FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Technical Help!

Technical Help!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My broadband at home seems to have stopped working. Well it definitely has stopped working and its a pain in the arse!

I've turned it off and turned it on again (my default fixing thing!) and its still not working! I've turned it off for about 5 minutes (my "oh fuck my first attempt didn't work" setting) and turned it on again and its still not working.

So can anyone offer words of advice which doesn't involve sitting on hold for hours!?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Turn it off, stick a pointy end of a paperclip into the tiny hole, switch it back on, count to ten and then have a look at it.

By *cottishrichMan  over a year ago

Here and there

"My broadband at home seems to have stopped working. Well it definitely has stopped working and its a pain in the arse!

I've turned it off and turned it on again (my default fixing thing!) and its still not working! I've turned it off for about 5 minutes (my "oh fuck my first attempt didn't work" setting) and turned it on again and its still not working.

So can anyone offer words of advice which doesn't involve sitting on hold for hours!?"

Assuming you have Internet on your phone since you've managed to post on here, so firstly you should go to the website of your service provider and check if there are any outages in your area, it may be a problem at their end not yours.

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Is it connected via Ethernet cable or wireless?

If wireless, try connecting it directly by Ethernet.

Have you tried connecting another device?

If it still doesn't work, it rules out your PC/gadget being the issue.

Is the connection light lit up on your modem?

Is the telephone line/cable line connected properly?

If all if these have been tried and still no joy you will probably have to go the phone route.

Is it connected via Ethernet cable or wireless? Wireless

If wireless, try connecting it directly by Ethernet. The lights aren't all on, so I don't know whether that will work

Have you tried connecting another device? Yes, 3 didn't work

If it still doesn't work, it rules out your PC/gadget being the issue. I'm on my laptop at work

Is the connection light lit up on your modem? No

Is the telephone line/cable line connected properly? Yes

If all if these have been tried and still no joy you will probably have to go the phone route. OH BUGGER! lol

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

pay the bill ??

Here and there

"Is it connected via Ethernet cable or wireless? Wireless

If wireless, try connecting it directly by Ethernet. The lights aren't all on, so I don't know whether that will work

If it still doesn't work, it rules out your PC/gadget being the issue. I'm on my laptop at work

If all if these have been tried and still no joy you will probably have to go the phone route. OH BUGGER! lol"

If all the lights are out then there is no power getting to it, is it definitely plugged in and turned on? You'd be surprised how often that's the problem. Next check fuses and if all that's still ok then the router is probably broken.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

Basic fault finding 101.

Is the phone working at the master socket? (First socket where the line comes into the property, assuming you have a phone line!)

If not... then its fooked (technical term!) Ring your Communication provider.

If it is, then its more likely to be something like your router.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If you have an ADSL micro filter in the phone line, it may be faulty.

Do you have a spare one you could try?

"pay the bill ?? "

Haha - that's all been done!

If all if these have been tried and still no joy you will probably have to go the phone route. OH BUGGER! lol

If all the lights are out then there is no power getting to it, is it definitely plugged in and turned on? You'd be surprised how often that's the problem. Next check fuses and if all that's still ok then the router is probably broken. "

Most of the lights are on. Oh fuck fuses - I've only just learned how to wire a plug!

I've spoken to my 2 technical advisers over the phone.... my OH and my stepdad and they've both said I'm going to have to phone EE. *gulp*

Here and there

If all the lights are out then there is no power getting to it, is it definitely plugged in and turned on? You'd be surprised how often that's the problem. Next check fuses and if all that's still ok then the router is probably broken.

Most of the lights are on. Oh fuck fuses - I've only just learned how to wire a plug!

I've spoken to my 2 technical advisers over the phone.... my OH and my stepdad and they've both said I'm going to have to phone EE. *gulp*"

Ah, I thought you meant ALL lights were off!

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

"...

I've spoken to my 2 technical advisers over the phone.... my OH and my stepdad and they've both said I'm going to have to phone EE. *gulp*"

Which lights are on? There will be a symbol beside each of them and the one that looks like a globe is to show if you have a working broadband connection.

Which EE router do you have? A BrightBox?

"...

I've spoken to my 2 technical advisers over the phone.... my OH and my stepdad and they've both said I'm going to have to phone EE. *gulp*

Which lights are on? There will be a symbol beside each of them and the one that looks like a globe is to show if you have a working broadband connection.

Which EE router do you have? A BrightBox?"

Yeah I have a BrightBox - the 2 lights that are on all the time at the moment are the ones on the far left and right... The second left one is flashing and the 3rd one (the one that I think is the download one) is totally off.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If the second to the left is flashing then the ADSL is not synchronizing. This is typically a service failure with either the BT exchange or the EE service. Best give their support number a call.

I'm in Manchester at the minute and the EE service has been up and down for the last couple of days.

Tayside

"...

Yeah I have a BrightBox - the 2 lights that are on all the time at the moment are the ones on the far left and right... The second left one is flashing and the 3rd one (the one that I think is the download one) is totally off."

If the second left one is flashing (the globe) then there is a problem with the broadband connection - It should stay solid, the same with the one next to it to the left i.e. the power light.

You may have interrupted an update to the router and putting a paper clip into the small hole in the back or doing a factory reset from the PC settings may reset it and get it working again, failing that calling EE will be your best bet.

To get to the settings page of the router, open a browser page and type http://192.168.1.1 and login to the settings page - username and password will be on your "keep me" card and also underneath the BrightBox

I know EE said they were going to be sending updates to Brightbox units because of a fault with privacy settings - could this have affected it?

I think I'll just have to give them a ring tomorrow, which is a pain in the proverbial!

Tayside

"I know EE said they were going to be sending updates to Brightbox units because of a fault with privacy settings - could this have affected it?

I think I'll just have to give them a ring tomorrow, which is a pain in the proverbial!"

It might have if interrupted, it has only ever happened to me once and resetting it back to the factory setting cleared it.

The settings page gives you a lot of info and EE will probably ask you to log in to it if you call them anyway. Be careful though and only change setting on the "Advanced Settings" tab if EE tell you to.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"...

Yeah I have a BrightBox - the 2 lights that are on all the time at the moment are the ones on the far left and right... The second left one is flashing and the 3rd one (the one that I think is the download one) is totally off.

If the second left one is flashing (the globe) then there is a problem with the broadband connection - It should stay solid, the same with the one next to it to the left i.e. the power light.

You may have interrupted an update to the router and putting a paper clip into the small hole in the back or doing a factory reset from the PC settings may reset it and get it working again, failing that calling EE will be your best bet.

To get to the settings page of the router, open a browser page and type http://192.168.1.1 and login to the settings page - username and password will be on your "keep me" card and also underneath the BrightBox"

Just reading all the advice. I am so glad someone else said to put a paperclip in the little hole.

Tayside

"...

To get to the settings page of the router, open a browser page and type http://192.168.1.1 and login to the settings page - username and password will be on your "keep me" card and also underneath the BrightBox

Just reading all the advice. I am so glad someone else said to put a paperclip in the little hole.

"

And no sexual innuendo intended either!

» Add a new message to this topic