FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > BT Broadband

BT Broadband

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uckoo clock OP   Couple  over a year ago

Merseyside

I already have Bt broadband but its the very basic package.When watching BBC/ITV i player the programmes stall every couple minutes.

Is that whats called 'buffering' and if i need to upgrade to resolve it whats the minimum download speed i need. They currently offer 16mb, 38mb,76mb ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *w33tCh33ks91TV/TS  over a year ago

Manchester

"I already have Bt broadband but its the very basic package.When watching BBC/ITV i player the programmes stall every couple minutes.

Is that whats called 'buffering' and if i need to upgrade to resolve it whats the minimum download speed i need. They currently offer 16mb, 38mb,76mb ? "

I am currently with Virgin on a basic package with 16mb of internet mine doesn't buffer really...

However it all depends on the time of day that u are trying to stream at, peak times are when most people will be using it therefore it will be harder for you to stream. Each step up of mb obviously is better but as I say I'm on 16mb and have no problems.

Merseyside

"I already have Bt broadband but its the very basic package.When watching BBC/ITV i player the programmes stall every couple minutes.

Is that whats called 'buffering' and if i need to upgrade to resolve it whats the minimum download speed i need. They currently offer 16mb, 38mb,76mb ?

I am currently with Virgin on a basic package with 16mb of internet mine doesn't buffer really...

However it all depends on the time of day that u are trying to stream at, peak times are when most people will be using it therefore it will be harder for you to stream. Each step up of mb obviously is better but as I say I'm on 16mb and have no problems. "

Thats interesting because i was convinced that i had watched before and didnt experience that. So its affected by how many others are doing the same ?

Manchester

However it all depends on the time of day that u are trying to stream at, peak times are when most people will be using it therefore it will be harder for you to stream. Each step up of mb obviously is better but as I say I'm on 16mb and have no problems.

Thats interesting because i was convinced that i had watched before and didnt experience that. So its affected by how many others are doing the same ?"

Well it's affected by the amount of users using broadband at the same time... So late afternoon and early evenings are highest peak times due to people finishing work/school.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

BBC I player is rubbish too, which doesn't help. Streams worse than all the others in our experience, and we're on a 60mb connection. You still get little skips.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We were BT infinity and to be honest it was pure shite, buffering every 20 to 30 seconds and very slow, kept getting pop ups on the screen saying Internet unstable, BT did nothing to help or make it better so we moved to Sky Broadband last week and it's quicker than a quick thing with no buffering...... The Internet is the luck of the draw depending on your area as to which is the best provider, 2 miles up the road in some new houses BT infinity is lightening speed

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I have Infinity and it is fantastic

It does indeed seem to be luck of the draw. I had BT when I lived a mile away. It was awful. Apart from it being terribly slow, it went down whenever it rained. I switched to Virgin when they laid fibre optic in the area and that was better. But now in my new house I have BT again and it is faster than Virgin even though it is not fibre optic. Go figure.

Go into your router settings and change the router channel. If other people that live nearby also have BT broadband there's a high chance they're using the same channel as you which causes interference and slowing your access speeds ( most people set up routers as a plug in an go device and don't realize you can switch channels). If you don't know how to do this there should be info on the BT Broadband website or just give them a call.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I've just got sky and it's pretty good

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

I've got Sky fibre optic and my connection is utter crap. They guarantee 40mb but I'm lucky if I get 13mb. I need to get them out to sort it or get rid.

Download speeds dont matter really, its your upload speed that makes your streaming faster.

If you have a faster upload speed then the information can be requested faster therefore making your downloads much quicker

"I've got Sky fibre optic and my connection is utter crap. They guarantee 40mb but I'm lucky if I get 13mb. I need to get them out to sort it or get rid. "

The whole reason I ditched Sky was because they promised good speeds but they delivered well below those figures. I'm with Virgin on their 100mb package and regularly get speeds of over 106mb and I've never had a single dropout or bad connection.

Merseyside

Although my basic package sayd up to 16 mb I have just done download speed test and it shows 1.27 mb.Big difference ?

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"BBC I player is rubbish too, which doesn't help. Streams worse than all the others in our experience, and we're on a 60mb connection. You still get little skips."

I find BBC player is perfect whilst I have problems with ITV buffering.

Manchester

"Although my basic package sayd up to 16 mb I have just done download speed test and it shows 1.27 mb.Big difference ?"

Exactly right now is prime time internet usage x

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

"I've got Sky fibre optic and my connection is utter crap. They guarantee 40mb but I'm lucky if I get 13mb. I need to get them out to sort it or get rid.

The whole reason I ditched Sky was because they promised good speeds but they delivered well below those figures. I'm with Virgin on their 100mb package and regularly get speeds of over 106mb and I've never had a single dropout or bad connection."

Unfortunately I'm fairly limited. Virgins cable stops about 100 yards short of my house and they won't invest on extending it

Manchester

"I've got Sky fibre optic and my connection is utter crap. They guarantee 40mb but I'm lucky if I get 13mb. I need to get them out to sort it or get rid.

The whole reason I ditched Sky was because they promised good speeds but they delivered well below those figures. I'm with Virgin on their 100mb package and regularly get speeds of over 106mb and I've never had a single dropout or bad connection.

Unfortunately I'm fairly limited. Virgins cable stops about 100 yards short of my house and they won't invest on extending it "

That's no good! I think virgins broadband is amazing however I don't rate the other things they have to offer

Unfortunately I'm fairly limited. Virgins cable stops about 100 yards short of my house and they won't invest on extending it

That's no good! I think virgins broadband is amazing however I don't rate the other things they have to offer"

My experience of their customer service has been outstanding for all their products.

Check that your pc is running ok if its sluggish that will cause buffering.Do a clean up and defrag ,it may help.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"I've got Sky fibre optic and my connection is utter crap. They guarantee 40mb but I'm lucky if I get 13mb. I need to get them out to sort it or get rid. "

Them?

The network is run and maintained by Openreach, so unless you are in an area where Virgin has put in their own cables, then no matter who you pay your bill to, the engineers that install or fix it will be Openreach.

By *eryBigGirlWoman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

"I've just got sky and it's pretty good "

Me too and it's definitely faster than my Bt was

The actual speed of any broadband is dependent on a number of factors, not least (and significantly) is the distance between your house and the exchange.

» Add a new message to this topic