FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What is wrong with Horse Meat

What is wrong with Horse Meat

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As another article has come to light with Aldi stating that a percentage of their beef products have horse meat in them I am asking what is wrong with horse meat provided we have informed information at that it be labelled on the packaging.

Horse meat is already eaten on the Continent and people choose from pheasant to rabbit to roadkill to the usual meats you find in butchers.

Apologies for all the veggies and vegans out there and I am looking for a good clean debate please x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

technically we could probably solve the worlds hunger problems by eating insects...for a fraction of the cost of breeding mammals, a fraction of the distress(if we want to classify the insect brain as a bit less of a sensory system that lets say a dog,cat,cow,chicken)

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

i think a major problem is the provenence .. if the meat is not easily traceable .. sub standard product could easily be used .. and also high levels of horse antibiotic could enter our food chain

Absolutely nothing wrong with it if labelled correctly. That in itself was the issue.

Oh, except that it maybe discriminates against eating scabby donkeys.

As in "I'm so hungry i could eat a ....."

"As another article has come to light with Aldi stating that a percentage of their beef products have horse meat in them I am asking what is wrong with horse meat provided we have informed information at that it be labelled on the packaging.

Horse meat is already eaten on the Continent and people choose from pheasant to rabbit to roadkill to the usual meats you find in butchers.

Apologies for all the veggies and vegans out there and I am looking for a good clean debate please x "

Nothing apart from UK public perception. Many other countries eat it i think the big issue is labeling and knowing exactly is in what you are eating.

"As another article has come to light with Aldi stating that a percentage of their beef products have horse meat in them I am asking what is wrong with horse meat provided we have informed information at that it be labelled on the packaging.

Apologies for all the veggies and vegans out there and I am looking for a good clean debate please x "

Never intensionally tried it, but people I know who have had horse steaks tell me it's much tastier than beef steak.

If you order steak in Italy apparently unless you ask for beef it is more than likely you will be served horse.

British people seem to have in the main been dumbed down to mass produced pork, beef, chicken, lamb and the occasional turkey. We do seem to be adverse to eating anything that could be kept as a pet.

My Staffies back legs look meaty

I woudnt want to eat it

I dont know about anyone else but if im paying top £ for a beef steak i dont want a cheap cut of horse that costs a lot less then the real deal. a great con

Same as when I was on holiday in Spain a few years ago ordered a burger and unknowingly it was horse and not beef did not tell the difference.

So if it was labelled and if people had the choice would they buy it why not have it out in the open so we know where the source of the meat is coming from x

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

No problem with eating them as long as they are labelled correctly, have the correct meat withdraw on meds etc.

well the horse by many is seen as mans other best friend I would say.We give them respect because we train them to work for us.People dont like to know when they have lived out their usefulness as either working horses or racehorses/showhorses they will be put to the slaughter

anyway, I wont mind eating lab grown meat either...just depends if it had a great life being just a piece of meat.

"well the horse by many is seen as mans other best friend I would say.We give them respect because we train them to work for us.People dont like to know when they have lived out their usefulness as either working horses or racehorses/showhorses they will be put to the slaughter

anyway, I wont mind eating lab grown meat either...just depends if it had a great life being just a piece of meat."

Free Range Horse has a ring to it x

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

"well the horse by many is seen as mans other best friend I would say.We give them respect because we train them to work for us.People dont like to know when they have lived out their usefulness as either working horses or racehorses/showhorses they will be put to the slaughter

"

Glue factory anyone?

anyway, I wont mind eating lab grown meat either...just depends if it had a great life being just a piece of meat.

Free Range Horse has a ring to it x"

thats my bellend u can hear

"

Absolutely nothing wrong with it if labelled correctly. That in itself was the issue.

Oh, except that it maybe discriminates against eating scabby donkeys.

As in "I'm so hungry i could eat a .....""

N-a-a-a-a-a-y, you're wrong, look what it's done to my speech!!!

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Black Beauty or Tonto ?

