometimes you can get grants. If you want to retrain and already have a degree, no help (or very little help) is available. And the courses cost thousands of pounds.

carrbrook stalybridge

and what about the largest part of the benefits bill you know the pensioners and housing benefit payed to all those people that have found "jobs" that pay so little they still need at top up with tax credits ? maybe if the people who employ them payed a living wage rather than asking you and me to subsidise their massive profits the benefits bill wouldnt be so big but we cant do that as all our fat cat shareholders wont be happy .

I wanna go in with my rubber gloves and bleach and tidy/clean up!

Sounds like a certain German National Socialist party's idea. Next comes ethnic cleansing, burning books....."

Hence my quote

"Send the long term unemployed out to clean the crap from our streets in bright pink overalls with a sign on them saying worming for benefits instead of dossing around and getting pissed.im sure if they do that some of the incentive of staying at home with ya hands out will dissappear and a lot woyld go find jobs. Even if they dont we still win as we will have clean streets and they will be doing something to earn my taxes that are handed out to them.in 25 years I have never been out of work but some people just have no intention of ever doing a days work!!!and what about the largest part of the benefits bill you know the pensioners and housing benefit payed to all those people that have found "jobs" that pay so little they still need at top up with tax credits ? maybe if the people who employ them payed a living wage rather than asking you and me to subsidise their massive profits the benefits bill wouldnt be so big but we cant do that as all our fat cat shareholders wont be happy ."

Apparently the low paid should be able to live on the pride that they are doing something to help themselves! As if pride pays the bills. And if they don't earn a living wage they should just work more hours.

Some of the attitudes and statements on this thread defy belief.

I genuinely wish more people knew the reality of our "welfare" system and the lives of those in it, rather than believing the pap fed to them by the media and our beloved government.

"Send the long term unemployed out to clean the crap from our streets in bright pink overalls with a sign on them saying worming for benefits instead of dossing around and getting pissed.im sure if they do that some of the incentive of staying at home with ya hands out will dissappear and a lot woyld go find jobs. Even if they dont we still win as we will have clean streets and they will be doing something to earn my taxes that are handed out to them.in 25 years I have never been out of work but some people just have no intention of ever doing a days work!!!and what about the largest part of the benefits bill you know the pensioners and housing benefit payed to all those people that have found "jobs" that pay so little they still need at top up with tax credits ? maybe if the people who employ them payed a living wage rather than asking you and me to subsidise their massive profits the benefits bill wouldnt be so big but we cant do that as all our fat cat shareholders wont be happy .

Apparently the low paid should be able to live on the pride that they are doing something to help themselves! As if pride pays the bills. And if they don't earn a living wage they should just work more hours.

I genuinely wish more people knew the reality of our "welfare" system and the lives of those in it, rather than believing the pap fed to them by the media and our beloved government. "

Tho i would change the word "beloved" for shisters

I speak from experience as I've just had a written apology from them for what went off in the mid 2000s and compensation for all the hassle they've given me for chasing me for money which I never owed in the first place. Thank goodness I had the balls to stand up to them and make them realise they were totally out of order and it was their ridiculous rules that the benefits officer didn't know how to apply. So so satisfying to get one over on big brother for a change. Hurrah for someone there to at last see what I'd been saying was right and stop applying a rule that totally lacked common sense.

I wouldnt trust the tories with next doors dog shite....they would probably re package it and sell it for double the price to one of their mates.... oh hang on....they have already in the guise of ian duncan smith...he is full of shite. "

Well some of might feel the same about Mr Balls. He was Gordon Brown's right hand man, The fact is the labour government set up a lot of the crap service we get from the benefits agency. The Child tax credit people were applying the rules badly because they weren't briefed properly and no one thought through the significance of merging Inland revenue and benefits. surely there is no reason to believe any other benefit was done properly at the time either. My personal theory is that many billions have been wasted as a result and as well as bailing out the banks has caused another huge liability.

