FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Formula One

Formula One

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Anyone else keeping up with the jerez test? Looking good for mclaren.....so far!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Strewth, Bruce!!

By *cottishrichMan  over a year ago

Here and there

"Anyone else keeping up with the jerez test? Looking good for mclaren.....so far!"

They've got a very clever solution on the rear suspension to gain rear downforce, no one else has anything like it and will take a major redesign for them to try and copy it. Looks like they've got the jump on everyone else this year. Add to that red bull having overheating problems and it's looking good for a competitive season.

Watched a few clips earlier, not sure about the sound of the engines though. It was on YouTube though. Hopefully it'll be someone different winning this year as it gets a bit samey watching one driver winning every year. Red bulls Ker's seemed to be less reliable in the past so they could struggle with the new systems.

Not much been said about ferrari so far but I think this year will be there's

Haven't seen the Day 3 clips yet, but I'm looking forward to it... so many unknown, so hopefully it will be open season....

I like the sound of the new engines, `i think they sound more throaty... lol

Come on Lewis !! lol

Here and there

I think at least for the first half of the season it will be an engine formula so whoever has the strongest most reliable engine (or powertrain as they now insist we call it) will be in a good position, my bet is on a Mercedes powered car at the moment. As for the kers, the rules over how and where the batteries etc were to be positioned should have fixed red bulls kers reliability problem but from what I saw earlier Newey has packaged one particular part in such a way that it's causing overheating and has meant they've not been able to run the car properly yet.

"Not much been said about ferrari so far but I think this year will be there's "

Kimi set some great times earlier in the week.

I'm glad to see McLaren are looking competitive again this year...

"I think at least for the first half of the season it will be an engine formula so whoever has the strongest most reliable engine (or powertrain as they now insist we call it) will be in a good position, my bet is on a Mercedes powered car at the moment. As for the kers, the rules over how and where the batteries etc were to be positioned should have fixed red bulls kers reliability problem but from what I saw earlier Newey has packaged one particular part in such a way that it's causing overheating and has meant they've not been able to run the car properly yet. "

I agree that Mercedes has the edge, but not only is it going to be reliability with both Recovery systems, but also the link up with the extra torqe and the dreaded tyres!!

"Not much been said about ferrari so far but I think this year will be there's

I'm glad to see McLaren are looking competitive again this year..."

Not seen todays reviews yet ... so did Mclaren get out?

Not happy with the kick in the nuts to Whitmarsh!

Here and there

"I think at least for the first half of the season it will be an engine formula so whoever has the strongest most reliable engine (or powertrain as they now insist we call it) will be in a good position, my bet is on a Mercedes powered car at the moment. As for the kers, the rules over how and where the batteries etc were to be positioned should have fixed red bulls kers reliability problem but from what I saw earlier Newey has packaged one particular part in such a way that it's causing overheating and has meant they've not been able to run the car properly yet.

I agree that Mercedes has the edge, but not only is it going to be reliability with both Recovery systems, but also the link up with the extra torqe and the dreaded tyres!!"

Don't get me started on the tyres! I know the teams asked for the increased degradation to try and spice up the strategy but I think the pirellis have ruined the sport. I don't want to see racing at 70-80% and the only overtaking done with DRS, F1 should be flat out every lap for an hour and a half.

Also, I'm not happy to see whitmarsh gone. I never liked Boullier, he always looked like he was on the edge of a breakdown when asked about Lotus's money worries and kept on denying there was a problem when we all knew he was lying. Whitmarsh was a straight talker and took responsibility for mclarens bad year even though it wasn't his fault.

Not managed to capture any of it so far.

Glad to hear Schumacher is coming out of his coma to.

"Haven't seen the Day 3 clips yet, but I'm looking forward to it... so many unknown, so hopefully it will be open season....

Come on Lewis !! lol"

Sounded like someone had left a bag of nuts and bolts in it on YouTube, might have been that it was camcorder/phone footage, I'm using a tablet and can't be arsed to work out how to view video on the BBC website or turn my PC on. Like you say definitely not as high pitched as the v8s. Button or Lewis could both do with adding another championship to their collection. Failing that Raikkonen, it'll be fun to see Alonso throw his toys out of the pram, again. Newey is the man with the golden touch though so you can't write RB off. Read somewhere that Ross Brawn might be heading to Maclaren, he says he's going fishing though. Maybe next year with Honda rejoining.

