FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > I'm gobsmacked!

I'm gobsmacked!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So I've received a letter from nursery today stating that they've noticed parents are collecting some children after their agreed collection time.. This letter has been given to the parents who receive the 15hrs per week grant.

So they have said that any child who is collected late will be subject to a surcharge of £1.00 per minute!!

The nursery is private, I'm wondering if this is actually allowed.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Money grabbing so and so's!!!

Wow

For my pre school is five pounds for each fifteen mins that you are late

If late by 45 mins and they can't contact you they call police and report an abandoned child

You always have the option to remove your children and provide child-care (often known as motherhood) yourself.

On a legal basis it does sound to be an unfair contractual term, if it's a contract at all.

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Thought they had been charging for late pick up for years .. at that rate too. not unusual in berkshire anyway. People take the piss .. dont be late picking them up..

It happens in the vets drives me crazy peoples tardiness in keeping an appointment. you get 15 mins you late you get 5 and its still going to cost the same fee..

Check the contract you signed.

all of the above in private settings is so very real but surely a little give and take go a long way !!!

"Wow

If late by 45 mins and they can't contact you they call police and report an abandoned child "

I think your fee is fair .. Regarding the 45 mins late I suppose that's fair enough

By *ampWithABrainWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Standard. Lots of parents take the mick. It's prob in the contract but cos too many parents playing silly beggars they're clamping down? Most places don't mind if you're less than 15 mins late but I've heard of parents turning up 2-3hours late!!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Wow

If late by 45 mins and they can't contact you they call police and report an abandoned child "

its been going on since my son was little

"

You always have the option to remove your children and provide child-care (often known as motherhood) yourself.

On a legal basis it does sound to be an unfair contractual term, if it's a contract at all. "

Oh I know all about motherhood, they only attend for 3 hours per day!

I don't have a contract.

"Wow

If late by 45 mins and they can't contact you they call police and report an abandoned child

I think your fee is fair .. Regarding the 45 mins late I suppose that's fair enough "

They told me this when my ex forgot to pick up my son

I was devastated

But I think it's fair

"Thought they had been charging for late pick up for years .. at that rate too. not unusual in berkshire anyway. People take the piss .. dont be late picking them up..

It happens in the vets drives me crazy peoples tardiness in keeping an appointment. you get 15 mins you late you get 5 and its still going to cost the same fee.."

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a late fee but just think the rate is extremely high

"

On a legal basis it does sound to be an unfair contractual term, if it's a contract at all.

I don't have a contract. "

I suspect you do. It doesn't have to be written, you know.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"

On a legal basis it does sound to be an unfair contractual term, if it's a contract at all. "

Lol you sounded such a bloke with that statement...have you thought she might want some her time..

"Wow

I think your fee is fair .. Regarding the 45 mins late I suppose that's fair enough

I was devastated

But I think it's fair

"

Unfortunately some do abandon their children, nursery's need guidelines . Ide be devastated too.

"

Lol you sounded such a bloke with that statement...have you thought she might want some her time.."

Lol I agree

It's the beginning of the childs education

Should we home school as well ?

"Thought they had been charging for late pick up for years .. at that rate too. not unusual in berkshire anyway. People take the piss .. dont be late picking them up..

It happens in the vets drives me crazy peoples tardiness in keeping an appointment. you get 15 mins you late you get 5 and its still going to cost the same fee..

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a late fee but just think the rate is extremely high"

As far as I'm aware they can charge what they like...it's a high charge for a minute late though but it's a business and they have to make money well in their eyes

"Standard. Lots of parents take the mick. It's prob in the contract but cos too many parents playing silly beggars they're clamping down? Most places don't mind if you're less than 15 mins late but I've heard of parents turning up 2-3hours late!!"

2-3 hours

"Wow

I was devastated

But I think it's fair

Unfortunately some do abandon their children, nursery's need guidelines . Ide be devastated too. "

I was he had fell asleep

I was so upset

But I won't go into all that

"

I don't have a contract.

I suspect you do. It doesn't have to be written, you know. "

Well if there was one then Ide have a copy surely.. I havent

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a late fee but just think the rate is extremely high

As far as I'm aware they can charge what they like...it's a high charge for a minute late though but it's a business and they have to make money well in their eyes "

Exactly.. I'm usually early but I have been late by 5 mins on a couple of occasions, I have two children there so I'm assuming Ide be charged £2.00 per minute

"Standard. Lots of parents take the mick. It's prob in the contract but cos too many parents playing silly beggars they're clamping down? Most places don't mind if you're less than 15 mins late but I've heard of parents turning up 2-3hours late!!

2-3 hours "

That's awful!

Think of it from their point of view, too? They have to employ people at overtime rates if they have to stay longer than contracted.

"

Lol you sounded such a bloke with that statement...have you thought she might want some her time..

Lol I agree

Should we home school as well ?"

here kids cant get into school without going to playgroup/nursery first and 3hours a day isnt all that much and helps with seperation anxiety and helps them with being around other kids.

"

Lol I agree

here kids cant get into school without going to playgroup/nursery first and 3hours a day isnt all that much and helps with seperation anxiety and helps them with being around other kids. "

Learning through play

Very important I think !

And I like my three hours to myself lol

"

Lol I agree

Should we home school as well ?"

Isn't it accepted wisdom, fact almost, that the children that did better at school were the ones who were cared for by their mothers upto age 5?