Think about this one. We are all standing back moaning and groaning at another 3.1 Billion in liabilities which we the tax payer watch disappearing down the plughole. Which idiot saved the world at the time and signed us up to that one by bailing out RBS and Fred the shred. Yes you've guessed it Gordon Brown and his friends.

I wouldnt trust the tories with next doors dog shite....they would probably re package it and sell it for double the price to one of their mates.... oh hang on....they have already in the guise of ian duncan smith...he is full of shite.

Well some of might feel the same about Mr Balls. He was Gordon Brown's right hand man, The fact is the labour government set up a lot of the crap service we get from the benefits agency. The Child tax credit people were applying the rules badly because they weren't briefed properly and no one thought through the significance of merging Inland revenue and benefits. surely there is no reason to believe any other benefit was done properly at the time either. My personal theory is that many billions have been wasted as a result and as well as bailing out the banks has caused another huge liability.

Think about this one. We are all standing back moaning and groaning at another 3.1 Billion in liabilities which we the tax payer watch disappearing down the plughole. Which idiot saved the world at the time and signed us up to that one by bailing out RBS and Fred the shred. Yes you've guessed it Gordon Brown and his friends."

They are all as greedy as self serving as each other. That's the problem. There is no good option, politically, for anyone but the wealthy and privileged few at the moment.

"Right peeps let's get some facts before you judge. A LOT of people including myself who are on benefits do not want to be here. I have applied for so many jobs. Most of which haven't even bothered to say thanks but no thanks. I and loads of others are NOT like the people in that programe. I can't afford to go out and have fun. I don't have a car and I don't drink. End of day programes like that don't show the full story and don't show those of us that are living in extreme poverty. Oh and this message was sent to you from a pay as you go phone. "

I have been on benefits in the past and been a single mum. I was not like those people either. I didn't spend all my money on fags and alcohol. My house was clean and tidy. I looked for work. I read to, done homework with, fed, loved and protected my child. Now I am in a totally different situation thank goodness. They don't have to be that way, they have got a brain in there somewhere haven't they

"Right peeps let's get some facts before you judge. A LOT of people including myself who are on benefits do not want to be here. I have applied for so many jobs. Most of which haven't even bothered to say thanks but no thanks. I and loads of others are NOT like the people in that programe. I can't afford to go out and have fun. I don't have a car and I don't drink. End of day programes like that don't show the full story and don't show those of us that are living in extreme poverty. Oh and this message was sent to you from a pay as you go phone.

I have been on benefits in the past and been a single mum. I was not like those people either. I didn't spend all my money on fags and alcohol. My house was clean and tidy. I looked for work. I read to, done homework with, fed, loved and protected my child. Now I am in a totally different situation thank goodness. They don't have to be that way, they have got a brain in there somewhere haven't they"

The point most people are missing, or in denial of is that most people on benefits are not like that.

Think about this one. We are all standing back moaning and groaning at another 3.1 Billion in liabilities which we the tax payer watch disappearing down the plughole. Which idiot saved the world at the time and signed us up to that one by bailing out RBS and Fred the shred. Yes you've guessed it Gordon Brown and his friends."

Each government have done their share of bad deals ..

Thatcher and the tories ruined the industry that drove this country...steel, coal etc and privatised the utilities...The whole bloody country will soon be run by privatisation soon.....Germany all ready run trains here etc, at an extortionate rate in order to give their own rail goers cheaper fares.

France will be making billions at our countries expense re fracking , though ban it themselves...

This country is making billions for every other bloody country but ours

"Right peeps let's get some facts before you judge. A LOT of people including myself who are on benefits do not want to be here. I have applied for so many jobs. Most of which haven't even bothered to say thanks but no thanks. I and loads of others are NOT like the people in that programe. I can't afford to go out and have fun. I don't have a car and I don't drink. End of day programes like that don't show the full story and don't show those of us that are living in extreme poverty. Oh and this message was sent to you from a pay as you go phone.