"I think at least for the first half of the season it will be an engine formula so whoever has the strongest most reliable engine (or powertrain as they now insist we call it) will be in a good position, my bet is on a Mercedes powered car at the moment. As for the kers, the rules over how and where the batteries etc were to be positioned should have fixed red bulls kers reliability problem but from what I saw earlier Newey has packaged one particular part in such a way that it's causing overheating and has meant they've not been able to run the car properly yet.

I agree that Mercedes has the edge, but not only is it going to be reliability with both Recovery systems, but also the link up with the extra torqe and the dreaded tyres!!

Don't get me started on the tyres! I know the teams asked for the increased degradation to try and spice up the strategy but I think the pirellis have ruined the sport. I don't want to see racing at 70-80% and the only overtaking done with DRS, F1 should be flat out every lap for an hour and a half.

Also, I'm not happy to see whitmarsh gone. I never liked Boullier, he always looked like he was on the edge of a breakdown when asked about Lotus's money worries and kept on denying there was a problem when we all knew he was lying. Whitmarsh was a straight talker and took responsibility for mclarens bad year even though it wasn't his fault. "

Then your gonna hate what's coming then, because with all the fuel efficiency, they just can't do the 100% running. But to be honest, the tyres last year were the difference - would vettell have own but for the change of tyres and would force India have dropped off so dramatically?? In one way, I liked the fact that teams had to consider wear on tyres, it was just that it was too extreme!

Completely agree on Boulier - who knows, maybe whit marsh will go to Renault???

"Haven't seen the Day 3 clips yet, but I'm looking forward to it... so many unknown, so hopefully it will be open season....

Come on Lewis !! lol

Sounded like someone had left a bag of nuts and bolts in it on YouTube, might have been that it was camcorder/phone footage, I'm using a tablet and can't be arsed to work out how to view video on the BBC website or turn my PC on. Like you say definitely not as high pitched as the v8s. Button or Lewis could both do with adding another championship to their collection. Failing that Raikkonen, it'll be fun to see Alonso throw his toys out of the pram, again. Newey is the man with the golden touch though so you can't write RB off. Read somewhere that Ross Brawn might be heading to Maclaren, he says he's going fishing though. Maybe next year with Honda rejoining."

Had a great bit on ted kraits notebook - I think the sound of 22 engines will sound awesome... At least that bloody popping has gone...

Soap box Ferrari .... God I hope so ... Lol. And as for Ross brawn, not sure if he and Ron Dennis would get on?

Here and there

"

Then your gonna hate what's coming then, because with all the fuel efficiency, they just can't do the 100% running. But to be honest, the tyres last year were the difference - would vettell have own but for the change of tyres and would force India have dropped off so dramatically?? In one way, I liked the fact that teams had to consider wear on tyres, it was just that it was too extreme!

Completely agree on Boulier - who knows, maybe whit marsh will go to Renault???"

We've had fuel saving for a long time though, even as far back as when refueling was allowed so I can handle that, it just when you combine that with fragile rubber that it just tips the balance. It's no longer the fastest driver winning and although you can argue that there is still a skill in balancing all these other factors I just think that the fastest guy should be the one out in front. Make the tyres better and make every race a two stopper, one of each compound and a free choice on the third, that will spice up the strategy but we won't have tyres dropping off "the cliff"

I like the idea that someone else just said about Brawn at Mclaren, I think that would work well.

Also, I'm not happy to see whitmarsh gone. I never liked Boullier, he always looked like he was on the edge of a breakdown when asked about Lotus's money worries and kept on denying there was a problem when we all knew he was lying. Whitmarsh was a straight talker and took responsibility for mclarens bad year even though it wasn't his fault. "

Perelli just made what they were told to make though, that combined with the very limited testing allowed with current cars can't be the best way to go. Boullier just looked like a sweaty man evrytime he was on camera, Whitmarsh meh, undecided mclaren hasn't had much success since he took over the team.

Could go back to one set of tyres and no pitstops, that could just mean even less position swaps though.

