FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > nature/nurture... is it really 50/50?

nature/nurture... is it really 50/50?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How much do you think genetics and enviroment bring to a person..

I met my dad for the 1st time aged 13 and was shocked how much we had in common. It could have been chance or are things routed from day one?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"How much do you think genetics and enviroment bring to a person..

I met my dad for the 1st time aged 13 and was shocked how much we had in common. It could have been chance or are things routed from day one? "

More like wired from day -270ish.

DNA has a lot to answer for,

yours

dyslexic Dan

By *imwildWoman  over a year ago

around

I definitely think personality is part of DNA just like hair, eye color etc.

I'd say that some things are definitely routed, like your father, but other things maybe not.........

I believe whole heartedly in nurture, being adopted I have since met my family and I must say if I had stayed with them id probably be a complete down and outer. thanks to my adoptive family and only them I like to think im relatively successful, happy and generally a nice person that's all thanks to nurture

As above except I don't know my birth family. I have a lot to thank my parents for (father no longer with us), I would have been stuck in a children's home in Jersey CI had they not adopted me

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

DNA definitely gives a high disposition to certain behaviours. However it is my belief that with the right training from day 1 most behaviours can be modified.

An earlier poster said that on meeting their father at 13 they were surprised at the similarities, why?

IMO.

Most families are the same, there may be differences in relative wealth or size but the family unit and the interaction between parents and children is broadly similar. Its part of the reason societies work.

By *eryBigGirlWoman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

I love this debate and have spent a lot of time on research and only in my opinion nurture has more effect than nature.

Yes there are many things that genetically we are predisposed to such as eye colour, hair colour, height etc and indeed some personality traits too but who we grow into is determined by much more than genes such as social and environmental factors. Then during adolescence into adulthood there's also determinism or free will which can change the argument yet again!!

I look at my parents who are racist, bigoted and homophobic yet I am tolerant and have many friends who are homosexual or ethnically different to me. If it was simply genetics then I wouldn't and even using the nurture argument one would think I would still have these traits but that's were free will comes in. Despite my upbringing I chose to have drastically different opinions to my parents.

My own daughter who is adopted will always have traits of her biological parents because she is genetically tied to them but anyone who knows my daughter knows that personality wise she is a complete 'mini me'.

I work with neglected children who have started life with good genes with parents who are fit and healthy, good weigh, height and of a good level of intelligence so expectation are the child will follow the same path. However due to severe neglect the child is malnourished which results in their failure to thrive leaving them with stunted growth and delayed development which highlights nurture as the overriding factor.

There will always be examples that argue either either way and contradict each opposing view but for me nurture tends to over balance nature

"I believe whole heartedly in nurture, being adopted I have since met my family and I must say if I had stayed with them id probably be a complete down and outer. thanks to my adoptive family and only them I like to think im relatively successful, happy and generally a nice person that's all thanks to nurture "

"I believe whole heartedly in nurture, being adopted I have since met my family and I must say if I had stayed with them id probably be a complete down and outer. thanks to my adoptive family and only them I like to think im relatively successful, happy and generally a nice person that's all thanks to nurture

"

couldnt agree more, im not my father's biological daughter but im more like him personality wise than my mum

By *extoysareusCouple  over a year ago

kinky heaven

Its more nurture than nature, your day to day experiences change your outlook on life and can always go one way or another and then how your coping mechanisms deal with change and tolerances.

Again its how you define yourself

By *extoysareusCouple  over a year ago

kinky heaven

But then again if you believe in star signs its nature

"But then again if you believe in star signs its nature "

Why anyone would want to believe in star signs is beyond me...

But each to their own I suppose.

i would say its more of a 70/30 split in favour of nurture.

dna only really handles the looks of someone, everything else comes from what we pick up as we go along, in life.

i am as far removed from my parents as you would be from them.

we dont share any of the same interests, or the same opinions on much, but i am honest and caring, much like they are.

but then again, i am told i behave like my dad (a moaning bastard! lol) so generally, everything i am, has been learned and picked up throughout life.

» Add a new message to this topic