I have been on benefits in the past and been a single mum. I was not like those people either. I didn't spend all my money on fags and alcohol. My house was clean and tidy. I looked for work. I read to, done homework with, fed, loved and protected my child. Now I am in a totally different situation thank goodness. They don't have to be that way, they have got a brain in there somewhere haven't they

The point most people are missing, or in denial of is that most people on benefits are not like that."

personally for me i have only quoted that street and birmingham and i have no doubt that for every one person on that show creating a bad perception of people on benefits there are 100's who are just getting on with everyday life like the rest of us.

good news does not make good news

Working not worming lmao

Are you going to make pensioners work for the state pension too? Get the oldies out picking up dog shit for their free money. "

I said the long term layabouts. Not pensioners, not people getting their wages topped as they are making an effort! Im talking the lazy scum on handouts for years on end. At some points in my life I have had upto 3 jobs at once. There is always some sort of work out there even if its cleaning toilets!! Some people wont work regardless. So please before having a go at me read who im targeting before making comments. There is no reason for anyone being out of work for a long time unless they are completly mentally or physical disabled . Stressed or to fat def dont count nor does cba!!

"Not anymore. Even those on benefit have to pay all the fees. Education is only free upto A level then after 19 all including those on benefit must pay.

"

well thats something i didnt know

the university i studied at were complaining that they were struggling to get the money from government to fund students on benefits plus they complained about receiving monies back for overseas students.

"Send the long term unemployed out to clean the crap from our streets in bright pink overalls with a sign on them saying worming for benefits instead of dossing around and getting pissed.im sure if they do that some of the incentive of staying at home with ya hands out will dissappear and a lot woyld go find jobs. Even if they dont we still win as we will have clean streets and they will be doing something to earn my taxes that are handed out to them.in 25 years I have never been out of work but some people just have no intention of ever doing a days work!!!and what about the largest part of the benefits bill you know the pensioners and housing benefit payed to all those people that have found "jobs" that pay so little they still need at top up with tax credits ? maybe if the people who employ them payed a living wage rather than asking you and me to subsidise their massive profits the benefits bill wouldnt be so big but we cant do that as all our fat cat shareholders wont be happy .

I genuinely wish more people knew the reality of our "welfare" system and the lives of those in it, rather than believing the pap fed to them by the media and our beloved government. "

I am one of the people that has their wage "topped" up with tax credits and housing benefit. I am very much reliant on this, since becoming a single parent I have bettered my myself within work and it has cost me financially I am looking for further advancement and it will leave me without housing benefit, and working 7 hrs a week more I know it will be harder but I will be so proud of myself, I hope I will be a example to my children that hard work pays off.

As for people understanding the welfare system more each person has varying degrees of experience I know I could of sat on my fat arse and watched Jeremy Kyle all day but I choose to work but should someone who makes themselves unemployable be better off than the working person?

And why do they live in such filth??

Working not worming lmao

Are you going to make pensioners work for the state pension too? Get the oldies out picking up dog shit for their free money.

I said the long term layabouts. Not pensioners, not people getting their wages topped as they are making an effort! Im talking the lazy scum on handouts for years on end. At some points in my life I have had upto 3 jobs at once. There is always some sort of work out there even if its cleaning toilets!! Some people wont work regardless. So please before having a go at me read who im targeting before making comments. There is no reason for anyone being out of work for a long time unless they are completly mentally or physical disabled . Stressed or to fat def dont count nor does cba!!"

You do know that by far the largest chunk of the welfare budget goes on pensions, that unemployment benefit makes up a small proportion and benefit fraud a much, much smaller proportion?

If every person who had never worked was taken off benefits tomorrow, I seriously doubt it would have much of an impact. It certainly wouldn't cure the spending defecit.

We're discussing saving pennies when a fortune is being pissed away every day.

"And why do they live in such filth??"

Some working people live in filth.

It's just the way some people live.