You decide, the choice is yours

Aren't some horse meats found in the scandal injected with substances that are not suitable for human consumption therefore with no knowledge of being able to see the microscopic impacts of this in the meat it could affect human health - which goes back to the argument there is no trace where the meat came from. Added to this if there is a disease in the horse - affects human life they will be no trace of where it is from thus wide spread. I am not against horse meat but like rest of poultry it should be managed and legally enforced the same way - unfortunately higher costs but a small price to pay. And agree labelled on packages correctly

"Aren't some horse meats found in the scandal injected with substances that are not suitable for human consumption therefore with no knowledge of being able to see the microscopic impacts of this in the meat it could affect human health - which goes back to the argument there is no trace where the meat came from. Added to this if there is a disease in the horse - affects human life they will be no trace of where it is from thus wide spread. I am not against horse meat but like rest of poultry it should be managed and legally enforced the same way - unfortunately higher costs but a small price to pay. And agree labelled on packages correctly"

We have already had the scandal of bird flu and mad cow disease sounds rather rude but all farms should be licensed and live stock too organically nurtured x

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Eat what you want but all food should be properly controlled and fit for consumption. Medical products used on animals, including horses, can remain in their bodies and can cause illness or human death. Potentially that medication could interact with human meds. Would you want a loved ones cancer treatment to fail, just because some con had put meat unfit for human consumption into our food supply chain? Overall, all items sold should be as described and fit for purpose, and certainly not dangerous.

Had my eye on a deer wandering passed my living room window, this evening, 'hmmmmmmmmm', no antibiotic poisoning worries there................but lead maybe?

By *eno_2004Man  over a year ago

Bishops Stortford

The fact the meat can't be traced raises concerns about how safe it is to eat given that some horses are exposed to and treated some dangerous chemicals. Saying that horse meat in itself is actually really good and a great source of protien

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Id rather not eat horse but if push come to shove and it was the only meat available in order to keep myself alive then yes....remember findus lasagne it did not even contain beef

"Black Beauty or Tonto ?

You decide, the choice is yours "

Errrrrrmmmmmm... Horse Meat or cannibalism...!?

I know which one I'd go for Kimo Sabe...

Making it an aim to try some "cheval" while I'm out here!

By *errynjuneCouple  over a year ago

Barnsley

I would love to try My little pony, bet its sweet juicy and tender.

But downside could be a bit of plastic after taste,

Tried it once

Gave me the trots

By *imwildWoman  over a year ago

around

Nothing wrong with horse meat if bred for consumption. It's using horses that potentially have been pumped with drugs not suitable for human consumption thats the worry.

i dont find anything wrong with horse meat. Ive eaten in and it was ok. What im not happy at is the cross contamination of horse meat into other products which leads you to believe that at some point in the production process a piece of equipment wasnt cleaned properly or the manufacturing process wasnt folowed and meats from different sources was mixed together, so what else was in there as well?

Don't get me started I don't eat very much meat at all ............. and as a horse lover I would eat bugs never never horses ...... We won our wars in the passed from the help of our war horses and until you have owned had them in your life you may never understand what a close bond you can have .. I trust my horses jumping jumps bigger then five bar gates as wide as my car to keep my girls safe and they do .

In some parts of the world they eat dogs and cats ... next you will be finding that in your meat .

By *raggleRocCouple  over a year ago

Morpeth

It's from a horse!

"It's from a horse! "
Horses are my pets like dogs and cats how would they feel having there dog and cat in there beef ? .

Horse meat is very nice indeed.

Why cant we eat it,just because someone has one as a PET.

Lots of folk had pet pigs a few years ago.

People see Lambs as cute,but have no remorse at eating them.

Most meat we eat is bred just for that purpose.

Does anyone actually believe, the fields of farms would be full of animals, if they were not going to turned into out Sunday lunch ?????

If its more profitable to use horse meat bred for consumption,then why not

"Horse meat is very nice indeed.

Why cant we eat it,just because someone has one as a PET.

Lots of folk had pet pigs a few years ago.

People see Lambs as cute,but have no remorse at eating them.

Most meat we eat is bred just for that purpose.

Does anyone actually believe, the fields of farms would be full of animals, if they were not going to turned into out Sunday lunch ?????

If its more profitable to use horse meat bred for consumption,then why not

"

well I eat fish not red meat . my family eat meat but its not my thing . In china you would be eating dogs and a lot of things we don't eat here ,.

It's neigh bother eating horsey,it can be part of a stable diet!

Different cultures have different delicacies x

By *errynjuneCouple  over a year ago

Barnsley

Can handle it as a mane but as a starter, think its probably a non-runner.

» Add a new message to this topic