Here's one thing that would make it interesting (ish).

Keep the cars "on track" at all times, put proper kerbs in.

Here and there

"

Perelli just made what they were told to make though, that combined with the very limited testing allowed with current cars can't be the best way to go. Boullier just looked like a sweaty man evrytime he was on camera, Whitmarsh meh, undecided mclaren hasn't had much success since he took over the team.

Could go back to one set of tyres and no pitstops, that could just mean even less position swaps though."

Yes they did. They did exactly what the teams asked and then the same teams bitched about it every race. I don't know what the answer is but the teams shouldn't have any say in it, they're too invested in gaining any possible advantage over their competitors to come up with fair and reasonable suggestions. There needs to be an independent body that makes the rules and says "this is how it is, like it or lump it"

It's a bit unfair to single out Whitmarsh, no one else has had any success in the last four years either.

Ok, I agree that we all want to see the best driver at the front, but hasn't it for years been always "the best car".

The changes in tyre regulations were an attempt by the FIA to make it a level playing field, but the instructions given to Pirelli we're way out ...

I agree that it should be a mandatory 2 compound use, but if you make the tyres too durable, what is to stop a team running on one tyre for 95% of the race... - some would argue the midfield teams almost do that!

You have to have some type of pit stops because that does add to the race ....

Here and there

"

Keep the cars "on track" at all times, put proper kerbs in. "

I like that idea! They were pushing it a bit too far at some tracks. One good thing about the silverstone blowouts was that they weren't running out wide then.

"

Love that one - listening to Martin brundle on commentary is awesome when he gets to this and I totally agree, if a driver can keep full throttle on when all 4 wheels are off track , then surely he is gaining an advantage!!

"

Wouldn't that just effect everyone equally so in effect have no real difference and make overtaking even harder.

Although all the runoff areas on modern tracks, compared to years ago, makes it much easier to regain the track a lot of the time not even loosing any places. Don't see many cars marooned in gravel traps these days. Put stingers in the run off areas...

"

Keep the cars "on track" at all times, put proper kerbs in.

Wouldn't that just effect everyone equally so in effect have no real difference and make overtaking even harder.

Although all the runoff areas on modern tracks, compared to years ago, makes it much easier to regain the track a lot of the time not even loosing any places. Don't see many cars marooned in gravel traps these days. Put stingers in the run off areas... "

Pyramid shaped speed ramps - it could be a new sport - airborne F1 !!!

"

Could go back to one set of tyres and no pitstops, that could just mean even less position swaps though.

Yes they did. They did exactly what the teams asked and then the same teams bitched about it every race. I don't know what the answer is but the teams shouldn't have any say in it, they're too invested in gaining any possible advantage over their competitors to come up with fair and reasonable suggestions. There needs to be an independent body that makes the rules and says "this is how it is, like it or lump it"

It's a bit unfair to single out Whitmarsh, no one else has had any success in the last four years either. "

Last year was really bad for McLaren though, no real sniff of success.

Here and there

"Ok, I agree that we all want to see the best driver at the front, but hasn't it for years been always "the best car".

The changes in tyre regulations were an attempt by the FIA to make it a level playing field, but the instructions given to Pirelli we're way out ...

I agree that it should be a mandatory 2 compound use, but if you make the tyres too durable, what is to stop a team running on one tyre for 95% of the race... - some would argue the midfield teams almost do that!

You have to have some type of pit stops because that does add to the race ...."

Not necessarily just the best driver, the best car and driver combination, after all F1 is about manufacturers. There are single make formulas if you want to pit drivers against each other. Personally I didn't mind Red Bull winning everything, even though I'm a mclaren fan. They made the fastest car and deserved to win but I think the fragile tyres actually helped them because Vettel just seemed to go really easy on them.

"Ok, I agree that we all want to see the best driver at the front, but hasn't it for years been always "the best car".

Not necessarily just the best driver, the best car and driver combination, after all F1 is about manufacturers. There are single make formulas if you want to pit drivers against each other. Personally I didn't mind Red Bull winning everything, even though I'm a mclaren fan. They made the fastest car and deserved to win but I think the fragile tyres actually helped them because Vettel just seemed to go really easy on them. "

And Lewis Hamilton consistently fucks his up. Surely, with either man, it's more than a coincidence?