I have been on benefits in the past and been a single mum. I was not like those people either. I didn't spend all my money on fags and alcohol. My house was clean and tidy. I looked for work. I read to, done homework with, fed, loved and protected my child. Now I am in a totally different situation thank goodness. They don't have to be that way, they have got a brain in there somewhere haven't they"

Working not worming lmao

I said the long term layabouts. Not pensioners, not people getting their wages topped as they are making an effort! Im talking the lazy scum on handouts for years on end. At some points in my life I have had upto 3 jobs at once. There is always some sort of work out there even if its cleaning toilets!! Some people wont work regardless. So please before having a go at me read who im targeting before making comments. There is no reason for anyone being out of work for a long time unless they are completly mentally or physical disabled . Stressed or to fat def dont count nor does cba!!

You do know that by far the largest chunk of the welfare budget goes on pensions, that unemployment benefit makes up a small proportion and benefit fraud a much, much smaller proportion?

If every person who had never worked was taken off benefits tomorrow, I seriously doubt it would have much of an impact. It certainly wouldn't cure the spending defecit.

We're discussing saving pennies when a fortune is being pissed away every day."

your correct with facts on pensions however if you have a generation of people who have not contributed into their pension pot because they chosen that path (and some do lets not be naive in thinking that does not happen) then do you think they are entitled to a state pension ?

Working not worming lmao

your correct with facts on pensions however if you have a generation of people who have not contributed into their pension pot because they chosen that path (and some do lets not be naive in thinking that does not happen) then do you think they are entitled to a state pension ?"

I think we should be focusing on the larger issues - the ones that could have a significant effect on the economy of this country - rather than vilifying the poor.

Yes, there are some - a minority of - people who abuse the benefits system. Yes, there are some changes that would be beneficial.

The aim of setting ordinary people against each other, however, is a smokescreen so nobody looks at what could be done to really make a difference.

There's only so much that can be taken from people on benefits. Once that avenue has been wrung dry, who do you suppose will be next? Because you can bet the 1% won't suddenly decide they have enough.

because you have pride in yourself

I genuinely wish more people knew the reality of our "welfare" system and the lives of those in it, rather than believing the pap fed to them by the media and our beloved government.

I am one of the people that has their wage "topped" up with tax credits and housing benefit. I am very much reliant on this, since becoming a single parent I have bettered my myself within work and it has cost me financially I am looking for further advancement and it will leave me without housing benefit, and working 7 hrs a week more I know it will be harder but I will be so proud of myself, I hope I will be a example to my children that hard work pays off.

As for people understanding the welfare system more each person has varying degrees of experience I know I could of sat on my fat arse and watched Jeremy Kyle all day but I choose to work but should someone who makes themselves unemployable be better off than the working person?"

Great news that the benefit system is helping you to get through difficult times as that is what it is intended to do. So for employed people who are in the PAYE tax system it seems to work. The problem area is the area of self employment where you self certify your income. It seems to me to be too open to abuse. However they might now have cleared up the issue I had with them back in 2006 where I felt they made a complete hash of our award. I dunno. I'm not going to pester them about it as they cleared up the misunderstanding in my favour but at the time their demands and menaces about paying money back were are bit unnerving.

So as a matter of point....

Take away all the benefits to those living similar lives to those shown in the programme.....

They may or may not get a job, taking in consideration that birmingham it self has and is cutting most of their services and making many many people redundant.

What then happens to said people. ?

They mostly have kids who need food and clothes etc

Are we to punish those as well. Some would say "put them in a home"

What homes and at what cost.?

The only logical solution is bringing back the "workhouses"

Low cost to the tax payer and those in there could do the most menial of jobs in order to get their bowl of gruel at the end of each day.

For each problem , there may be a solution which in its self ,will cost double what the benefits cost now.

I dont have the answers and neither do the politicians so instead they put measures into place that hurt the very people they are supposed to be supporting.

"So as a matter of point....

Take away all the benefits to those living similar lives to those shown in the programme.....