"

Lol I agree

here kids cant get into school without going to playgroup/nursery first and 3hours a day isnt all that much and helps with seperation anxiety and helps them with being around other kids.

Learning through play

Very important I think !

And I like my three hours to myself lol "

You can have a nap...do the washing have a meet or chill..I'm not a mother but totally understand I need for you time

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I believe this would fall within the remit of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, as it is a business, they would have to satisfy the reasonableness test and this would fail. A contract does not have to be written.

"So I've received a letter from nursery today stating that they've noticed parents are collecting some children after their agreed collection time.. This letter has been given to the parents who receive the 15hrs per week grant.

So they have said that any child who is collected late will be subject to a surcharge of £1.00 per minute!!

The nursery is private, I'm wondering if this is actually allowed. "

we used to get a late surcharge at ours of £5 per 15 mins but a pound a minute sounds steep!

"

Lol I agree

Learning through play

Very important I think !

And I like my three hours to myself lol

You can have a nap...do the washing have a meet or chill..I'm not a mother but totally understand I need for you time "

Absolutely !

I cherish it lol

It's housework

Food shop

Maybe fall asleep if it's Friday and been up at five all week lol

"

Lol I agree

Isn't it accepted wisdom, fact almost, that the children that did better at school were the ones who were cared for by their mothers upto age 5? "

Canis times have changed...everyone deserves some them time and there is nothing to suggest that children will not excel...more women have full time jobs etc it's 2014 now things are different

"Think of it from their point of view, too? They have to employ people at overtime rates if they have to stay longer than contracted."

The nursery is open from 7-7 these fees are for the children that receive grants .. So the children attend 9-12 or 12-3 so no overtime staff rates are affected

"

Lol I agree

Isn't it accepted wisdom, fact almost, that the children that did better at school were the ones who were cared for by their mothers upto age 5?

Canis times have changed...everyone deserves some them time and there is nothing to suggest that children will not excel...more women have full time jobs etc it's 2014 now things are different "

Yer kidding me, it's 2014. Where did 1974 get to?

ps 1974 not chosen entirely randomly.

"

Lol I agree

Isn't it accepted wisdom, fact almost, that the children that did better at school were the ones who were cared for by their mothers upto age 5? "

Sorry but I think that is absolute rubbish!

Children thrive at pre school , learn to share and mix with others

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

45 years ago when I was 3 there was no such thing as nursery but I did go to play group twice a week. When I started school at 5 I was used to being apart from my mum, my sister was a baby so I wouldn't have had any friends if I hadn't have gone.

Some of the children who had never left their parents used to scream the place down

"

Lol I agree

Canis times have changed...everyone deserves some them time and there is nothing to suggest that children will not excel...more women have full time jobs etc it's 2014 now things are different

Yer kidding me, it's 2014. Where did 1974 get to?

ps 1974 not chosen entirely randomly."

Stop being a smarty pants

"

Lol I agree

In Finland, reputed to have one of the best education systems in the world they start at 7, no testing in first 6 years, no homework until 13 or 14. Teachers are paid as well as doctors, with an equal social standing.

OP, do they promise a staff to child level? Are the people whose children are there after 3 and paying for the placement expecting a certain ratio? If they come in and find their child in a group of 20 instead of 15 are they going to be happy? Obviously the charge is one that makes you considerably more likely to be there at the correct time. Probably a crap comparison but last time I took my van to a main dealer they wanted £65 an hour which made me go

They're not just covering their overheads they're fining you for being late.

Is it fair? Nope, is it harsh? Yep, does it make you pick your child up promptly? I hope so.

"

Lol I agree

In Finland, reputed to have one of the best education systems in the world they start at 7, no testing in first 6 years, no homework until 13 or 14. Teachers are paid as well as doctors, with an equal social standing.

OP, do they promise a staff to child level? Are the people whose children are there after 3 and paying for the placement expecting a certain ratio? If they come in and find their child in a group of 20 instead of 15 are they going to be happy? Obviously the charge is one that makes you considerably more likely to be there at the correct time. Probably a crap comparison but last time I took my van to a main dealer they wanted £65 an hour which made me go

Is it fair? Nope, is it harsh? Yep, does it make you pick your child up promptly? I hope so.

"

The points you make are very valid, charges are very harsh yes .. I do think that some children will end up without a nursery placement though because of these fees being introduced.

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

"

Lol I agree

"

Great points made there ...38 and 35 years ago when I needed help with my kids twice a week we had no subsidised nursery's every play school was pay only and you had two or two and half hours two mornings or afternoons. Couldnt afford any more. Didnt dare be late but then I am a fanatical time keeper cannot bare anyone being late in my lines of work. An appointment is just that.. keep it or pay. The points above tell it all.

I am darn sure if you are delayed once you will be given a chance. Not everyone is genuine .

"Think of it from their point of view, too? They have to employ people at overtime rates if they have to stay longer than contracted.

The nursery is open from 7-7 these fees are for the children that receive grants .. So the children attend 9-12 or 12-3 so no overtime staff rates are affected "

Sorry then - I was wrong. I don't have experience of nurseries. I should know better than to comment on subjects about which I am ignorant. I always get the urge to play devil's advocate but I should know better. It always gets me in trouble.

For every minute I'mlate to work I lose 15.minutes pay

Blast from the past with playschool. My mum used to clean the church hall afterwards so I always got to stay and have all the toys to myself

» Add a new message to this topic