"

It's a bit unfair to single out Whitmarsh, no one else has had any success in the last four years either.

Last year was really bad for McLaren though, no real sniff of success. "

Or anybody else!! Mind you they weren't helped with the decision to put Perez in for Hamilton, surely Paul di ~Resta would have been better - not as hot headed anyway! I wonder who made that decision...

Is it too much to ask for little metal guide rails sunk into the track with cars spinning off at some corners?

Not necessarily just the best driver, the best car and driver combination, after all F1 is about manufacturers. There are single make formulas if you want to pit drivers against each other. Personally I didn't mind Red Bull winning everything, even though I'm a mclaren fan. They made the fastest car and deserved to win but I think the fragile tyres actually helped them because Vettel just seemed to go really easy on them. "

agreed, but they were easist on the tyres, because newey came up with the right formula ... I would love to see a race between hamilton, vettel, alonso, raikkenen ..... in identical marussia's .... lol

Here and there

"

Last year was really bad for McLaren though, no real sniff of success. "

Yeah, they built a dog! On the up side they stopped developing it pretty early and concentrated on this year instead and hopefully it's worked for them. As I said before, the rear suspension is pretty clever and won't be easy for others to copy. If you look at every year since 2009 the rear of the car has been decisive. 2009 Brawn double diffuser, 2010-2012 red bull exhaust blown diffuser, 2013 coanda exhaust. With their aerodynamic suspension I think they'll have the best rear downforce and get a jump on the rest of the field.

Not happy with the kick in the nuts to Whitmarsh!"

magnussen set fastest time of the day so its looking good for mclaren so far

Have they reassigned a new position for whitmarsh yet

Not necessarily just the best driver, the best car and driver combination, after all F1 is about manufacturers. There are single make formulas if you want to pit drivers against each other. Personally I didn't mind Red Bull winning everything, even though I'm a mclaren fan. They made the fastest car and deserved to win but I think the fragile tyres actually helped them because Vettel just seemed to go really easy on them.

And Lewis Hamilton consistently fucks his up. Surely, with either man, it's more than a coincidence?"

I don't think so, when you look through the season, half a dozen cars had nightmares with the tyres, altho, I do think that when Hamilton is on it, he doesn't help them, but then agaIn, Button had problems with his tyres and he is one of the best for tyre management...

"

Last year was really bad for McLaren though, no real sniff of success.

Yeah, they built a dog! On the up side they stopped developing it pretty early and concentrated on this year instead and hopefully it's worked for them. As I said before, the rear suspension is pretty clever and won't be easy for others to copy. If you look at every year since 2009 the rear of the car has been decisive. 2009 Brawn double diffuser, 2010-2012 red bull exhaust blown diffuser, 2013 coanda exhaust. With their aerodynamic suspension I think they'll have the best rear downforce and get a jump on the rest of the field. "

For me the jury is still out. I think the engine and recovery systems reliability will have a far greater influence than aero or design or balancing...

Here and there

agreed, but they were easist on the tyres, because newey came up with the right formula ... I would love to see a race between hamilton, vettel, alonso, raikkenen ..... in identical marussia's .... lol"

Well, arguably the lotus was easier on it's tyres but the red bull was just plain quicker.

Yeah, that would be a race! In a sprint race, 20 odd laps, Hamilton would have it, full distance I'd have to say Alonso or Raikonnen.

Not happy with the kick in the nuts to Whitmarsh! magnussen set fastest time of the day so its looking good for mclaren so far

Have they reassigned a new position for whitmarsh yet "

Not seen today's action yet... but the last rumour I caught was whitmarsh and Renault...

"

agreed, but they were easist on the tyres, because newey came up with the right formula ... I would love to see a race between hamilton, vettel, alonso, raikkenen ..... in identical marussia's .... lol

Well, arguably the lotus was easier on it's tyres but the red bull was just plain quicker.

Yeah, that would be a race! In a sprint race, 20 odd laps, Hamilton would have it, full distance I'd have to say Alonso or Raikonnen. "

but if you saying they would have it on full distance, are you saying that tyre wear would be the deciding factor?