They may or may not get a job, taking in consideration that birmingham it self has and is cutting most of their services and making many many people redundant.

Low cost to the tax payer and those in there could do the most menial of jobs in order to get their bowl of gruel at the end of each day.

For each problem , there may be a solution which in its self ,will cost double what the benefits cost now.

I dont have the answers and neither do the politicians so instead they put measures into place that hurt the very people they are supposed to be supporting. "

Workhouse solution ! These where horrendous places !! Especially the Victorian ones but here is a radical solution distribute wealth , put bankers I'm jail stop tax avoiders and yep there may be a few idiots but white coller theft like what MPs did in the expenses scandal has a greater pact on the public coffers oo and don't get me started on NHS and the pilfering off of public funds it's costing to make private peace out x I'll get off me soap box an let u all pelt me with tomatoes xx

I dont have the answers and neither do the politicians so instead they put measures into place that hurt the very people they are supposed to be supporting. "

The politicians know the answer. It's take from the people who have it and don't pay their share. However, that's them and their cronies...

I dont have the answers and neither do the politicians so instead they put measures into place that hurt the very people they are supposed to be supporting.

The politicians know the answer. It's take from the people who have it and don't pay their share. However, that's them and their cronies..."

The tories have always had that mantra.....the name "tory" means a kind of irish bandit" quite apt really.

Working not worming lmao

your correct with facts on pensions however if you have a generation of people who have not contributed into their pension pot because they chosen that path (and some do lets not be naive in thinking that does not happen) then do you think they are entitled to a state pension ?

I think we should be focusing on the larger issues - the ones that could have a significant effect on the economy of this country - rather than vilifying the poor.

Yes, there are some - a minority of - people who abuse the benefits system. Yes, there are some changes that would be beneficial.

The aim of setting ordinary people against each other, however, is a smokescreen so nobody looks at what could be done to really make a difference.

There's only so much that can be taken from people on benefits. Once that avenue has been wrung dry, who do you suppose will be next? Because you can bet the 1% won't suddenly decide they have enough."

sorry but this is a real issue because when people canvas the publics opinion on such matters this is the main point.

people who work hard and try to pay their bills are fed up with people who do not want to work its nothing to do with the press or the politicians its what people see every day were they live.

the benefit system isthere to pick you up and support you in hard times however it is not a career choice.

its ironic we are making people from abroad pay into our system before they receive any benefits yet our indigeous people who do not want to work expect it for nothing thats immoral.

i was taught that if i wanted anything like cars, holidays, cable tv etc then i would have to work it

perhaps if we told them if you pay nothing in you will get nothing out and thats what i was told 1985 before leaving school.

They are just tramps first thing they buy is booze and fags then moan they ent got no money ,we didn't have no money when we was growing up but was never dirty like them lot all the do gooders on here you no what to do if you wanna help them

Can I ask why be so reactionary and dismissive of the program makers motive. You have no evidence to suggest it was motivated by politicians. Perhaps they thought it might help galvanise community self support system.

Apparently they had a meeting in the school hall or something last week to discuss the negativity the street was having and they got a bit galvanised about it. Maybe someone will tap into that and use it. Stranger things have happened. It's always darkest before the dawn and all that. Why always be so cynical and seeing the dark side of peoples motives. Be a half full person for a change. It's not all doom and gloom for these people.

And I don't think the government is putting in measures to hurt these people deliberately. I think they just don't go out and meet them much and see how shit their lives are. Maybe benefits street will make one or two of sit up and realise this is going on in Britain today and somehow it's got to be made to stop by lifting people out of the trap that they are in. I don't think everyone will ever agree on how that can be done. One thing I feel is labour and their crew wont do it. They might bring a bit of temporary relief but in the long run their policies never work.

As someone else pointed out they are all as bad as each other but I personally wouldn't be PM for a gold pig. It must be about the worst way to earn £ 140K in the world LOL. Good luck to any man/woman who wants to try.