Here and there

"

Yeah, that would be a race! In a sprint race, 20 odd laps, Hamilton would have it, full distance I'd have to say Alonso or Raikonnen.

but if you saying they would have it on full distance, are you saying that tyre wear would be the deciding factor?"

I wasn't really thinking about tyres, I just think Alonso is smarter over a full race. Hamilton throws it away as often as he keeps it together and Raikonnen is just super cool, if the win is on he'll take it.

"

but if you saying they would have it on full distance, are you saying that tyre wear would be the deciding factor?

I wasn't really thinking about tyres, I just think Alonso is smarter over a full race. Hamilton throws it away as often as he keeps it together and Raikonnen is just super cool, if the win is on he'll take it. "

I actually think that for the most part. Hamilton was just plain unlucky for the last 2 seasons.. he either got taken out or the car broke...

Alonso is an awsome driver and since he left McLaren, I like him much more. As for Raikonnen, I cant stand him... I think he is arrogant, but I agree that if a win is on, he will take it, no matter what..

Will be interesting to see how Grosjean goes, provided he has a competitive car, he finished last season very strongly.

It'll be another shit season unless Pirelli come up with a more durable Tyre.

Hamilton is a fantastic racer - reminds me of Mansell - but if he has to look after his tyres from lap 3, that just isn't motor racing!!

Adrian Newey is the reason why Vettle is so easy on the tyres, - the car was designed around him rather than Webber.

We may as well see Newey crowned Durex World Champion - presented by pirelli!

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

Each to there own and all that, but watched an interview on Skysports F1...was akin to ten minutes in Kwikfit!..they were listening to an engine noise behind closed doors and verging on orgasms...come on boys it's time Mummy stopped you making vrmmmm noises on the kitchen floor!....lol

Here and there

"

I wasn't really thinking about tyres, I just think Alonso is smarter over a full race. Hamilton throws it away as often as he keeps it together and Raikonnen is just super cool, if the win is on he'll take it.

I actually think that for the most part. Hamilton was just plain unlucky for the last 2 seasons.. he either got taken out or the car broke...

Alonso is an awsome driver and since he left McLaren, I like him much more. As for Raikonnen, I cant stand him... I think he is arrogant, but I agree that if a win is on, he will take it, no matter what.. "

Unlucky? Maybe! But he did throw it off the track a few times and when he got taken off it was by someone like Maldonado or grojean and if you're going wheel to wheel with them you should know to be a bit more careful!

I've never liked Alonso, don't know why cause he's a great driver, he just reminds me of a Dick Dastardly kind of character, I just don't want him to win. I love Raikonnen just because he doesn't give a fuck. He doesn't care for all the politics of the sport, he just gets in the car and drives it as fast as he can and for me that's what a formula one driver should be. But first and foremost I'm a mclaren fan so I'll be cheering on Jenson and the new guy magnussen.

Come on Lewis !! lol"

I haven't seen or heard any footage yet - but it sounds like at long last they're sounding like the 'REAL', grunty yanky V8's rather than their high-pitched, singing European counterparts; the former sounds like a Lion & the latter like a fucking mosquito!!!

Johnny Herbert did an hilarious impression off the new engine.. I was in tears laughing so much. Do think Hamilton as a chance this season. Looking forward to the season starting

Raikonnen our favourite driver. Talented and inspiring to see how much the man has achieved for himself despite his obvious social awkwardness.

Watch his lack of eye contact (whenever he isn't wearing reflective sunglasses), monotone dialogue (in both English and mother tongue), his very black and white views on things - no grey areas with him and read/heard some of this clearly ritualistic / routine driven behaviour. It's clear the man is on the Autistic Spectrum and that it has not held him back in any way.

Way to go Kimi you deserve all the success you get.

Not happy with the kick in the nuts to Whitmarsh! magnussen set fastest time of the day so its looking good for mclaren so far

Have they reassigned a new position for whitmarsh yet

Not seen today's action yet... but the last rumour I caught was whitmarsh and Renault..."

makes sense straight swap for boullier tbh reanult will do better with him I can't see boullier making big impact at mclaren

McLaren having Ron Dennis Back running the show can only be a good thing.

Hate F1 with a passion

» Add a new message to this topic